• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Back to Basics

Medical Meccanica

give me the booty
So I'm back to making fakemon. I missed it too much.

roeizekstarters.gif

This is all I have so far, the new starters for my region. Pure Grass/Fire/Water obviously.

If you have any suggestions to make them look more Pokemon-esque, shoot. I don't want to hear "yo dawg i dont think these look like pokemon so we put a pokemon in your pokemon so you can pokemon while you pokemon" kind of stuff.

So: Tell me why they don't look like Pokemon. The eyes? Something about the body?

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
''Yo dawg, pokemon ment to be big and yellow so put pikaclue with giant eyes with squirrels glued to his butt or somethinnnnnn''

Kiding, kiding, I hate peeps who do that.

Anyways, the 2nd one differently looks pokemon-I can imagine it in the 6th starters.
I think they're all good- but 3 little problems are bothering me:

1) The first one- giving him and anthropomorphic look, I think, doesn't suite it. The head is a wrong shape for a standing up lizard thing- but it would be a good idea for a last evolution. The ring around his tail looks a little shaded wrong as well, but that might jut be me (colorblind '-_-) I think the colors are a good choice for the lizard thing as well-yellow and lime green go together quite well.

2) Starters- Are these the final evolutions of the starters? They look a little to big and evolved to be the first evo. You could do some good first evos out of these. (And if they are the last, ignore that comment)

3) Shading- The shading one the first and last are a bit off (the second one is fine) The lizard-things left arm (it's left) has a spotlight of light on it, when pokemon sprites have one light source (usually from the top-left corner), the head would cast a shadow on the arm. The last one, the shading on the tail is a bit off- the darker bit is in the middle, rather than the edge of it (If that makes sense)

I think if you sort out shading, these would soo look like pokemon. You've done a good job here as well, so well done ^_^

Yo dawwg, the lizzardd man needs agun or somthin, he looks like hes out of doctor whoo, bii-zaaoooppp!

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
I'm going to say the don't look like pokemon because they're too big; any pokemon sprited that size tends to be fully evolved, so has more exaggurated proportions and more detail, whereas those look more like middle evos or basic pokemon, so they should be smaller.

If that's not it I'm stumped.

Medical Meccanica

give me the booty
Yeah, I noticed that they were too big as well. I tried shrinking the catfish, it worked out pretty well, but shrinking it any more would make it hard to see the whiskers.

I'll shrink and fix the others tonight. (They're the basic stages, by the way.)

Nevermore

mostly lurking
hey there MM, nice to see someone i recognise still spriting!
nice designs, it looks like you've improved a lot since i last saw sprites from you. like other people have said, the first versions are way too big (the newer ones are better), try putting them next to officiall sprites of pokemon of a similar size, and keep yours no bigger than them. for instance, your green lizard guy wouldn't be too different in size to a chamander or something, right?
the middle one, the fire type, is very cute. i think the biggest issue with it is the feet, try not keeping them all on a flat line like that, it gives a sprite much more depth if you place the feet as though there is perspective and the creature is coming towards you. if i'm not making any sense (a fair possibility, i know me well) take a look at four legged pokemon to see what i mean, how the foot that would be closer to us is set lower down.

can't wait to see some more!

Medical Meccanica

give me the booty
Oh hey Nev! Nice to see you back and spriting as well. c:

First off: Pocket Spriter! Tommorrow! Gogo!

EDIT:
Change of plans, I'll be hosting first, Twitch second. Happy Hour will still happen as normal.

written by Twitch, made forum-compatible by me

Pocket Spriter #8: Pokemon Black and Sprite! Now with worse puns!

We return to the scene of the crime with intrepid reporterspriters Involuntary Twitch and Medical Meccanica! It's a grisly scene: Pokemon fans and wanna be spriters alike, sprawled in uncomfortable positions, their fingers still clenched around their Nintendo DSes where, only an hour or so ago, the sheer elation of finally being able to play Pokemon Black and White caused massive cranial hemorrhaging. It's quite a shame, really, but who cares it's time for Pocket Spriter!!!

Coinciding with the North American release date of Pokemon B/W, we bring you the latest installment of the Pocket Spriter livestream! As usual, we will be talking at great length about the do's and dont's of fakemon spriting, while entertaining viewer suggestions, answering questions, and inviting anyone who has Skype to join in! It's going to be at 5:00PM EST on Sunday, March 6th, so grab your DS and let's gooooooo!

Panels are as follows:

Hosted by Twitch: 5:00-7:30
15 years of style: We look back on how Pokemon sprite style has changed over the years, and sprite something in B/W style!
Beekeeping tips: Another one of our _____ tips panels; this time, we'll bee looking at the diverse and very awesome bug type!
Sprite critique: A recurring favorite; we'll take a look at viewer submitted sprites and suggest improvements.

Hosted by Seika: 7:30-10:00 & Happy Hour
Make it move!: We take a look at how to animate fakemon like in B/W!
Fakedex Primer: What goes into a fakedex? How do you ensure balance and diversity? We'll make several linearts and flat-colored sprites in this block!
Happy Hour: par-tayyyyy (or go to bed early because tomorrow's Monday, after all)

As always, the link to the stream is here: Pocket Spriter! Make sure to drop by (you don't need to register for anything), and tell your friends!

Secondly. Here's a lightningbug.

lightningbug.gif

I like the design but idk about the sprite itself. Oh well.

Last edited:

spriter's friend

Abuser of Zoroark
Holy cow! I can't do fakemon so this is awesome! I can only do fusions. Currently I am making one with Victini in it. I might open a shop. =D

EzzPeon

just a passerby
Holy cow! I can't do fakemon so this is awesome! I can only do fusions. Currently I am making one with Victini in it. I might open a shop. =D
That's great, but I guess this thread is for Medical Meccanica's sprites, not for your own sprite stories.

lightningbug.gif

I kinda like this one.
The spriting is done nicely, altough I think you should make some of the black outlines of the underparts a (very) dark blue.
The idea is very nice but there are a few things that could be altered.
Great job on this though!

Last edited:

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
The lightning bug is very large! You might wanna tone it down a little although I know that has to be a pain in the butt. Other than that EzzPeon pretty much said it all. It is done very nicely though.

bones090

< brav man i is sick
The last one is very big and some of the shading is out. On the right (viewer's perspective) arm, the transition from midtone - shadow - highlight is wrong and kind of gives the sprite a broken-arm look. Also, the leaf pants are weirdly shaded, they don't seem to follow the same light source as others.

Alliance

Re-Arrival
The only problem I see is the fact that green clashes with the green Serebii backround :p
In serious matters, the final evo of the grass starter, the lower part seems to heavily surrounded by blackborders. I suggest a dark green instead.
The tails of the last to on the Grass line look kinda unshaded. I think you should maaaybbeeee make some dark shades and make the tails seem less 2D-ey

-Raiga-

I like the last one, although the shadow between the two sections of light on its back is a little confusing.

The first one is a little on the bland side for me, maybe doing something with its eyes or fins could help.

The second one is pretty decent, but kind of just feels like a lesser version of the last evo, which could be what you're going for for all I know. Also, the perspective on its back right foot seems a bit overdone to me, its minature compared to the other legs, at least if you have a dark background. Going along with that, I think the part where the front right leg connects with the body could be a bit larger, it just seems a bit thin compared to the way you did the rest of the legs.

thaBlob

< He no liek mudkipz
Great sprites, I wouldnt mind helping out if you like! Just on basic designs, I would hand them over to you for re-vamp.

Anyway. I like them, but could you edit 1st post as well ? It makes it easier to see them all. Also, the fire starter's back seems.. Wrong. Its shoulderrs are huncherd and it looks like it just got Karate-Chopped. Dont get me wrong, theyre great, but he needs a little work.