• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Barry's Busting Out All Over! (569)

Daizy

I call you honey
Barry's English voice was a bit old sounding for me but he's so funny. Hopefully he appears more throughout DP. I never said this before, but in this saga I do like what they did to Ash's rivals.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Looking back at this episode, I don't quite get what Melissa's purpose was. Jun debuted here so him getting his share of the limelight made sense, yet Melissa seemed slightly out of place to me.

While I question Barry's state of mind with him idolizing Paul of all people, that's immediately canceled out by the fact that the dub kept his personality intact even though he's a bit more bratty than his video game counterpart. Also the guy's got good taste in Pokemon, even if it technically is the same team as the one in the games (well half so far).

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
While I question Barry's state of mind with him idolizing Paul of all people, that's immediately canceled out by the fact that the dub kept his personality intact even though he's a bit more bratty than his video game counterpart. Also the guy's got good taste in Pokemon, even if it technically is the same team as the one in the games (well half so far).

His team was rather bland when you think about it since he was using his in-game Pokemon, and they weren't exactly the most creative bunch of Pokemon that we got in Gen IV. I did like his Emperte at least, because we hadn't seen one in the main anime before and it was at least a strong battler.

I love Barry’s English voice. The debut of an comedy icon.

beanDude

Reviewer
Barry is a really fun character, the only thing I wish they had him do less was his "I'm gonna fine you!" line. Obviously its a reference to what the Pearl/Diamond rival says in the games, but there, its just something that he says a couple of times at the beginning of the game. In his first episode, it was fine (no pun intended), but after that, they didn't need to keep doing it so many times.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Barry is Paul’s biggest fanboy, he’s just like me fr

Barry is so funny like genuinely I love this guy. In the games, anime, whatever he’s just iconic. I honestly think his anime character is the best out of them all; the Paul worship and him looking down on everyone else is both entertaining and also completely makes sense when you look at his character. That idolization plus his rushed outlook on getting stronger Pokémon perfectly shows what he’s all about and obviously gives him conflict with Ash; another total opposite of him. Really apparent with how he battles, it’s just ramming into everything with extra power and fully evolved Pokémon because he can’t be bothered to waste time on defense.

(Cacnea mastering Drain Punch and James getting super emotional about it was the best part of the episode though let’s be clear)

Ash inviting Barry at the end to come watch his battle with Fantina was so good, I miss aggressive and cocky Ash nowadays. Idc about progression, it was a fun defining trait to see

Barry is Paul’s biggest fanboy, he’s just like me fr

Barry is so funny like genuinely I love this guy. In the games, anime, whatever he’s just iconic. I honestly think his anime character is the best out of them all; the Paul worship and him looking down on everyone else is both entertaining and also completely makes sense when you look at his character. That idolization plus his rushed outlook on getting stronger Pokémon perfectly shows what he’s all about and obviously gives him conflict with Ash; another total opposite of him. Really apparent with how he battles, it’s just ramming into everything with extra power and fully evolved Pokémon because he can’t be bothered to waste time on defense.

(Cacnea mastering Drain Punch and James getting super emotional about it was the best part of the episode though let’s be clear)

Ash inviting Barry at the end to come watch his battle with Fantina was so good, I miss aggressive and cocky Ash nowadays. Idc about progression, it was a fun defining trait to see
You watch sub or dub?
I love Barry’s English VA

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Barry is such a silly & funny character, I can’t help but enjoy every episode he is in. I liked how he interrupted team rocket, like yeah we get it lol. I do wish they had spent less time with TR so the battle with Ash was a little longer. It is also amazing the effect Paul has on Ash at this point. When Barry asks if he lost or won his battles against him, his semblance completely drops. This was Ash at his peak as a character.