• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bad, Bad Viz

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince

Zino

Ice Cream Truck
I was so shocked when I read that they aren't releasing 15-29 volumes, I was so looking forward for them D:

Sent an e-mail, asking what was going on, and got back reply, that they've already got lots of letters. So maybe there's hope after all...

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
I was so shocked when I read that they aren't releasing 15-29 volumes, I was so looking forward for them D:

Sent an e-mail, asking what was going on, and got back reply, that they've already got lots of letters. So maybe there's hope after all...
Same here. They were actually the volumes I was probably looking forward to most, actually. xD;

And could you take a picture of this email for us, or at least copy and paste what they said? :3

Zino

Ice Cream Truck
^ Me too! R/S arc is my favorite and wanted to see it on my bookshelf! :'D

So I was just basically asking are they ever gonna release those volumes, like maybe after Platinum, or Black and White -arcs, and they replied me back:

"Right now we still have those but we have gotten a lot of letters!"

I don't want to get my hopes up, but maybe if people keep sending e-mails...

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Out of curiosity, how many of them are done by Viz?

I have no idea. But either way, it's a proven business model.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Well of course they're more expensive, since they're bigger. But not greatly so, and I see many of them on shelves for a variety of different series. The biggest problem with them is that the bindings tend to break easier simply due to the size.

But they still sell, since they're basically (usually) three volumes for the price of two.

I've seen plenty as well, but not that much that they stand out with the multitude of regular tankōbon. They seem to be used for certain series that only teens and up would take the chance to read.

I think it all comes down to is how much money is Viz willing to spend and how much they want. The RS wide-bans for the cheap way, the individual volumes for the more money! way; considering that they are going cheaper than the price of two regular tankōbon.

Out of curiosity, how many of them are done by Viz?

The only Viz manga I can think that were bigger than normal manga is the manga Pluto and Black Lagoon, both which was seinen. And neither of those come close to the number of pages that the RS wide-bans has. I don't if know if those are consider wide-ban or not, but those are the closest I've seen (from memory).

It's interesting, though, to see that they are paying attention to their letters despite the replies we have previously gotten.

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
So I was just basically asking are they ever gonna release those volumes, like maybe after Platinum, or Black and White -arcs, and they replied me back:

"Right now we still have those but we have gotten a lot of letters!"

I don't want to get my hopes up, but maybe if people keep sending e-mails...

Something about that reply seriously amuses me.

If nothing else, its nice to know that these aren't all automated. Maybe these emails will be effective...and maybe we'll get the arcs anyways when EarthRuby and SeaSapphire come out.

You know, I think it's possible for us to see the RS arc released stateside. If you look at the recent news on Nintendo of America not releasing the Big 3 titles that's happening in Europe (Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower) , we can do the same with Viz by pouring our voices to them so we can get volumes 15 to 29! Come on gang, we shall not quit, we can keep pushing forward to experience more of the Pokemon mangaverse! The author said he wanted everyone to read and experience it together! Lets make that happen.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
The author said he wanted everyone to read and experience it together!

The author's opinion barely matters in the cold, unforgiving world of sales.

Viz made it clear what is going to happen by "relaunching" with Diamond and Pearl. There would be no need for a "relaunch" if the RSE arcs weren't deliberately skipped. They do not want to release them, end of story.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

"Relaunching" is what the ENTIRE SERIES has done. Every volume we've gotten has been because Viz decided to relaunch Special. That they're skipping ahead a bit doesn't say anything about releasing volumes in between.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
And I repeat this question. How can they relaunch the series with the Diamond & Pearl chapter, when they already did that be rereleasing the series in the first place?

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
That they're skipping ahead a bit doesn't say anything about releasing volumes in between.
No, but them saying they plan to "relaunch" the series with DP and that they currently don't have any plans to release RS does.

And I repeat this question. How can they relaunch the series with the Diamond & Pearl chapter, when they already did that be rereleasing the series in the first place?
Well, stopping the release of the older volumes after GSC and "restarting" with DP-onward would technically be a relaunch. I agree it's weird, but it doesn't matter that we don't consider it a relaunch because Viz does.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

"Relaunching" is what the ENTIRE SERIES has done. Every volume we've gotten has been because Viz decided to relaunch Special. That they're skipping ahead a bit doesn't say anything about releasing volumes in between.

I guess I have to quote it again...

Basically, we are relaunching with vol. 30: Diamond and Pearl/Platinum.

I'm sorry that you would rather not face facts. Good luck with that.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
What facts? The "facts" are that they released DP as a split-off. It has nothing to do with releasing RSE or not.

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
they are just avoiding the question to not disappoint us, too bad for them that we are disappointed. Why does it has to be the arcs that I love the most that would be translated. first they are angry about the sites who has the fan-translated version but they aren't even planning on finishing special. I am sure those 3 arcs will be the ones that bring more attention to the manga.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Again, you guys are assuming too much.

Also, Viz has released Ruroni Kenshin and Dragon Ball/DBZ in the wide volumes, and Dragon Ball has a lot of the same fans as Pokemon (sure you can quibble and point out that it has a higher rating, but it only has a higher rating because of restrictions. It still appeals to the same basic fanbase).

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
The "facts" are that they released DP as a split-off. It has nothing to do with releasing RSE or not.
But Viz is considering their release of DP a relaunch for the series itself -- not just a split-off. And because of that, it does have something to do with releasing/not releasing RSE. It's connected because they are all part of the same series, and their wording does suggest things pertaining to releasing/not releasing the RS/FRLG/E arcs.

Again, you guys are assuming too much.
I don't think so. Given Viz's comment about relaunching the series with DP I don't think there is anything wrong in assuming we won't get RS/FRLG/E. It is a likely possibility, after all. At the same time though, I do think people should realize that it's only a possibility and that we should not take it for fact yet. Especially since there is another possibility as well -- Viz's comment about having no current plans to release RS means we still might get it at some point, just later than we originally were.

I don't think there's anything wrong with assuming we won't get the FireRed/LeafGreen or the Emerald arcs though. If we were getting them I don't think they would have said anything at all, or I think they would have said something different than what we got at the very least. Not only that, but if we were still getting them but just going to get them later than expected (like what might be the case with the RS arc), I think they would have said the exact same thing about the FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald arcs that they did about RS. (that they "currently" have no plans to release them)

Also, Viz has released Ruroni Kenshin and Dragon Ball/DBZ in the wide volumes, and Dragon Ball has a lot of the same fans as Pokemon (sure you can quibble and point out that it has a higher rating, but it only has a higher rating because of restrictions. It still appeals to the same basic fanbase).
It doesn't matter what fanbase it appeals to though. Viz treat their mangas differently based on ratings, not what fanbase they appeal to. But since Viz has released wide-bans before, I do agree that it isn't too much to assume that they might do the same with Adventures. (even if it does have a different rating) Especially since they are making volume 14 bigger (making it almost the size of a wide-ban), suggesting that they don't mind releasing wide-bans under their VizKids label/All Ages rating.

Last edited:

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions

They have? I thought those were released as omnibus not wide-bans. I'm not quite sure those are the same things.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
You guys realize that a "relaunch" is something very different from what you all seem to think it is. Like the show "relaunches" every time it changes its title, but it's the same show.

Isn't an omnibus and a wideban the same thing? As in, multiple books in one?

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
You guys realize that a "relaunch" is something very different from what you all seem to think it is. Like the show "relaunches" every time it changes its title, but it's the same show.

Nobody ever says that the show is "relaunching" when the series title changes either. Even in Japan it's just referred to as the "new series" and the US uses seasons.

Nobody has yet provided any logical reason as to why Viz would skip THREE whole arcs (and probably kill HGSS later, too) and then just go back and release them years from now. Nobody.

Last edited: