• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bad!fics, your thoughts?

gorgonfish

ribbit-ribbit
Also reviews =/= praise. It only makes sense that the longer the fic is, the more room for error. So chances are a number of those reviews come from readers who are striving to help the writer improve for the writer's sake, and not necessarily because they like the story. It's not like you click a link to a story for the first time with the assumption you're going to like everything you look at after all. There's always a chance that a story might have 20+ reviews, all of which are critiques on what can be fixed/better.
I think a lot of people who only read on ffnet see the number of reviews as the same thing as likes on facebook. They see a high review count and think 'wow, that must mean all those people liked this story' when it really just means that the story is good at gaining positive and/or negative attention either by an author knowing how to play the system or through sheer luck. I'm relatively new here, but I guess the equivalent would be page number. The rule about reviews addressing something specific to the fic and not just regurgitating ffnet catchphrases seems like it helps detract from 'spam popularity' or whatever you want to call it.

When it comes to fics, I don't really pay much attention to grammar or spelling unless they disrupt the flow of the story (I stopped reading something once because the author always used the number 1 in place of the word I for no reason, and had been doing it for years looking at their other stories). Most of the time I can fix minor hiccups in the mechanics of a story in my head and just keep reading. If a story has an interesting premise and characters that act realistically, or unrealistically for comedic effect, in a given situation I tend to give the first few chapters a chance and if at the end of that trial period I want to continue reading, I do. A good plot is important in hooking readers, but if you give me interesting quirky characters, I'll put the hook in myself and be reeled through the story without any resistance.

Personally, bad!fics aren't the genres or 'waves of fandom' that I happen to dislike. Every year or so when a new Pokemon game comes out and a fresh batch pop up, they aren't 'badfics' in my mind, just boring. Same with another fandom I read, Harry Potter, where for some reason people love the concept of canon characters reading the books that they come from and commenting on the excerpts. I don't like that device even when it's backed up by good prose, but it isn't automatically a badfic. My idea of a bad!fic is when the author has no vision or plan for what they want to do with their story. They see someone else doing something that becomes a bit popular and decide to jump on the bandwagon. They rush out content at an insane pace just to stay relevant and pick up attention, it's all about people noticing them. They bend to the will of their readership out of fear of losing them or lack of faith in their own storytelling which ultimately ruins the story or twists it into the author being a slave to the readers' wish fulfillment. The author doesn't care about the story as much as they care what readers think or how popular something will make them. Those are what I think make for bad!fics.

Last edited:
Alright, let's go way back. To something I wrote.

The longer a fic is the better it is written, generally speaking

Uhh yeah. Who doesn't read what other's have to say? Really, there are bad long fics, there are good short fics. You just seem to enjoy defending the smaller fics.

Moreover, if you look at some of those reviews, they're usually one-liners

Yes they are one liners,but have you ever stopped to think why there are over 1,000 reviews for them? No? Thought so.

Yeah, except for the fact that we're not talking about populations but instead whether or not people can spot quality fanfiction.

Ever heard of analogies? No? Google is your friend.

And yes, the largest database for fanfiction is a terrible example because the rest of the internet has mutually agreed that it's a pit of voles.

Cool. So as I mentioned, Africa, Asia, and South America don't count because they are bad? It is the largest database. It is the best representation of Fanfic.

Well, according to you, yes. Sure, let's forget about the short fics that are intelligent and funny because they're short. Surely there's nothing redeeming whatsoever about short fics. Except, y'know, the list of traits you mentioned that have nothing to do with length.

Do me a favour and read the initial discussion on that point.

Because grammar and character depth totally has something to do with the number of one-liner reviews you've received that praised your work in badly-written English, amirite?

Why do reviews happen? A reader likes what he or she reads. In their opinion it is good. So if a thousand people like something does that mean it's bad? Well, sure it could be. In your opinion.

As the fic goes on, it'll pick up more fans. At one point one of them is going to get a beta. That solves the problem of grammar and punctuation. Character depth and crap can be helped by the beta. It won't be he best there is but, it will be better than those one chapter abandoned fics.

And, well, also the obvious. But considering this is what I was saying from the beginning, I guess this means you agree with me, which in turn makes this entire debate pointless?

Maybe I'm talking about your heavy lean to smaller fics?

Respond in an intelligent, well-thought-out manner that doesn't either contradict yourself or imply that all you're doing is sticking your fingers in your ears whenever I bring up a point.

The contradictions arise from you not doing your part, by reading what I have to say?

I mean, really, all this arguing about quantity is basically failing to address what I said earlier: that quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality.

You just tend to associate quality with shorter fics more. That was the start of it for me.

And yes, the most-reviewed fic on FFNet at one time did have terrible grammar that was pointed out, but he shrugged it off for one reason or another.

As gorgonfish said,

A really horrible fic that updates frequently and has a large wordcount just might be attracting trolls and flamers.

Ever considered that?

Then, what about fics like My Immortal, a lengthy fic which amassed tons of reviews (and repostings with hundreds of reviews of their own) that contained negative feedback or accused the author of trolling (which they probably were, but that's beside the point considering there were people who took it seriously)? Is My Immortal automatically a good fic, just because it's got ~numbers~? What about some of the most popular fics in this fandom (like CoriFalls's work) that are only popular because people hated them?

Outliers (sorry for my ignorance but, who the heck is CoriFalls?)

Seriously, if you don't want to read my post, don't engage in a debate with me. If you misread what I had to say, then just admit it and move on instead of making yourself look rather silly attempting to argue me into the ground over a point I wasn't even making in the first place.

And I guess you should read what I have to say carefully too? Sure, you weren't directly making the point that small fics are better than longer ones, but your post had a heavy lean towards them, hence, my comment.

The reason longer fics on Ffnet have more reviews has nothing to do with them being 'better'. Ffnet, or any forum for that matter, puts the most recently updated story/thread at the top of the list so people browsing can see them. A random person looking for something to read is more likely to click on that recently updated story than search through pages and pages to find a oneshot story to review. 100k+ stories generally update over a longer period of time allowing for them to rise and fall on the list of fanfics, bringing back old readers by email alerts and catching new readers by hitting the top of the list. An amazing oneshot story only has a small window of time to be seen before it drowns in obscurity. Review numbers themselves don't show whether a fic is good or not, so I don't really think using that to say 'the longer the better' works. A really horrible fic that updates frequently and has a large wordcount just might be attracting trolls and flamers.

You raise a good point. The smaller fics certainty don't get as much attention. Yes, there must be a few good ones we missed, but what about all those crappy ones?

You do realize that the fic in question was a parody of bad fic and bad fic clichés and is in fact the most popular, most acclaimed, and best-written fic that does this. Even while taking into consideration the parodies written by Farla, FFNet's most notorious reviewer... right? In short, you're shrugging off a how-to guide and one-shot compilation by one of the most popular writers on the website. Sooooo... I guess this means you're not only judging a book by its cover via refusing to touch it for superficial reasons but also contradicting yourself again by failing to take into consideration the number of reviews it received for a fic of its kind? (As a note, no, I don't like this fic because it's popular. I like it because it has a few points here or there.)

You do realise the existence of such thin's as opinions? You do don't you? Hell, unlike the other crap I said, this is not debatable. I never even shrugged it off, learn to read. All I said was it has a small word count, so that leads to me hating the damn thing? Your logic needs working, read before leaping to conclusions, it'll save you a mouthful of wasted words.

Last edited:

gorgonfish

ribbit-ribbit
You raise a good point. The smaller fics certainty don't get as much attention. Yes, there must be a few good ones we missed, but what about all those crappy ones?
What about the crappy ones? From what I've seen on FFnet and fanfic communities in general, the chance of a oneshot being crap is the same as a chapter fic being crap, just like the chance of a oneshot or chapter fic being mind-bogglingly amazing. I'm not on any side in this short/long debate or whatever it is now. If something is good, it's good. If it's bad, it's bad. Deciding which of those two it falls in is subjective and different for each person.

What about the crappy ones?

It's just that in my experience most of the small fics I come across are crappy. I mean, amongst smaller fics they really do bring down their reputation, just look at all those abandoned fics, their all short and bad. It could just be because there aren't as many long ones, so they aren't many bad long ones.

Ememew

Emerald Mew
It's just that in my experience most of the small fics I come across are crappy. I mean, amongst smaller fics they really do bring down their reputation, just look at all those abandoned fics, their all short and bad. It could just be because there aren't as many long ones, so they aren't many bad long ones.

Just to be clear here, are we talking about "short fics" - stories intended to be shorter and say as much as they can in as few words as possible - or "abandoned fics" - stories that were intended to be longer but the author lost interest partway in? Because, yeah, the quality is going to be different depending on whether the person thought through their idea and decided they could do it in a small space or if they wanted to have a longer story but never had the motivation to continue. If the story ended before being able to clear up a point they wanted to expand on but didn't get around to doing so, that point will thus remain confusing.

EDIT: Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying fics that stopped before they were finished are all bad, either. I'm just wondering if people might be confusing stories intended to be short, stories dropped because the person lost interest that didn't have the opportunity to fill all the gaps, and bad stories dropped before they were done for the same thing.

EDIT EDIT: On the topic of "number of reviews": I know I personally don't read nearly as many fics as I probably should, and probably review even less, but when I do leave a review it isn't necessarily to say "great fic." I usually only post when I think there's something I can add to the conversation (this thing in particular was done well, good job; this thing here doesn't work well; here's an error I spotted, etc.). The number of reviews =/= the number of people who like a story. I've enjoyed stories but not left a comment because either I couldn't think of something to say that someone else hadn't mentioned already or because I was just too busy with something else to comment and ended up forgetting to (likewise with stories I didn't like). I've also responded to stories to point out errors in hopes of helping the author improve. Short version: the fics I review are not all inclusive of all the fics I enjoy, nor are the fics I review and the ones I dislike mutually exclusive. I would assume that this would also be true of others, thus making number of reviews not a direct correlation with the quality of a story.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Uhh yeah. Who doesn't read what other's have to say? Really, there are bad long fics, there are good short fics. You just seem to enjoy defending the smaller fics.

*Face. Palm.* I read what you said. "Generally" = generalization = "most fics are this way." What I was saying = "I wouldn't say most are that way, but anyway, let's talk about why we should be looking at both because, y'know, there's terrible bits in both types of work, so it clearly doesn't matter as much as other things."

At this point, I'm going to assume you're looking for a fight because right now you're putting words in my mouth and arguing again over something I never said in the first place.

Yes they are one liners,but have you ever stopped to think why there are over 1,000 reviews for them? No? Thought so.

Yay insulting people's intelligences! That's a mature way to go about a debate!

No, but really, I have... and I even said why in my last post. It's not my fault you'd rather pick out little bits and pieces of what I have to say because you want to prove that I'm an idiot for some reason. :/

Ever heard of analogies? No? Google is your friend.

Aaaaaand reported! :D Yay!

Cool. So as I mentioned, Africa, Asia, and South America don't count because they are bad? It is the largest database. It is the best representation of Fanfic.

No, it doesn't, but because I've already said why and because you keep missing important parts of what I have to say, I'm going to just leave it at that. Hey, it's practically what you did for all those ~numbers~ bits.

Do me a favour and read the initial discussion on that point.

Do me a favor and read the initial post you're trying to argue against here.

Why do reviews happen? A reader likes what he or she reads.

Wow. Now I get it. You're an FFNet fanboy, like one of those guys who goes around and submits one-liner reviews to random fics.

Seriously, on FFNet where everyone pats each other on the back and where the people who don't are automatically EVIL OMG (y'know, like Farla), yes. However, in most other writing communities (of which there are plenty), reviews are to give writers feedback. Reviews aren't meant to pat a writer on the head, tell them good job, and be on your merry way. They're to be honest because reviewers are the best means of figuring out how you stand as a writer. As such, there's such a thing as "concrit," wherein readers tell writers what they didn't like about a fic (in varying degrees of politeness) so that they might try to improve. That's what being a critic online is all about.

Now, I'm not saying every review has to be negative on some level -- just that reviews aren't exclusively positive. Hell, this is even actually true on FFNet, where on occasion, you do get competent reviewers who have the balls to tell you what you did and didn't do wrong. (Farla is an extreme example. There's plenty of more polite reviewers out there.)

That being said, yes, it's entirely possible for a review to be negative towards a work (as gorgonfish said), and it's possible for a story to amass a lot of intelligent, serious negative reviews, even on FFNet. Just because you get a review doesn't necessarily mean that's an automatic positive.

In fact, I'd hate to say it, but that's the mentality a lot of newbies to FFNet have. (To compare, I've been there since 2001 in one way or another, so no, I don't consider myself a newbie.) They automatically assume that fics with huge numbers of reviews are popular for all the good reasons, so they go into it biased and believing that the fic can only be good. That's why, as gorgon said, most writers on FFNet try their hardest to cultivate a large number of reviews: because new readers flock to fics that have huge numbers of reviews, regardless of what those reviews actually say.

Character depth and crap can be helped by the beta.

Not if they're entirely unworkable. If you have issues with grammar and spelling, yes, those are easy to clean up. However, if your issue is the fact that chapters one through five are terrible because the battles that take place within them make no sense, the characters are completely OOC, and so forth, the only thing you can do is completely rewrite those chapters, and doing a complete rewrite of chapters -- especially at the beginning of a fic -- could lead to a massive overhaul of an entire fanfic. That's not something a beta can help you with because betas tend to work on a chapter-by-chapter basis. Sure, they can help you with overarching ideas and whatnot, but they don't normally go back to chapter six when you've published up to chapter eighteen and tell you, "You need to scrap this entire beginning half." Once it's published, it's in the reviewer's hands.

Can I ask you something, actually? How much experience writing fanfiction do you actually have? This is a legit question and not one that's meant to insult you. I ask because a lot of the assumptions you're making are things you'll learn aren't true the more you write and experience different writing communities. For example, that entire bit about reviews being only for fics you like. You'll find, by posting your work (even on FFNet) that that just isn't true. However, that's an assumption a reviewer on FFNet can easily make, especially if most of what they do is submit brief, all-praise reviews and don't bother reading a lot of reviews other people leave.

Maybe I'm talking about your heavy lean to smaller fics?

What lean? You mean the one that I had in response to gotpika's heavy lean towards long fics and the one that I followed up with by saying, "So really, you can't say that long fics are better than short fics because both have equal chances of being both bad and good?" Y'know, which was the entire point of my first post?

Of course, that's probably going to be pointless to say because instead of wanting to listen to me, you'd rather just put words in my mouth and decide what I actually mean for me. Because that's a classy way to hold a debate.

In other words, that lean that got you so worked up was a counter to someone else's lean. By bringing up the point that the opposition (long fics in this case) has an equal chance of being bad and then using that idea to introduce the point that length doesn't necessarily matter. Which you later said was stating the obvious, so I feel like we're just going around in circles here.

The contradictions arise from you not doing your part, by reading what I have to say?

I don't really find much of a point in arguing against you when all you're doing is spouting off assumptions and raging about something that wasn't even said. I mean, right now, you're doing the equivalent of insisting that a pink elephant is standing in the room.

You just tend to associate quality with shorter fics more. That was the start of it for me.

...Actually, I'm inclined to think you haven't really read either of the first two posts. Otherwise, you'd realize you've got it hilariously backwards.

Ever considered that?

Yes... except the fic I was talking about was actually one of the more popular (because people actually liked it) fics. Y'know. A Little Night Music.

Outliers (sorry for my ignorance but, who the heck is CoriFalls?)

Uh... you do know that Kutie Pie brought up CoriFalls in her first post, right? Complete with links that explain who she is?

Okay, I'm going to assume for a second that you're from FFNet. Let me introduce you quickly to how writing communities on forums work. First and foremost, even if it's a lengthy thread, pay attention to everything everyone has to say. Don't just barge into a thread and start barking all over the place because you'll miss important details.

Second, you can't just shrug off a debate with one-liners. (Note: I'm talking about the writing forum here. Let's not get into what the actual debate forum does.) In fact, that could be considered flaming at worst, trolling at best, and laughable somewhere in the middle. Most discussion areas will expect you to think carefully about your responses. So doing things like, "lol math doesn't lie" to a carefully worded argument that brings up a lot of examples to the contrary is not going to be received well.

Third, hey, since you're in this particular forum, you might as well read the stickies while you're at it. That should give you some idea of how SPPf works at the very least. At the very most, it'll help you understand how the forum scene in general works.

And I guess you should read what I have to say carefully too?

The problem is I did, but you completely misconstrued my original point. As a result, everything you said after that wasn't even something I brought up, so it's like you're accusing me of being racist just because I said there's a lot of different Thai dishes I don't like. There's a disconnect, and you keep flipping out whenever it's brought up that you're not even discussing the original point anymore.

Sure, you weren't directly making the point that small fics are better than longer ones, but your post had a heavy lean towards them, hence, my comment.

Context is a wonderful and beautiful thing. Removing posts and arguments from it lead to many an assumption that is, quite frankly, incorrect.

You do realise the existence of such thin's as opinions?

Funny you should mention that because you were rather adamant earlier about me not having my own. I mean, it's rather odd that you'd go on and on about how I'm biased and stupid and incorrect about what I think is a good or bad fic according to my opinion (which was highlighted with words like "subjective" and "in my opinion") but then turn around and say that I don't understand what opinions are.

I never even shrugged it off, learn to read. All I said was it has a small word count, so that leads to me hating the damn thing?

Actually, you kind of did when you brought up the fact that:

1. It's the only long fic on my favorites.
2. Its chapters are extremely short -- considering the context in which you were telling me that longer fics are better than shorter ones.

Aaaanyway, yeah, because most of that was basically a series of personal and unnecessary attacks... yeah. Speaking as someone who genuinely wants to give you a heads up here, you'll probably want to step down at the moment because the mods here tend to be stricter than on FFNet, and you didn't have to introduce yourself by asking me if I was abused by fanfiction as a child. Then again, I also don't have to reply to you, so if your next response is just as insulting as this one (i.e., implying that I can't read, questioning my ability to read, belittling me and patronizing me), then I really don't see how we can continue to have a good ol' fashioned discussion here. I mean, this post was skirting it as it is, what with you deciding that it's more important to belittle me than to discuss my points directly (which, incidentally, I'm taking as meaning you just couldn't counter what I had to say). Geez, for someone who had to end a post with the old "haven't you heard of opinions" trick, you sure are adamantly against people who don't agree with you.

Edit, to Kutie Kitten Pie: That's because all of you are my harem. All of you.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

Refer here to Sturgeon's Law, where 90% of everything is crud. You probably just aren't looking hard enough (the toggle drop-down thingies on the top of the page are your friends), because there is lovely cheesecake floating around FFN. The search is long and tedious, but the find is worth it.

And not all abandoned fics are bad. Sure, writers may abandon fics due to poor reception or whatnot, but it doesn't always mean that's what happened. The writer probably moved on to something else in interest, their inspiration is gone, or life got in the way. These things happen.

And yes, there are long bad stories that have been abandoned. Case in point: My Immortal. Same with some of Cori Falls' stories.

EDIT: Oh, and Jax, you called me katiekitten XD.

EDIT EDIT: D8

Last edited:
Well, since you want to wrap everything up, I'll try.

I read what you said. "Generally" = generalization = "most fics are this way."

So, all the contradictions you pointed out, heavily relied on the idea that I considered length to be more important than quality? I was generally speaking so those contradictions were wasted words.

Yay insulting people's intelligences! That's a mature way to go about a debate!

Insult? You're the one who seems to be doing the insulting, "Muhahaha, look at me I'm so high and mighty because I don't read the crap those 1,000 people do."

Aaaaaand reported! Yay!

I just don't know what to say to this. Uhhhh... Thanks, I guess.

No, it doesn't, but because I've already said why and because you keep missing important parts of what I have to say, I'm going to just leave it at that. Hey, it's practically what you did for all those ~numbers~ bits.

Just because it's a pit of voles isn't going to cut it. As I mentioned, when talking of fanfics or when talking of people, it's best to refer to them as a whole. The whole happens to be FFNet. You believe that I should use, I don't know, some forum or anything which isn't FFNet. This kind of behaviour is quite transparent, you want me to use something which will favour you more.

Do me a favor and read the initial post you're trying to argue against here.

I shall present to you a script of what happened (exact words are used),

Me: In all honesty, those kind of fics, are the most common. Check any fandom (except the intelligent ones like EVE) and most of the fics will be of that sort, small and crappy.

You: Well, yeah, but that doesn't mean that one type is better or worse than another.

Me: Cool. So being stupid and crappy puts you at the same level as being smart and funny?

You: Well, according to you, yes. Sure, let's forget about the short fics that are intelligent and funny because they're short. Surely there's nothing redeeming whatsoever about short fics. Except, y'know, the list of traits you mentioned that have nothing to do with length.

Me: Do me a favour and read the initial discussion on that point.

You: Do me a favor and read the initial post you're trying to argue against here.

Ad Infinitum.

Wow. Now I get it. You're an FFNet fanboy, like one of those guys who goes around and submits one-liner reviews to random fics.

Far from it. I may have only given 14 reviews (not including the ones that got removed) but, they were all quality reviews. I'm the dude who caused 12 of the fics I reviewed to stop writing (I know I'm doing it wrong), I'm the dude who got at least 3 fics outright removed, and has had his reviews removed a couple of times. I correct their mistakes.

Not if they're entirely unworkable. If you have issues with grammar and spelling, yes, those are easy to clean up. However, if your issue is the fact that chapters one through five are terrible because the battles that take place within them make no sense, the characters are completely OOC, and so forth, the only thing you can do is completely rewrite those chapters, and doing a complete rewrite of chapters -- especially at the beginning of a fic -- could lead to a massive overhaul of an entire fanfic. That's not something a beta can help you with because betas tend to work on a chapter-by-chapter basis. Sure, they can help you with overarching ideas and whatnot, but they don't normally go back to chapter six when you've published up to chapter eighteen and tell you, "You need to scrap this entire beginning half." Once it's published, it's in the reviewer's hands.

You learn from a beta. If you are competent you should be able to do some own stuff on your own. If a fic is indeed that terrible though, it's going to be hard for it to attract a beta in the first place, and get any reviews, so there will be less of a drive for writing, and finally as a result the fic will be abandoned.

How much experience writing fanfiction do you actually have?

Well, fanfiction not so much, like roughly a year? I spent more of my time on Fiction Press, I published a few stories got good reviews,had to drop one because of life, going to restart that after I finish my first proper pokemon fanfic.

What lean? You mean the one that I had in response to gotpika's heavy lean towards long fics and the one that I followed up with by saying, "So really, you can't say that long fics are better than short fics because both have equal chances of being both bad and good?

Cool, so you admit a lean. But, what if you said something different? Something along the lines of,

It's just that I wouldn't say that most of them are like that.

So you say that "So really, you can't say that long fics are better than short fics because both have equal chances of being both bad and good" , then you say that small fics mostly aren't bad? Contradiction.

Uh... you do know that katiekitten brought up CoriFalls in her first post, right? Complete with links that explain who she is?

Alright ignorance on my part, I'll avoid it next time.

Second, you can't just shrug off a debate with one-liners. (Note: I'm talking about the writing forum here. Let's not get into what the actual debate forum does.) In fact, that could be considered flaming at worst, trolling at best, and laughable somewhere in the middle. Most discussion areas will expect you to think carefully about your responses. So doing things like, "lol math doesn't lie" to a carefully worded argument that brings up a lot of examples to the contrary is not going to be received well.

You know what, yeah what I did was wrong. I know that the way I respond most of the time isn't right. Really though, I'm too lazy to go into a crap-load of details, if I can get the point across in one word I'll do it.

The problem is I did, but you completely misconstrued my original point.

Sorry, I seem to have problems with interpretation. I based everything I said off of what I believed you said. Sadly since my brain is but dead-weight, I can't really be accurate. Woe is me.

Context is a wonderful and beautiful thing. Removing posts and arguments from it lead to many an assumption that is, quite frankly, incorrect.

It's funny that you quite literally add and remove points from your posts. I read it once, then again and it's different, one more time, and oh my its different. Seriously, these edits have probably made at least on point of mine null.

Funny you should mention that because you were rather adamant earlier about me not having my own. I mean, it's rather odd that you'd go on and on about how I'm biased and stupid and incorrect about what I think is a good or bad fic according to my opinion (which was highlighted with words like "subjective" and "in my opinion") but then turn around and say that I don't understand what opinions are.

Okay. You don't have an opinion. Then how is it possible for you to have made a post based off your opinion. You have an opinion. Then I come along and share my opinion, whilst doing so I pick at what I believe to be flaws in your opinion. I admit that the part about me ranting opinions is rather stupid but still, "read before leaping to conclusions".

Well, as for the personal attacks on you, I apologise if I struck a nerve. The points are still more focused upon than the insults themselves.

Speaking as someone who genuinely wants to give you a heads up here, you'll probably want to step down at the moment because the mods here tend to be stricter than on FFNet, and you didn't have to introduce yourself by asking me if I was abused by fanfiction as a child

Heh. I'm from Bioware Sociopathy Network, more commonly known as BSN or Bioware Social Network. Over there you get banned for posting an "All the things" picture, but never if you insult anyone straight up. So, I'm sorry if my behaviour doesn't fit in here.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I get the feeling that a lot of the problem here is miscommunication, so allow me to offer up simple, straightforward translations to clear a few things up.

The Original Post You Were Responding To:
"Hey, gotpika, it's not really fair to say most short fics are crappy and that quality has a lot to do with length. There's some really good short ones too! In fact, I have to say there's a lot of long fics I found really boring and a lot of short ones I found really exciting, so it's entirely possible for long fics to be boring and short fics to be great! Of course, since a lot of people like long fics and since it's true that there's crappy short fics, it's not really fair to say that fics are most likely going to be good or bad based on their length. So in my opinion, quality isn't really determined by length but instead by other things within the story. Otherwise, we'd all be able to say that a fic is crappy just because it's long or short, but what about the good fics of either type of length?

"In any case, I personally liked these fics, and they just happened to be short, but I actually liked them for their characters, plot, and all kinds of other things that don't have to do with length. But I've read all kinds of fics because I believe that all fics of any length need to be given a chance and should be judged by its content, so please don't jump to conclusions when I use these examples to explain how qualities I think make up bad fics might show up in longer stories whereas these other examples show you how shorter fics might be able to show traits of good stories. See? All these traits can be completely independent of length! Cool, huh? But I guess the problem here is that no one can agree on what quality content is, so the answer to your question, gotpika, is that it's really, really up to each individual person."

What This Conversation Seems To Think I Said: (Just to make sure I've got everything straight.)
"RAWR I SAID I READ A LOT OF CRAPPY LONG FICS SO I MUST HATE MOST LONG FICS RAAAAAWR."

My Point About FFNet:
"Well, sure, there's a lot of short fics that aren't so great on FFNet, but that's just one community. The problem is that while FFNet is the largest fanfiction archive of its kind, a lot of people post fics to other places, and in the cases of some fandoms, the amount of fanfiction on those other places outnumbers the amount of fanfiction that's put on FFNet. Moreover, in many of these cases, the population on FFNet only represents a small part of the masses who write fanfiction for a particular fandom, so it's not a good idea to base assumptions about all fandoms' fanfiction on what you see on FFNet because in some cases, that risks excluding a large number of fanfics that are actually elsewhere. Pokémon is one of these cases, and since this is a Pokémon forum, I'm just going to point that out. Also, oh Fanfiction.net, you're so silly."

What This Conversation Seems To Think I Said:
"RAWR I REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE NUMBERS."

My Opinion On... Opinions:
"If you don't mind me saying this, you're asking me if I understand opinions, but you got unreasonably upset when you assumed I don't like long fics, despite the fact that that would have been my personal opinion. Even if I didn't, why would that matter? This thread is all about what we personally think results in a bad fic, not about the opinions of one individual person, right? We should stop talking about my opinions and my personal views and start talking about quality and quantity and all the things we were talking about before this conversation, but first, we need to clear up what it is we were talking about in the first place."

What This Conversation Seems To Think I Said:
"I don't have an opinion!" ...I think, anyway.

Soooo... there you have it. It all actually weirdly circles back and pushes the thread back on topic if you think about it -- translating what I had to say in the first place, I mean. My entire point was that the traits I use to identify good fics are pretty independent of length, and the fics I brought up were examples of how good traits and bad traits might appear in the fics gotpika was saying were more likely to be good or bad (i.e., long fics and short fics). It just so happened that a lot of my favorites are shorter than the average tome on FFNet, but that's only by coincidence because I don't actively seek out short fics to read. *le shrug* I mean, a strong character's a strong character, no matter how long the fic they're in is.

To put it in short (and I mean this as a general point to shift the discussion back to where it was earlier, not a response to any specific person), then:

1. Length is too difficult a filter to use for determining whether or not a fic is a good or bad fic. Regardless of how many short fics or long fics are crap, there's still good short and long fics. So we can't just take one look at the word or chapter count and nothing else and decide it's going to be good or bad. That means that other factors must determine whether a fic is good or bad because length by itself doesn't influence an individual fic's quality. Even if you rushed a fic and jammed so much content into a page because you were rushing, that would fall under the category of "amount of care put into the work," not length. After all, there's some rushed fics that are far longer than a well-written drabble, so it's not fair to count out the well-written drabble because it's shorter than the rushed fic. On the other hand, you might have a rushed fic that somehow went on for hundreds of pages despite plot holes and goodness knows what else, but we shouldn't discount the long fic in which the author cared enough to listen to what their reviewers had to say and took a lot of time to craft each chapter because of it.

2. So what is a determining factor of a bad fic? Has to be something else. Maybe bad fics happen when characters are bland, but then what's considered to be bland? Plot's another point, but what's a badly written plot? That's where a lot of the subjectivity comes in. Your interests are not my interests, so the characters you think are deep and well-developed might be characters I think are flat and stereotypical.

3. But personally speaking, I tend to look for these when I want to find fic I like. (And this was just lifted from my first post.)
- A well-built and somewhat original plot (Is your fic another new trainer fic without any variation? That's not considered "somewhat original," then.)
- Multidimensional characterization (natural-sounding dialogue is grouped in here)
- Great pacing
- Interesting scenes
- A dash of vivid imagery.
(So naturally, a bad fic would contain one or more of the opposite of these traits.)

If that clears anything up, cool. If you need quotes to point out where I said what I've mentioned in this post, that's cool too. Otherwise, ignoring personal remarks, I accept your apology.

Dragonfree

Just me
You two seem to have pretty much settled this civilly so I'll let this stand, but yeah, Infiltrat0rN7, for future reference, we're not too keen on this sarcastic, condescending sort of "Ever thought about that? Didn't think so" attitude here, as it's inappropriately hostile and flamebaity. Please try to tone it down.

Also, I can't resist:

But in your analogy, what you were trying to do in the first place was counting all the inhabitants of the world, not picking a representative sample from the world. Of course it's ridiculous to exclude certain areas if you want to get a total count of something - but it's not at all ridiculous to argue that a sample isn't representative and that a better one should be picked for an accurate, representative analysis of whatever. JX Valentine was arguing not that FF.Net doesn't count, but that it is not representative of all fanfiction communities - like if you had tried to argue about the world in general using China as a sample population. China may be big, and in fact the most populous country on Earth, but if all your data comes from China, you may be missing vitally important things when you try to extrapolate it onto the world as a whole. In this case, she pointed out that a lot of good short fiction happens to be posted in other communities that aren't as saturated with newbie writers, and by looking purely at FanFiction.Net you may get a skewed image of the overall quality.

The most glaring flaw in your whole argument that reviews translate to fic quality, even aside from gorgonfish's point about how long fics get more exposure, is that on FanFiction.Net, each reader can review each chapter once. In an extreme case, a fic with 100 chapters can have 300 reviews even if only three people in the world are reading it if those three people each comment on every chapter, while a one-shot that only three people read can never have more than three reviews. Even under the (very flawed) assumption that the number of people who feel the need to review is in direct proportion to the quality of the fic, you would need to divide the review count by the number of installments to be able to compare them.

All that said, I actually wouldn't be surprised if there really are more bad short fics proportionally than bad long ones, simply because there are common brands of bad that are short almost by their very nature, while most other brands of bad don't skew especially towards being very long. A lot of kids who are just starting out writing, for instance, write stories like summaries, explaining what happened without fleshing it out, and those are almost always short because the storytelling format is so condensed - the main character will have woken up on his tenth birthday, gone to the professor, gotten his starter Pokémon and headed out on his Pokémon journey in the space of the first paragraph. Similarly, many beginners on forums like this one type their fics into the reply box in one sitting, which leads the chapters to both be rushed, poorly thought-out, non-spellchecked and short.

I guess bland trainer fics full of filler could in theory skew towards long (specifically, longer than better and less filler-ridden trainer fics), except that most of them get abandoned only a couple of chapters in, so I doubt it actually works out that way in practice too often. Really pretentious, purple-prose-laden fics are probably the likeliest candidate for badness correlating directly with longness, but those aren't nearly as common as the summarized or typed-in-the-reply-box types. As I touched on in my first post, however, I think remarkably bad fics actually skew towards long, even if bad fics in general are more often short, because the short and bad type is usually just forgettably bad, not epically awful.

But ultimately the real point here that I think everyone can agree on is that whatever correlation there might be between quality and quantity, it's very loose, and there are plenty of good and bad examples of both. There's no ideal fic or chapter length; as long as the chapter or fic does its job well while not dragging on unnecessarily, it's of the right length to do what it wants to be doing, and that's what matters.

Last edited:
Sorry, if I behaved in a bad way but as I said, the forums I'm from, has pretty lax mods when it comes to insults. Old habits die hard, but that isn't to say they absolutely won't.

But in your analogy, what you were trying to do in the first place was counting all the inhabitants of the world, not picking a representative sample from the world. Of course it's ridiculous to exclude certain areas if you want to get a total count of something - but it's not at all ridiculous to argue that a sample isn't representative and that a better one should be picked for an accurate, representative analysis of whatever. JX Valentine was arguing not that FF.Net doesn't count, but that it is not representative of all fanfiction communities - like if you had tried to argue about the world in general using China as a sample population. China may be big, and in fact the most populous country on Earth, but if all your data comes from China, you may be missing vitally important things when you try to extrapolate it onto the world as a whole. In this case, she pointed out that a lot of good short fiction happens to be posted in other communities that aren't as saturated with newbie writers, and by looking purely at FanFiction.Net you may get a skewed image of the overall quality.

Well, let me put it the way I think of it:

FFNet is the largest database for fanfictions in the world. It has the most people reading fics on it at any given time. Now, here comes an author, s/he posted their first fic on a forum. They end up getting small amounts of exposure. Then said author realises that most fics on FFNet get more exposure. So, naturally s/he would want to post their fic their. Time for some examples, Anima Ex Machina is on FFNet, serebii, and at one point it was on PC. The Quest for the Legends, same deal. Forsaken, same thing once more. So really, I believe that most authors post their work on FFNet for the exposure they can get from there. It makes them proud of their work when they see it on Tv Tropes, as a result of the exposure they gained by posting on various sites. Furthermore, if most of all fics are present on FFNet why should it be ignored in favour of smaller communities. In other words FFNet is in my opinion as good as it gets for an example of fanfics as a whole.

The most glaring flaw in your whole argument that reviews translate to fic quality, even aside from gorgonfish's point about how long fics get more exposure, is that on FanFiction.Net, each reader can review each chapter once. In an extreme case, a fic with 100 chapters can have 300 reviews even if only three people in the world are reading it if those three people each comment on every chapter, while a one-shot that only three people read can never have more than three reviews. Even under the (very flawed) assumption that the number of people who feel the need to review is in direct proportion to the quality of the fic, you would need to divide the review count by the number of installments to be able to compare them.

Yes, you mentioned extreme situations, but it isn't entirely unreasonable to base opinions of reviews is it? They should be able to give some sort of indication albeit, a rough indication. Anyway, would the number of favourites be different though in the case of determining the quality of a long fic? You can only favourite a fic once, so it can't be that a few people make different accounts to favourite their story?

All that said, I actually wouldn't be surprised if there really are more bad short fics proportionally than bad long ones, simply because there are common brands of bad that are short almost by their very nature, while most other brands of bad don't skew especially towards being very long. A lot of kids who are just starting out writing, for instance, write stories like summaries, explaining what happened without fleshing it out, and those are almost always short because the storytelling format is so condensed - the main character will have woken up on his tenth birthday, gone to the professor, gotten his starter Pokémon and headed out on his Pokémon journey in the space of the first paragraph. Similarly, many beginners on forums like this one type their fics into the reply box in one sitting, which leads the chapters to both be rushed, poorly thought-out, non-spellchecked and short.

That's the idea I meant to get across, but failed miserably at! XD

If that clears anything up, cool. If you need quotes to point out where I said what I've mentioned in this post, that's cool too. Otherwise, ignoring personal remarks, I accept your apology.

Well, I guess there was miscommunication on my part, because I'm the only person who didn't get what your saying.