• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Barry's Busting Out All Over! (569)

wind21

That was a pretty crazy review last night, even for me. And I also got the episode number wrong for the one I was referencing to: it's dp 180 and not dp 181.

Well, hopefully this one will be a little more normal.

This episode is probably one of the best and most memorable episodes in Sinnoh, as it introduces Barry. Barry's not a "serious" rival, in the sense that right off the bat Ash defeats him. But he's such a fun character, that it really doesn't matter. Paul can be the serious rival; Barry has his place being the funny one (although he certainly has decent skills as a trainer). So, I think with this episode, Ash's memorable rivals have all been introduced. Barry, and Paul are the obvious ones; and there's one more, who it wasn't really clear right at this time that he would be Ash's rival at the league-but he's been shown. So, all of the pieces of Sinnoh are starting to fall into place, at least from Ash's perspective.

The battle itself is the most physical battle I think that's been shown up to this pt; alot of the battle scenes were shown in the preview for this episode, and I remember thinking how cool this episode was going to be. And this is quite a high-level pokemon battle, in terms of the pokemon used. Barry uses 3 fully evolved pokemon, and Ash uses Gliscor (speaking of Gliscor, it's really been shown a lot in the past few episodes) and Pikachu, which are fully evolved pokemon for him. So, at least in terms of the pokemon lineup, this isn't too far off what I would have expected to see at a league battle. And considering this is taking place when Ash has yet to even win his 5th gym badge, I really started to think at this time Ash just might win this League.

Sort of a side note, and so that anyone who reads this can see how I can let my imagination run away a little bit, but before the Sinnoh League, we were told some information about one of the pokemon that would be used by a trainer Ash would face in the league. It was sort of general, so there was a good deal of guessing and stuff over the actual identity of the pokemon. In the episode where Ash was at the Sinnoh League Pokemon Center to register, we were shown a pokemon that fit the description. Well, considering who that pokemon was, it was really funny how it was shown-nobody seemed to mind at all, or payed any attention to it. And of course, that was strange. But I actually managed to rationalize it, with the reasoning that's sort of shown in this episode right here: technology. Barry saw Ash on tv competing in the Tag Battle Comp (and other characters have too; same with Dawn's contests), and so that's how he knew him. So back to the future, I thought, "Well, no wonder that no one gave that pokemon a look. I'm sure they already saw it on tv. That makes sense." Well, in the end, that pokemon turned out to be a complete red herring; there was actually another pokemon instead that was to fit the description, and when the Sinnoh League crowd saw it, they were absolutely stunned-the reaction you would expect. So, I guess sometimes personal stupidity is part of the fun of trying to analyze stuff.

Okay, back to this episode. The serious stuff relates to Ash seeing that Barry wants to be just like Paul. Once Ash realizes that, he's quite bothered, especially when Barry questions Ash about who won their battle. The writers cheat us even more than usual here, as we can't see Ash's face when Barry places his arms on Ash's shoulders in excitement (and a little fear, too, that Ash might be THAT good) and asks about the result. But I think Ash must have had a bit of dejected look, b/c Barry draws the conclusion that Ash didn't win, and he probably didn't have much of a chance. This fires up Ash a little, and before you know it, the two are battling each other.

Once Ash is down to his last pokemon, he decides to use Pikachu, telling it that he needs to win here if he's going to beat Fantina. I think this shows just how much what happened last episode really bothers him. He's really not sure if his style of training is "right," and so he sees this battle as his test. If Ash had lost this battle, I really wonder how he would have taken it; it's sort of like wondering what would have happened if Dawn had lost to May at the Wallace Cup. I think he would have accepted losing, but then he would also, in his mind, have had to accept that Paul was right to great extent, and that would have hurt him very, very much. He probably wouldn't have been the same character afterwards. He probably isn't the same character afterwards here, either; I think he gains a great deal of confidence from this victory, and this is one of his most important battles in Sinnoh. Sure, he battles Paul later on, and Barry, and some other people. And he loses a few times after this..., but he's okay. Somehow, around this period of episodes, he really begins to feel comfortable with himself, that the way he's training is the best way for him. I think the best example of how he changes is when both Barry and Paul show up in the same episode way down the road. Ash is again asked by Barry about the results of a battle with Paul, and this time Ash is able to answer that Paul is really strong-and also, I think in the way Ash answers that time, you can tell he feels he himself is really strong too. He's not scared of losing to Paul anymore, b/c a loss, at that time in the show, does not mean that Ash is "wrong" for the way he trains his pokemon.

With all of that said, Ash very nearly loses here, and Pikachu comes through for him in a very big way. This is, I think, Pikachu's first real serious contribution to Ash's success in Sinnoh since the battle against Roark, which feels like a really, really long time ago. And I think Pikachu was the absolute right pokemon that should have been used in this battle (which isn't always the case in big battles, I feel; I think Pikachu was overused in the Sinnoh League), b/c Ash feels he needs to win. I feel like (and this is an important plot point to an extent in Sinnoh for Ash, and not just simply a "we need to showcase new pokemon" by the writers) for the last part of this particular battle, Ash would not have hesitated to use Charizard or Sceptile or one of his pokemon from previous regions if he had the pokeball with him; he's that determined to win this battle. And Pikachu really senses that, I think; and that's why it's able to recover from what should have been a hyper beam KO, and completely turn the tables around. I really think this is one of Pikachu's finest moments in Sinnoh, and a great show of how much Ash trusts it to come through in a battle he feels like he has to win. But the fact that it nearly doesn't it is also a nice touch, b/c Pikachu doesn't feel overpowered-just based on types, it should win this battle. And so, in order for Ash to succeed in winning the Sinnoh League, he's got to train his other Sinnoh pokemon and help them become as strong as they can be. I feel like Pikachu is as strong as it will be; and I don't think it's too big of a stretch to say that the way Pikachu is shown in this episode is probably, skills-wise, the same way it shows up in the Sinnoh League. His other Sinnoh pokemon, though, although some maybe not as strong as Pikachu right now, can grow to maybe be even stronger in the end.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was cool. It was great to finally see my favorite fully evolved starter Empoleon for the 1st time. Empoleon looks awesome! It was great to see Pikachu and Empoleon have a battle. Too bad Pikachu won however... It's great to see that Empoleon knew Hydro Cannon and Drill Peck. It was great to see Barry for the 1st time. He is so funny in this episode, pretending to fine Ash. Barry is one major hyperactive trainer, reminds me a bit of Morrison. It's great to find out that James' ex-Cacnea finally mastered Drain Punch.

95/100

This episode was cool. It was great to finally see my favorite fully evolved starter Empoleon for the 1st time. Empoleon looks awesome! It was great to see Pikachu and Empoleon have a battle. Too bad Pikachu won however... It's great to see that Empoleon knew Hydro Cannon and Drill Peck. It was great to see Barry for the 1st time. He is so funny in this episode, pretending to fine Ash. Barry is one major hyperactive trainer, reminds me a bit of Morrison. It's great to find out that James' ex-Cacnea finally mastered Drain Punch.

95/100

What's so bad about Pikachu beating Empoleon?

Barrys Dub voice made me want to go to whatever the name of the dubbing company is and shoot them all with snipers then rip their heads off and laugh like a nutjob

Barry also fails for a trainer

95/100

Why is it "too bad that Pikachu won"? Please don't tell me you wanted him to lose to an Empoleon. XD

Lasaro

Moustache Cash Stash
Loved Jun in the games. Fell in love with him after seeing this episode and onward. He turned into my favorite Pokemon character. Also, the title "Barry's Busting Out All Over!" never sounded right to me. Lmao.

Barry's Staraptor is an insult to the species. It's a fully evolved pokemon. It should be able to beat a Chimchar. But, Barry was annoying so I rooted for Chimchar anyway. The battle was nice and Chimchar and Pikachu both got nice wins, but I wish Gliscor had beaten Roserade. Barry also fails for a trainer. 7/10

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I absolutely loved my sweetheart Barry. I thought he was charming and the way he admired Paul was neat. I also loved seeing Fantina hang out with Ash and friends for a while during Team Rocket's usual schemes. I cackled when Chimchar beat Barry's Staraptor, but lost to Roserade. Roserade and Gliscor knocking each other out was also funny.

I find it odd how Barry is being introduced in the show at almost halfway through Diamond & Pearl.
You'd think rivals to the main character would make their entrance more around the beginning.

JudySpell

Banned
Barry was entertaining but kind of annoying still when he was in a rush. I thought his team was solid so his loss to Ash seemed bogus. 6/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Cool we got to see Barry's debut and it was funny how Dawn was impressed by his Poketch ha ha. James' reaction to Barry battling Cacnea was cute, plus I was surprised when Chimchar beat Staraptor.

My favorite scene was when Ash and Barry crashed into each other + Barry's idolization of Paul was odd since I didn't think Barry would like a jerk trainer.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I must be the only person in the fandom who didn't care for Barry lol. I'm glad they kept his impatient nature intact, though. I think the only time I'll ever like him is when he meets Paul.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Barry's TPCI voice was a perfect fit for his hasty personality. I loved how they used the "fine" line from the game and his counting down the time. And man, he has a man crush on Paul. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a Paul shrine in his backpack.

Barry had a knack for impatience which was exaggerated here to the extreme. Even in the games, he wasn't as annoying when he was in a hurry. So I didn't like him much here.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Barry had a knack for impatience which was exaggerated here to the extreme. Even in the games, he wasn't as annoying when he was in a hurry. So I didn't like him much here.

Lol, well he was kinda overly hyper, though it was a good thing in a way since Ash's other rivals weren't like him. At least Barry was different and added something new. :p

ZilverLox

Banned
Barry was amazing! He was thrilling to watch and his English voice sounded so perfect. One thing I loved most of all was how he knew who Paul was and how he idolized him. I'm glad Ash won and beat Barry. :)

Leonhart

Imagineer
So as Satoshi approached the Yosuga Gym, he once again crashed into something, only this time it was Jun. I liked Jun's hyper personality, as well as how he venerated Shinji. Hikari not knowing him from Futaba Town was odd, although I smiled when she noticed Jun's new model of Poketch. Jun versus Satoshi was intriguing, and I especially admired Emperte.