• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bad, Bad Viz

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
That's because no one is saying "years from now".

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
They have? I thought those were released as omnibus not wide-bans. I'm not quite sure those are the same things.
Oh my bad then. I didn't really know what Blackjack Gabbiani was talking about to be honest, but I figured since it was brought up in this conversation that it was a wide-ban. But yeah, I don't think those are the same things either.

You guys realize that a "relaunch" is something very different from what you all seem to think it is. Like the show "relaunches" every time it changes its title, but it's the same show.
I don't believe it is. And if that was how they meant it; then why are they only using it on DP?

Isn't an omnibus and a wideban the same thing? As in, multiple books in one?
I don't believe so. I think an omnibus is a rerelease of something that has bonus content in it and (sometimes?) has more chapters per book; while a wide-ban is multiple books in one. I believe when Kusaka and Satoshi first announced that they were rereleasing RS in wide-bans that someone explained in that thread that there was a difference between the two.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Oh my bad then. I didn't really know what Blackjack Gabbiani was talking about to be honest, but I figured since it was brought up in this conversation that it was a wide-ban. But yeah, I don't think those are the same things either.

Hahaha, it's not a problem. I was just lucky enough to have seen the DBZ ones once along with others before and I remember seeing the word "omnibus" on one of them.

I don't believe so. I think an omnibus is a rerelease of something that has bonus content in it and (sometimes?) has more chapters per book; while a wide-ban is multiple books in one. I believe when Kusaka and Satoshi first announced that they were rereleasing RS in wide-bans that someone explained in that thread that there was a difference between the two.

Omnibus are used to finish off a series that wasn't completed as well and wide-bans for rereleasing, though. Omnibus also contains many books or films in one (I even seen it being used for anime), so it could be the "for everything" word while wide-bans are just for books. So, it could be US word for wide-bans for manga with the only differences being the size and when they are used. They do seem very similar, I have to admit, so they could be seen as the same thing...

-Omnibus: used for whenever companies want to cut costs for not highly popular series, to finish off series that aren't doing well, or for rereleasing old (popular or not) series?
-Wide-bans: used for certain genres that have short amount volumes that aren't worth putting out individually and rereleasing old series that might not make much money individually (could be because they were popular once)?

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Then what time period are we talking here?

"Eventually", likely within a year.

I don't believe it is. And if that was how they meant it; then why are they only using it on DP?

How should I know? But if you notice, they DO only use it on DP, not on BW as well.[/QUOTE]

Omnibus are used to finish off a series that wasn't completed as well and wide-bans for rereleasing, though. Omnibus also contains many books or films in one (I even seen it being used for anime), so it could be the "for everything" word while wide-bans are just for books. So, it could be US word for wide-bans for manga with the only differences being the size and when they are used. They do seem very similar, I have to admit, so they could be seen as the same thing...

-Omnibus: used for whenever companies want to cut costs for not highly popular series, to finish off series that aren't doing well, or for rereleasing old (popular or not) series?
-Wide-bans: used for certain genres that have short amount volumes that aren't worth putting out individually and rereleasing old series that might not make much money individually (could be because they were popular once)?

That seems a bit redundant, gotta say, considering that either of those definitions could apply to, say, the Azumanga Daioh omnibus.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
It's more for this though comic book companies make them happen more often then mangas. Say someone wants to read a run done by JMS or Dan Slott they just wait for the Omnibus. They cost a pretty penny though. In other words this is for an entire series.
Wide bans can be used to buy more of the series in less volumes and in the end cost you a little less.
Nobody has yet provided any logical reason as to why Viz would skip THREE whole arcs (and probably kill HGSS later, too) and then just go back and release them years from now. Nobody.
I already said they probably know remakes of RSE are gonna happen and will wait till then. It's pretty obvious.

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
"Eventually", likely within a year.

Yeah, okay. I don't think you really believe they're going to deliberately make such a massive skip just to go back a year later.

I already said they probably know remakes of RSE are gonna happen and will wait till then. It's pretty obvious.

And that justifies killing FRLG and almost certainly HGSS?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Yeah, okay. I don't think you really believe they're going to deliberately make such a massive skip just to go back a year later.

Considering that this company went back a DECADE later to release the series at all, I don't think that's out of the realm of possibilities.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Considering that this company went back a DECADE later to release the series at all, I don't think that's out of the realm of possibilities.

There's a difference between bringing out a money-making franchise and releasing one specific part of it that nobody outside of the diehards even really knows or cares about.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Omnibus are used to finish off a series that wasn't completed as well and wide-bans for rereleasing, though.
But the Sailor Moon manga was rereleased in an omnibus and it was completed.

Omnibus also contains many books or films in one (I even seen it being used for anime)
That's interesting, I never knew it was used for anime as well. :O

How should I know? But if you notice, they DO only use it on DP, not on BW as well.
Because they don't have to use it on BW. Saying they are relaunching the series with DP just means they are restarting from that point onward, so stuff like Platinum and BW are implied since they come after DP and they didn't specify an ending for the relaunch.

It's more for this though comic book companies make them happen more often then mangas. Say someone wants to read a run done by JMS or Dan Slott they just wait for the Omnibus. They cost a pretty penny though. In other words this is for an entire series.
Wide bans can be used to buy more of the series in less volumes and in the end cost you a little less.
So in other words omnibuses are rereleases of older series while wide bans are used to make it where you can buy less volumes of something but still get the whole thing?

By "know" do you mean they were told or they are just guessing there will be remakes? Because I could see them just guessing that there will be remakes and waiting for them (although that is unprofessional to wait on an "if"), but I can't see them knowing something we don't know. I mean I know they are a company, but I don't think an English manga translating company would know something from a Japanese gaming company before anyone else knows. For example, I know they timed the GSC arc to come out when HGSS was coming out but everyone already knew that HGSS was coming out because it was confirmed by Japan.

I do. If they had plans to release those arcs they would have just kept doing what they were doing. There is literally no reason for them to suddenly stop their release of the older arcs and to wait a year or so and then start back up again. Because if anything, that would hurt them. Time is of the essence right now because the longer they wait on releasing the RS/FRLG/E arcs the older the arcs will become and the less likely they'll be known by potential buyers. (which would hurt their sales) Now I agree that them holding out on releasing RS for possible RS remakes is definitely a possibility, but even if we do get them I don't think we're going to get anything other than the RS arc.

Last edited:

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
Makes it better reason to at least translate FRLG arc. I want the others too not sure why viz would think there will be an rs remake. Just because. The older games got 1 doesn't mean rs will get one too. The grapics are decent from those games. So stupid for them to not translate the renaining arcs. Since those are the best arcs of the manga.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
There's a difference between bringing out a money-making franchise and releasing one specific part of it that nobody outside of the diehards even really knows or cares about.

But that any fool could figure out exists and that ties directly into the arcs currently in stores?

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
But that any fool could figure out exists and that ties directly into the arcs currently in stores?

That's the only thing even remotely in its favor. But again, is the target audience reading for the plotline or the excitement of seeing stuff from their video games in book form?

You're going to have to eventually realize that neither you or I are in the target audience for who Viz wants to sell these books to. What we want makes absolutely no difference to them, no matter how many plot holes, copypasted emails, thin excuses and whatever else gets thrown into the debate. The only money that's green to Viz is that of kids who might be too young to have even played or known about Ruby and Sapphire in the first place.

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
And that justifies killing FRLG and almost certainly HGSS?

I don't know a whole lot about the R/S/E and FR/LG arcs, but im pretty sure the two are connected - at least RGLG to Emerald? So I don't see why they wouldn't release those arcs if they decided to do R/S.

Of course, you could argue that those arcs are connected to DP and yet they still decided not to do R/S, but hey.

Darkxninga

I don't know a whole lot about the R/S/E and FR/LG arcs, but im pretty sure the two are connected - at least RGLG to Emerald? So I don't see why they wouldn't release those arcs if they decided to do R/S.

Of course, you could argue that those arcs are connected to DP and yet they still decided not to do R/S, but hey.

Yeah the R/S arcs are connected to the two following arcs (FRLG and Emerald). I'm not gonna spoil it for you so I'll just say if the R/S series aren't released, but the FRLG and/or Emerald was it wouldn't make any sense, not one bit. It would be even worse than the "Best of's".

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
That's the only thing even remotely in its favor. But again, is the target audience reading for the plotline or the excitement of seeing stuff from their video games in book form?

You're going to have to eventually realize that neither you or I are in the target audience for who Viz wants to sell these books to. What we want makes absolutely no difference to them, no matter how many plot holes, copypasted emails, thin excuses and whatever else gets thrown into the debate. The only money that's green to Viz is that of kids who might be too young to have even played or known about Ruby and Sapphire in the first place.

You vastly underestimate the target audience. Do you honestly believe that kid fans are unwilling to look into a series' history even to that minimal degree?

And another thing, do you think that it's only the older fans contacting them? Do you truly believe that no one in the target audience would ever care to do so? If so, I wonder if you really talk to kids. You sound like an old codger.

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games

You do know that kids won't complain so fast about this since most of them don't even know about the existence of the other arcs. Plus knowing how money centered Viz is they probably will listen to our complains if we complain enough, since we're a part of the people who buy their manga. They get their money, because of the fans and there a lot of pokespecial fans that are our age who would love to buy the remaining arcs. It'll be a good reason to release RS, FRLG and the Emerald arc. Target audience isn't always the most important thing.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
The only money that's green to Viz is that of kids who might be too young to have even played or known about Ruby and Sapphire in the first place.
I wouldn't be so sure about that -- I think any money whatsoever would be green to Viz.

RS is connected to FR/LG, and RS and FR/LG both are connected to Emerald. And I do -- it would be more work, when they could just get by with only releasing RS. It's the exact same reason why they are stopping the older arc releases at GSC, even though all the arcs after it are connected to it.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
You vastly underestimate the target audience. Do you honestly believe that kid fans are unwilling to look into a series' history even to that minimal degree?

What reason would they have to do so? Until Sird shows up at the end of DP, there's absolutely nothing that would indicate to someone not already aware of the skipped arcs that anything was there in the first place.

It's not that they're unwilling, it's that they have no reason to care.

And another thing, do you think that it's only the older fans contacting them? Do you truly believe that no one in the target audience would ever care to do so?

If anyone in that very young target age group actually 1) cares enough to look up the entire history of Pokemon Adventures (which, keep in mind, Viz decided to remove Black and White from, so it's not like Viz wants people to even know what that IS), then 2) find out there were three skipped arcs and 3) email the company to complain, they are such a remote minority that catering to them is a money-losing affair.

If so, I wonder if you really talk to kids. You sound like an old codger.

That's a good joke, you should write it down.

...wait, was I supposed to be insulted?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
What reason would they have to do so? Until Sird shows up at the end of DP, there's absolutely nothing that would indicate to someone not already aware of the skipped arcs that anything was there in the first place.

[img139]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5223/37828626.png[/img139]

O hai. What have we here?