• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Balanced OU

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I've been running ho lately, so i thought it was time to run a balanced team, as usual, if you suggest a smogon set to me, please explain why you think it is so much better. This team has had a test run, i won with it and the match went pretty well.

I decided i wante to make a balanced team with 3 mixed sweepers.

I started looking for a lead, and decided forretress could do that and spin.

Next i needed my sweepers, decided to go with a favorite ever since my dragon monotype ho team, Salamence.

Infernape has always been a solid sweeper, so i decided to throw him in.

Now i needed a third mixed sweeper, remembering that lucario had a good attack and special attack stat, i decided to try him out.

Finally i'm in need of my tanks/walls that all balanced teams seem to need to have. I thought of trying serperior and going for a glare/dragon tail/giga drain set to immobolize my opponents team, but i decided id keep that for uu/ru. Instead i went with the ferrolicent core.

The team

Forretress @leftovers
careful
sturdy
252 hp 56 def 200 sp def
spikes
stealth rock
rapid spin
volt switch

Notes: even though i dislike forretress, this set has been working for me.

Salamence @ life orb
naive
intimidate
128 atk, 128 sp atk, 252 spd
crunch
draco meteor
flamethrower
earthquake

Notes: been giving serious consideration to having moxie instead.

Infernape @ life orb
naive
blaze
56 atk 200 sp atk 252 spd
vacuum wave
flamethrower
stone edge
earthquake

Notes: It has more sp atk investment because both it's stabs are special.

Lucario @ life orb
naive
Inner focus
128 atk 128 sp atk 252 speed
aura sphere
dark pulse
bullet punch
thunder punch

Notes: aura sphere and dark pulse are for near perfect neutral coverage, bullet punch is stab. Thunder punch deals with water and flying types which infernape can't handle.

Jellicent @ leftovers
bold
water absorb
252 hp 200 def 56 sp def
will o wisp
recover
taunt
scald

Notes: just meant to sponge some hits (especially water type ones). Taunt is for opposing walls

Ferrothorn @ leftovers
brave
iron barbs
252 hp 68 def 188 sp def
power whip
gyro ball
leach seed
protect

Notes: my favorite in game set, decided to try it out of the subway.

So thats my team, any suggestions i would appreciate.

Last edited:

orangezilla

Who's dar man
for your jellicent you're gonna want to run taunt over night shade, that will hurn opposing walls alot more + on your ferrothorn you have leftovers as an attack, i assume thats mean tot be leech seed? also on your forretress i think you mean volt switch, volt turn is a strategy.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Jellicent: with night shade it isnt walled by it's fellow jellicent. I do use the move night shade quite a bit, however if i have a rising need to use taunt it will definitely be switched over.
Forretress: yeah, i was giving consideration to a volt turn team the other day. Guess it stuck to my head.
Ferrothorn, your right again, i meant leech seed.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Alright, I'll try it out, it's changed now, any other ideas?

On the plus side, you can always taunt trap opposing Jelli into watching itself burn to a horrible and cruel demise xD lol

sorry, two people who (i feel) outclass me have already stirred the pot and are working their magic. I think I'll just sit back and enjoy the progress :)

Reasonable team so far.