• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Bakuman.

Lucille

I didn't see a Bakuman thread anywhere, so I decided to make one. This is a thread about the manga Bakuman by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. Any comments about the manga should be posted here.

Anyway. Has anyone read chapter 42 yet? I thought it was pretty amazing. This series looks really promising.

Rave

Banned
There was a bakuman thread, but for some reason, these threads end up dying cuz no one posts anymore.

Rave

Banned
Depends on what Burkar man is.

Lucille

Bakuman probably isn't as popular because it hasn't been released in America yet. However, alot of manga in Alternative Manga appear in Weekly Shonen so I don't get why Bakuman isn't as popular :/

ForeverFlame

Well, Bakuman has a cult following in Japan. I looked at the tankobon's sales figures, and it's doing surprisingly well for a manga about manga. I think it would do pretty well in America, whenever Viz decides to liscence it.

Anyway, Chapter 44 was interesting, to say the least. I'm glad that something finally happened. The last couple of chapters have just been boring.

"Omg, chapter 6 did bad! Omg, chapter 7 did better! Omg, chapter 8 is bad! Omg, chapter 9 is in fifth place! Omg, chapter 10 is in seventh place! Omg, we're putting in comedy! Omg, so-and-so is doing better than us! Omg, now we're doing better than them! Omg, we're sooooo stressed! Omg, we get color pages! blah blah blah"

mockingjay

swift and lol
I thought you mis-spelt Bakugan. I'll check this manga out on Wiki.

Zabi

Not really here.
"Omg, chapter 6 did bad! Omg, chapter 7 did better! Omg, chapter 8 is bad! Omg, chapter 9 is in fifth place! Omg, chapter 10 is in seventh place! Omg, we're putting in comedy! Omg, so-and-so is doing better than us! Omg, now we're doing better than them! Omg, we're sooooo stressed! Omg, we get color pages! blah blah blah"

I couldn't agree with you more. I was really starting to get bored and was about to give up with this manga, but I read chapter 44 and now I am "interested" again.

I thought you mis-spelt Bakugan. I'll check this manga out on Wiki.

No, there is a manga called Bakuman. It's a manga about creating manga.

mockingjay

swift and lol
Yeah, I just saw it's Wiki page. Eh, looks interesting. I'll give it a try, but does that dude's crush really like him?

ForeverFlame

I just hope that a gamechanger happens soon, because this manga isn't that special yet. It's slice-of-life with absolutely no fantasy aspects at all, and I'm fine with that, but it's been dragging on. It also suffers from terribly one-dimensional characters, the same problem that Death Note had.

At first I couldn't really tell, but as the series progressed I noticed that the characters had literally no personality (character quirks don't count, so don't bring up Niizuma's traits). I have no idea if the main duo had a personality from the start, and I'm too lazy to read the first couple of chapters, but they don't have much of a personality now. They say and do anything that's convenient to the situation, which is a liberty lazy authors take.

(Don't even make me bring up that retarded sidekick girl who's only in this series to give Takagi a love interest. I hope to God she gets killed off soon.)

Has anybody else noticed how odd it was that three years passed by, yet Mashiro and Takagi have only gotten into one disagreement? Or that they haven't visibly aged at all? They still look like thirteen year-olds when they should be looking more adult-like now. They're high school seniors, not junior high seniors.

Another thing that bugs me is how they're joyriding through everything. If making a manga was that easy, there would be millions of mangaka out there. They only entered what, two contests? Not only that, but they got in third place in the Weekly Shonen Jump magazine on their first series, which was only on like chapter 10 anyway.

The plot twist at the end of Chapter 44 seems tacked on, and it felt out-of-place when compared to the rest of the chapter. It's like the editor told them to make Mashiro have a terminal disease or something (a soap opera favorite!), because even they realized how plain this was getting.

That's just my little complaints about this series. I'm still going to follow it, though, because I know that it has the potential to get better and it fills in the void D.Gray-man left when it went on hiatus.

Last edited:

Lucille

I just hope that a gamechanger happens soon, because this manga isn't that special yet. It's slice-of-life with absolutely no fantasy aspects at all, and I'm fine with that, but it's been dragging on. It also suffers from terribly one-dimensional characters, the same problem that Death Note had.

At first I couldn't really tell, but as the series progressed I noticed that the characters had literally no personality (character quirks don't count, so don't bring up Niizuma's traits). I have no idea if the main duo had a personality from the start, and I'm too lazy to read the first couple of chapters, but they don't have much of a personality now. They say and do anything that's convenient to the situation, which is a liberty lazy authors take.

(Don't even make me bring up that retarded sidekick girl who's only in this series to give Takagi a love interest. I hope to God she gets killed off soon.)

Has anybody else noticed how odd it was that three years passed by, yet Mashiro and Takagi have only gotten into one disagreement? Or that they haven't visibly aged at all? They still look like thirteen year-olds when they should be looking more adult-like now. They're high school seniors, not junior high seniors.

Another thing that bugs me is how they're joyriding through everything. If making a manga was that easy, there would be millions of mangaka out there. They only entered what, two contests? Not only that, but they got in third place in the Weekly Shonen Jump magazine on their first series, which was only on like chapter 10 anyway.

The plot twist at the end of Chapter 44 seems tacked on, and it felt out-of-place when compared to the rest of the chapter. It's like the editor told them to make Mashiro have a terminal disease or something (a soap opera favorite!), because even they realized how plain this was getting.

That's just my little complaints about this series. I'm still going to follow it, though, because I know that it has the potential to get better and it fills in the void D.Gray-man left when it went on hiatus.

Man, that was a mouthful. But by reading the series it kinda explains why they created it. Something thats not typical Shonen mainstream.

I agree that chapter 44 was good, it was something different. I wonder what is happening with Mashiro? It probably will put a strain on their manga. I think Detective Trap will be put on hiatus untill Mashiro recovers. Then when Ashimogi Muto returns with Trap, it will have to start at the bottom again, and build up because it will just be starting a new arc, right?

LittleRedRodeo

Candy Apple Red
I agree with Forever Flame. I have a love/hate relationship with this series (ehhh, more like like/indifference, I guess). Soooo many flaws, and yet I read it week after week. Every once in awhile I see potential for a good slice-of-life series, but the author manages to kill that every other chapter.

Not to mention that it has a rather uncomfortable sexist undertow at times. Oba sucks at writing girls.

Mew's desire

*Smirks*
Bakuman? I have one book from the series. Yes its pretty good, I soon plan to read the series in Mangafox.
The character I like is Miho (Her name is the same as my real name)

Mew's desire

*Smirks*
Bakuman? I have one book from the series. Yes its pretty good, I soon plan to read the series in Mangafox.
The character I like is Miho (Her name is the same as my real name)

Lucille

I agree with Forever Flame. I have a love/hate relationship with this series (ehhh, more like like/indifference, I guess). Soooo many flaws, and yet I read it week after week. Every once in awhile I see potential for a good slice-of-life series, but the author manages to kill that every other chapter.

Not to mention that it has a rather uncomfortable sexist undertow at times. Oba sucks at writing girls.

I like this series alot, although It will probably be short like death note.