• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Banned Topics + Post Main/Spoilers/Polls Inputs Here! (Updated: 12/14/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomspot555

While you're here, you may want to read the Rules & FAQs sticky. It's also full of fun things you should know!

The reason the FAQ exists is because little to no good, quality discussion can be derived from these topics. They're either done to death and thus no new ground to cover, or are stupi...er, simple questions that can be answered in the Single Anime Questions. Maybe even both.

Now this doesn't mean that these topics can not warrant discussion. If you REALLY think you've got a new, unique perspective, PM or VM a mod. If it's actually going to be part of an upcoming episode, or an episode that has only aired in Japan, then there's the Spoilers forum. Either way, contact a mod!

Some examples of these (but certainly not limited to) are the following:

Dub vs raw/japanese version: It's not a different show, it's not filled with blood or gore or sophisticated plots that the dub neuters. There are differences in tweaks of language (as any translation of anything will inevitably have), and the music is different for some reason or another. Still the same show.

Misty: It's been confirmed that she won't come back as a main cast member. It can't get much more official than that. If you need to talk about how million of people will flock back to the anime and stop boycotting everything Pokemon when she returns, there is a Misty club in the Club forums.

OP Edit: This also goes for endless complaining and whining on the other female leads too. Constructive discussion can be done, but it most often leads to flaming. PM a mod before opening a discussion on these roles.

Ash complaints:
Releases all his good Pokemon
COME BACK PIDGEOT (or Lapras or Butterfree)
Never catches legends
Sucks at life
UPDATE: Pikachu's fluctuating power
Pikachu's presence in general

All of these lead to no discussion and are rarely expressed in an intelligent manner. Even in threads where there is discussion about Ash as a long term character (Satoshi Haters thread), a great number of anti-Ash posts fit this spammy nonsense. This leads basically into:

Old plots never to be heard from again: Professor Ivy/Brock/What happened, GS Ball, any COTD story line
*If you honestly have NO CLUE what happened to Ivy and Brock, you need to re-watch the last episode of Orange Island Saga. It's practically spelled out for you.
*Read the interview with the artists over at Pokebeach
*Return of characters of the day (CotDs). We're not likely to hear from COTD again, especially if the region they debuted in is no longer the current region.

Shippings and Fan Fic: This hasn't been a rash problem, but it still deserves mention. There's a reason why these things have their own section, because they really aren't part of the anime. Shippings are the result of their fans reading what they want to see in the scenes they cite. Where most would only see "friendship rox!" (the theme of Pokemon), they'll see something romantic. So it'd just turn into a flame war. Fortunately, there's a shipping forum where all that talk can go.
Fan Fic isn't part of any continuity, so it gets it's own place too.

Misty/May/Dawn Debates [added by Chelc]: These go NOWHERE. Everyone has their own personal preference. Each girl is a good character, none of them are "bad" or whatever. Don't make these threads. They just end in flame wars, and I have to close the thread, and give infractions, and it's just not fun.

I HATE PIPLUP! IT SHOULD DIE! [added by Chelc]: Not only are these topics immature, but it's not like the writers even care, lol. If you hate Piplup, fine, but don't be vocal about it. Otherwise you'll be infracted for flaming/bashing a character. :)
Juputoru Update: This applies for any Pokemon, not just Piplup. It applies to human characters too. I've been seeing a lot of character bashing lately, and I'd like to remind you all that whining and moaning about how much you hate a given character is against the rules. You're allowed to have your likes and dislikes, but insulting certain characters every chance you get is a surefire way to get on everyone's nerves.

Character Replacements [added by Kiori]: Most people are sick and tired of the fued that is going on in the forum, including the staffs. People can't refrain from bashing/flaming others as well as characters. No more talking about replacements for main characters, thanks.

See, the cool think is these can be discussed, just not here. Many of these "banned" topics even have a place on SPPF, just don't discuss them here, please. Kthxbye.

This list will be updated and revised, especially after the FAQ is updated.

If you guys think any other topics should be mentioned, feel free to post and I'll take it into consideration, and mods are free to edit their own thoughts (though I'd prefer if they make their edits in a unique color or something like that).

Last edited by a moderator:

Rave

Banned
This page should be updated often to at least keep people informed and up to date.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
You know, not ALL voice actor talk leads to company-based complaining. And you're aware, of course, that in some languages that wouldn't even be an issue.

It seems when a general topic like "voices" or "mistakes" comes up, everyone assumes it's only refering to the English dub, but seriously, there's a world of languages and versions out there.

randomspot555

You know, not ALL voice actor talk leads to company-based complaining. And you're aware, of course, that in some languages that wouldn't even be an issue.

It seems when a general topic like "voices" or "mistakes" comes up, everyone assumes it's only refering to the English dub, but seriously, there's a world of languages and versions out there.

My post specifically deals with the voice actor change. As to your point, it's true, there's other languages. But there aren't many people who speak Portugese here (Brazil dub), and the main reason the Japanese version is viewed is because it's the "raw" one.

That being said, if you have a VA thread that isn't endless complaining, submit it to the mods.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
All it says was that "voice actors" are off limits. And even discussing the English cast, not everything deals with the change. And even then, not all posts about the change are wanky.

randomspot555

All it says was that "voice actors" are off limits. And even discussing the English cast, not everything deals with the change. And even then, not all posts about the change are wanky.

But most are. If someone has a worthwhile subject worth posting, then they can submit it to the mods for approval.

As it says in my first post:

Now this doesn't mean that these topics can not warrant discussion. If you REALLY think you've got a new, unique perspective, PM a mod. If it's actually going to be part of an upcoming episode, or an episode that has only aired in Japan, then there's the Spoilers forum. Either way, PM a mod!

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
To be fair, guys, right after the words "Voice Actors", there's a few sentences so clearly referring to the English dub only. And while there could very well be reasonable posts about the matter, the sad truth is that it's flame bait in-waiting. Unfortunate that one crowd has to ruin it for the rest, but it's the same reason why many of these other topics are banned, such as polls about the lead female roles.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Are threads based on the show's voice acting really that much of an issue around here to begin with? Maybe my memory is a little shot, but I don't recall many threads of that nature cropping up in the first place, and even when they do, the comments don't usually lean solely towards the negative until later in their lives. And that's essentially what every other thread around this place is doomed to become anyway. Ironically, I've seen more maturity regarding the subject around here than I have at places like Bulbagarden, which is really saying something.

randomspot555

Are threads based on the show's voice acting really that much of an issue around here to begin with? Maybe my memory is a little shot, but I don't recall many threads of that nature cropping up in the first place, and even when they do, the comments don't usually lean solely towards the negative until later in their lives. And that's essentially what every other thread around this place is doomed to become anyway. Ironically, I've seen more maturity regarding the subject around here than I have at places like Bulbagarden, which is really saying something.

While excessive thread making exclusively on the subject doesn't happen often (and is quickly closed) , the problem with MANY of these topics is they de-rail a thread (and good discussion) about a different subject entirely. Satoshi Haters is filled with "omgers HE NEVER CATCHES TEH LEGENDSZ" posts, Brock threads have been de-railed into threads about something other than Brock, and so on.

The point of this post is to encourage people to stay on topic, and to point where these discussion CAN occur. Clubs, VM/PM, social networks, etc... But these topics (usually) don't work well in PAD.

If quality discussions can be made, then the mods will let them pending approval. But for better or for worse, these threads usually don't go well, and rule abiding members have to suffer restrictions because others don't follow the rules.

Now if you can actually link to discussions that go well on these topics, then please do. But from my observation, these don't happen often, if ever.

Last edited:

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
I've seen more voice topics than usual over the last month or so, and other threads like the "Satoshi Haters" topic have actually evolved into VA-bashing parties as they progress at points. To be fair to Sovagarden, though, they actually put up an ugly, capitalized header in the forum stating the ban on VA talk, so while their Cult of Veronica may be more crazed and delusional than even the worst offenders here, making episode review threads unapproachable, they at least took the appropriate Communist action against such mind-boggling discussion.

Many other topics that derail into such discussions as which cast member looks kinkiest in a Speedo can generally be salvaged, especially if it's an epsiode speculation thread or title reveal.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I remember the problem on BMG was that all the VA debates ended up as people complaining about the amount of "Taylor lines" Sarah did, whatever that means.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I remember the problem on BMG was that all the VA debates ended up as people complaining about the amount of "Taylor lines" Sarah did, whatever that means.

Sounds like they're complaining about how many lines Sarah Natochenny did that they feel the original VA, Veronica Taylor, was more deserving of doing it.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Now if you can actually link to discussions that go well on these topics, then please do. But from my observation, these don't happen often, if ever.

‘The Voices’ thread halfway down the page isn’t all bad. Granted, it’s hardly a shining example of quality, but for the most part, it seems fairly civilised. There’s only one ‘voice actors must die!’ comment, afterall!

Of course, that's not to say I don't agree with you. If it's got the potential to cause senseless babble, I suppose precuations should be made. I just wasn't aware that it was as bad as was.

people complaining about the amount of "Taylor lines"
Ahh. Too many garment related puns, right?

Chelc

Can we also add "Will Dawn make it to the Sinnoh Grand Festival?" and "Will Piplup ever evolve?!" as banned topics? Before/if we do, I'd just like everyone's input. Thanks. :]

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Can we also add "Will Dawn make it to the Sinnoh Grand Festival?" and "Will Piplup ever evolve?!" as banned topics? Before/if we do, I'd just like everyone's input. Thanks. :]

Well, given the weird twists and turns DP has had, I don't know what to think (though I may be thinking too much into this (very likely))

Really, to put shortly: For now, it should be banned. When we get near the end of Sinnoh and the end of the DP saga, respectively, then we should be able to infer with what we have at that point in time.

randomspot555

Well, given the weird twists and turns DP has had, I don't know what to think (though I may be thinking too much into this (very likely))

Really, to put shortly: For now, it should be banned. When we get near the end of Sinnoh and the end of the DP saga, respectively, then we should be able to infer with what we have at that point in time.

I could've sworn I read a translated interview (not Pokebeach) where someone from the anime said Piplup would never evolve because it's evolutions aren't "cute enough."

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I could've sworn I read a translated interview (not Pokebeach) where someone from the anime said Piplup would never evolve because it's evolutions aren't "cute enough."

Well, screw my option then. I haven't seen any other interview except the one provided by Pokebeach, where it said that Piplup wouldn't be evolving "anytime soon." Mind linking that?

randomspot555

No link. I only remember seeing it in a very old thread over at another gaming forum. I'll try to dig it up, but it isn't likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.