• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Azumarill Discussion Thread

McDanger

azumarill.jpg

Stats
100/50/80/60/80/50

Azumarill is one of the older pokemon to gain a new fairy type with the generation switch, and has become one of the most threatening pokemon in OU with its ability huge power, as well as its coverage with play rough, superpower, waterfall, and ice punch. Azumarill can take multiple offensive roles with its bulk and access to aqua jet, which makes it a bit unpredictable, and is backed by solid enough bulk.

Discuss sets, roles, partners, checks, and counters

Sets
Belly Drum
Sub Punch

Last edited:

GriffinTheGreat

Salamence Trainer
Azumarill is an absolute MONSTER this gen. The fairy typing gives it crucial resists and Play Rough is a great STAB.

Personally, I run a Belly Drum set that is able to 6-0 certain teams.

Azumarill @ Splash Plate
Adamant Nature
252 HP/252 Attack/4 Speed
Aqua Jet
Belly Drum
SuperPower
Play Rough

LinksOcarina

The true master
Finally out into OU for sure. Although like everything else out there we will see a rise in unorthadox threats to check Azumarill.

Bulky grass types come to mind, Tangrowth comes to mind as a primary example, that can soak physical hits, even max attack, and dish out STAB damage back. Drapion might also surge a bit since it can be a difficult check to contend with, considering it outspeeds Azumarill and can strike back with poison jab. Although it will struggle if its for that role only I believe.

This is mostly speculation, of course. Others like Rotom-W will likely become major checks too, since they can tank and return fire with electric attacks as well.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Anything that can threaten to outspeed and tank an Aqua Jet (immediately Scarf Rotom-W comes to mind) can check Azumarill. He's a lot better than he was before, but he's far from unstoppable.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
Even though I have never had a problem with azumarill, my record is 57 out of 65 battles on X/Y. my losses were all because of azumarill with aqua jet. my team has a sweeper/stalling element to it and my trump card is cloyster. I have a cloyster with skill link while holding a focus sash to tank special attacks while I set up with shell smash. I thought I had the battle won because my cloyster knew poison jab (still does to take out xerneas users)... that overpowered blue rabbit/bunny, trolled me with aqua jet after I swept his entire team. Kudos to azumarill, I now have it on my battle box team.

McDanger

As with the aegislash thread, i`ll add good sets and options on checks and counters to the first post

Azumarill@Leftovers
Adamant
Huge Power
252 hp/252 attack/4 def
-Waterfall/Aqua Jet
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Play Rough

Azumarill makes a return with its sub punch set from 4th gen, working fantastic again as it gives it more staying power. Evs and nature are standard for all azumarill sets, as is its ability, substitute is the key to the set as it lets it avoid being forced out by pokemon such as rotom wash and grass pokemon like breloom, while allowing it to resist status moves. With a substitute, azumarill can use waterfall over aqua jet, dealing twice the damage, while play rough fuctions as a secondary stab, as well as a coverage move to hit threats that formerally walled it such as rotom wash and gyarados, while focus punch makes use of its substitute to deal massive damage to steels without the draw back of superpower. Azumarill has trouble with four moveslot syndrome, being walled by grass/poison and water/poison pokemon and wishes it could use return and ice punch, but does a good job with the coverage it has.

Zachmac

Thanks to thick fat, Mega Venusaur comes to mind as a counter. Before it mega evolves, it'll have to watch out for Ice Punch, but Venusaur resist Water, Fairy, and Fighting, and it's mega form's thick fat means Ice Punch isn't super effective.

Also, using Showdown's calculator on custom, I found that Choice Band, adamant superpower will only land a 4HKO on Mega Aggron with 0 defense EVs and a neutral nature.

Due to it's nature as a physically offensive tank, Will-o-Wisp is a great way to keep it in check. It can't do much damage if it's ability is balanced out by the burn, and it's ability to tank will be hindered as well with the constantly decreasing HP.

LinksOcarina

The true master
Whats the calculations of the belly drum set against walls like ferrothorn?

Eaglehawk

Banned
I think Azumarill functions better as a Bulky pivot this Generation. I know that the Belly Drum + Aqua Jet is trollishly nice, but it's not really taking advantage of its new defensive potential with the Fairy type. A resistance to Dark, Fighting, and immunity to Dragon gives its many strong switches into common OU tier threats, much like Landorus-T to some degree. With Aqua Jet, it can tank hits and threaten frail **** with Aqua Jet.

Saph~

Serebii Champion x.x
I read about this somewhere on smogon and I've been implementing mega gengar with azu a lot (Drum set). The jist of it is to mega w/ gengar and get off a hypnosis, its been hitting more often i've found as opposed to gen 5. Since shadow tag traps the opps mon you get off a free belly drum free of risks besides a t2 wakeup (if faster which geng usually is). Azumarill's then free to spam Aqua jets or whatever it wants. This is good just for getting off a belly drum free. Sadly its damage output is lackluster. But overall it can easily be OU.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
I read about this somewhere on smogon and I've been implementing mega gengar with azu a lot (Drum set). The jist of it is to mega w/ gengar and get off a hypnosis, its been hitting more often i've found as opposed to gen 5. Since shadow tag traps the opps mon you get off a free belly drum free of risks besides a t2 wakeup (if faster which geng usually is). Azumarill's then free to spam Aqua jets or whatever it wants. This is good just for getting off a belly drum free. Sadly its damage output is lackluster. But overall it can easily be OU.

well technically, any poke has the potential to sweep with enough setting up, haven't you seen the guy on youtube sweep legendaries with magikarp? and sweep OU pokes with sunkern?
look up EPIC (weak pokemon) SWEEP
although Idk if he hacked or not when his Pikachu never missed a dynamicpunch

McDanger

well technically, any poke has the potential to sweep with enough setting up, haven't you seen the guy on youtube sweep legendaries with magikarp? and sweep OU pokes with sunkern?
look up EPIC (weak pokemon) SWEEP
although Idk if he hacked or not when his Pikachu never missed a dynamicpunch

false, any pokemon can sweep as long as its hard counters are removed. Despite getting +6 azumarill struggles to break through mega venusaur, and anything faster than it, while if it lacks hazards, skarmory can come in, live the hit, and phase it out with whirlwind, while focus sash users like breloom can live the hit and hit back with super effective moves or status, namely will o wisp and spore. If something could just boost and boost, then all teams would be HO offensive *cough* BW *cough* but most do better with a balanced style that can remove checks and counters for such pokemon. And tbh, i wouldn't hold youtube videos in high regard as even good ones are considered bad but most competitive people as they make obvious moves or have bad teams in general.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
false, any pokemon can sweep as long as its hard counters are removed. Despite getting +6 azumarill struggles to break through mega venusaur, and anything faster than it, while if it lacks hazards, skarmory can come in, live the hit, and phase it out with whirlwind, while focus sash users like breloom can live the hit and hit back with super effective moves or status, namely will o wisp and spore. If something could just boost and boost, then all teams would be HO offensive *cough* BW *cough* but most do better with a balanced style that can remove checks and counters for such pokemon. And tbh, i wouldn't hold youtube videos in high regard as even good ones are considered bad but most competitive people as they make obvious moves or have bad teams in general.

that's the only exception... im not going to use magikarp for sweeping when my opponent has an aggron =P

I would agree, but one problem is that MegaVenusaur is seldom seen in the current metagame. Since many people might fill their Mega Evolution slots with MKangaskhan, MMawile, or MLucario, I doubt that MVenusaur would become particularly popular. I guess it would depend on Azumarill's rising popularity. Wouldn't a +6 Play Rough put a sizeable dent in MVenusaur, however?

Generally, stopping Azumarill from pulling off a Drum is possible as long as you switch correctly, maybe into Amoonguss. Furthermore, revenge-killing with something like Heliolisk, or switching into an Aqua Jet, shouldn't be ruled off one's books.

McDanger

that's the only exception... im not going to use magikarp for sweeping when my opponent has an aggron =P

I`ld hop you don't use magikarp to sweep in general XD

Azumarill has some trouble with 4 move slot syndrome, having trouble with tentacruel and grass/poisons, wishing it could use return and ice punch to cover its weaknesses, tho as zachmac pointed out, it`ld still struggle to get through mega venusaur due to thick fat, but helps it with uncommon threats such as amoonguss, and a potential new threat vileplume.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
SubDrummer Azumarill is actually halfway decent to be honest.

Only halfway decent though. If your opponent doesn't let it set up it's pretty much deadweight.

if that's decent then whats great?
because after a successful belly drum, aqua jet isn't really something to laugh at

KillerDraco

like... aerodactyl mega style? that's threatening
or even a ninjask supported mega garchomp

...*Facepalms*

I believe what he's saying is that while Belly Drum Azumarill CAN be dangerous, it's also extremely high risk, since you can very easily be killed on the turn you attempt to Belly Drum due to the high HP sacrifice, and anything that is immune to or resists Aqua Jet and outspeeds Azumarill can check it with ease. And if Azumarill has to switch out? Congrats, you just gave up half your HP for nothing.

Risk vs. reward. And as far as high risk is concerned, Belly Drum tops the lists.

ghost_dog97

the sweeper
...*Facepalms*

I believe what he's saying is that while Belly Drum Azumarill CAN be dangerous, it's also extremely high risk, since you can very easily be killed on the turn you attempt to Belly Drum due to the high HP sacrifice, and anything that is immune to or resists Aqua Jet and outspeeds Azumarill can check it with ease. And if Azumarill has to switch out? Congrats, you just gave up half your HP for nothing.

Risk vs. reward. And as far as high risk is concerned, Belly Drum tops the lists.

(sigh) im talking about the reason why he thinks its just "decent". it doesn't have to take an uber to be more than just "decent" you know... and I suppose the F.E.A.R. strategy is just "decent" too right?

KillerDraco

(sigh) im talking about the reason why he thinks its just "decent". it doesn't have to take an uber to be more than just "decent" you know... and I suppose the F.E.A.R. strategy is just "decent" too right?

It's just decent because of its high risk. This is not a difficult concept to understand. There are dozens of ways to sweep a team that don't require you to slash your HP by half. Azumarill is an absolute monster in its own right, but Belly Drum's inherit risk makes it highly gimmicky as your foe can just as easily stop your sweep before it ever happens.

And I'd say calling FEAR "decent" would be an overstatement, because it's easily the most gimmicky strategy ever. It's easily screwed over by any competent player who knows to use status moves, sandstorm, hail, leftovers, or priority. It's not something to take seriously.