• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

B/W vs B/W 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle_Terra

Haven't read through the thread, so apologies if what I'm about to say has been stated already.

BW2 is easily better, imo. The only thing I can say BW honestly did better was the story, because BW2's story was nowhere near as good. Everything else BW2 pretty much expanded upon, for instance...

Less linearity.
More postgame
Difficulty Levels, albeit poorly, still the option was there.
More Pokemon.
More version differences outside of Pokemon (the different colored HP bars and different colored Area Entrance Eyecatches depending on verison was neat as was Reversal Mountain)
Dream World, I guess.
Medal System.
Music, both were good, but BW2 was better.

NPT

Just a member
I think BW2 Is better because It has more features like Pokemon world tournament. It also has Pokemon from earlier genarations.

Teapot

Sweaty Toad
Even though BW2 were more "improved" and had more features, Im going with BW. Its just personal taste really, but for some reason Ive always preffered BW :3

serenesam

Now I know this is a very controversial topic, but I just wanted to know what you thought was better, and if you think I should get BW or BW2, seeing as I don't have a Generation 5 game yet.

It would have been nice if they put BW 2 on the 3DS instead of the regular DS or at least released it on both formats. I think Platinum was better than both BW or BW2.

lavulin

The story is better in BW yet if you want improved post-game things and to finish the national pokedex, you should try BW 2 because it has more pokemons from other generations. I really love BW, it has a special place in my heart because it was like a new adventure. But I also love BW 2 for the new options like Join Avenue, Pokestar studios, White forest tree, Medal system and Hidden Grottos. Also I like the girl character better than Hilda.
I think you should play BW first and than BW 2. It's such a great story when you put the pices together and the memory link it's awesome. :D

SpoinkyPearl

I have not yet beat Elite 4 in my B2 but at this point Black has been the better game experience for me. I loved how you could use only new Pokémon in the game and got old ones only after Elite 4. The story was also better and Black has been the game I played trough most quickly. And that was because of the story, it was interesting and I really wanted to learn more about N and brains behind Team Plasma. I also loved Bianca and Cheren because they were more friends than rivals but they also challenged you sometimes. In B2 there's many nice new things and much more everything to do but I just liked playing Black more. Both are good games anyway.

Get one of the origials that way you understand who N is and stuff, but the sequals are the best

aT0Msk

Dedicated Trainer
I prefer B2/W2 a lot more than the original Unova games. Although B/W had a great story that was a joy to play through when it was released, the sequels offered more content that was more to my taste. I loved the feel of my White 2 play through, it was pretty much just like White version but with a more classic style of play. In my opinion it felt more similar to the normal format of a Pokémon game. The plot never got in your way in the sequels, you were not fulfilling a prophecy to become a hero. You were some kid from Aspertia City who dreamed on becoming a champion. Aside from the story I loved that each Gym had its own remix of the classic music, that I could catch Elekid very early in the game and raise my favourite Electric type, that I had a rival who informed me he was about to unleash his rage! awww man so much great content that had me smiling the whole way through. I'd go into detail about how much I love the PWT, Join Avenue & new music. But I feel like I am rambling already haha. To cut it short, White 2 redeemed Gen 5 for me.

epicmonster037

Yeah, a lot of people have said to do the original BW first, but I myself much prefer B2W2 for reasons such as lots of Pokémon to choose from in-game, Hugh with his solid development, Pokéstar Studios and the PWT, Join Avenue, the list goes on and on. I don't know why, I just kinda found the original BW rather bland in comparison, I couldn't be arsed to finish the National Pokédex on it. Sometimes the difficulty in the main game actually felt kinda stupid, and the tutorials were annoying (I actually found them to go rather smooth in B2W2). I have around 170 hours logged on my White version (that I got shortly after release) and over 200 logged on my main White 2 version.

However...should you get B2W2, don't expect any lolwtf opponents in the main storyline (by "lolwtf" I mean stuff like DPPt Garchomp, BW Hydreigon, Gen I Alakazam, etc). The hardest thing in the game is arguably either Elesa's Zebstrika or Clay's Excadrill. MAYBE Iris' Haxorus (and only because it has Dragon Dance and a Focus Sash), or Cheren's Lillipup with Work Up. They can be rather easy, but they're still fun, especially if you do a Nuzlocke on them.

Last edited:

SteelySam

breeding natures 100% with everstone and the pokemon breeders you can challenge as many times as you want were the deciding factors for me

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
I certainly think B/W2 is better than B/W. It has more features and Pokemon, so that wins it for me. I also greatly dislike the lack of Pokemon from previous generations in B/W.
Having said this, one must have B/W to understand the story and what not.

Chassidy

When it comes to story and characters, both games are equal, but when it comes to features B/W2 has way more like small improvements on the system(keeping the bag more organized and more useful things to do on the Xtransceiver), more things to do post game, having a Hard Mode for more advanced players, and then there's infamous World Tournament that I can't wait to do(I'm still training for the Elite Four right now in my White 2).

ToeyJoey

The Count
The Day Care was moved to post game in BW2 and that was bad, as was the slight tweak in area Pokemon making EV training slightly more difficult, but it still had a plethora of features to separate it for the first set...

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
I prefer B2/W2's new features and the Unova Pokedex since it's more diverse than before. But B/W was by far the best story we've got so far.

TheSimplePickle

Skyla Lover
The story was epic in both, but the bonus features in BW2 gave it the win here.

Navarch

I did not enjoy Black 2 very much. White was so great with the Story, BW2 ruined it IMO. It was all so different, I enjoyed the originals much more.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
B2W2 for me. The story is alright in both (although I preferred BW's rival sidestories to B2W2's by far, and you actually battled them often!), but B2W2 just offered far more to do, especially beyond the E4. Join avenue was a particularly nice addition as well.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I find them both awesome since they're both connected. Ye wouldn't have seen flashbacks in BW2 if it weren't for BW.

Though shiny haunting in BW2 is better coz of the Shiny Charm :3 nya~

Status
Not open for further replies.