• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Back from the dead like a mother-effin' zombie (Returning for Gen 6)

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Back, I guess? Most people probably don't remember me, but I was around quite a bit during Gen 4. Dropped out for pretty much all of Gen 5 to focus on college, competitive battling, and writing. Now I'm back (sort of).

Anyway, team. This is what I'm planning for, since I haven't been able to get the game yet (shut up, college is expensive =P). Not bothering with EVs for once because this is just a playthrough team.

Don't hold back. I'm probably rusty and it's 1 AM, so I'm probably forgetting stuff.

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Stance Change
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head / Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

My favorite Pokémon of the generation. Shadow Ball hits like a pocket nuke, while Shadow Sneak is excellent for picking off things that are weakened. Sacred Sword is good against most things that resist Shadow Ball, but I might just go with Iron Head because it's got STAB and it's useful against more Pokémon. King's Shield lets me deal with offensive Pokémon and change back to Shield for if I need some bulk to take hits. Quiet for maximum power on Shadow Ball without weakening Attack or Aegislash's defenses. Spooky Plate because it makes Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak amazingly powerful.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Flame Body (since I know I'm not likely to find a Gale Wings Fletchling in-game with any ease)
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Bulk Up Talonflame is a lot of fun. Brave Bird and Flare Blitz might seem counter-intuitive on a bulkier set, but they are the strongest Physical STABs Talonflame has access to. Leftovers helps soften the recoil, and Roost helps keep Talonflame going. Bulk Up is obvious.

Greninja @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Nature: Timid
Ability: Torrent
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump / Grass Knot

Pretty standard offensive Ninjafrog. STABs, Ice Beam for coverage. Hydro Pump is for more power, Grass Knot is for opposing Water-types.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Nature: Timid
Ability: Overgrow
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder

Standard Venusaur. Giga Drain > Energy Ball because healing > power. Sludge Bomb is a secondary STAB that gets decent enough coverage with Giga Drain. Leech Seed for more healing, and Sleep Powder because Sleep is the best status effect in the game and Venusaur is a fantastic abuser of it. Timid because Base 80 ain't slow, and Venusaur benefits from sleeping its foes quickly and getting on Leech Seed earlier.

Choosing not to use Venusaurite because Mega Venusaur has a butt flower and that's just not cool.

Snorlax @ Leftovers / Silk Scarf / Whatever
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Thick Fat
- Return
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Wild Charge.

Pretty standard bulky offensive Snorlax. Return is STAB, Crunch gets good coverage against Ghost-types, ditto EQ for Steel- and Rock-types. Might slot either Rock Slide or Wild Charge as the last move, idk which. Since Snorlax's only recovery move is Rest and I don't particularly feel like using a RestTalk or CroLax on my team, there are few good options for the last slot that don't require breeding. Replacing Kangaskhan with this because Kangaskhanite is unobtainable during the initial story.

And the last slot on my team will be an HM slave. Idk what yet, but something Rock-type is my guess.

Anyway, that's it. Fire away guys, I'm looking forward to this.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

I feel compelled to ask. The Mega Stone for Kangaskhan is only available in post-E4; are you having someone trade you one? Because if that's the case it shouldn't be too hard to have someone get you Protean Greninja or Gale Wings Talonflame. In fact, the only Mega Evolutions available pre-E4 are the Kanto starers, Lucario, Gengar, Aerodactyl, Ampharos, Blaziken, and Abomasnow. But I digress.

I'd go with Sacred Sword over Iron Head on Aegislash, personally. Mostly because I am a colossal sucker for the perfect neutral coverage that Ghost/Fighting affords you. If you find yourself really needing Iron Head, however, then I would suggest it over Shadow Sneak. Don't get me wrong, I love Shadow Sneak (tbh my Aegislash feels naked without it), but for an in-game mixed set, I find the priority is slightly less valuable due to the overall quality (or lack thereof) of the ingame opponents, and it expands your coverage slightly to opt out of Shadow Sneak. Of course, this is just one of those decisions you have to make for yourself, to decide if priority is more important than a secondary STAB. If you did drop Shadow Sneak however, you might consider Life Orb or Expert Belt instead of Spooky Plate.

Personally I prefer Swords Dance on Talonflame for the more immediate power, but I suppose in-game a bulkier set could have merit as well. Chalk that one up to personal preference.

And I'm going to go crash into bed now since it's about 1:30am and that means sleep time for Draco.

coolerdynastic

Sucker Punch has quite a drawback since it only works if the opponent is using an offensive moves and you have Crunch for Dark Type. With the high speed of Kang is likely to outspeed a lot of pokes except the fast and furious such as Gengar, Alakazam etc (but you should be able to tank their hit even if they launched a Focus Blast at you)
252+ SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 294-348 (83.7 - 99.1%)

Go for Rock Slide for more coverage as Parental Bond + Rockslide = Togekiss serene grace using Air Slash flinch haxing lol
You can replace Crunch with it if priority moves are more important to you

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
I feel compelled to ask. The Mega Stone for Kangaskhan is only available in post-E4; are you having someone trade you one? Because if that's the case it shouldn't be too hard to have someone get you Protean Greninja or Gale Wings Talonflame. In fact, the only Mega Evolutions available pre-E4 are the Kanto starers, Lucario, Gengar, Aerodactyl, Ampharos, Blaziken, and Abomasnow. But I digress.

Gah. I did not know this. This is what I meant by overlooking stuff. Thanks Draco. I guess I'll just go with Snorlax, then.

I'd go with Sacred Sword over Iron Head on Aegislash, personally. Mostly because I am a colossal sucker for the perfect neutral coverage that Ghost/Fighting affords you. If you find yourself really needing Iron Head, however, then I would suggest it over Shadow Sneak. Don't get me wrong, I love Shadow Sneak (tbh my Aegislash feels naked without it), but for an in-game mixed set, I find the priority is slightly less valuable due to the overall quality (or lack thereof) of the ingame opponents, and it expands your coverage slightly to opt out of Shadow Sneak. Of course, this is just one of those decisions you have to make for yourself, to decide if priority is more important than a secondary STAB. If you did drop Shadow Sneak however, you might consider Life Orb or Expert Belt instead of Spooky Plate.

Meh, to be honest, if I was going to replace something else with Iron Head, it'd be King's Shield. Yeah, its got good support value, but it's useless against status effects and I have other team members to rely on if I need to tank something. That's the beauty of in-game; you don't have to account for every possibility like Competitive. And nix on Life Orb or E-Belt; Aegislash doesn't have the SE coverage to abuse the latter, while the former is better saved for a wholly offensive set that relies on switching to change forms.

Personally I prefer Swords Dance on Talonflame for the more immediate power, but I suppose in-game a bulkier set could have merit as well. Chalk that one up to personal preference.

Honestly, I do too normally. But since this is in-game and Bulk Up is still viable, I'd rather run the bulkier set. Swords Dance Talonflame is really good, but it's also pretty fragile if you're not doing EV investment.

And I'm going to go crash into bed now since it's about 1:30am and that means sleep time for Draco.

I know the feels, man.

Sucker Punch has quite a drawback since it only works if the opponent is using an offensive moves and you have Crunch for Dark Type. With the high speed of Kang is likely to outspeed a lot of pokes except the fast and furious such as Gengar, Alakazam etc (but you should be able to tank their hit even if they launched a Focus Blast at you)
252+ SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 294-348 (83.7 - 99.1%)

Go for Rock Slide for more coverage as Parental Bond + Rockslide = Togekiss serene grace using Air Slash flinch haxing lol
You can replace Crunch with it if priority moves are more important to you

First of all, thank you for pointing out that Sucker Punch is neither necessary nor reliable in-game; I've been playing Competitive for too long. However, when the hell am I going to encounter a Modest Max SpA Alakazam outside of the Battle Maison? Nobody in the main part of the game EV trains. At all. Also, Rockslide + Parental Bond is more like a 40% chance than 60% if my math is right, so no.

All that aside, I have to go with Snorlax since Kangaskhanite isn't available in the main story, so it's a moot point anyway.

coolerdynastic

Well means my maths sucks lolz
You may see the same Alakazam in Competitive Battling,who knows it just depends on their playstyle

NICK HOLY BALLS YOU'RE BACK DO YOU REMEMBER ME

Yeah, King's Shield isn't AS necessary ingame since it's mostly about hitting like a nuke. Sacred Sword over King's Shield sounds pretty reasonable.

I don't really see the point of U-Turn in game when switching hardly hurts at all. Grass Knot fits in that spot pretty nicely. [probably another symptom of competitive ehehehehehe]

No Venusaurite on Venusaur?

All in all, awesome to see you again.

coolerdynastic

Yeah, King's Shield isn't AS necessary ingame since it's mostly about hitting like a nuke. Sacred Sword over King's Shield sounds pretty reasonable.

I don't really see the point of U-Turn in game when switching hardly hurts at all. Grass Knot fits in that spot pretty nicely. [probably another symptom of competitive ehehehehehe]

Well if you are good in predicting then King Shield will make you a scarier tanker as it can hardly lower the opponent's attack and thus you can set up one or two more swords dance.

I have done some calculations then even in a super effective situation Shield Form Aegislash can still be 2HKOed

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Well means my maths sucks lolz
You may see the same Alakazam in Competitive Battling,who knows it just depends on their playstyle

gA5Udmb.jpg

Joking aside, this is a team solely intended for in-game use. If I was going to make a competitive team, I'd be posting it in the Competitive RMT section, or you'd see the words "Semi-Competitive Rate My Team," or the acronym "SCRMT" in the title.

'Course I do, Chris. Long time no see.

Eh, I'll probably just keep King's Shield. Normal-types are pretty much the only things weak to Fighting not covered by the rest of my team, but they can't do much to Aegislash anyway or are weak to something else in addition to Fighting.

Derp. Well, more proof that I've been in competitive for too long. And eh, Grass Knot is iffy because it's weight based. If I need Grass-type coverage, I'll switch to Venusaur. I was thinking more Extrasensory or Hydro Pump?

Me said:
Choosing not to use Venusaurite because Mega Venusaur has a butt flower and that's just not cool.

Thanks man. It's good to be back.

Well if you are good in predicting then King Shield will make you a scarier tanker as it can hardly lower the opponent's attack and thus you can set up one or two more swords dance.

I have done some calculations then even in a super effective situation Shield Form Aegislash can still be 2HKOed

I'm not intending to use Swords Dance. Overall, it's probably the worst Aegislash set and I dislike it regardless.

As for this... no duh. Every single Pokémon in the game can be 2HKO'd by super-effective moves. Why is that relevant?

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Oh damn I missed this! :'(

Venusaurite cos Thick Fat and butt flower which are both cool.

Why not SD on Talon? Bulk Up is kinda pointless when it has access to SD and it's bulk is somewhat nonexistent. Also, you know, it'll take twice the amount of time to set up!

<3

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Oh damn I missed this! :'(

No worries, man. You at least welcomed me back on VMs.

Venusaurite cos Thick Fat and butt flower which are both cool.

93746d1362045672-meme-no-memes-untitle.jpg

Why not SD on Talon? Bulk Up is kinda pointless when it has access to SD and it's bulk is somewhat nonexistent. Also, you know, it'll take twice the amount of time to set up!

Fact is, SD Talon without any investment dies to absolutely f*cking everything. Bulk Up is actually okay, and it's actually not bad at all if you're not running EVs the way Swords Dance is.

<3 you too man /nohomo

DGatrz Master

Trainer of Legends.
Well, I know my advice is probably not gonna.be considered or turned down because I'm such a noob, but Iron Head might be more useful on Aegislash because little spoiler the champions signature is a fairy type, not to mention there's a fairy type gym. Also my friend used Autotomize on Aegislash to help boost it's sweeping ability. Personally Extrasensory is a move I used on my Greninja, and some members of Team Flare have poison types so it could be better to benefit you in-game. Maybe if you wanna use Mega-Evolution you could use Ampharos, it's pretty cool, or you could use a fairy type like Sylveon. I'm not sure about rock types, but for a slave you can get Furret and Linoone in this game...

Aurath8

On account of me being late to the party, most things have already been said, but still:

How about Acrobatics for Greninja's last slot? It handles Bug, Fighting and Grass but then you'd have to give up an item in the process. Considering Greninja's attack isn't brilliant and you don't have protean, you may only 2KO target pokemon anyway.

Consider Yawn for Snorlax. I love sleep, both the status effect and the periodic state of unconsciousness, as it can save your hide against a powerful pokemon or allow Talonflame or whatever to setup. Also, putting Yawn on SNorlax allows Venusaur to drop Sleep Powder for vital coverage, namely Earthquake so you can actually damage steel types. In my own playthrough, I switched to EQ once my Venusaur got trounced by a Klefki.
Even if you don't plan on using Yawn EQ on Venusaur is still a good option.

Lastly:
Aegislash@Leftovers
Adamant
Stance Change
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword
-Iron Head

I prefer SD+Shadow Sneak on Aegislash, mainly because once its in Blade Forme, it has something like 60/50/50 defences iirc. You need to be OHKOing stuff like its going out of style. Aegislash is also pretty slow, so you'll need to use a priority move and without a SD boost you won't be able guarantee KOs and by extension, Aegislash's survival. Hence we arrive at this set.
Iron Head > Shadow Ball for this as well, as the latter doesn't get the SD boost, while the former still has good enough neutral coverage. It also poos all over any Fairies you encounter.