• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bad/Weird Habits While You Play?

PsychicPsycho

-I hardly ever have the volume on while playing. There's been times I've accidently turned the volume on a little, then was like 'what the heck is that noise?' before figuring out what happened.
-I obsess over legendary natures and IVs, then never train them after I catch them. Now I hardly catch them.
-I use Amulet Coin/Luck Incense all the time. On my Black 2, I'll use the Prize Money Power 3, too, even though I've got over 5,000,000 P.
-I try to not to use the same pokemon twice in my various playthroughs
-Also try not to duplicate attacks or pokemon types among my playthrough team
-I send out the pokemon requiring the most experience first, sometimes to a battle in which they'd have a type disadvantage
One of my Staple team members must always know fly and one must always know surf before these are usually essential to play the game.
I do this as well.
I always save twice. Well, not always. Often times I look away while it's saving and when I look back I don't see "Michael saved the game," so I have to do it again just to be sure.

Up until recently, I would plan out my team of six for the playthrough before I even got the game. Now I just kinda make things up as I go. Seems a bit more fun that way actually.

I save before every big battle (Elite Four, bad team bosses, etc). And if I lose, I turn off. It never occurred to me that the small loss of money was likely worth the experience I gained from beating one or two of their Pokemon until about a year ago, but by that time I was better about trianing and never lost. I still save before though.
I do all of these. In regards to saving, I'm glad the 5th gen games added a thing that says when your last save was. And I'll save before almost every battle.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Oh, I got a lot of (bad) habits.
  • First game, always take the Water Starter
  • Always have a Flyer and Electric type in my main games team
  • Pressing 'A' button every time the pokéball moves
  • Second game is female character
  • Pokémon has to be male on my first game, unless the Pokémon fits to be a girl.
  • On my second game, Pokémon has to be female, unless the Pokémon fits to be male
  • I tend to get carried along with my games as in: shouting the attack names, or that my Pokémon has to wake up / cut out of confusion.
  • Never nicknamed my Pokémon, untill now in my Black 2 Game since I'm not good at choosing names.
That is pretty much it. Can't think of anything more atm.

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
One rule I have is that I always pick the orange starter because I like that colour. So I actually tend to be a fire starter owner, which is somewhat ironic considering that their popularity often annoys me. Mudkip was the only non fire type starter I owned because it has orange gills. One thing I also do with starters is I tend to overlevel my starter, a lot in part due to my leaving my starter in the first spot in my party. The one that comes out first always gets a cut of the experience, their battle or not. I'm starting to try to avert this, beginning with not keeping my starter permanently in first spot.

Another big thing for me is that I tend to get attached to things that happen early in the game. This affects me from not evolving pokémon, to using near-first catches, to keeping old moves for a really long time. I didn't make my swampert forget water gun until I was forced to by getting beat at the Pokémon League repeatedly. Pretty much I'm the last guy to dump a party member for dragonite or something like that. The closest I've come is keeping a dratini I caught in my party for my surfer, and never evolving it.

I also have a few battle quirks. One of them is that every team I have has someone that sports the move sing and bide, ever since my first game where I taught my charizard bide from Brock, and used a singing clefable. My kricketune in Diamond is now the torch-bearer that carries them both, which can be awkward due to her fragility, but I still keep the moves because I'm a tradition-keeper like that. I've also found I'm quite fond of battle mischief. While it would be possible for my staraptor to defeat NPC opponents just by pressing attack, I tend to prefer to let the opponents attack, then laugh when they're punished with endeavour. I actually was quite irritated when I found that gyms force high-powered moves as finishers by using items whenever weak finishes are attempted. I want to cherry tap, dammit!

So yeah, I guess you'd say I'm pretty different from your regular pokémon trainer.

Ditto B1tch

I have also the weird habit of not using Rare Candies because they are limited. However, I could use on Pokemons at Level 95-99.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I have also the weird habit of not using Rare Candies because they are limited. However, I could use on Pokemons at Level 95-99.

With the introduction of things like Audino and the free Lucky Egg, I don't even use Rare Candies anymore. Nowadays, I just sell them to the item maniac on Route 5 for a good 10000 P.

Gosh, it's been too long

And for an out of world example...

I pace WAY too much while having a fight. I'll act out some of the moves too... Gosh, I'm so weird. XD

I do the same.

Others:
After every Gym Battle, EVERY Pokemon I have has to grind until they're the highest level Pokemon I have, even if it wasn't in my party. (After I beat Blaine, I got everyone to level 50 b/c of Articuno).
I usually don't nickname, except on my Nuzlockes.
When I was younger (RSE), I'd save after every item, every trainer battle, every evolution, every level up, every move learn (Imagine: find a Rare Candy, use it, it evolves, find a Moon Stone, use it, then TMXX: 6 saves).
It was also during this time that I found out I had a "psychic connection" with my Pokemon. I would concentrate really hard to prevent Confusion damage or to grant a Crit. I kinda do that now, but not as badly.
I imagine the battles a lot now...
When I did my Yellow, once I named myself ASH. Then I went and got all my Pokemon (even the ones I didn't use) and nicknamed them ASH. Then I had to go and rename them.
One time in RSE, I sorted my Pokemon in my boxes by level, and I'd make my party the 6 strongest that had a type advantage over the next Gym. I once had a LV14 Aron to fight Tate&Liza.
I used not to use my music a lot. Now I almost instantly pop my earbuds into my ears. I refuse to do a boss fight w/o 'em; I was so dejected when I beat Steven and didn't hear his music.
When we played the TCG (but not by TCG rules, just like, the attacks and whatnot), I'd make us act out the moves and stuff. Like, Oddish was squatting with handleaves.

I think that's it...

I used to waste all my money on Normal PokeBalls and heal items, even if I didn't need them.
Then I started buy all those Balls in 10's (Premier Balls, yeah!)
Now I don't buy anything until the e4

That should be it...

I use pokeballs that represent the pokemon like dive ball on a male frillish and a heal ball on a female frillish

asdfDAN

I never use any of my rare-candies. I don't know why though, I've considered them a treasure ever since Platinum.

Plus since I'm a very paranoid person I usually save my game every 1-2 minutes even if I didn't do anything.

Zecaomes

Hey Scotty,Jesus Man
I never catch any HM Slave until I have all 6 members of my tem alredy. Otherwise, I'd just feel bad for the Pokémon and would incorporate it in my team.

ToeyJoey

The Count
I do like to have more than one Pokemon if it can evolve and evolve one while keeping the other un-evolved. EX:I would catch two Numels and evolve one into Camerupt while keeping the other Numel the same. Recently, I caught three Hoppips, evolved one to Skiploom, and evolved one into Jumpluff.

I do this too but I've never thought of it as habit, just a feeling of true completeness. My habit would be never using items that are destroyed after use, eg. Potions, Escape Ropes, etcetera.

Bluemiracle

Biologist
I never use any of my rare-candies. I don't know why though, I've considered them a treasure ever since Platinum.

Plus since I'm a very paranoid person I usually save my game every 1-2 minutes even if I didn't do anything.

I dont use Rare Candies either :) I just collect them

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
-No matter what, I always capture a legendary pokémon with a pokéball.
-I still do the A/B/Y/X "cheat" when capturing a pokémon.
-At least three pokémon that I use in-game, I use in competitive battling.
-Freak out during battle, weather I'm winning or losing.

Last edited:

pokemonranger7098

Eevee Master
-I talk to myself during stressful battles
-I sometimes turn down the volume when I throw a pokeball to make it seem dramatic, then turn it back up after it works/fails
-I save 3-8 times when I go to turn off my game (Started in Pearl when I saved after moving around some pokemon and it only said "saving..." I re-saved, just to be sure, and it said "saving a lot of data...")
-If I get a rare candy, I use it immediately on my starter

I'll edit if I think of more!

Canto

I still, for some reason, hold down A when trying to catch a Pokémon. Old habits die hard I suppose.

Spudnugget1

who wants to sing
I never really thought of my habits as bad or weird. Maybe just unstoppable playing norms, considering most people do the same or similar thing.

- Per example, I always pick the Grass starter on the first save, which is usually the main save unless I'm replaying a Gen III game.

- I always mash the A button when using the Poke Ball, even if it does absolutely nothing.

- Unless I'm replaying a Gen III game, I typically don't listen to the actual game music. I know Gen V has a great OST and all that, but a lot of it is centralized in the story, so you won't hear most of it in the post-game. With that in mind, the meta-game is virtually unplayable without iTunes or something helpful like that. Listen to enough of the game, and you'll go insane.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I don't use rare candies, but for me that's mostly because I've been under the impression that they give no effort values (is that a correct one?). That or I forget about them.

One of my Staple team members must always know fly and one must always know surf before these are usually essential to play the game.
I'm not quite like this, but I do always have a flyer as part of my team, and usually a surfer. I also always had a cutter in my team until Diamond. It's pretty rare for me to have a rock smasher or strength-bearer in my team, likely because throwing two onto one means more pokémon have free move slots, but that majorly cripples the user's fighting ability, what with rock smash's weak attack power. That's also part of the reason why I stopped putting cut on a fighter.

Listen to enough of the game, and you'll go insane.
At least if you're stuck listening to the bicycle music, I can tell you that much. That reminds me of another habit of mine, immediately riding a bicycle over area lines to turn that bike theme off as soon as possible.

I like having all of my pokemon female...
I haven't seen a lot of male owners of all-female teams. Come to think of it, I do wonder why there's so much antipathy to co-ed teams out there. A lot of pokémon trainers must think the same way a lot of army enlisters have, huh.

Bunches

Grass PKM Trainer
While I'm playing the game I almost always hold the ds stylus in my mouth when I'm not actually using it. I know some might find it disgusting but oh well. Whenever I ride a bike in game I have to immediately go to another town/ route first to change the bike music. Other than that I don't really have any noticeable habits.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I've SR'd legenaries for so long I almost always have the impulse to reset my game after an encounter or hatch.

Espeon EX

On-and-Off User
well, in the hoenn games i have to hatch my eggs in lavaridge town...i have to have an eeveelution on my team (usually espeon or jolteon), i have to nickname my team, they have to be male no matter what (unless i get a female starter).