• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Balanced Team Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
This is my competitive team. It's not the best team in the world but I've done fairly well with it thus far. Please note that I am trying to make a team that does not duplicate items, nor uses any legendaries (I count Landorus, Jirachi, and pretty much anything you can't breed as a legendary):

NOTE: I realize that I could use legendaries with perfectly tailored stats and IVs on simulators like Pokémon Showdown, and while I do play on those kinds of online simulators, I prefer to only use Pokémon that I actually own in my game as well. Call it a "self-imposed restriction" or even "stupid" if you want, but that's just the way I play. You may also say that I'm not cut out for competitive play with a mentality like that, but, ehh... Let's just agree to disagree on that one and just help me with my team please and thank you.

Infernape - Blaze
Jolly @ Choice Ba
252 Atk/252 Spd

U-Turn
Mach Punch
Close Combat
Flare Blitz

Used to scout with U-Turn mostly, but also used to hit relatively hard with the STAB moves.

Mamoswine - Thick Fat
Adamant @ Life Orb
252 Atk/252 Spd

Ice Shard
Earthquake
Superpower
Icicle Crash

Used as a powerful attacker, but mainly to OHKO Dragons.

Salamence - Moxie
Adamant @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk/252 Spd

Outrage
Dragon Claw
Fire Fang
Earthquake

Used as a late game cleaner, and has Moxie to potentially get the momentum going.

Alakazam - Magic Guard
Timid @ Focus Sash
252 Sp Atk/252 Spd

Energy Ball
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

The power of the late game sash. Nuff said there, really. Although, I prefer Psychic over Psyshock just because of the higher base power and this team's already high physical attacking presence.

Starmie - Illuminate (Nah, just kidding, Natural Cure)
Timid @ Expert Belt
252 Sp Atk/252 Spd

Rapid Spin
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Surf

An offensive spinner, plus a decent revenge killer in its own right.

Ferrothorn - Iron Barbs
Relaxed @ Leftovers
252 HP/Then something like 100 Def/156 Sp Def

Spikes
Leech Seed
Stealth Rock
Power Whip

My hazard layer. Plus a well timed Power Whip to a Rotom comes in handy sometimes.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Well, the first suggestion I'll give you is ditch the no Legendaries mentality. There is absolutely no reason not to use "Legendaries", and the people who don't have one of two reasons 99% of the time:

1. Legendaries are overpowered. They are "Legendary" for a reason, and using them is an "easy out".
This could not be further from the truth. Articuno and Moltres are Legendaries, right? Both suck. Phione is Legendary, it sucks. Entei is a threat in RU, but not in OU. The list goes on. These people are generally trying to prove something that doesn't actually prove anything besides that they don't understand the concept of seeking every advantage you can get, which is pretty much a requirement in competitive play.

2. I can't breed Legendaries to get more with a Hidden Power type or Nature I want.
Not a problem. Play on simulators. That's what's competitive, not Random Matchup. pokemonshowdown.com is a perfect solution.

That out of the way, if a Legendary benefits your team I will suggest it, provided it is legal in OU.

Secondly, I strongly suggest you add descriptions of the roles each Pokemon plays on this team. We also NEED Abilities and EV spreads. It makes life a lot easier on your raters.

Third, Item Clause exists in VGC and not much else. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using more than one of the same item. If an item is beneficial to the Mon, I'll suggest it whether you have it already or not.

Anyway, about time I started the rate part:

Infernape
Jolly @ Choice Band

U-Turn
Mach Punch
Close Combat
Flare Blitz

Without the EV spread I don't know what to tell you here. The set works fine if you have the right spread, and it doesn't work at all if you EV'd wrong.

Mamoswine
Adamant @ Life Orb

Ice Shard
Earthquake
Superpower
Icicle Crash

This also works fine, provided the EV spread is right for the set. This set would benefit from a Band (and actually uses it better than your Nape set, you might want to consider giving Nape a lead set if you're going to be leading it).

Salamence
Adamant @ Choice Scarf

Outrage
Dragon Claw
Fire Fang
Earthquake

Jolly with the Scarf, Fire Blast over Fire Fang for Ferrothorn, Forretress and Scizor (it hits them all harder, I believe) and I hope to Arceus this has Moxie.

Alakazam
Timid @ Focus Sash

Energy Ball
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

IF this has Magic Guard it works, although Energy Ball is pointless, so you might want some support move. The reason for this is with Psychic (I recommend Psyshock instead to break special walls) for STAB and Shadow Ball and Focus Blast you have every attack you need. Fighting/Ghost hits the whole game for at least neutral damage. Reuniclus is also a very nice option for a Trick Room sweeper or Calm Mind abuser.

Starmie
Timid @ Expert Belt

Rapid Spin
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Surf

Spinner, good. You seem to have a Rock weakness so having a spinner is extremely nice.

Ferrothorn
Relaxed @ Leftovers

Spikes
Leech Seed
Stealth Rock
Power Whip

Without Gyro Ball Relaxed over Impish is pointless. Also, either Spikes or Stealth Rock to Thunder Wave. Probably Spikes, all this team really needs is Rocks. Stall teams would run both, but this isn't Stall. It's offensive.

So, I didn't end up suggesting Legendaries. But as I said, it's a pointless self-imposed restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.