• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Back in the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back like...16 years here I think, but I'm just curious about something!

Was there teaser or news about gen 2 coming out? Other than kids WB commercial right before the Johto series, I was completely caught off guard and surprised when I heard there were new pokemon and a new region. Hearing that for the first time was a great surprise for me.

Of course, I didn't subscribe to nintendo power, or any other nerdy magazines back then. Did anyone here? I'm just curious, also, because Donphan was shown using rollout in Pokemon the first movie, and that was...at least 2 years before G/S/C, I think?

Last edited:

Seachran

I was only 5 or 6 back then, so for me watching the anime and seeing new pokemon (Movie 2000 especially) was my main way of knowing there would be new pokemon and new games.

Other than that, I'm going to assume it was in Nintendo Power quite a bit leading up to the release, as all major games were. There were also probably in-store advertisements on posters and TVs in places like Toys R Us.

Honestly Movie 2000 would have been the most influential advertisement of all.

Blazing Charmander

The first time that I heard of Gen II was in the Pokemon Master Guide, which was an off-shoot of the UK's Nintendo Official Magazine released in 2000, covering games such as RBY, Snap and Stadium. It had a segment previewing Gold & Silver, and provided me with my first glimpse of the new day/night system, Pokegear and some of the Pokemon (still branded with their Japanese names - Hapinasu, Guraigar, Pichu, Kaporea, 'Nyu-ra, to name a few). Obviously, G/S had already reached Japan by this time and had been teased for a couple of years, so the novelty would've been long lost on other Pokemon fans by the time I clasped eyes on the new generation. Man, how I miss the days when the internet was less mainstream and game news wasn't instantly available via social media.

I'll always have a soft spot for Gen II because of its initial air of mystery, and I really cannot wait until the games' inevitable release on the Virtual Console. The internal batteries in both my Silver and Crystal batteries have now died, so it will be a precious moment when they are playable to the masses again.

EDIT: Actually, I think Togepi and then Donphan were my first true exposure to the new generation. The latter was shown in another UK magazine before the first movie arrived in cinemas, and shortly after we were shown Snubbull and Marill who were to appear in Pikachu's Vacation.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Going back like...16 years here I think, but I'm just curious about something!

Was there teaser or news about gen 2 coming out? Other than kids WB commercial right before the Johto series, I was completely caught off guard and surprised when I heard there were new pokemon and a new region. Hearing that for the first time was a great surprise for me.

I myself don't recall exactly when Gen 2 promotion began in the US, although I do remember seeing lots of Johto pokemon being spoiled in magazines around 2000. I think the first time I saw Johto pokemon merchandise in the US was when G/S came out in English, so around winter of 2000 is my guess. :]

epicgordan

Okay, so when I was a kid, when Pokémon Gold and Silver first came out, I made it my mission to catch them all in Pokémon Gold. I traded from my recently completed pokedex in Yellow (I had 150 Pokémon, but no knowledge of the Mew glitch yet), and even traded a bit from Silver, and I worked long and hard to see to it that I caught 249 Pokémon and aside from Mew and Celebi, complete the Pokedex. Now, the Pokémon movies were pretty much how I eventually learned what Pokémon I was actually missing in my Pokedex. Because I had no access to any strategy guides and the internet was still in its infancy, I was pretty much on my own when it came to completing the Pokedex. I have no idea how I learned how to specifically evolve my Kingler, Steelix, Scizor, etc., but I assume I asked some of the fellow kids. I had over 230 Pokémon registered as caught--I was still looking for Smoochum (never thought to ***** out Ditto nor considered Jynx as strictly female-only), Raikou, Entei, and a few other stragglers, and just like that.....

The save battery had died. I played the game so much for so long that I lost everything! Man did that bum me out from 2nd generation for a while. Thank goodness for emulation because my GSC cartridges are all pretty much dead at this point, and I have lost not only my link cable but also my other Gameboys. But man what an epic run that was. And I had a ton of fun dealing with my own financial bankruptcy in Yellow in order to grind out my 150 Pokémon the hard way. I had put in over a hundred hours before defeating the Elite 4 for the first time in Yellow, and I traded extensively with my Pokémon Red version as well (and eventually Blue because I was still missing Magmar and Meowth). But I didn't just get some of these Pokémon from trading myself, but also from trading with other kids in my elementary school--where I lost my original Gameboy pocket (I had eventually got my hands on another, as well as a Gameboy Color that I nearly lost as well). But man, was that such euphoria when I first completed the Pokedex in Yellow version, and such disappointment when I came so close to doing so in Gold only to lose everything in a blink of an eye.

And now, as a grown man, I have caught 719 Pokémon out of a total of 721 Pokémon. I need to catch Meloetta (which I have yet to see) and Genesect, and I will finally have at least one copy of each and every Pokémon in the 6th Gen national Pokedex. Specifically in Omega Ruby version! Guess some things don't really change, but what can I say?

I'm sure there were various gaming magazines promoting it.

Myself, I don't remember actually seeing anything like that, probably because I didn't stay up to date on new info for the games specifically at that point in time.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I hope they'll become available soon since fans are very nostalgic right now and I'm sure downloads of GSC would be huge.

I think we might get Gold, Silver and Crystal for the Virtual Console around the time that Pokemon GO gets Johto pokemon added to it, this way we'll have a bunch of Gen 2 nostalgia happening all at once. :]

Sprinter1988

Well, there was speculation for a long time (remember, this was when Pokemon what everywhere so everyone talked about it) because we saw Ho-oh in the very first episode of the anime, then Misty got her Togepi, then Snubble and Marill showed up in Pikachu's Vacation while Donphan was seen in the First Movie. The Orange Island's series pretty much confirmed that more games had to be coming - Tracey had a Marill, proving that the one seen in Pikachu's Vacation wasn't a one-shot.
The second movie featured Lugia and Slowking prominently while Pikachu's Rescue Adventure revealed Elekid, Hoothoot, Bellossom and Ledyba. You couldn't have this many new pokemon revealed and not expect that something new was coming!

Then images turned up in various magazines.

The biggest confirmation for me though was that there was a Saturday morning kids show called SMTV Live which featured Pokemon as part of its lineup. When pokemon Gold and Silver were released in Japan, two of the three presenters (Ant & Dec) actually went to Japan and filmed a segment for the show about the release of Gold and Silver. Personally that was when everything was 100% confirmed.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well, there was speculation for a long time (remember, this was when Pokemon what everywhere so everyone talked about it) because we saw Ho-oh in the very first episode of the anime, then Misty got her Togepi, then Snubble and Marill showed up in Pikachu's Vacation while Donphan was seen in the First Movie. The Orange Island's series pretty much confirmed that more games had to be coming - Tracey had a Marill, proving that the one seen in Pikachu's Vacation wasn't a one-shot.

I thought that Ho-Oh's cameo in the show was proof enough that we were getting GSC cuz if I remember right, Ho-Oh's art was revealed around the time that the show began. So around 1997 I think. ^^

SebastiaanZ

I wonder Pokémon Gold Silver and Crystal will be on 3DS Virtual Console?

They probably will at some point. However I think since its the 20th anniversary and Red and Blue were the very first games coming out (leaving Green out for the moment), they just focus on those games.

To be honest 16 years ago is a pretty long time, don't remember if any commercial advertisements were on. I assume they would be before any Pokemon episode airing.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Was there teaser or news about gen 2 coming out? Other than kids WB commercial right before the Johto series

Was this the one where it started off with, "This fall, it's going to be a whole new ball!" which was showing in the opening previews for the Pokémon 2000 VHS as well as on TV? I remember being excited for that lol.

I can't remember any teasers/exact commercials for Gold and Silver, however, in the Official Pokémon Handbook (deluxe edition), the back pages was basically a sneak peek into the next generation as it brought up Togepi, Snubbull, and Marill, since this was around the time the first movie was out. Neighborhood kids were also exchanging information about it, so I think that's where I got most of my information from at the time. I didn't get the game until Christmas of... 2001, anyway, which by then, I had already been watching the anime and seen Pokémon 2000 and Spell of the Unown.

Although I did dig up this commercial while typing this post, so while I remember this commercial, this might've been sometime after Pokémon 2000 came out.

Leonhart

Imagineer
There were also probably in-store advertisements on posters and TVs in places like Toys R Us.

I do recall seeing lots of Gold & Silver version in-store advertisements at Toys "R" Us, at least where I lived. In fact, I purchased my English copy of Silver there in 2000 and got promotional Johto Pokemon stickers as a free gift.

glacialcat

I don't remember a lot of the promotion around G/S before it came out, but I do vividly remember owning a Pojo's Pokemon magazine issue. This issue had art (non-official Sugimori art, chibi-er) for all 100 new Pokemon. It helped me pick out my team before the game was even out in the U.S.

Incidentally, picking Pokemon based off how they look didn't turn out too well... even 10 year old me boxed (pre-Pure Power) Azumarill pretty quickly.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Although I did dig up this commercial while typing this post, so while I remember this commercial, this might've been sometime after Pokémon 2000 came out.

I remember this from when I was like nine hee hee. I loved seeing the hype for the Gold and Silver games back then and my favourite Gold and Silver commercial was the anime one that teased the Johto anime episodes. :D

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I don't remember a lot of the promotion around G/S before it came out, but I do vividly remember owning a Pojo's Pokemon magazine issue. This issue had art (non-official Sugimori art, chibi-er) for all 100 new Pokemon. It helped me pick out my team before the game was even out in the U.S.

Wait, I remember that magazine as well. It had unofficial art for all of Gen2's Pokemon, even Celebi lol. It was based off its G/S sprite though, so it looked ugly. I wonder if they got sued for plagiarism. :p

ZilverLox

Banned
I'm just curious, also, because Donphan was shown using rollout in Pokemon the first movie, and that was...at least 2 years before G/S/C, I think?

I'm pretty sure it was just one year before G/S/C had been released in America since that movie came out in America in 1999, and G/S/C was released in America in 2000.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Wait, I remember that magazine as well. It had unofficial art for all of Gen2's Pokemon, even Celebi lol. It was based off its G/S sprite though, so it looked ugly. I wonder if they got sued for plagiarism. :p
Their website's still around, & they still release unofficial game guides, so probably not.

Beckett did into trouble for their "Unofficial Pokemon Collector's Magazine," tho it was years later, after 4kids stopped doing the marketing & after all the regional Pokemon companies had consilidated into the Pokemon Company International.

Here's an old gen 2 promo from Pokemon's website: https://web.archive.org/web/20000619013014/http://pokemon.com/news/goldsilverunveiled.html

Status
Not open for further replies.