• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

B/W & B/W2, Two Stories? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchog

Lv. 50
​One cannot simply assume that the story of B/W was better than B/W2 although B/W2 is better, The Story of B/W and B/W2 Are one as a whole, Divided in two games. With that being said the "story" of B/W is no different from B/W2 or vise-versa, Why? Maybe Because of it being part of it as direct sequel, Wich is why you need to play both games in order to have a complete understanding of the main story.​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Do you, Like me, Visualize the story of B/W and B/W2 as one main story? Or' as two completely separeted stories with irrelevant connections to eachother?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
They're two entirely separate plots that share some antagonists. You can understand most of BW2 without having played BW1.

aquriomaster

Hyori Hasama
They're two entirely separate plots that share some antagonists. You can understand most of BW2 without having played BW1.

so very true Although people will still say they are connected
i face this alot with friends

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I see BW1 connected to BW2 the same way that RB/LGFR is to GSC/HGSS. As Hilbert/Hilda/Red(/Leaf) you set in motion things that that would form parts of the story of Nate/Rosa/Ethan/Lyra. Red(/Leaf) shut down Team Rocket and became the Champ. Hilbert/Hilda stopped Team Plasma and did a few things

It's like The Hobbit connected to Lord of the Rings. I bet most of you see the LOTR movies/read the Books, and not read The Hobbit. BW2/GSC/HGSS/LOTR told you parts of the story that you needed to know for that game while not really spoiling the plot of the Previous "instalment".

One series of "books" that does this resonably well is known as the "Share Series" or official "Trader Tales" (actually Free Audiobooks : http://podiobooks.com/series/a-traders-tale-from-the-golden-age-of-the-solar-clipper/ ) written in a way you can enjoy one book on it's own, and reach a reasonable conclusion, and in later books the returning Characters get a small reintroduction. The First three books are set just after the other books, give or take a few hours or days. (Before anyone starts complaining that I'm linking to illegal Material, I am not. According to Dr Lowell himself, he gave Podiobooks the permission to host the Audiobook versions, before the Print Edition (now out of print) . Actually Owners Share was so popular it killed their servers.) I've listen to it a few times. None of the books are Cliff hanger closers, some episodes are.

Flame Mistress

They're two separate plots, though they're connected to each other. Besides, B2W2's plot was terrible; even if they were trying to show how Team Plasma was decaying, either the translators messed up, or it was just bad from the start.

Aegon

So, Do you, Like me, Visualize the story of B/W and B/W2 as one main story? Or' as two completely separeted stories with irrelevant connections to eachother?
Why such excessively contrasting options? Can't the stories be connected (as they quite evidently are)?

Dreamy

I get what you are saying, but you can go into BW2 with little to no knowledge of BW and understand pretty well what is going on.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
The stories of BW and BW2 are connected in the fact that the events of the prequel affect events of the sequel, yeah. They're not connected in that a player is able to understand the events of BW2 even when they haven't played BW yet, as many have already mentioned.

Having said this, I think it's the execution of BW and BW2's events that compel people to say that either BW or BW2's "story" is "better" than the other, whatever "execution" may mean to the individual player.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess

^ Exactly. The stories are simply connected to each other. Knowing the story in BW gives you a better understanding of the story in BW2, but you can still understand it quite well without BW. You can also get a good idea of the background story by speaking with some of the NPCs.

ForeverFlame

BW1 is a complete story and BW2 is a complete story. They're separate stories that are connected to each other (I thought that should have been obvious).

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
They are two separate stories, but they're connected at the same time. Thanks to Unova Link.

Jaguartail

BW2 is way seperate. BW1 is Plasma before the split. BW2 is Plasma after the split. BW1 is the start of Cheren and Bianca, BW2 is where they ended up later in life. It's completely possible to understand BW2 without having played BW1 at all.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
They are seperate stories, most people who've never BW have played B2 and W2, and still love the stories because they are complete without the player playing the first games. Now I have played White and W2, so this isn't me, but some people I know never played the originals and still had a kick as* time with the sequals.

silver_phoenix

Fluffy Pokemon Trainer
It really doesn't matter to 9 year old kids who will play a game without even caring about the story as long as they can play it until they get bored.

Jacobthepokemonfreak

Fly it all away!
They are just 2 stories entertwined.

Though BW's story was somewhat better.
Why can't GF make a Great story that requires you to say...beat the E4 and see the credits roll Once and THEN save the world from whatever having the credits roll once again after foiling say Team Earths Plan. Kudos to those who understood the reference to a certain poke-*****************************************************

the rest is censored so I don't infringe anything, hopefully.

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
I look at them as two complimentary parts. Can you eat peanut butter alone? Sure. But chances are if you paired it with jelly, you would enjoy it even more.

Do you need to play one to understand the other? No, but you never have to do that with these games anyway. I mean is the true appeal of Pokemon the main story? I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Pokemon's appeal lies in a lot of it's replay value. Most times we slug through the main story to get to other points in the game. Is the main story enjoyable? Absolutely.

If you played BW2 but not B/W would you be missing out what was going on? Nah. Same thing goes for playing B/W but not playing the sequels.
BW2 is a sequel, so it just gives you further insight on to what has been going in the world and how it has changed.
But I do think if you played BW and then moved on to the sequels you would have a greater appreciation for the story and how the characters have developed since you saw them last.

BW1 and BW2 are two separate, yet equally important parts of the Unova region's saga. Part 1 tells of the uprising and eventual defeat of Team Plasma, while part 2 details Team Plasma's rocky road to redemption. Each part can be enjoyed separately while ignorant of the other part, but playing both parts of the adventure dispels ignorance and provides enlightenment, thus deepening enjoyment.

I always prefer to play all sequels in a series. I don't like missing things such as important information, shocking revelations, and most importantly, in-depth backstories of fan-favorite characters. I do the same with movies--the fact that I haven't seen The Hobbit yet both frustrates and disappoints me, but hopefully I can see it this Tuesday if it's still in theatres by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.