• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Banned Topics + Post Main/Spoilers/Polls Inputs Here! (Updated: 12/14/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomspot555

Does anyone else feel like a speculation FAQ would help members? It sounds like a good idea. I didn't even think of that.

Feel free to use this as the difference between spoilers (fact), pure speculation (mindless drivel), and speculation based on speculation.

(And I'm not an artistic person, so if you feel like adding bolding or colors or emphasis or whatever, feel free to do so).

For the purpose of the FAQ, I'll be using well known elements of the Pokemon anime.

**Start FAQ***
Spoilers are confirmed events that will happen, but have not yet been aired. Spoilers are obtained via official sources, such as interviews with producers, writers, and voice actors, episode descriptions, or episode previews, and so on. It is no longer a spoiler once an episode is aired.

• In the case of the Pokemon anime, episodes air in Japan months before they air elsewhere. When an episode has only aired in Japan, discussion of that episode is limited to the relevant Episode Discussions thread or the Anime Spoilers.
  • Once an episode has aired in North America, it is no longer a spoiler at all and can be discussed in the general Pokemon Anime forum.

Speculation is when someone attempts to predict what will happen in the future of the anime. This can go in either the general Pokemon Anime Discussion (PAD) or Anime Spoilers, depending on what speculation is based on.

Speculation based on spoilers is what it sounds like: Speculation based on confirmed events that are happening but not yet aired. All speculation based on spoilers belongs in the Spoilers forum, because it's either based on airings of the Japanese anime, or confirmed future events for the Japanese anime (previews, interviews, etc...).

• For example, if I wanted to make a thread about the future of Grotle post evolution, and this was before the episoded aired in North America, I would post it in Anime Spoilers.

Pure speculation is speculation based on absolutely nothing. It's glorified fan fic :) This could go into PAD, assuming it isn't a banned topic.

• For example, that "Will Misty ever appear in Sinnoh" thread that's been in Anime Spoilers for months? It doesn't contain a single spoiler. It contains some decent discussion, but it's pure speculation. Similar threads pop up in Anime Spoilers all the time.

Some people think pure speculation has to go into the Anime Spoilers forum, since...if someone was right, it'd be spoiling? Sounds stupid, right? Because it is.

But what if you want to post about a spoiler (either aired only in Japan, or not aired at all) in a character discussion thread, Single Questions thread, etc.. in PAD? Simply use the spoiler tag.

The only reason a character discussion thread should really go into Anime Spoilers is if it focuses on a specific event that, so far, has only aired in Japan. Movie 13 would be a good example.

but randomspot555, could you give me some awesome examples differentiating between all this confusing terminology?. Sure, glad you asked.

Let's pretend you just saw Episode 2, and there's a preview for Episode 3 (Ash Catches a Pokemon) at the end. It shows Ash throwing a Pokeball at Caterpie, leaving some suspense if Caterpie was captured or it wiggles away and escapes.

This would be the spoiler: Ash tosses a Pokeball at a Caterpie, and it cuts away, leaving the question of if it escapes or not.

Speculation based on a spoiler: I bet it evolves into a Butterfree later in the episode!

Random speculation: I bet Team Rocket shows up again to steal Pikachu!

I'm still confused :( :( :( :(

I'm sure you are. Let's try some non-Pokemon spoilers.

Luke is Leia's brother and Vader's son is NOT a spoiler because that movie was released decades ago. Same with "Uncle Ben dies at the end and Peter becomes Spider-Man" or any other ridiculously old story/episode/tv series/movie. There is no possible way it's spoiling for anyone because they were made years ago.

Let's pretend the prequels for Star Wars haven't been out yet.

Your hypothetical post, disucssing the Weird Al song about Star Wars: Episode I, the Phantom Menace:

Weird Al just released a song about the new Star Wars prequel. He even says it's based on fan spoilers from the Internet and confirmed in a preview screening. In it, he says
Anakin Skywalker, from Tatooine, will "probably become Vader someday" and he meets the woman who'll become Luke and Leia's mother ("do you see him hitting on the queen...they'll probably get married someday"). Jabba the Hutt also appears as the referee of some race, and Anakin/Vader created C3po.

Last edited:

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
deathseer you are my new favorite member. ^_^

lol...thanks.I just try to keep an open mind when it comes to anime.Just wish people here would.Just lay down the rules, and if they still don't listen,,,Ban them.People's opinions are important, but it gets to the point where its totally unescessary.I hate how people just shout of how much they hate some character and bash anyone who thinks otherwise.Need to keep a watch on the flamers.Totally starting to out of hand

firelovindocker

It should be....Or at least taken somewhere else

The moment the thing is even mentioned, people go into a crazy.I swear its always like" Gawd that thing is such a screenhog!!!" or "OMGZ....Why won't that stupid penguin just die already!!!". Its just so irritating when all you see is just a bunch of idiots complaining about a fictional character.Even in the episode speculations all they keep saying is" Are you kidding me....Why does he get the all the episodes???!!!" depsite the fact Pikachu has been in every episode since Ash got him.They complain over the most tedious things when in reality, their opinion just doesn't matter.I for one love him and can't wait to see what he and Dawn bring to the table later on.

I swear....Its just as bad as those "OMGZ I wantz Misty back!!!" threads.All you get is stupid flame wars about how one character sucks when you put your favorite on a freaking pedastal

you know no one talks like that except if they are imatating like you, it's starting to anbnoy me
every single thread i see that stupid grammar/spelling crap for idiots
can we ban that too?

no seriously now, i agree with you
people create false hope by mindless speculation about random things that they have no proof that it'll happen. plus, the threads turn into flame ars anyway but sometimes a flame war can be fun.

randomspot555

you know no one talks like that except if they are imatating like you, it's starting to anbnoy me

While they might not post exactly like that, their post communicate little more than a sound bite message. Just to pick on someone (not really), of all the pro-Misty posters out there, one of the very few who actually puts some thought into his/her posts is pokemon_fan_123. He uses this thing called paragraphs and spell check, something that a lot of this board does not.

Now if all of the pro-Misty posters or "Ash shoudl leave" posters (or whatever banned topic) put as much thought into posts as pokemon_fan_123 does, then these topics could actually incite some good discussion.

But they don't. Usually, it's just a massive group of idiots posting a sentence or two, and then a dozen "I agree" +1 post counts following that.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The reason the Misty threads are annoying in general is because its now been 7 YEARS since the character left the series, and the writers have only given her very few cameos in all the following arcs.

Some people act as if Misty just left the show a year or two ago...AG started back in 2002! That's 7 years ago!

Now I don't mind if Misty appears in Sinnoh at some point for a few episodes, but there's no point to constantly rant about it when there's been no indication if she'll show up outside of the eps when Ash returns to Pallet.

Chelc

Ooook Misty aside...

randomspot, do you think you could expand a little (not too much, it looks great really as it is) FAQ? =D If you don't want to I understand, I could type it up myself and credit you for the basis. It'd be great if you could post something like it (seriously, I think it's great, it's easy to understand and sounds very helpful) - maybe it would help out some of the clueless members we have here. I don't know, what do you guys think of what he's typed up so far?

Last edited:

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
Thanks for the Thread. I hate it how people are always speculating when there is no evidence to back it up. Now, im not saying your little minds cant image, but make sure you do it out of the forums. ;)

Rex Kamex

Yes, I too find it ridiculous that people complain this much about a pokemon. It's even more amusing to go back and read old posts about Pikachu, and how people wished for a pokemon in DP to get some spotlight, if not more than Pikachu, because they hated the thing... now that it has happened...well, you just can't please the fans I guess.

For some reason, people are acting like with its screentime Piplup's trying to replace Pikachu, but it's just trying to get spotlight with it. I think this is a good thing- another Pokemon's getting spotlight but Pikachu stays.

Chelc

Yeah, I can expand it. Day off tomorrow, so maybe I'll work on it then?

Sure, whenever you want, since it is your thread. There's no rush. :)

@Red Kamex: Me, too. I don't see the problem. It seemed like people wanted Pikachu to be replaced for a while, and now they're even upset about it. This fandom makes me laugh, lol.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
@Red Kamex: Me, too. I don't see the problem. It seemed like people wanted Pikachu to be replaced for a while, and now they're even upset about it. This fandom makes me laugh, lol.

I agree with both of you. I dont see whats the problem with Piplup being out almost as much as Pikachu is.

Rex Kamex

It's kinda like how... well, I noticed that many people were hoping/expecting the trade with Buizel and Aipom to happen, so I was shocked that so many people were angry about it.

Regarding Piplup though, it didn't "hog" the spotlight in the first few episodes, so it caught people "off guard" when it was getting more screentime, but still... I don't think Piplup's a problem. I really don't see the point in Piplup leaving, because it'll either be replaced by another spotlight "hogger", or it... won't, and Pikachu will still get as much spotlight as it used to, but... why? After hundreds of episodes, having another star won't kill the show. (It's kinda like Mario and Luigi.)

While they might not post exactly like that, their post communicate little more than a sound bite message. Just to pick on someone (not really), of all the pro-Misty posters out there, one of the very few who actually puts some thought into his/her posts is pokemon_fan_123. He uses this thing called paragraphs and spell check, something that a lot of this board does not.

Now if all of the pro-Misty posters or "Ash shoudl leave" posters (or whatever banned topic) put as much thought into posts as pokemon_fan_123 does, then these topics could actually incite some good discussion.

I think you mean "132", but... I have to admit, he's made good points.

Last edited:

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
I just hate how any thread that mentions Piplup people just start bashing away.Its always the same people just reposting how much they hate it to the point where it just gets annoying.Soon, anyone who dares to say that they actually like him is automatically beaten away with stupid rants about how much Piplup hogs the show.Any new episode that even mentions it peole just start going on about how much it should die

EX: New episode featuring a new Pokemon with Piplup is announced

Post 1: Cool. Can't wait to see "insert new Pokemon" in action

Post 2: "Insert main character" is going to catch said new Pokemon

Post 3: Great, another episode with that stupid penguin. I hate that thing so much!!!

Post 4: Why does that stupid penguin get all the episodes! It should just fall off the screen and die!

Post 5: Agrees with Poster 4 and everyone else afterwards follows

Soon the thread just becomes a hate thread for Piplup until the thread is closed when the episode airs.

Lather...Rinse....Repeat for the next one

Chelc

...SO 8D

who think the next pokemon thread should include team rocket so we only have one?

y/n opinions please. anime spoilers has way too many stickies. trying to narrow it down. lol.

Torpoleon

I think the next Pokemon thread should have Team Rocket too. It has other bad guys. There are a lot of stickies. Also, would it be a good idea for the Evolution and Battle Record threads to be one?

Chelc

^Stickied them a little bit ago. =]

Sticky: The Official Anime Caption Thread V.2
Sticky: Next Pokémon Thread V2 ~ AKA The Freakin' Capture Thread
Sticky: Official Battle Record Thread
Sticky: Shinji/Paul Discussion Thread
Sticky: Official Evolution Record
Sticky: The Big Animé Move Catalog v.3
Sticky: Remaining Sinnoh Pokemon to Debut
Sticky: The "What Attacks Should They Learn?" Thread
Sticky: Future Dub Title Guess Thread V2
Sticky: Team Rocket's Next Pokémon - Catch/Leave V2
Sticky: Arceus: To a Conquering Spacetime - Speculation Thread V2

Pretty soon it will look like this:

Sticky: The Official Anime Caption Thread V.2
Sticky: Next Pokémon Thread V3
Sticky: Shinji/Paul Discussion Thread
Sticky: Official Evolution Record
Sticky: The Big Animé Move Catalog v.3
Sticky: Remaining Sinnoh Pokemon to Debut
Sticky: The "What Attacks Should They Learn?" Thread
Sticky: Future Dub Title Guess Thread V2
Sticky: Team Rocket's Next Pokémon - Catch/Leave V2
Sticky: Arceus: To a Conquering Spacetime - Speculation Thread V2

because now that everyone knows about the Paul thread I can unsticky it, and pretty soon there will be a thread in Episode Discussion for Movie 12. and if we're combining TR and main cast together for the new Next Pokemon thread, well, that will help, too. axing 3 of the stickies is a start, but 8 stickies is still too much, at least imo.

I also think the What Attacks Should They Learn? thread should be moved to Anime Polls, because a lot of people don't like to put a lot of...thought into their posts there lol. y/n? it seems like a lot of people use it for a postcount +1 thread sadly. :(

What threads do you guys feel should stay stickied? Which ones should not? Should they all stay stickied? Should we move some of these threads to this forum to prevent having so many in Anime Spoilers?

Torpoleon

Well now the Evolution Record thread is closed. Eventually, the Reamining Pokemon to Debut thread will be closed, when pretty much all of the Sinnoh Pokemon have aired. It should be closed when the 5th Generation starts.(If there is one)

The "What Attacks Should They Learn?"Thread, as you said, Chelc should go to Anime Polls. We don't need the Shinji/Paul Discusion thread. We don't even need any threads really on him. By the time the 5th Gen starts, it should look like this:

Sticky: The Official Anime Caption Thread V2
Sticky: Next Pokemon Thread V3(Started over to add TR)
Sticky:The Big Anime Move Catalog V3

I also think the Dub Title Guess thread is useless. People can just think of random dub titles making it a post count+1 thread. Four seems good. Sound good, Chelc? Oh and keep in mind that this is what it should be by the time the 5th Gen starts in Japan.

randomspot555

Chelc, I edited my spoilers/speculation FAQ. Made some clarifications and added some non-Pokemon examples of spoilers vs speculation.

Chelc

Well now the Evolution Record thread is closed. Eventually, the Reamining Pokemon to Debut thread will be closed, when pretty much all of the Sinnoh Pokemon have aired. It should be closed when the 5th Generation starts.(If there is one)

The "What Attacks Should They Learn?"Thread, as you said, Chelc should go to Anime Polls. We don't need the Shinji/Paul Discusion thread. We don't even need any threads really on him. By the time the 5th Gen starts, it should look like this:

Sticky: The Official Anime Caption Thread V2
Sticky: Next Pokemon Thread V3(Started over to add TR)
Sticky:The Big Anime Move Catalog V3

I also think the Dub Title Guess thread is useless. People can just think of random dub titles making it a post count+1 thread. Four seems good. Sound good, Chelc? Oh and keep in mind that this is what it should be by the time the 5th Gen starts in Japan.

Alright. I moved Dub Title Guess Thread and What Attacks Should They Learn Thread to spoilers. Like you said, I closed the Evolution thread, and I unstickied the Paul thread to stop the *****ing.

I also unstickied threads in Anime Polls that did not receive many replies. Saved the ones with the most replies. Check it out and let me know what you guys think. :)

On Friday I'll choose the owner of the new Next Pokemon Thread, and soon the Movie 12 thread can be closed.

So it will be like this:

Caption Thread
Next Pokemon Thread V3
Big Anime Move Catalog
Battle Record Thread
Remaining Sinnoh Pokemon to Debut
+randomspot's speculation FAQ.

Like you said, I can take down the Remaining Sinnoh Pokemon to Debut thread after Sinnoh ends. So either way, I think the sticky situation is good now. :p Yay. Thank you for your help, deathseer and Torpoleon. ^_^

randomspot, your FAQ is good to go! :) Post it whenever you're ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.