• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bad, Bad Viz

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
If anyone in that very young target age group actually 1) cares enough to look up the entire history of Pokemon Adventures (which, keep in mind, Viz decided to remove Black and White from, so it's not like Viz wants people to even know what that IS), then 2) find out there were three skipped arcs and 3) email the company to complain, they are such a remote minority that catering to them is a money-losing affair.

Decided to remove BW from? IT SAYS POKEMON ADVENTURES RIGHT ON THE BACK COVER. In no uncertain terms, they state it's part of the same series.

That's a good joke, you should write it down.

...wait, was I supposed to be insulted?

You show ignorance when you say that kids don't care. You come across like Al Kahn, frankly, vastly underestimating the fanbase.

BM14murph

Master Collector
Has anybody tried to cotact Viz and see what they have to say about skipping the R/S arc

Im honestly outraged by it i was loving reading them all in chronological order and what not. Although releasing D/P/Pt and B/W seperately are a good way to catch up

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Has anybody tried to cotact Viz and see what they have to say about skipping the R/S arc

Im honestly outraged by it i was loving reading them all in chronological order and what not. Although releasing D/P/Pt and B/W seperately are a good way to catch up

Some have contacted them. We all suspect they aren't releasing the arcs because they are not marketable. Generation 3 is a very old gameboy advance game. This is a bad idea because FRLG is sure not to get a remake so when will they release the arcs. I would think Viz would want more money.

matt0044

Honestly, I don't think it should matter about promoting games but rather entertaining people with a good story and cast of characters in order to get money.

So what if Ruby and Sapphire haven't been remade yet? There are fans of Pokemon Special (young or old) who'd love to own physical copies of the Ruby and Sapphire arcs. Just because those games are old news doesn't mean people won't like them. Of course, that depends on personal preferences but whatever.

If Viz wants to make some major moolah from Pokemon fans, then they should translate more of Pokemon Special regardless of the current games. If they have doubts, they should check out this part of the forums and see just how many people love this series.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Some have contacted them. We all suspect they aren't releasing the arcs because they are not marketable. Generation 3 is a very old gameboy advance game. This is a bad idea because FRLG is sure not to get a remake so when will they release the arcs. I would think Viz would want more money.

We don't all suspect that. Only those who see "no plans to release it at this time" and assume that means they don't have any plans at all to ever release it despite their words being pretty standard boilerplate. Does no one remember that NoA said the same thing about Platinum before the official announcement?

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
they are such a remote minority that catering to them is a money-losing affair.
No it wouldn't be. If they released them people would see that they exist, and would buy them.

[img139]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5223/37828626.png[/img139]

O hai. What have we here?
For those curious, that's in volume 37, or what will be DPPt volume 8. (which is the volume Saque first reappears in)

Although releasing D/P/Pt and B/W seperately are a good way to catch up
Yes people have tried to contact them, but we haven't gotten an answer outside of "Currently we don't have plans to translate the Ruby/Sapphire story arc" or "Basically, we are relaunching with vol. 30: Diamond and Pearl/Platinum. Unless of course, enough people demand the volumes in between?" yet. Also, it looks like they might not release the FireRed/LeafGreen or Emerald arcs either.

I guess, but it would have been easier just to have sped up the release rate of the older volumes. That way when we did get to the newer stuff we'd still have all the old stuff inbetween as well, and wouldn't have to worry about spoilers/plot holes due to the missing volumes.

We all suspect they aren't releasing the arcs because they are not marketable.
We're guessing either that or that they might be holding off on RS for possible RS remakes. Sadly either way we probably won't get the FireRed/LeafGreen or Emerald arcs though.

We don't all suspect that.
Most people do. Or they at least consider it a possibility.

Only those who see "no plans to release it at this time" and assume that means they don't have any plans at all to ever release it despite their words being pretty standard boilerplate. Does no one remember that NoA said the same thing about Platinum before the official announcement?
First off, we're not assuming it just because of that, FYI. We're assuming it because of this: "Basically, we are relaunching with vol. 30: Diamond and Pearl/Platinum.

Unless of course, enough people demand the volumes in between?"

And secondly, we're not assuming that Viz won't ever release the RS arc, because almost everyone has said them holding out on RS for possible RS remakes is a possibility. We're just considering them not releasing them a possibility as well because it is possible, and at the very least we probably aren't going to get the FireRed/LeafGreen or Emerald arcs.

Also, if that's standard stuff then why have we never got a reply saying that before? We only got it now when we asked about the RS arc. Not only that, but if that was standard stuff then why aren't they saying it about the FR/LG and Emerald arcs too? (even when we ask the exact same question about those arcs?)

Last edited:

Ememew

Emerald Mew
Aren't there other references to the "skipped" arcs in D/P/Pt? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sapphire's badge-quest referred to when Platinum fought Byron? I think the 8 badges in 80 days thing was, anyway. Wasn't Platinum's mom first introduced in the Emerald arc? Personally, I hope Kusaka includes some major R/S/Fr/Lg/E references later in the Platinum arc or later in B/W just to spite Viz.

Anyway, does anyone here really think kids wouldn't buy the R/S/Fr/Lg/E arcs because they have names of unfamiliar games on them? Or would it be more likely that they would look at the "Pokemon" in the title and get it due to that?

Even if the characters aren't familiar* they'd probably buy it for the Pokemon. Yellow wasn't a current title in any way when Viz re-released the Yellow arc, was it? If the kids did research, they'd figure out that there were Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald games, and versions of games that existed before the remakes. If the don't bother researching, the worst case scenario would be that they'd think Ruby and Sapphire were OCs like Yellow until the RSEmakes come out (then they'd think the manga was psychic . . .).

*This would only be a potential problem with the R/S arc, anyway (because Red and the other original Dex holders appear in both FrLg (duh) and Emerald), and wouldn't even be a problem then if they kept the last chapter of G/S/C with the start of R/S since kids would be introduced to them simultaneously with finishing a current arc

Last edited:
I agree with Blackjack on people underestimating the target audience. I'm still sure that if enough people ask, we can get the other arcs.

Also for those saying that no one will remember the 3rd gen. games, if that is true that younger kids won't remember the older games, then why did Viz translate the first two arcs? They are based on REALLY old games, Viz released them after a long, long hiatus, and people still bought them.
I think younger kids would still know about the 3rd gen games.

Though I will admit one thing, I am not ruling out the possibility that they won't release the 3rd gen chapters (I may be optimistic, but I'm careful not to let my hopes up too much). Still, it never hurts to keep asking.

That's about all I can say on the matter, for now.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
No it wouldn't be. If they released them people would see that they exist, and would buy them.

So being released = guaranteed success?

For those curious, that's in volume 37, or what will be DPPt volume 8. (which is the volume Saque first reappears in)

So it doesn't make a difference, because the presence of Sird creates the problem anyway.

We're guessing either that or that they might be holding off on RS for possible RS remakes. Sadly either way we probably won't get the FireRed/LeafGreen or Emerald arcs though.

So the narrative of the plot gets ruined anyway. Either they release the entire story, or they should be releasing none of it. It's pretty simple. Chopping up the story and deliberately leaving holes in it is an insult to the readers, those who are aware of it and those who are not.

Honestly, I don't think it should matter about promoting games but rather entertaining people with a good story and cast of characters in order to get money.

Your point is correct, but "entertaining people with a good story" doesn't sell by looking at the covers. You have to be able to sell your product by having people convinced to buy it the moment they look at the cover on the shelf. People look at it and see a bunch of unfamiliar Pokemon and characters and put it right back down.

Also for those saying that no one will remember the 3rd gen. games, if that is true that younger kids won't remember the older games, then why did Viz translate the first two arcs? They are based on REALLY old games, Viz released them after a long, long hiatus, and people still bought them.
I think younger kids would still know about the 3rd gen games.

Ask 10 kids on the street who Bulbasaur is, then ask them who Treecko is. See which gets recognized more.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
If ever I get around to ask Viz about it , Just gonna suggest to them that just to wide ban release them if there ever comes a chance that they will release the 3rd gen arcs at all. That would be a shorter way that they can get volumes 15 - 29 out before any big confusion when the 37th Volume ( 8th I think in the relaunched Diamond and Pearl arc series ) has a major spoiler for the North American readers with Sird coming back to now be part of Team Galactic. My luck the letter would be treated like the letter I sent asking Nintendo of America if they ever plan to release the games that they have AWOL`ed that were on the Wii. But back on the rails now , I`m just really hoping they will release that arc since the 3rd generation was the first generation that I ever played.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
So being released = guaranteed success?
No, of course it doesn't. But I'm sure enough people would buy the RS/FRLG/E volumes (if they released them) to make it worthwhile.

So it doesn't make a difference, because the presence of Sird creates the problem anyway.
No, not really. I was just saying it so people who didn't know would know what volume it would be in, and that Saque (Sird's real name) actually isn't the only "problem" in that volume.

So the narrative of the plot gets ruined anyway. Either they release the entire story, or they should be releasing none of it. It's pretty simple. Chopping up the story and deliberately leaving holes in it is an insult to the readers, those who are aware of it and those who are not.
Yep! And exactly.

Your point is People look at it and see a bunch of unfamiliar Pokemon and characters and put it right back down.
Well, the FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald arcs would have familiar characters in it. And wouldn't they at least recognize some of the Hoenn Pokemon from the most recent games? (like DPPt and HGSS?)

when the 37th Volume ( 8th I think in the relaunched Diamond and Pearl arc series )
Yep, that's correct.

But back on the rails now , I`m just really hoping they will release that arc since the 3rd generation was the first generation that I ever played.
It was the first generation I ever played too. :) And the first arc I ever read of Pokemon Special was the R/S arc too.

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
But Black/ white arc that they are currently releasing from the magazines, has a lot of plotholes too. I wonder if viz actually reads the manga before translating or only looks in it while translating and editing. Till what volume of the DP arc will they release anyway? if they'll release the whole arc its stupid for not releasing the RS, FRLG and E arc first.
They are doing a very messy job with releasing volumes of Pokespecial.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
But Black/ white arc that they are currently releasing from the magazines, has a lot of plotholes too. I wonder if viz actually reads the manga before translating or only looks in it while translating and editing. Till what volume of the DP arc will they release anyway? if they'll release the whole arc its stupid for not releasing the RS, FRLG and E arc first.

Like.............?

Specify, please.

I'm sure Viz will be able to respond to this whole situation as soon as they catch up on the Black and White magazine run. How often do each of the chapters last? A month? I don't recall asking, but hasn't there been a similar situation with another manga series Viz ran and went back? Who knows, maybe they just want to surprise us next month when volume 14 comes around the corner; unless it's just more of those advertisement for the other series then oh well. Didn't the Dex Holders mention that there were other trainers getting Pokemon elsewhere ( Hoenn? ) and secondly, you can see Birch on the panel in the first DP volume. Where the four are aligned near the chapters I think. We must not give up hope. Even if they don't have any plans in the meantime, it doesn't mean they will skip the 3rd generation Adventures series! Why I have nostalgia over the 3rd gen compared to the 4th and yet I love those two. Or maybe, they're doing something different like looking into all the chapters of the 3rd generation Adventure series to even out the chapters in each volume? Example here; the FRLG saga also has a chapter that features Emerald. I'm confusing aren't I?

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Just like them. If the series isn't that popular then they drop it. Naruto, Bleach and One Piece sure are awesome aren't they?

Don't remind me how retarded their translation of Fullmetal Alchemist is. You should read about what else they dropped. Anyone here a fan of Gintama (I'm not but I'm just asking)?

Last edited: