• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Baffling the Bouffalant! (727)

Emolga in an afro was one of the best things ever! Haha, adorable.... :p

dman_dustin

While I agree with your complaints dman, you have to realise that this is first and foremost a children's show to entertain children. It's all well and good that we want moar tranquil and good development, but the writers don't give a crap about that because that's not what keeps children watching.

Obviously the treatment of Tranquil, Swadloon and Palpitoad is diabolical, but the kids watching this show don't care about that at all.

I'm sorry but I don't buy this argument.

A really good writer would be able to entertain children yet use other Pokemon than just Pikachu, and the starters.

It sound incredibly lazy and horrible (in terms of quality writing) just to pick and choose the easiest Pokemon to write for.

It would take a real good writer to adapt Ash's giant ensemble cast to make an entertaining episode for children. And yet as I've said, they're pumping out episode after episode, most likely just cutting corners. I cannot see why Ash has 9 Unova Pokemon except to make the league more varied, especially since they can't be bothered to use the other Pokemon. Here I thought the writers wanted Ash to have many Pokemon so that from a storyline perspective they aren't bogged down with the same 6 Pokemon for everything. Apparently not because they haven't even really done it like that.

Let's just face it, the writers clearly and obviously write episodes just to piss me off. Because I almost feel like I can do a better job than them. Because at the very least, I'd be willing to use other Pokemon. Look I don't care, I really don't care if they want to shove Pikachu and the starters down our throats.

But why the hell is it so hard for Ash to use his other Pokemon as well. And I'm not talking about important, important storyline things. Why can't Boldore for example take a charging Bouffalant and then scare it off, but still have Snivy toss Oshawott and Tepig to get medicine. Or why not have Scraggy get in a fight with a Bouffalant, have Ash used another Pokemon, maybe Swadloon, use string shot to tie up the Bouffalant and run away. Or why not use Tranquill to go and find Iris and his Pokemon.

I'm pretty sure there are MANY ways the writers could utilize Ash's other Pokemon without cutting into the starters "screentime" and "importance" their choice to not do that is what pisses me off so much.

Venomfang

Perky Goth
I'm sorry but I don't buy this argument.

A really good writer would be able to entertain children yet use other Pokemon than just Pikachu, and the starters.

It sound incredibly lazy and horrible (in terms of quality writing) just to pick and choose the easiest Pokemon to write for.

It would take a real good writer to adapt Ash's giant ensemble cast to make an entertaining episode for children. And yet as I've said, they're pumping out episode after episode, most likely just cutting corners. I cannot see why Ash has 9 Unova Pokemon except to make the league more varied, especially since they can't be bothered to use the other Pokemon. Here I thought the writers wanted Ash to have many Pokemon so that from a storyline perspective they aren't bogged down with the same 6 Pokemon for everything. Apparently not because they haven't even really done it like that.

Let's just face it, the writers clearly and obviously write episodes just to piss me off. Because I almost feel like I can do a better job than them. Because at the very least, I'd be willing to use other Pokemon. Look I don't care, I really don't care if they want to shove Pikachu and the starters down our throats.

But why the hell is it so hard for Ash to use his other Pokemon as well. And I'm not talking about important, important storyline things. Why can't Boldore for example take a charging Bouffalant and then scare it off, but still have Snivy toss Oshawott and Tepig to get medicine. Or why not have Scraggy get in a fight with a Bouffalant, have Ash used another Pokemon, maybe Swadloon, use string shot to tie up the Bouffalant and run away. Or why not use Tranquill to go and find Iris and his Pokemon.

I'm pretty sure there are MANY ways the writers could utilize Ash's other Pokemon without cutting into the starters "screentime" and "importance" their choice to not do that is what pisses me off so much.

Exactly. This is lazy writing. Tranquill would have been perfect here. But instead we get Oshawott being annoying for an entire episode. The rotation system could have been a good idea but now we can see that the writers are too damn lazy to pull something as simple as that off. Even Johto was handled better than this.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I kind of feel bad for slamming this episode hard before it aired, because I enjoyed it. It was funny and cute. Sucks that Tepig didn't evolve though, and by the end of the episode, I was kind of hoping Iris caught that Bouffalant.

I'm glad to be moving on to the gym battles.

Wow. And here I thought no one wanted Tepig to evolve. And give Iris a Bouffalant? Whoa! Having a Excadrill, a Bouffalant and a future Fraxture sounds pretty insane, even for her.

gohan5

Irisboy
Wow. And here I thought no one wanted Tepig to evolve. And give Iris a Bouffalant? Whoa! Having a Excadrill, a Bouffalant and a future Fraxture sounds pretty insane, even for her.

I guess so, but I have to admit I did think there was a chance she'd get that Bouffalant. Oh well, it was a nice thought anyway.

ShigaKyou

Emolga: But I wanted to keep it... :'C

For a filler episode, it was pretty entertaining. Seeing Excadrill wearing that wig made me laugh!

Preview for the next episode looks promising. :)

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok... It was interesting seeing Pokabu and Mijumaru bickering with each other and fighting throughout the whole episode. Everyone looked funny in their different afros. Iris' hair afro was hilarious, and her reaction to it was priceless! It was very clever for Tsutarja to use Vine Whip to get Pokabu and Mijumaru high enough to be able to get the plant/herbs to heal the injured Buffron. Buffron was very intimidating and ruthless in this episode. They were going after anyone who didn't have an afro. They end up finally seeing a sign after getting away from the forest warning about the Buffron, great timing... Emonga really loved that afro of here.

50/100

Seeing Excadrill and Emolga was nice. Especially Emolga. :p Snivy being a bada** as usual was great!! Iris being the main character here was nice. It was an okay episode..

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Decent episode. Could have been a lot better though. Tepig and Oshawott's quarrel felt a lot pointless IMHO. Also, the reasoning behind the wigs is kind of... odd. It's cool if the idea is introducing comic relief but some parts felt weird.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Well, atleast there is no evolution yet right? Maybe it could evolve in a battle later. Maybe a battle between Ash and Trip sounds fun.

G50

No longer posting
When Ash asked Iris if Pokabu and Mijumaru behaved while with her, the Pokemon's terrified looks were funny. Iris ended up saying they were well-behaved.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
I like the episode name! Too bad it won't stay the same when it premiers internationally.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Well, half the joke in the original title is that "afro" (a-fu-ro) and "Buffron" (ba-f-fu-ro-n") are quite similar-sounding words, which isn't the case with "afro" and "Bouffalant".

gliscor&yanmega

Finished watching the video version.

It was enjoyable to me, not really anything all that exciting but I enjoy seeing the Pokemon out, as well as the humor in the episode. Also enjoyed the starters working together to get the medical plants.

Looked like Tepig was going to try and get the plants with it's Flamethrower...good thing Oshawott slapped it haha.

I thought it was obvious the Bouffalant Iris helped would defend her and the others in the situation that came shortly after, so wasn't surprised it stepped in. I wish she got it thought, I thought Bouffalant looked good with Iris and the team, oh well.

Was enjoyable to see the reactions of everyone about wearing the afros, Emolga seemed to be the only one who actually liked it(Although Scraggy kind of seemed sad to have it removed, although I'm not sure). Found it funny how Pansage didn't get a wig, just got it's hair(Or whatever it is) done in an afro style. Snivy was completely against wearing it, haha, poor thing.

I would have liked to see the other Pokemon in this too(Even though Ash wouldn't be able to have all his Pokemon with him unless Juniper was nearby and had all his Pokemon with her for whatever reason...), but oh well.

I thought it was a nice comedic and adventurous episode.

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
Maybe I'm just too much of a child at heart(I'm 21) but I really really enjoyed this episode. It really doesn't bother me that the reserve Pokemon don't get used that much. Honestly the only ones I really care to see are the starters and scraggy. This was a perfect episode for me because the interaction between the starters, especially Oshawott and Tepig, was just great. I don't care that it did absolutely nothing to develop any of the characters. I just took it for what it was, which in my opinion, was a really good episode.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I really loved Axew's facial expressions in this episode. I guess with less dialogue they had to rely on facial expressions.

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
I missed TR just ever so slightly in this episode. That's a first.

I wonder how the afro pun will translate? I don't see the word being tossed around as freely in the US...

Snivy kicked serious grass in this episode.