• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bad, Bad Viz

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Emails won't make a difference. That's just what they tell you to make you think you can do something about it.

I was purchasing every volume so far to support the translations of Special, in the hopes of getting the Emerald arc when it was reached. Now I will be reconsidering giving Viz my money just to be spit on later. My decision will be made for me, though, if they're skipping everything of Generation 3 to license ReBURST.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
You guys do know that "at this time we have no plans to release x" is a standard reply to things without a formal announcement, right? NoA said the exact same thing about Platinum up until the day they announced it.
Of course, but that still doesn't change the fact that they haven't announced it yet when they would've if things were the same as they have been.

ReiZerou

Why are you saying e-mails won't help when you haven't even tried? The second respond clearly says (though with a question mark), that they would publish the in-between volumes if enough people demanded it! And it isn't that much pain to write a short mail. Five minutes of your expensive time.

If you all and even more people sent Viz an e-mail in which you wish for volumes 15-29, I'm sure it will help or at least increase the possibility that they would publish it. I've said this before: they can ignore single person's wishes but not if the whole fanbase wants it.
This is the same thing as voting. You can think that it's no use, because you have a single voice. Yeah, it won't affect much. But if other people think that way too, it's already thousands of unheard voices and that is something that won't affect anything.

matt0044

In Viz's defense with DPPt they planned to release it before volume 37 and 38 came out. Before those volumes the DP chapter really could pass for it's own arc as there were very little references to the past and the Sinnoh Dexholders had no connections with anyone from past chapters. That was true until volume 38 and now Viz is screwed with plot holes since they don't plan to do RS and beyond.

Unless they stop before the past Dexholders return...

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster

Since it is highly unlikely that past Dexholders are going to appear in the flesh in Platinum I doubt that will be a problem. However I don't think Viz will stop mid way of an arc. That would be poor business to leave things unfinished. I will hate Viz if they rewrite the end of the DP arc. The ending was one of the best parts of the seventh chapter (besides the adventure itself) however since it ties up the loose ends of FRLG and Emerald arcs I don't know how that will work. Unless they pull a Star Wars on us by going backwards.

Maxim

Beyond repair
You guys do know that "at this time we have no plans to release x" is a standard reply to things without a formal announcement, right? NoA said the exact same thing about Platinum up until the day they announced it.

But they said that Volume 14 will be added the GSC Saga conclusion from Volume 15. I don't think they're doing it without a reason.

Also, Maxim, that is NOT why you were banned from Bulbagarden and I'll thank you to stop spreading lies about us.

I'm not lying, I'm just saying what the ban message said (the official reason for the ban - "Death Threats", I can even log into my dead BMGf account and make you a pic of that message if you want).

But yeah, I do realize that the actual reason for my ban was a bit different than the officially-stated one. But I've got no regrets anyway.

Funny thing - after over a year, I still don't know who did it. But I'd love to know, out of sheer curiosity (and to check if my guesses were right).

Last edited:

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
While we may know what happens, most of the typical buyers won't, so it will be a plot hole. (and a spoiler if they ever do end up releasing those arcs) What happens in volume 37 and (especially) 38 are more than just references.
Yes they will. The very panel that references it tells us what happened most of the time in adventures. The most this will do is interest you in buying the older volume when it actually comes out. Fans honestly overreact. Marvel does the same thing mentions where this panel's info came from and tells you it happens. Consumers aren't stupid they'll just be like Oh okay. You guys seriously make things over complicated.
Please this isn't a hard concept to grasp.

matt0044

^^I only wish that Viz saw this coming. This sort of thing is not to be done on purpose.

JB2448

Slice of Pecan Pie
Yes they will. The very panel that references it tells us what happened most of the time in adventures. The most this will do is interest you in buying the older volume when it actually comes out. Fans honestly overreact. Marvel does the same thing mentions where this panel's info came from and tells you it happens. Consumers aren't stupid they'll just be like Oh okay. You guys seriously make things over complicated.
Please this isn't a hard concept to grasp.
The following images are very big. Just throwing that out there.
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_37/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412_196.neuquant.png[/img139]
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_37/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412_197.neuquant.png[/img139]
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_37/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412_198.neuquant.png[/img139]
They don't even bring this up until page 34 of volume 38, and during her appearance, nothing is actually explained in terms of knowledge of the previous events of the FR/LG arc, certainly not enough to get a true feel for
Saque/Sird/Storc
as an antagonist:
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_38/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414_035.neuquant.png[/img139]
[IMG139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_38/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414_036.neuquant.png[/IMG139]
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_38/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414_037.neuquant.png[/img139]
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_38/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414_038.neuquant.png[/img139]
I ask you, sir: Have you even read Coronis's summaries of the Diamond/Pearl arc? Well, good. He does a lot better explaining previous events than he should, honestly.

My point is that unless you've read the R/S, FR/LG and Emerald arcs, the events at the end of the D/P arc won't be fully comprehensible.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
I haven't read much of the DP arc but have skimmed through the books from time to time. It really isn't that hard to comprehend these pages you've posted. and I haven't read the events from the Arcs that were mentioned.
I'll give an example. Spider-Man does this thing where sometimes an event is referenced because it takes importance in the current situation or arc. Do new reader flip out when they haven't read the Death of Gwen Stacy? No not really they just keep reading and backtrack later. Will fan kinda be annoyed at how Viz is doing things? Probably. Will a casual reader care as much. Maybe not it's not really that bad. They can always re-read these events when they do get released.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
I have to wonder what will Viz do when Kusaka does his RS remake arc along the BW arc. Probably ignore it, but if they leave it for later they won't get all the money from the hype train like they like to do... Anyways, while I can see the RS arc being released during the remake period, I have a hard time seeing Viz releasing the FRLG/E arcs thanks to massive spoilers. Unless they put the last two volumes on hiatus until they release the FRLG/E arcs since reading those arcs would kinda become pointless (especially FRLG) plotwise. I wish I could be at Viz just to see the reactions to the massive spoilers the DPPt arc has.

I haven't read much of the DP arc but have skimmed through the books from time to time. It really isn't that hard to comprehend these pages you've posted. and I haven't read the events from the Arcs that were mentioned.
I'll give an example. Spider-Man does this thing where sometimes an event is referenced because it takes importance in the current situation or arc. Do new reader flip out when they haven't read the Death of Gwen Stacy? No not really they just keep reading and backtrack later. Will fan kinda be annoyed at how Viz is doing things? Probably. Will a casual reader care as much. Maybe not it's not really that bad. They can always re-read these events when they do get released.

With spoilers, it all depends how big they are and much effect it has on the story. Will the knowledge of the death of Gwen Stacy have much effect later on in that story (moreover it looks like she died long ago?)? Such a spoiler wouldn't be that bad compared to DPPt's massive spoilers that basically tells everyone what happened in FRLG/E arcs and why (kinda). Fans can backtrack, but casual ones probably won't bother since they know what happened. I don't think that Kusaka meant for new readers to be starting with DPPt without reading FRLG and Emerald with those massive spoilers. Such spoilers effect the reading for past (the mystery and curiousity are gone) arcs and could effect the next arcs that Saki will star in.

It honestly wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for those 3 pages.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
With spoilers, it all depends how big they are and much effect it has on the story. Will the knowledge of the death of Gwen Stacy have much effect later on in that story (moreover it looks like she died long ago?)? Such a spoiler wouldn't be that bad compared to DPPt's massive spoilers that basically tells everyone what happened in FRLG/E arcs and why (kinda). Fans can backtrack, but casual ones probably won't bother since they know what happened. I don't think that Kusaka meant for new readers to be starting with DPPt without reading FRLG and Emerald with those massive spoilers. Such spoilers effect the reading for past (the mystery and curiousity are gone) arcs and could effect the next arcs that Saki will star in.

It honestly wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for those 3 pages.
See her death is just one example. A real recent one would Marla dying and what she had to do with the Spider Slayers and that was ages ago. Yet that was brought back for a bit to move along the story. Sure each panel mentions what to read if you want to know more but it's not like it really hurts the story. Some readers may not even mind the "spoilers" in fact. I guess if they were fans enough to know it's an ongoing they could just hold off reading till the new books are out. I'm tempted to say it will happen sooner rather than later. Maybe if you do read the past issue something will be spoiled sure but offhanded the DPPt story arc can keep going regardless if you know all the details.
On a better note it is possible to enjoy a story where you know the ending. Sure you know certain things but the how this happened sometimes is more important then what happened. It all depends on how you view it.

Last edited:

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I`m actual kinda sad to see that Viz ain`t having any plans to translate the RS arc into English without any of them crazy little mistakes that Chuang Yi makes.I also think that them making English adaptations of DP arc instead of doing the RS arc is kinda of a dumb choice.Trying to three different arcs at the same time is kinda tough,so I actual see why Viz might be doing it.In my personal opinion,I think that they might publish the RS arc wide edition that`s currently being published in Japan to make it look better instead of ruining the arc by adding a chapter from the next vol to the current volume that is out.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Why are you saying e-mails won't help when you haven't even tried? The second respond clearly says (though with a question mark), that they would publish the in-between volumes if enough people demanded it! And it isn't that much pain to write a short mail. Five minutes of your expensive time.

If you all and even more people sent Viz an e-mail in which you wish for volumes 15-29, I'm sure it will help or at least increase the possibility that they would publish it. I've said this before: they can ignore single person's wishes but not if the whole fanbase wants it.
This is the same thing as voting. You can think that it's no use, because you have a single voice. Yeah, it won't affect much. But if other people think that way too, it's already thousands of unheard voices and that is something that won't affect anything.

The emails are being responded to with form letters. Nothing more. Telling people to "keep sending emails" because "maybe we'll change our minds if enough people ask" is just to keep you supporting their product in a neverending runaround. They want you to buy Diamond & Pearl and Black & White. Nothing will change that. They don't care about any of our opinions anyway, because the only market they care about is a much younger demographic than us.

That's the ugly fact that you'll have to face. The only thing that influences the decisions of any business is money. A smaller market that will buy the Ruby and Sapphire arc will be ignored in favor of kids who will buy anything with the familiar Pokemon from Black and White on it. Viz does not care about what you or I want and they are simply sending these emails to keep us buying what they do put out.

But you know what? I'll humor you. I'll send one of my own. Let's see if I get a form letter just like the others.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Of course you'll get a form letter. That says nothing about their actual plans or their motive in saying to write.

Kameinu

Arooo!
I wouldn't be annoyed by this if their speed for trasnlating and releasing wasn't so annoying. If RS remakes do come, they better release them quick and start with the RS remakes chapters soon after. -_-'

They got a hold of BW early, this guys have the resources, they're just freaking lazy.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
But what point is there in begging for something that they have absolutely no financial motivation in publishing? There's nothing in those arcs that can be exploited in marketing like DP and BW can.

I sent the email, but let me be honest here - it won't make a difference even if we all write to them. This kind of thing has happened before. They don't want to give us the Gen 3 arcs under any circumstances, and that won't change.

ReiZerou

But what point is there in begging for something that they have absolutely no financial motivation in publishing? There's nothing in those arcs that can be exploited in marketing like DP and BW can.

I sent the email, but let me be honest here - it won't make a difference even if we all write to them. This kind of thing has happened before. They don't want to give us the Gen 3 arcs under any circumstances, and that won't change.
Do you think they have time to aswer everyone individually? No. And on top of that, they are representing Viz so they can't say just anything that pops to their mind. And yes, I know they care about money, but this is the way we will show them that we are ready to buy their products. And Viz just needs to trust that the arc's STORY is good. Because it is! Viz has to bring something fresh to markets sometimes, by themselves. Even if Viz is the publisher of mass popular manga, it must take some risks sometimes. Republishing Pokémon was a risk, for example.

But thank you for still taking part in this by sending the e-mail. : ) We thank you.

Maybe I'm just being naive, but I just can't believe that Viz wouldn't listen to any of its readers. Especially if there's lots of them wanting the same thing. And hey, they will read them and sometimes even bother answering. Even if it's just a formal letter.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
I don't think they will. They'll probably just publish it as it is the book, spoilers/plotholes/whatever-you-want-to-call-it and all.

But they said that Volume 14 will be added the GSC Saga conclusion from Volume 15. I don't think they're doing it without a reason.
Exactly!

Yes they will. The very panel that references it tells us what happened most of the time in adventures.
True, but they will still wonder where it comes from though. And be spoiled.

The most this will do is interest you in buying the older volume when it actually comes out.
Also true, but you have to remember that's an if, not a when. And actually even if we do end up getting them, we'll probably only get the Ruby/Sapphire arc since Viz only seems to be interested in releasing arcs pertaining to current/recent games.

Fans honestly overreact. You guys seriously make things over complicated. Please this isn't a hard concept to grasp.
I don't think it's too much of an over-reaction. Viz is being unprofessional and it is annoying/worrying. There's still no guarantee we'll get the arcs, and even if we do it's annoying we'll have to wait even longer for them. It's also annoying that new fans will have to wait on reading the older arcs (or possibly not get to read them at all), and that they'll get major spoilers from the last two DP volumes as well. It's not that we don't understand the concept or that we're making this over-complicated (or trying to), we're just annoyed by it. Just because you support a release of something and/or a company doesn't mean you have to like everything about it and understand and like everything they do.

Consumers aren't stupid they'll just be like Oh okay.
Oh I definitely agree that consumers aren't stupid, but that still doesn't excuse them doing this to us. And I wouldn't be so sure. I'm sure they will be some consumers who'll be annoyed at being spoiled and then having to wait to get the volumes, if they even get them at all.

^^I only wish that Viz saw this coming. This sort of thing is not to be done on purpose.
It definitely wasn't done on purpose. And well, if Viz had actually be paying attention to what was in the volumes then they would have. Volumes 37 and 38 both came out before their first DP volume did, and had they have noticed beforehand they could have just cancelled the release 'til they could finish releasing the arcs before it.

Don't forget that silhouettes of Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald and older FRLG! Red, Blue, Yellow, Green and Silver were shown in volume 37 as well. Admittedly that isn't as big as the volume 38 spoilers, but I could see it confusing fans who don't know better.

No not really they just keep reading and backtrack later. hey can always re-read these events when they do get released.
The thing is fans might not be able to backtrack later though. (if Viz doesn't release the older arcs) And even if they do release them at some point it doesn't change the fact that the fans won't be able to read them for quite some time.

I guess if they were fans enough to know it's an ongoing they could just hold off reading till the new books are out.
True, but the thing is the fans who don't know won't hold off, and those are the ones it'll be a problem for.

Trying to three different arcs at the same time is kinda tough,so I actual see why Viz might be doing it.In my personal opinion,I think that they might publish the RS arc wide edition that`s currently being published in Japan to make it look better instead of ruining the arc by adding a chapter from the next vol to the current volume that is out.
Don't they have different teams working on each arc though? And I still don't think Viz will release the wide bans, but I guess we'll see.

A smaller market that will buy the Ruby and Sapphire arc will be ignored in favor of kids who will buy anything with the familiar Pokemon from Black and White on it.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. If kids are fans of the series they'll be likely to buy any of the books.

In fact, the fact that the older volumes sold well enough for Viz to decide to translate more than one arc at once goes to show that their target demographic is willing to buy the older volumes too.

They got a hold of BW early, this guys have the resources, they're just freaking lazy.
BW is being released via magazines in Japan though, so it's not that surprising they were able to get their hands on it to release it.

Last edited:

Ememew

Emerald Mew
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_37/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412_196.neuquant.png[/img139]
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_37/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412_197.neuquant.png[/img139]
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_37/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412/Pokemon_Special_v37_c412_198.neuquant.png[/img139]
They don't even bring this up until page 34 of volume 38, and during her appearance, nothing is actually explained in terms of knowledge of the previous events of the FR/LG arc, certainly not enough to get a true feel for
Saque/Sird/Storc
as an antagonist:
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_38/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414_035.neuquant.png[/img139]
[IMG139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_38/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414_036.neuquant.png[/IMG139]
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_38/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414_037.neuquant.png[/img139]
[img139]http://jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_38/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414/Pokemon_Special_v38_c414_038.neuquant.png[/img139]
I ask you, sir: Have you even read Coronis's summaries of the Diamond/Pearl arc? Well, good. He does a lot better explaining previous events than he should, honestly.

My point is that unless you've read the R/S, FR/LG and Emerald arcs, the events at the end of the D/P arc won't be fully comprehensible.

I just hope they don't try to get around that by only showing the ending that was in the magazine and skipping the actual volume ending altogether . . . I can just see Viz doing that, though.