• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Back in black

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry

Intro

In a world filled with rain, a few hero's wish for the rays of sun to break through.

So I left the Ou metagame after being fairly inactive in it for about 3 weeks. When I came back I seem to have lost my team building touch. But I decided to try out a Pokemon I somehow haven't used yet; Terrakion.

Since I was using a Pokemon I haven't used yet, I decided to pair him up with a Pokemon I use a lot, choice specs latios.

Now I know rain has been really dominant lately, and my offensive core is scizor weak, so I decided to add Ninetales, making this my first sun team.

So I was on a sun high for a few minutes and tried to find a good chlorophyl sweeper. But I hate them all equally and decided to go against that idea. Now I was water weak, and even though I dislike Gastrodon, I decided it would really help me (for once).

Next I needed hazards and Forretress seemed to pair very well with Gastrodon.

Soooooo.... Yeah, I needed a final poke and decided to try out Porygon2, another Pokemon I've been dying to use in OU.

After some suggestions I decided to remove Ninetales and add Heatran. However this made me physically weak so I removed Porygon 2 in favor of Sigilyph.

The Team

;381; ;038; ;423; ;205; ;233; ;639;

terrakion_the_mighty_musketeer_by_xous54-d4jlbg1.png

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

So I was really, really, really indecisive over what I wanted from this guy. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with speed or power, so I ended up choosing both. The offensive moves are stab, life orb gives me kills and jolly makes me speedy. This is his only ability, but it prevents people from spamming dark type moves.

latios_wallpaper_duo_by_blooddragonx.png

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I use this Pokemon so much, it's really not funny. Specs makes him hit incredibly hard, nature and ev's maximize speed and makes him still hit hard. Draco meteor is a beastly stab that can be spammed when all steel types are missing. Psyshock is for fighting types and blissey. Lastly surf and hp fire are great for coverage alongside it's stabs.

heatran_v_2_by_xous54-d32chzi.png

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sunny Day

Heatran, even without investment, is still a monster to take down. The greatest part may be that my opponents can't spam fire type moves trying to take out Forretress. However let's talk about this set. Most people expect a less offensive variant of Heatran when they look at my team. So they will switch in a set up sweeper, such as Dragonite. That's when they get caught in the Magma Storm and now cannot switch out even if they want to. Then I go to the appropriate coverage move (or sunny day when I am in a weather I dislike) and generally get the KO as magma storm does a ton of damage and negates leftovers recovery.

GASTRODON_Beach_by_Jolty22.png

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover

A lot of Gastrodon sets have the, do I want toxic or a coverage move problem? Luckily forretress removes that problem via toxic spikes. So I have 3 coverage moves and instant recovery (nothing fancy there). Nature and ev's will maximize my special defense (which most water types will go after). Do I really need to explain leftovers?

205___Forretress_by_Winter_Freak.jpg

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

People either seem to hate forretress or love him. Personally I am a big fan ever since my team; "U-switch? I'll pass". Toxic spikes are a blessing once everything I want burnt is burnt. Stealth rock is for, you know, switching control. Rapid spin is for hazard removal. Volt switch is for scouting and free switches. Nature and ev's maximize my defense.

speedpaint___sigilyph_by_silverbirch-d4jqxn7.jpg

Sigilyph @ flame orb
Magic guard
Bold
252 hp / 252 def/ 4 sp def
Stored power
Roost
Cosmic power
Psycho shift

So before sigilyph I had a huge fighting type weakness and fairly large ground type weakness. However sigilyph filled both those holes and then some. She is an excellent physical wall that this team needed and I currently have no complaints about her. Nature and EV's max out her defense and the combination of a flame orb with psycho shift adds to this even more. Cosmic power not only boosts her already amazing defense stat, but her special defense as well. Roost then heals off all damage as I become a monstrous wall. Lastly stored power takes advantage of all the defensive boosts in a more offensive way.

Battle Videos;

Unfortunately I did not have a latios ready for this battle, so I tried out latias; 32-02809-19089

Making a more defensive heatran

I take no credit for any images shown

Last edited:

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
On Porygon2 use Charge Beam > TBolt, to gain SpA as you stay in. And maybe some Hp EV's?

On Gastro, go for a Sassy nature and use EQ > EP, it's a bit stronger and hits specially defensive pokemon harder.

Nice moveset on Tales. Unfortunately, you don't have a Hex abuser, to take advantage of all the statuses.

You're a bit Fighting weak. P2 and Terra are weak, where Latios resists it.

Without Latios, a stromg Ground sweeper, such as CB Dugtrio, can plow through your team. Nothing outspeeds it, (besides Latios, who in this scenariomwas killed by PursuitTar) and Forretress can't harm the triple moles. This can be fixed by giving Terra the scarf.

besides that, nice team =D

Usatoday

Eternal God
On Porygon2 use Charge Beam > TBolt, to gain SpA as you stay in. And maybe some Hp EV's?

On Gastro, go for a Sassy nature and use EQ > EP, it's a bit stronger and hits specially defensive pokemon harder.

Nice moveset on Tales. Unfortunately, you don't have a Hex abuser, to take advantage of all the statuses.

Without Latios, a stromg Ground sweeper, such as CB Dugtrio, can plow through your team. Nothing outspeeds it, (besides Latios, who in this scenariomwas killed by PursuitTar) and Forretress can't harm the triple moles. This can be fixed by giving Terra the scarf.

Okay I'm going to tear this apart and don't take this personally charge beam is not going to help him here as p2 is meant to be a wall and not a sweeper also if its p2 versus a steel type how does he handle it? While that is true he also misses out in being able to hurt bulky politoed which is always physically defensive. Actually ninetales can learn hex which I wouldn't recommend as it. Is very weak. Actually assuming physically defensive p2 it can live a cc from terrakion with abut 25% porygon2 also scoffs as dugtrio tries to damage it with a pathetic earthquake now onto the rate

Hey dragon nice team here although a few thing I'd say drop forretress for a donphan as it can combat tyranitar as well as combat dragons something you have nothing for bar p2 Im also going to suggest that p2 runs thunder wave over toxic just from expierience as I use it on just abiut every team paralysis is better as it can predict switches soo much better with it and cripple them such as terrakion and infernape. Now I'm also going to suggest p2 is max def max HP. Finally as you have nothing to really abuse it I'd drop tales as it's only just a rain buffer so try maybe a sunny day tran over it but great team mate

Skarm™

Light It Up
terrakion, rock polish < sacred sword. rock polish isn't needed as terrakion has great speed already
ninetales, will-o-wisp/toxic < energyball or solarbeam. you should only have one status move, otherwise you can't use the other one if they keep it in. also, just saying, ninetales is not a stall pokemon, its either a fodder to set up sun or a nasty plot sweeper, as it has not good defensive stats, and its fire type
gastrodon, if you take my word word for ninetales, you should make gastrodon the wall, with toxic protect, etc.

i really don't recommend running toxic 3 times on a team, maybe 2, like toxic spikes and then 1 toxic can do, but you shouldn't have so many toxic users in one team

god luck with the team, hope i helped

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry

Thanks for the compliment... Let me see if there was anything untouched by Usatoday...

Why would I want a sassy nature when I'm running a completely special moveset? To tank gyro balls better? I am more than a little lost as I am uninterested in earthquake at the moment. I generally don't try to wall walls.

Ninetales is really just a filler until I can figure out exactly what my team needs..

Choice Band dugtrio is not ohko'ing my gastrodon, even with stealth rock and a layer of spikes or two, so yeah, I can almost guarantee without a calc that I will Ohko him with scald. Not to mention p2 is a lot more bulky physically.

Okay I'm going to tear this apart and don't take this personally charge beam is not going to help him here as p2 is meant to be a wall and not a sweeper also if its p2 versus a steel type how does he handle it? While that is true he also misses out in being able to hurt bulky politoed which is always physically defensive. Actually ninetales can learn hex which I wouldn't recommend as it. Is very weak. Actually assuming physically defensive p2 it can live a cc from terrakion with abut 25% porygon2 also scoffs as dugtrio tries to damage it with a pathetic earthquake now onto the rate

Hey dragon nice team here although a few thing I'd say drop forretress for a donphan as it can combat tyranitar as well as combat dragons something you have nothing for bar p2 Im also going to suggest that p2 runs thunder wave over toxic just from expierience as I use it on just abiut every team paralysis is better as it can predict switches soo much better with it and cripple them such as terrakion and infernape. Now I'm also going to suggest p2 is max def max HP. Finally as you have nothing to really abuse it I'd drop tales as it's only just a rain buffer so try maybe a sunny day tran over it but great team mate

Thank you to, I'm sure it needs work, this is almost entirely theory mon as of now. (I have had a whopping 2 battles with it). While Donphan is an interesting option, I will have to drop ninetales immediately (something I plan on doing eventually) just to not be overly water weak.

P2; I'll switch to full physical, it was something I was considering anyways. I dislike conflicting status (I do realize I have 2 already) as you will oftentimes give the wrong pokemon the wrong status. I feel like I missed something... O yeah, heatran is a great idea, definitely considering it over ninetales

terrakion, rock polish < sacred sword. rock polish isn't needed as terrakion has great speed already
ninetales, will-o-wisp/toxic < energyball or solarbeam. you should only have one status move, otherwise you can't use the other one if they keep it in. also, just saying, ninetales is not a stall pokemon, its either a fodder to set up sun or a nasty plot sweeper, as it has not good defensive stats, and its fire type
gastrodon, if you take my word word for ninetales, you should make gastrodon the wall, with toxic protect, etc.

i really don't recommend running toxic 3 times on a team, maybe 2, like toxic spikes and then 1 toxic can do, but you shouldn't have so many toxic users in one team

god luck with the team, hope i helped

Rock polish enables me to outrun every common scarfed Pokemon, so that is the point to it. I have considered dropping one of my boostin moves for x-scizor though, to cover psychic types. Ninetales is currently acting as a status platformer/ weather messer upper. That's it's only goal until I decide on my replacement. Currently I am contemplating Heatran as it's replacement.

I might use gastrodon and heatran as my walls. I just hate deciding on coverage moves is all.

Yeah, most of my teams are more offensive than this one, so I wasn't quite sure how to go about it.

Thank you, I think you did some

Skarm™

Light It Up
Thanks for the compliment... Let me see if there was anything untouched by Usatoday...

Why would I want a sassy nature when I'm running a completely special moveset? To tank gyro balls better? I am more than a little lost as I am uninterested in earthquake at the moment. I generally don't try to wall walls.

Ninetales is really just a filler until I can figure out exactly what my team needs..

Choice Band dugtrio is not ohko'ing my gastrodon, even with stealth rock and a layer of spikes or two, so yeah, I can almost guarantee without a calc that I will Ohko him with scald. Not to mention p2 is a lot more bulky physically.

Thank you to, I'm sure it needs work, this is almost entirely theory mon as of now. (I have had a whopping 2 battles with it). While Donphan is an interesting option, I will have to drop ninetales immediately (something I plan on doing eventually) just to not be overly water weak.

P2; I'll switch to full physical, it was something I was considering anyways. I dislike conflicting status (I do realize I have 2 already) as you will oftentimes give the wrong pokemon the wrong status. I feel like I missed something... O yeah, heatran is a great idea, definitely considering it over ninetales

Rock polish enables me to outrun every common scarfed Pokemon, so that is the point to it. I have considered dropping one of my boostin moves for x-scizor though, to cover psychic types. Ninetales is currently acting as a status platformer/ weather messer upper. That's it's only goal until I decide on my replacement. Currently I am contemplating Heatran as it's replacement.

I might use gastrodon and heatran as my walls. I just hate deciding on coverage moves is all.

Yeah, most of my teams are more offensive than this one, so I wasn't quite sure how to go about it.

Thank you, I think you did some

the thing is, terrakion dosen't really need rock polish. i could see how it could work though. there is a double-boosting set i had run a while ago...

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Jolly
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Swords Dance
-Rock Polish

This set actually wrked great for me, except i ended up replacing rock polish for x-scissor because i never used it, lol. so keep it if you want because this is a great set, but i suggest x-scissor instead. as for ninetales, a team made speciffically for messing up weather, and what happens if there's no weather on the opponent's side? then what are you gonna do with ninetales? i know, use drought to your own advantage(use the sun), not to their disadvantage(losing rain/sand/hail). put like energy ball for those pesky politoeds if you are in a weather war, but then put like sub and nasty plot, or idk, chsetorest. and yes, gastrodon makes a great wall, and switchin for water AND electric type attacks. so when somebody decides to kill ninetales(with an air balloon) with a hydro pump, suck it up with gastrodon. when there's an opposing genesect using t-bolt, take it up with gastrodon. no problem, and i hope i do some thing post too. XP

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
the thing is, terrakion dosen't really need rock polish. i could see how it could work though. there is a double-boosting set i had run a while ago...

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Jolly
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Swords Dance
-Rock Polish

This set actually wrked great for me, except i ended up replacing rock polish for x-scissor because i never used it, lol. so keep it if you want because this is a great set, but i suggest x-scissor instead. as for ninetales, a team made speciffically for messing up weather, and what happens if there's no weather on the opponent's side? then what are you gonna do with ninetales? i know, use drought to your own advantage(use the sun), not to their disadvantage(losing rain/sand/hail). put like energy ball for those pesky politoeds if you are in a weather war, but then put like sub and nasty plot, or idk, chsetorest. and yes, gastrodon makes a great wall, and switchin for water AND electric type attacks. so when somebody decides to kill ninetales(with an air balloon) with a hydro pump, suck it up with gastrodon. when there's an opposing genesect using t-bolt, take it up with gastrodon. no problem, and i hope i do some thing post too. XP

You probably ran into a lot of stall teams. Rock polish is more for facing HO teams than a stall team. I have given x scissor a lot of thought, but for now this is the set I want.

Current plans to test;

Ninetales -> Heatran for a more defensive Pokemon

Gastrodon -> Jellicent for a better special tank

Porygon 2 -> Tangrowth for better synergy overall. It will provide an electric/ ground resist, and one less weakness to fighting types

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
Dont get rid of Gastro! Its ground typing makes it so good, completely walling Zone, Toad and other special attackers. It easily survives Draco Meteor from latios, and recover the damage. Its just an awesome special wall.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Due to the overwhelming popularity I am going to keep Gastrodon for now.

So Ninetales -> Heatran

P2 -> ??? Something that will synergies well with the current team. It may end up as tangrowth and it may not

Skarm™

Light It Up
Due to the overwhelming popularity I am going to keep Gastrodon for now.

So Ninetales -> Heatran

P2 -> ??? Something that will synergies well with the current team. It may end up as tangrowth and it may not
for P2 replaement, if you want a great staller, use dusclops @ eviolite or sableye

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
for P2 replaement, if you want a great staller, use dusclops @ eviolite or sableye

I already considered those, but they don't resist ground type moves which my team definitely would not mind. I think I'm going to test sigilyph, cresselia, and a few others that resist ground and fighting moves