• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

B/W vs B/W 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeb

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
BW2 is superior to BW1 in almost every way; new features, new regional Pokédex, new extras, etc. You'll almost never get bored. However, BW1 is crucial for a player to get an idea of the story, otherwise it'd be confusing.

So yeah, get BW1 first then proceed to BW2.

thelostpokemon

I have to say that BW2 is better than BW1, both are required for a grasp on the story, but, with the additional content at end game, it's much more compelling to play in BW2.
I'd suggest as above has said, get BW1, play through that, and then play BW2, they're both good.

TheOriginalOne

オリジナル
BW2 are better than BW, but without playing BW, you will most likely be confused about quite a few of the events, and the dialogue.
This basically.

I enjoyed BW2 a lot more than BW. BW just felt so... plain for some reason. Didn't enjoy it so much :S
Yeah, the same applies to me. B2W2 is more complete, but I strongly suggest you start off with BW, for you to enjoy the story better.

Mister_SGG

I'm not going to answer which one you should get for two reasons: this thread started in December and I'm certain you haven't taken the last 7 months to decide. Also, because the answer seems to be pretty unanimous, aside from a few exceptions.

As to which I prefer, I like the originals for the better storyline, but the sequels for pretty much everything else. I didn't really enjoy BW2 as much as their respective predecessors, because I was at an awkward time with Pokemon at that point (deciding whether I was going to give up the franchise). I also stopped feeling hyped up for BW2 by the Japanese release, and I didn't even pick up White 2 until a month after the NA release. I do remember being ludicrously excited for Black and White, though, and overall I found it to be a more enjoyable experience.

johno1995

I honestly preferred BW, BW2 felt a bit lazy to me. The story was really half-assed and didn't feel a necessary addition to what was presented in their predecessors.

It was a neat experiment, but for all intents and purposes, it was probably my least favorite pair of the series. I loved the "fresh start" in BW, the new world, the way the characters were all presented, it was all very well-thought-out whereas BW2 didn't give me the same feeling. I liked the new side features, but other than that, it fell apart in other regards.

Half of the massive regional dex wasn't even accessible until post-story. That was pretty cheap imo, why bother having such a huge national 'Dex? I don't know, I feel in the minority here.

Pilpulp

美的
I'll list the pros and cons of each game. Please note this is all my opinion, there are also more pros and cons than I listed, these are the only ones I could quickly think of.

Black and White 1
- Fast paced, not too slow at the beginning.
- Great story-line, although if you've already seen spoilers, you're just in it for the features.
- Great music
- I would assume most WiFi events are only for BW2 now
- Lacking some new features that BW2 has

Black and White 2
- It is possible the story-line could be confusing without playing BW1
- New features such as, PokeStar Studios, Join Avenue, Easy Mode and Challenge Mode etc.
- The starting of the game is very tedious.
- The story-line is great,
- The new cities, and towns are well designed.

Both are great games, and have equal pros and cons. If possible though, I would choose BW2, although it sort of is DLC for BW1. To compare certain things I'd check the main website.

Last edited:

telivisionhead

BW2 are better than BW, but without playing BW, you will most likely be confused about quite a few of the events, and the dialogue.

Yes. BW2 has much more pokemon,better gyms,gives a bit more challenge and a bit better storyline. My friend actually bought B2 and W2 and he probably didn't understand a thing they were saying and not knowing who in the world cheren is or bianca. If you play BW2 you need to play BW 1 to understand the game and what not but I still like Black 2 White 2 better.

Blaquaza

Elite Spritist
The sequels are miles better. I've l,aged them both, and I had much more motivation to finish White 2 rather than White. Maybe it's because the new music was better, the graphics somehow seemed better, or how I could actually catch a decent amount the first 493 without having to import them from Pearl.

The Flash

I like shorts!
I have White and got about 5-6 badges (I can't remember how many) and then suddenly stopped playing for whatever reason. My question is, is it worth it to get like Black or White 2? Or do you think I'd be fine skipping it?

I recently decided to get a 3DS for X and Y and a couple other 3DS exclusive games and thought I'd finish my White and maybe their sequels, but dont' wanna waste the money on it.

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
BW2 it is for me!

- More fun
- Better story
- Hotter Elesa
- Join Avenue
- White Tree Hollow
- Way better victory Road
- A plane!

Aquarelle

Staff member
I definitely prefer Black 2/White 2 over the first BW games. There are just so many things to do on BW2 - new locations to visit, making movies, developing Join Avenue, competing at the World Tournament, earning medals etc.
I have over 300 hours of play time on my White 2 and I still have a long way to go before being done with that game.

Navarch

I feel like BW2 ruined the Original Unova. It was based off around the area of New York, so it had that whole, "America", theme going for it. However, with the edition of BW2, everything felt more Japanese based. Roxie didn't display what any of our Rockers look like. How the heck did Elesa's Hair turn into that kind of pattern? The protagonists were awkward looking IMO. The PWT seems unrealistic. All the Gym Leaders and Champions stop what their doing and go to PWT. They should at least had a Time Mechanic like they did in HGSS. Unova was supposed to be full of Unova Pokemon, not all the others. They could have added a few old ones, but not almost half of them. Overall, I just hated BW2 for its bad story line and awkwardness. BW1 was better, even though the Post Game was a bit empty.

Zero Nexus

Stand up, go for it
with the edition of BW2, everything felt more Japanese based.

That's a bad thing?

How the heck did Elesa's Hair turn into that kind of pattern?

That minor detail didn't affect the game or the story in ANY sense of the word. If anything, you should be grateful they made her look more interesting.

The PWT seems unrealistic. All the Gym Leaders and Champions stop what their doing and go to PWT.

Oh yes, got forbid they ever leave their Gyms/Pokemon Leagues and go somewhere different. Forget having a change of scenery and going outside and getting on with their daily lives, they should just stay in their rooms for ALL ETERNITY.

Unova was supposed to be full of Unova Pokemon, not all the others.

Going by that same logic, Johto should only be full of Johto Pokemon, and Hoenn should only be full of Hoenn Pokemon, and so on. Why you would choose to only apply that argument to Unova is beyond me. We already know Kalos isn't going to be just Kalos Pokemon. You gonna think the same there as well?

k6666

Pikachu Fan
BW beacuse the story is so damn good it is the best pokemon main game series ( its more good if you dont read spoiler )
BW 2 is good to because its have much more feature but cause i'm prefer playing pokemon because of story i choose BW 1 but both of them equally good

Navarch

That's a bad thing?

That minor detail didn't affect the game or the story in ANY sense of the word. If anything, you should be grateful they made her look more interesting.

Oh yes, got forbid they ever leave their Gyms/Pokemon Leagues and go somewhere different. Forget having a change of scenery and going outside and getting on with their daily lives, they should just stay in their rooms for ALL ETERNITY.

Going by that same logic, Johto should only be full of Johto Pokemon, and Hoenn should only be full of Hoenn Pokemon, and so on. Why you would choose to only apply that argument to Unova is beyond me. We already know Kalos isn't going to be just Kalos Pokemon. You gonna think the same there as well?

First off, we have FOUR other regions based off Japan. Unova was supposed to be more Americanized. Second, thats your opinion about her hair looking interesting. I think it looks horrible. In my opinion. But seems that you don't really respect my opinion. Third, Gym Leaders can't just leave their town/city because they have to look after it. Your telling me that ALL the Gym Leaders of a region can just leave? All 8 of them? It just doesn't make sense to me that for example Sinnoh had no people to look after the Gyms. Same thing applies for the Champions, too. Fourth, I said some. Not all. I personally don't like having that many Pokemon becausw it seems unrealistic. What is the point of having regions if you just throw in some old ones just for fillers? I like when my games reflect the world better. I'm just saying BW1 was ten times more realistic than BW2.

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
BW had a better story, and dared to stray from the status quo, but had little to do after the credits rolled. Plus annoying rivals. Cheren, we know you want to be the best, like no one ever was, and frankly, I got sick of Bianca's daddy issues.

Frankly, I liked Hugh because he had actual motivation.

Saberu

Johto and Kanto are next to each other, and Hoenn is close to Johto, as we learned from Orre's Pokémon. Unova, however, is farther from all of the other regions than any previous region is from another. Also, an advertising point of Black and White was that it would be all-new Pokémon - it would be like playing Kanto for the first time, or like anyone playing their first Pokémon game.

I liked Black/White better for the story and, now that I've played their sequels, the appearances of the protagonists. However, B2W2 easily surpassed them, in my opinion, with small, new features. The bag's Free Space, the ability to move around items within the party, the new PC, and better breeding mechanics all cause me to say that I prefer B2W2. I do, however, feel that there are too many legends - capturing them doesn't feel special anymore, especially now that I soft reset for natures. It was an adventure; now, it's a hassle.

Also, the unbelievable number of PP Maxes and Rare Candies I had accumulated by the end of the B2 made me quite happy, as well as the Dream World Poliwhirl I caught after a few Grotto resets. However, the addition of flashing lights in Elesa's gym were not appreciated. I battled through there with my eyes closed.

Gentei

So wait Black/white 2 is actually a sequel?
I tought black/white 2 was exactely the same game like Black/White 1 but only improved game mechanics.

didn't know it was a full new game, i just bought it today but just to trade pokemon with my black and white 2 lol...
can't wait to start then with White 2

Status
Not open for further replies.