• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Balance of Power! (346)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
DShaun2004 said:
I'm sorry to say this: but Max is not my favorite character. At times I can't seem to tolerate him. He's too annoying to me! I know he's 8/9, but still!!! Him always dragging Brock away from a girl. WHY???? What Brock does, what's that got to do with him??

It was worse with Misty dragging Brock away. At least with Max he's a kid so he doesn't understand relationships between people yet as older teens would, so it makes sense. Misty on the other hand had nothing to do with Brocks love life and the like, so she was much more off base than Max.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
This was an excellent episode. How could you ask for more. Abilities finally make it ont he scene with Pikachu's Static and Grovyle's Overgrow. The battling was top notch and leads us into an almost superb streak of gym battles (save Golden Pikachu).

Then there was Team Rocket which sucked big time. True they were finally doing there job and making a base in Hoenn. However, Jessie just couldn't leave the Dugtrio alone could she? It has got to be one of their worst episodes.

9 out of 10. TR sucked but other than that, one of the best episodes of Advanced yet.

PDL

disenchanted
I kinda thought this episode was a bit lackluster... considering how much hype you got from this particular gym leader (Norman-maina, the difficulty in the game... etc)

the music was "meh" (the word that should be used for filler battles rather then gym battles) the music was a part of the reason why I wasn't fond of this gym battle... :\

hopefully the next gym battles are hellava lot better then this one :\

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
One liner of the week

James: Team Rocket does not outsource.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Ah, another gym battle.

The animation for this could have been much better. Esspecially since I was expecting this to be a very interesting episode.

Something about Slakoth's voice was very interesting to me. It was perfect for it, slow yet cunning. Actually, it kind of reminded me of someone's voice...like a decieving snake's voice, or something...

Kind of strange that Slaking didn't "loaf around" or something at all in this episode. I guess it got all of its laziness out last episode, right before it sent Team Rocket flying.

The part with Max being in denial about Norman losing was a nice touch to put at the end, to me. I'm not sure why so many people don't like Max for doing that. Even though I wasn't expecting it, Norman was his idol, so it was understandable that he at first couldn't accept his father's loss.

This episode was okay, but not quite high enough for gym battle standards. I'll have to give it a 7/10. :/

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
Blue Pokemon Master said:
Something about Slakoth's voice was very interesting to me. It was perfect for it, slow yet cunning. Actually, it kind of reminded me of someone's voice...like a decieving snake's voice, or something...

Now that you mention it...sounds like the snake from the The Jungle Book cartoon from Disney.

I don't know what it was about this episode...or the fact that I viewed the pictures of it before hand...or read the review, but seeing it didn't do much for me.

I dunno, I tend to base my views of the gym battles against Ash's battle against Clair in "Better Eight Than Never." As of now, its my favorite gym battle that has aired in America. Seeing it didn't measure up.

Oh well, it was much better than Wattson and Roxanne and even Brawly (sorry Phantom Bugsy). I'd say its tied with Flannery's battle right now for me. Let's hope Winona is better on screen (TV) than paper.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Episode name: Balance of Power (an actually okay title for once :eek: )

Animation: Not the best but well done in a few scenes.

Things of note:

TR spend the whole episode attempting to build an underground secret base. However, since they worked so hard to get money for materials they don't want to work any more and end up spending much of their time arguing over who should work. Everything's ruined when Jesse makes the mistake of kicking a rock at a Dugtrio and the incredibly irritable arcade-game pokemon proceeds to chase them in circles. :-?

Still, James gets a funny line:

James: "Team Rocket is against outsourcing!"

Slakoth, the Matrix Pokemon, runs rings around poor Pikachu without ever actually moving from it's original place.

It seems that in the anime the laziness trait of Slaking, which causes it to skip turns in the game, is actually a benefit in the anime, as it makes it absorb attacks easier, and a good pummelling gets it warmed up to fight more powerfully.

It may be odd but at least it's consistent, as Norman's Vigoroth, despite being incredibly strong, seems to have physical attacks that consist only of an uber Scratch attack (i.e Scratch was the only move it used in its previous vs. Pikachu battle).

Ash has Pikachu take the tactic of letting Vigoroth hit it so it can hang onto and paralyze the hyper sloth using the impact as a stimulant. Nice reflection to the games, though in the anime it appears to be a matter of skill to pull off the Static ability, rather than the 30% success rate of the games (in the anime it seems the pokemon has to be strong enough to take the attack, stay conscious, then allow its internal electricity to flow into the body of the attacker).

Grovyle show's his Charizard-like potential quite well in this episode. Although its attacks did little to Slaking early on, it almost felt like watching a Charizard battle once Overgrow activated. Grovyle of course has a flair for the dramatic, flinching after the classic "final strike" scene to make Slaking think it is about to fall unconscious, only for the huge ape/sloth-thing to realize its internal organs have been eviscerated and to take a needed dirtnap. ^_^

"Overgrow" Grovyle was IMO the coolest part of the episode. The green aura looked great, and its voice even seemed to improve, becoming more "dangerous" sounding. Plus his Leaf Blades doubled in size, reaching Darth Maul lightsaber proportions, which looked VERY cool as he raced at Slaking while Slaking rushed him with Focus Punch. ^_^

Max and May switch maturity levels, as Max reveals in some ways he is just a little kid who thinks his dad is invincible. He actually takes Ash's badge, runs off and locks himself in the greenhouse. Makes you realize, for better or worse, why Norman never let Max (or May) watch the gym battles before. :-( Ash for his part shows amazing maturity, not getting upset and even telling Max he can keep the badge, though I would assume he was thinking Norman would give him another as does technically NEED the badge for the league. Or it was just an attempt at sympathy and reverse psychology, whatever it all worked out. :)

So, not the best by far but a pretty good battle episode, I just wish the animation had been more detailed and fluid in a couple of scenes (really, Grovyle's movements were pretty poorly done until Overgrow activated) and maybe that Torkoal wasn't knocked out in one blow (though I guess they just wanted to show again how powerful Vigoroth was and have Torkoal be tired from its beam war with Slakoth).

<><><>

P.S. Judging by how well Max took it one wonders if the people of North Petalburg will mourn for forty days and nights or commit mass suicide when they find out that Norman not only lost but that it wasn't their beloved Pikachu that ultimately won but rather the Grovyle owned by the trainer they had the nerve to call a "novice." And a part of me wants to believe they did have a frightful reaction. ^_^

W

Wing

Beh. Dissapointment abound.

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to be saying, I liked Max's little bits. At least it puts Max as more than an annoying little sod. Although I do agree that TR's part was totally useless. WHY do they put TR in Gym Episodes? It just slows things down.

Anyway. I suppose in itself the episode was okay, but 'okay' does not cut it in this case. This is a Gym Battle, Gym Battles are all supposed to be a notch ABOVE 'okay'. And even moreso, we've been waiting for this battle for months. There were 2 episodes building up to this one. A Gym Battle that we've been waiting for since the beginning of the Houen saga, that is the end of a 3-parter can NOT be 'okay'. It needs to be more along the lines of 'Total Awesominity'

Grargh. Pro/Cons.

The episode itself:
Pros:
1. Pikachu was REALLY resilient in this battle. I'm actually pretty proud of the little yellow guy. He's been getting better in terms of defnese, and not just offense and speed since Houen started. (See vs. Nosepass, and vs. Torkoal) How cool would it have been if he had stood up to Slaking, and just gone all out, but not able to get a single hit on him, before getting pwnzed by Slaking? (Sorta like His battle with Zippo in the Kanto League, and Bayleef's battle with Blaziken.)

2. Torkoal wiped out Slakoth in one hit. :3 for Torkoal.

3. Grovyle useing Overgrow was an awesome bit.

4. Once again, Max's little bit at the end. I liked it.

Cons:
1. TR. So useless.

2. Torkoal got OHKOed by a SCRATCH? My god, there are so many things wrong with that. I don't care how high Vigiroth's attack is, but you cannot OHKO a Torkoal with a Scratch attack. I know Torkoal needed to come in and be axed quick for plot-related reasons, but my god, could you at least let him keep his dignity and use Slash? >:/

3. I didn't get the part where Grovyle was jumping around. Seriously, I didn't. It looked like someone just threw it in on a whim.

4. The animation in general was lackluster, in my opinion.

5. A Slakoth with Shadow Ball, Hidden Power, and Blizzard? Ohkay buddy, good luck with that. o_O;

Dub:
Pros:
Decently dubbed I guess, but nothing really stands out. 'Cept mayvbe Max's line about the Elite 4, and James's Outsourcing Line.

Cons:
What is 4Kids problem with Abilities? For gods sake, they totally dodged Slakoth using Truant, and they buthcered Pikachu using static. At least they mostly kept Overgrow intact. :/

All in all rating:
6.7. Okay for a Johto or Kanto filler, but NOT sufficent for a Houen Gym Battle that has this much buildup. I'm dissapointed. I just hope the battle with Winona is better than this.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Pokemon Fan said:
So, not the best by far but a pretty good battle episode, I just wish the animation had been more detailed and fluid in a couple of scenes (really, Grovyle's movements were pretty poorly done until Overgrow activated) and maybe that Torkoal wasn't knocked out in one blow (though I guess they just wanted to show again how powerful Vigoroth was and have Torkoal be tired from its beam war with Slakoth).
I was thinking that it was strange that Torkoal was taken out with one Scratch, considering its incredible defense.

Edit: Wing just said the same thing basically, in the post previous to this one.

Wing also likes that part at the end with Max, even though many didn't. I mentioned liking it too, it was definately (sp?) character development. All his praise of his father was just leading up to his breakdown, and he learned something from it.

Last edited:

Puffs

...NINE-THOUSAND!!!!
this is the 3rd episode I can think of where they took abilities into account. It was awesome when Grovyle used Leaf Blade with Overgrow in effect. I think this is one of the best Gym battles
Best Gym Battles:
Blaine
Norman
Falkner
Jasmine
Clair
Flannery
Brawly

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
about Coatoise being offed with a single Scratch attack, from the looks of things, Yarukimono aimed its attack at Coatoise's belly (something of a weak spot considering the shell there isn't near as thick as the one on its back). In the still-shot of Yarukimono attacking Coatoise, Yarukimono's claw is a bit underneath the turtle while it flies into the air. So Yarukimono most likely accomplished what it did by going for the weak spot.

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
I wish they had kept the abilities intact!

Anyone notice that in the original, Takeshi talks about Namakero storing up energy with its Truant ability, and then when it evolves to Yarukimono, all the energy is released.

However, in the dub, Brock compliments on Norman's strategy of using the slow Slakoth first, followed by the fast Vigoroth. Any idea why they changed this?

Meh, one of the lesser dubbed episodes. They botched many of the good lines in the Japanese, which is probably why most people are dissapointed.

Cheers!
~Bulby ;001;

V Faction

www.faction.com
Bulba the Great! said:
Meh, one of the lesser dubbed episodes. They botched many of the good lines in the Japanese, which is probably why most people are dissapointed.
People are disappointed with the animation, the hype surrounding this battle, and Team Rocket's antics. The only reason to get mad from dub lines is caused from their lack of mentioning Truant, but that's stupid.

G

Geki

This was possibly the best gym battle throughout all of Hoenn in America so far, I loved it. The battle between Ash's Grovyle and Slaking wasn't as great as I thought it would be, but it was still good. I can't believe Ash already has 5 Hoenn badges so far, I can remember when Ash only had like 1.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
You know, I'm glad I didn't look at the pictures for this episode once since they were first posted. I totally forgot about Max spazzing out there at the end. I think that was definitely the first time that someone protested about Ash winning a badge completely legitimately (as opposed to Ash's protests about not legitimately winning in "Showdown at Pewter City", "Pokemon Scent-Sation", "A Dairy Tale Ending", and "Watt's with Wattson", and Misty's two separate protests in "The Waterflowers of Cerulean City"). I knew that something had to happen after all the buildup about Ash coming to battle Norman, but Max's reaction was unexpected for me. It certainly made for an interesting dramatic moment.

Great gym battle too. Oh, and I forgot, great line from Jessie and James telling Meowth they don't outsource. Hey, Team Rocket can't be *that* evil. :D

8/10

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Pros:
-Overgrow Grovyle
-The unexpected twist of Max running off with the badge
-Many demonstartions of traits. Too bad we really don't see traits in other episodes...

Cons:
-Sorry, TR; You rock and all, but you're almost always useless in Gym Battle episodes.
-We never got to see the Norman-maniac's reaction to his loss.
-Norman's Yami Yugi-ish voice really sounds odd in this ep. I half expected him to say that "It's time to duel!" when the match started. When oh when will the voice actors gain the ability to do more than 5 unique voices?
-Torkoal's quick defeat. Er, I kind of doubt that using a single Flamethrower and Overheat could tire it out THAT much, and a mere Scratch shouldn't damage it anywhere NEAR that much.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Juputoru said:
Pros:
-Overgrow Grovyle
-The unexpected twist of Max running off with the badge
-Many demonstartions of traits. Too bad we really don't see traits in other episodes...

Cons:
-Sorry, TR; You rock and all, but you're almost always useless in Gym Battle episodes.
-We never got to see the Norman-maniac's reaction to his loss.
-Norman's Yami Yugi-ish voice really sounds odd in this ep. I half expected him to say that "It's time to duel!" when the match started. When oh when will the voice actors gain the ability to do more than 5 unique voices?
-Torkoal's quick defeat. Er, I kind of doubt that using a single Flamethrower and Overheat could tire it out THAT much, and a mere Scratch shouldn't damage it anywhere NEAR that much.

let me think on this.
pros.
1.yeah it was okay until he had to act like a showoff.
2.Kinda saw that coming even without looking at the episode pictures.
3.agreed in full.
Cons.
1.Well duh considering they are building a base.
2.They live on the other side of town, and the battle was not televised so how would they know.
3.who cares about the voice acting, sure caroline now sounds like roxanne, but still nothing new there.
4.Oh god...enough about the loss already, the only reason Slakoth was beating pikachu was because it's matrix defense caught it off gaurd and kept on pelting it with strong attacks,and then Norman made the mistake of continuing blizzard on Torkoal when ash switched it in, that knocking slakoth out and then came vigoroth, now Torkoal at the current time is ash's weakest pokemon in terms of levels, and Vigoroth is a trampler do the the math, and it you want to know why i added the whole pikachu/slakoth matter in here was because of the fact that some people will probably use the excuse of,"But Pikachu is stronger than Torkoal and it had to be recalled against slakoth, how could torkaol beat it and then get knocked out easily form vigoroth."

W

Wing

First off. I disagree with you that Torkoal is Ash's weakest Pokemon in terms of levels. I would have to say that dubious honor belongs to Taillow right now.

Secondly, I don't care how low Torkoal's level is. Pikachu took SEVERAL attacks from both Vigoroth and Slakoth and survived them all. Why don't you compare Pikachu's defense curve with Torkoal's defense curve and get back with me? :/

Besides, we have no idea what level Torkoal was before Ash caught him. From what I saw, you've gotta be at decent level if you wanna survive long in the Valley of Steel.

T

Trendy_boy87

urm torkoal is ashs weakest pokemon ever its a cry baby and end up injuring ash and may pokemon more than an opponents