• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Back in Black (and White) for the 5th Gen

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Hey guys, sup? I've decided to migrate over here from Gen 4 IGRMT, after rating Kerech's S-CRMT and seeing how much I enjoy the 5th Gen. In celebration, I've decided to do a team of just 5th gen Pokemon. So, without further ado, here we go.

503.png

Daikenki @ Leftovers
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Ability: Torrent
-Aqua Tail
-Megahorn
-Hydro Pump
-Swords Dance

As with most playthrough teams, I'll be starting off with my starter. Daikenki is my favorite of the three final evolutions of the starters, so why not? Moveset is pretty simple, Aqua Tail gets STAB and hits hard, Megahorn hits grass types for SE and gets good neutral coverage with Aqua Tail, Hydro Pump is just there because I feel like it, and because it hits harder against things with high Special Defense. Swords Dance is for more power. Leftovers for some passive healing to let me preserve some money that would otherwise be spent on Hyper Potions. Brave nature decreases Daikenki's mediocre speed, but boosts its decent Attack so I can hit harder and use Hydro Pump without losing Special Attack.

596.png

Denchuura @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Compoundeyes
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-HP Water
-Sucker Punch

I love Denchuura, it's so awesome looking. Again, the set is very simple. Life Orb is for more power, which Denchuura needs to function. Compoundeyes Thunder is very dangerous, with STAB factored in, you have a 180 BP attack coming off 91% accuracy. Bug Buzz is a secondary STAB, but it also hits Grass types, Psychic types, and Dark Types for SE. This allows me to use Hidden Power Water to hit Ground types, while also damaging Rock and Fire types, Denchuura's only two weaknesses. This also gives me a weapon against Doryuuzu and Steelix. Sucker Punch is for picking off weakened stuff. Timid nature is needed to outspeed max Speed Base 115's.

628.png

Wargle @ Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Keen Eye
-Brave Bird
-Shadow Claw
-Return
-Superpower

This thing is fun to use and quite dangerous in-game. Brave Bird and Return are dual STABs, Superpower and Shadow Claw give him perfect coverage. Jolly Nature for more speed, standard Sweeper EV spread. Extremely simple.

514.png

Baokkie @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot
-HP Fighting
-Nasty Plot

Outclassed by NP Infernape and NP Lucario, blah blah blah. This is ingame, so I’d prefer to be slightly different. EV spread should be obvious, Timid for more speed, Expert Belt to make use of Baokkie’s fantastic coverage, and the moveset to make him a pseudo-NP Ape.

586-winter.png

Mebukijika @ Choice Band
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Herbivore
-Wood Horn
-Return
-Jump Kick
-Wild Bolt

I usually tend to stay away from Choice items on my in-game runs, but this was just too much fun to resist. Jolly for Speed, since Choice Band provides the power. Standard sweeper EV spread. Wood Horn is Mebukijika's strongest physical Grass STAB, and it has a nice bonus in that it can absorb HP from a target. Return is for a more powerful STAB move should I need it. Jump Kick hits Steel types, while Wild Bolt is for Flying types. Shiny Winter forme just because it looks cool (no pun intended).

635.png

Sazandora @ Wise Glasses
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
-Dragon Pulse
-Dark Pulse
-Fire Blast
-Surf

I love Sazandora, it's awesome despite the annoying name. Simple as simple can be. The same EV spread as the rest of the team whatta surprise. Wise Glasses because I don't feel like sticking LO or Choice items on more than one Pokemon. Timid for the speed this beast needs to dominate. Dual STABs in the Twin Pulses, Fire Blast and Surf round out the set for spectacular coverage.

Credits to Veekun for the images.

Alright, that's a wrap. You guys can take it from here :)

Last edited:

Kerech

Shinigami...CHOP!
Haha I suppose I'll return the favor here. Wargle should have Keen Eye. Why? Encourage doesn't boost Shadow Claw, an Encouraged Crush Claw is weaker than max happiness Return, so Rock Slide is the only thing that's boosted (which could easily be swapped out for Superpower, if you didn't mind). So unless you need Rock Slide, Keen Eye's the way to go.

Denchura wants Energy Ball > HP[Water]; it's stronger against Rock and Ground types, and most Fire types are more worried about STAB Thunder than a SE HP[Water].

That's all I see atm. Oh, and you're Rock weak, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Magnets

Banned
How can you possibly enjoy 5th gen?

This team sucks. You don't need Fire Blast and Surf on that three headed dragon thing, especially when your only reason is coverage. Roost + LO is more practical. Wise Glasses/Muscle Band is just dumb in competitive play.

AllYouNeedIsCyndaquil

Master of Sorts
Your whole team is sweepers!!!

And are you prepared to breed until you get the HP type that you want, with a decent base value? or are you just gonna stick to pokesaving?

If you aren't prepared for the time requirement of HP, then I suggest a

Boakkie @ Expert Belt
Nature: Naive
EV: 56 Attack; 252 Sp. Attack; 200 Speed
Nasty Plot
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Crunch
The EV investment is really rough haha, but crunch will provide valuable coverage in the Elite Four

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Haha I suppose I'll return the favor here. Wargle should have Keen Eye. Why? Encourage doesn't boost Shadow Claw, an Encouraged Crush Claw is weaker than max happiness Return, so Rock Slide is the only thing that's boosted (which could easily be swapped out for Superpower, if you didn't mind).

Meh, not much information out there on the new abilities, I was under the impression that it was a 1.5x boost. In that case, I think I will swap them out.

So unless you need Rock Slide, Keen Eye's the way to go.

Since I'm not spamming Encourage attacks, I suppose I can just use Superpower instead.

Denchura wants Energy Ball > HP[Water]; it's stronger against Rock and Ground types, and most Fire types are more worried about STAB Thunder than a SE HP[Water].

Not exactly a fan of exact Smogon copypasta. Which the set would be, if I did that.

That's all I see atm. Oh, and you're Rock weak, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Of course I'm rock weak. Where else am I going to use all the SR weak Pokemon outside the metagame?

How can you possibly enjoy 5th gen?

Because, unlike you, I actually recognize quality when I see it.

Oh, and thanks for seeing fit to troll another of my threads.

This team sucks.

^Case in point. The team is hastily made, and is an ingame team with some favored Pokemon. It doesn't suck, the movesets are more than competent, the layout is fairly professional, and the synergy is not lolhorrible.

You don't need Fire Blast and Surf on that three headed dragon thing, especially when your only reason is coverage. Roost + LO is more practical.

Does your idiocy know no bounds? Fire Blast is required to hit any Steel types, and Surf is just a general coverage move that works very well with Sazandora's typing and STABs. Also, Sazandora doesn't get Roost, and it's not even a TM in this generation anyway.

Wise Glasses/Muscle Band is just dumb in competitive play.

This is not a competitive team.

Btw, congratulations on not getting banned yet. You've trolled so many threads I'm surprised that somebody hasn't just hit you with the banhammer yet.

Your whole team is sweepers!!!

Ya think? It's ingame for a reason. And technically, Mebukijika is a revenge killer.

And are you prepared to breed until you get the HP type that you want, with a decent base value? or are you just gonna stick to pokesaving?

I'm one of Serebii's better Gen 4 competitive players, as well as a fanatical breeder. What do you think?

If you aren't prepared for the time requirement of HP, then I suggest a

Boakkie @ Expert Belt
Nature: Naive
EV: 56 Attack; 252 Sp. Attack; 200 Speed
Nasty Plot
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
Crunch
The EV investment is really rough haha, but crunch will provide valuable coverage in the Elite Four

Meh, mixing Baokkie really just weakens him, he's too frail to be pulling a mixed set and he doesn't have great dual STABs like Infernape to give him a boost in that regard. I'm prepared for the breeding anyway, so it's not really a big deal.

Thank you for giving a competent attempt at rating the team. Unlike some people... *glares at Maggots*

Kerech

Shinigami...CHOP!
Nope, the boost is 1.3x. >.> 1.5 would've been utterly ridiculous, seeing as how a Pokemon with Encourage can use a Life Orb, get its boost, and avoid the 10% recoil IF an Encourage-boosted move is used (meaning Earth Power will get an Encourage + LO boost with no drawback, while Earthquake will only get LO's boost and you still lose 10% of your health).

To be fair, I wasn't thinking along the lines of a Smogon set at all; I've studied Denchura myself, and came to the conclusion that Energy Ball works best. You of all people know that standard is standard for a reason, and you yourself are a member of Smogon (lol), so you know that sometimes Smogon's right.

That being said, the 10 less bp won't make or break any matches any time soon, but not using the superior move just because other people like us thought of a similar set on a similar site and posted it there (run-on sentence, gah) isn't the best of reasons to forgo using Energy Ball.

Lol you know I had to point out the Rock weakness regardless; it's one of the things I was taught to look for while rating. You'll be angry though if you start running into a shitload of Pokemon with SR though haha ;).

Magnets

Banned
Not exactly a fan of exact Smogon copypasta. Which the set would be, if I did that.

As much as we all hate Smogon, we should move our prejudices aside when trying to find the practical solution. In this case, a Smogon set is the practical solution, and should be utilised. I do not think that the fact a set is from Smogon is sufficient grounds not to at least consider it.

Because, unlike you, I actually recognize quality when I see it.

That does not convince me that 5th gen is anything other than an imbalanced, ability centred excuse for GF and Nintendo to squeeze every penny out of the Pokemon franchise as they can.

^Case in point. The team is hastily made, and is an ingame team with some favored Pokemon. It doesn't suck, the movesets are more than competent, the layout is fairly professional, and the synergy is not lolhorrible.

I forgot how arrogant you were. Sorry for hurting your ego, but I simply state the facts as I see them.

Does your idiocy know no bounds?

You cannot call me an 'idiot' for pointing out something which you do not understand. Your first three moves get all the coverage you need.

Surf is just a general coverage move that works very well with Sazandora's typing and STABs.

This is not a good reason. How specifically does Surf help? If you want to be as brilliant as competitive pokemon as me, then you need to stop generalising.

Also, Sazandora doesn't get Roost, and it's not even a TM in this generation anyway.

Well, as if I could be bothered to waste my time checking, anyway.

Btw, congratulations on not getting banned yet. You've trolled so many threads I'm surprised that somebody hasn't just hit you with the banhammer yet.

I'm not a troll, I'm a human. Besides, why would anyone ban me? This forum needs me! Serebii really is a pathetic mess if it bans someone of my intellect.

I'm one of Serebii's better Gen 4 competitive players.

I can safely say that I'm even better.

Soroft

Cat and Mouse
Magnets said:
As much as we all hate Smogon, we should move our prejudices aside when trying to find the practical solution. In this case, a Smogon set is the practical solution, and should be utilised. I do not think that the fact a set is from Smogon is sufficient grounds not to at least consider it.

You do realize Eon's on the forums there, and that most people around here just feel like using something a little different every once in awhile?

That does not convince me that 5th gen is anything other than an imbalanced, ability centred excuse for GF and Nintendo to squeeze every penny out of the Pokemon franchise as they can.

Then gtfo nub.

I forgot how arrogant you were. Sorry for hurting your ego, but I simply state the facts as I see them.

I'll come back to this one farther down.

You cannot call me an 'idiot' for pointing out something which you do not understand. Your first three moves get all the coverage you need.

It gets max SE coverage coupled with Surf, as those two give the ability to trounce Fire, Grass, Ground, Rock, Steel, Bug, and Ice. Which brings me to say that Expert Belt could work on this set.

This is not a good reason. How specifically does Surf help? If you want to be as brilliant as competitive pokemon as me, then you need to stop generalising.

And this is one of two points I planned on revisiting. Eon's ego is in all fun and well earned, whereas yours is pretty annoying and undeserved. Needless to say, it seems yours is much bigger.

Well, as if I could be bothered to waste my time checking, anyway.

Then gtfo nub.

I'm not a troll, I'm a human. Besides, why would anyone ban me? This forum needs me! Serebii really is a pathetic mess if it bans someone of my intellect.

Barely. Oh, how did it ever manage to get along without you for a good 5-6 years! Your intellect is overexaggerated, and you give it too much credit. You may be slightly smarter than the average bear, but that doesn't mean you're the top.

I can safely say that I'm even better.

Second point.

As I am one of the best raters in IGRMT, do not hesistate to ask for me for any tips or advice you might need.

Third point.

And I'm done. The team has decent synergy, and it's designed well.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Alright, Soroft basically said everything I wanted to, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse. I will, however, be leaving you with one extra piece of advice.

Don27t.jpg

That is all.

@Kerech: Yeah, that would be a bit ridiculous, tbh. That's part of the reason I thought everyone was hailing Encourage as broken, but it's really not too bad.