• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Axew: Wasted potential or a good character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Wasted potential and I just dont like it in general.

Other then mastering dragon sneeze and some scattered instances I didnt feel like Axew grew as much as it should. Its battles were really forced, and there's simply some stupid crap liek outrage (only used ONCE to instantly win a battle), it constantly getting lost and just in general I didnt feel like it grew that much because it was there to be a marketing shill

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Wasted potential. He wanted to evolve.... Iris wants to be a Dragon master. But no, let's just give her a fully evolved Dragonite she didn't deserve instead. Axew should have at least become a Fraxure

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Were any of Iris' pokemon really handled well? Her team was sort of like Misty's in the sense they gave her some various haphazard pokemon but didn't make any real good use of them. You couldn't get invested in Misty or Iris' teams because you know their pokemon were never being developed toward anything and had no mainstream goals like Contests to battle in.

I'd agree with this to a certain extent, Misty's team did have a few pokemon that stood out, Psyduck in particular. Yes it was used as a comedy act, but I still feel like there was some sort of development there with it. I'll agree though, the rest of her team didn't really develop much but then again, its quite hard to develop Staryu and Starmie and give them a bit of personality, same with Goldeen when the only time really it can come out of its pokeball is in water, Horsea had a bit of personality to it, but again it couldn't come out unless in water.

That said, from watching episodes of BW at the moment, Excadrill isn't too bad, it had the story where it was disobedient, but that was overcome quickly, still the episode where it did overcome it was a nice bit of character development for it, where we could see that it did care for Iris, but it also isn't a pokemon who liked to show emotion, its a shame it got shafted by Dragonite. Actually looking at BW overall, I think Iris' pokemon were developing slowly, but nicely over BW, but then the problem was that when Dragonite was introduced, it sort of felt like the rest of her team became redundant.

Janovy

Banned

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Iris herself was wasted potentail as a dragon user on the main cast...
in the next season Ash becomes a better dragon user than she ever will... besides the fact his dragons lost a bunnch :p

So dumb to give her multiple high leveled pokemon instead of her restarting her journey. I could see one high level pokemon kept secret from way before, but two in the end?

Last edited:

Kazuki Mirai

And she did what to make Axew learn all these powerful moves?

Let's face it. She's no different from other main cast who had things handed to them on a silver platter.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Wasted potential. I found it awkward that she carried it around in her hair. I didn't like that it was so child-like. I would have been more impressed if Axew had evolved at some point (or before we even met Iris) instead of trying to compete with Pikachu for role of cute sidekick.

Bonnie and Dedenne kind of bother me too, though.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Wasted potential. I found it awkward that she carried it around in her hair. I didn't like that it was so child-like. I would have been more impressed if Axew had evolved at some point (or before we even met Iris) instead of trying to compete with Pikachu for role of cute sidekick.

Bonnie and Dedenne kind of bother me too, though.

an axew weighs around 40 lbs... it'd rip out her hair and she'd be bald by the time she ended the journey with Ash.

Now we know she wears a wig..

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Well Ash did hold a Lavitar without problem, so weight is really inconsistent in the anime

Ash is the same guy who held a Pignite with ease and carried as well as throwed Mewtwo into a stream in Mewtwto Returns. He also has shown a LOT of strength feats

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Makes me wonder if Iris was only intended to have 3 pokemon for all of BW, and her Axew was originally intended to evolve all the way, but then the writers scraped that idea and gave her a Dragonite instead.
It's pretty obvious Dragonite is a result of the sequels happening and the show being forced to promote them, hence the introduction of pre-gen 5 Pokemon in season 2.

I highly doubt Iris was supposed to get a Dragonite, but I'm glad she did.

Status
Not open for further replies.