1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Batle of the Pacific (NU/RU pokemon VS. OU Rain team)

Discussion in 'Warstories' started by jireh the provider, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jireh the provider

jireh the provider Video Game Designer

Philippines VS. American War (Double battle Pokemon Style) battling it out for Philippines as part of the global territory.

See the unsung battle here

Enough about history ...

Just recently, I am taking my semi competitive competitive team for another fun in the new double battle function of Pokemon Online (not the VGC kind). But on one unexpected encounter, the worst happens to me. That one opponent I have to face ... has a bundle of strategic pokemon that plays a devastating role in the Realm of Double Battles. The worst of all, 3 of them are from OU, one of them is NU, the other 2 are from UU. It really was a grim situation to my team not based on a specific teamwork like my opponent does.

An Emphasis. My opponent's strategy is more common and better than my less planned team of my favorites. So my opponent has a better chance to win against me. I see him who's more experienced than I do myself.

Thus, the battle for Pacific began in the form of a Pokemon Battle.

Versus

Team Profile:
    Walrein (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 240 SDef / 236 HP / 8 SAtk / 12 Spd / 12 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Substitute
    - Protect
    - Toxic
    - Frost Breath

I know I gave him a really awkward mix of stats. But his purpose stays the same. Stall out the enemy, minus the hail. It's built to take more on the SP. attackers and the frost breath serves as a powerful attack to cripple enemies it con take down. Thick fat acts as a sponge for my Camerupt's Lave Plume

Cinccino (F) @ King's Rock
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Seed
    - Rock Blast
    - Tail Slap
    - Substitute

The substitute acts as cover after my Ampharos does the paralysis effects. Her purpose is common. Sweep as much as she can. But with a gimmick. I gave her kings rock in order for me to flinch her enemies. The fun part about it is that I'm confident on giving her Kings Rock since there is a good chance that one out of the five attacks could flinch the enemy, which acts like a little Iron Head from Jirachi.

Ampharos (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Static
    EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def
    Bold Nature
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt
    - Cotton Guard
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Ahh Ampharos. She's my "Paralysis plat former". Paralyze all of her enemies. With the Boltbeam coverage tactic, she can fend off enemies in the process. but I wanted her to be the pokemon that will put pressure to her enemies. with Cotton Guard, she can increase her defense to take on contact physical attacks and induce more paralysis via static. 252 HP for as much health as possible. Works in Conjunction with Walrein and Camerupt

Serperior (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 HP / 126 SDef / 130 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Coil
    - Aqua Tail
    - Leaf Blade
    - Glare

Why do I have Glare you ask? Same purpose as Ampharos. Paralyze, Beef her up with Coil (about 2 should do enough), and begin sweeping. I had to give her a bit of SP. Defense to increase her survival since Coil supports her non EV'd Defense stat. Leaf blade is for the critical chance and same type bonus.

Gardevoir (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Psychic
    - Thunderbolt
    - Wish

She is for versatility. In this case, she is my NU pokemon for Jirachi. Calm mind offense with wish for healing purposes. Psychic and Thunderbolt are my attacks of choice. Synchronize is for returning statuses.

Camerupt (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Solid Rock
    EVs: 252 HP / 118 SDef / 138 Def
    Modest Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power

Camerupt is simplified in one term. Stealth Rock fodder. Lava plume for burns and Earth power for stab. Roar is rather a nice gimmick to blow out a beefer (a power upping pokemon ala Swords dance and the like) or a breaker of switching abuse. My best bet to terminate electric types.

On the first set, I brought out Ampharos (paralysis purpose) and Camerupt (to set up stealth rocks). Then My opponent brought up Whimsicott and Terrakion. In my mind, I'm like swearing that I'll lose in an instant since there's the Tailwind/ Beat up + Rock Slide strategy that will KILL US ALL!

Turn 1:

This turn was rather a twisty one. I wanted to paralyze terrakion. But what never came to my mind was thundurus which absorbed my T-wave. My opponent got my idea of slowing down terrakion. So after whimsy paralyzed my camerupt [not like I need him to be quick], I used Lava plume on everyone except camerupt. I'm like "facepalm. I should have had heat wave." But as Ampharos was hit, she got burned which gave Whimsy no chance to cripple Ampharos when I did it myself.

Turn 2:

I knew what to do at this point the moment I saw thundurus. I went an all out attack targeting thundurus. Using my HP Ice and Lava Plume, I KO'd him. But Samurott took Whimsy's place. But that switch gave me a new type of plan. I want camerupt to induce a burn to the upcoming pokemon. Too bad it didn't happen.

Turn 3:
    I was a bit dazed to see a tank-ish Samurott. Normally, I'd let Camerupt take the upcoming hit. but I somehow want him to face Whimsicott and Jirachi later on. Which Is why I brought my Walrein. At first, I thought Tornadus would be the Bulk up acrobatics kind. How wrong am I, they are setting up the rain and Samurott managed to beef up. All I could do was Thunderbolt Samurott since I saw the swords dance, something in my mind screams that "samurott and Tornadus were Zapfore's central pokemon"

Turn 4:

This turn was "Oh god it's now against my favor". That hidden power from tornadus is a special sweeper. All I did to Walrein was to use toxic on Tornadus since samurott had his health down. I thought that static will activate when aqua jet KO'ed Ampharos. It didn't again. I felt that my plan was rather wrecked since I fear Terrakion and Jirachi greatly in the rain. Only my Cinccino can out speed many of them. But I noticed that Tornadus has life orb which reduces his durability. My new plan was TO HOLD THE LINE until TORNADUS DIES from Toxic.

Turn 5:

I was thinking at first that Tornadus is slower than serperior. But I forgot that my Serperior is NOT 252 no speed. Not even the defensive EV's I gave her helped her survive the hurricane. I tried revenge killing it with frost breath. But no. It missed. But tornadus is close to fainting. Just have to hold on a little more. This is when I brought out MY CENTER POKEMON! Cinccino herself.

Turn 6:

This moment was rather the critical moment of them all. My first thought was that Both Tornadus and Samurott fear my Cinccino. I knew that thought but I thought they want her out first by ganging her up. Seems not to be the case because Samurott's Swords Danced Aqua jet IN THE RAIN did NOT KO HER surprisingly, and she defeated the bigger warrior with bullet seed. I was thinking that walrein can bravely take a hurricane and retaliate with frost breath. Oh how wrong I was. Should have used protect.

Turn 7:

In this part was the worst case scenario for me. After tornadus died from poison (who used Icy wind against both of us but missed Cinccino surprisingly) and my Cinccino Nearly KO'd Terrakion (I wanted Terrakion to be flinched by the King's Rock gimmick that I gave to Cinccino), my tun becomes a 2 vs 3 battle . I'm at a huge disadvantage here. Whimsicott may be the one who'll defeat us or Terrakion and Jirachi can go Spartan against my Gardevoir and Paralyzed Camerupt.

Turn 8:

This is the very turn that I made a very very risky choice. I need Camerupt to attack Jirachi with Earth Power Or else Gardevoir will struggle on her own againt my favorite legendary pokemon. I decided to push my luck to the highest. that turn was a gamble that can turn the tables for me.

I figured that Terrakion will deal with Camerupt so I dealt him with Gardevoir and KO him. But what startled me is Terrakion using Zen Headbutt on Terrakion. Now I know he is taking Iron Head Jirachi's role. My opponent has a Jirachi that use DOOM DESIRE. Something tells me she (Jirachi) is a stall type and let doom desire kill her opponents.

So I KO'd Terrakion with Psychic from Gardevoir. Then Camerupt used Earth Power [gladly he did not get flinched from the Zen Headbutt] on Jirachi. But IT CRITICALLY HITS JIRACHI AND ONE HIT KO'S HER! I'm like so rejoiced that my gamble has paid off. Keep in mind my Camerupt has no SP. Attack EVs, it only has a modest nature to hit something hard

So all that's left on the battlefield would be Gardevoir and Camerupt Versus Whimsicott

Turn 9:

You know what happens at this turn. but WOW!

I crushed a powerful strategy with my less prepared team! i never expected to win this kind of Fight with a team of NU and RU Pokemon. I never even thought that its possible. Oh My Gosh! what a glorious day to me and my pokemon. We just won one of many IMPOSSIBLE BATTLES. This is personally, one of my hardest battles in my life

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Good job I had a similar battle versing giratina groundon rayquasa and terrakion I had serpirior samurott tyranitar and volcarona

3. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Well-Known Member

Dude, your opponent was using Doom Desire Jirachi. Let's not get full of ourselves here.

As for the battle, the presentation was pretty good. I get the feeling your opponent was rather new, and maybe didn't have much experience outside OU because he seemed to have no idea how to deal with your Pokemon. Also he used some pretty meh strategies (like the aforementioned Doom Desire Jirachi), but then again your entire team was NU/RU so it was a pretty fair battle. Nice win nonetheless.

Also, I have no idea how you expect Gardevoir to counter Jirachi, especially as it's 2HKO'd by Iron Head. So, in other words, when your opponent runs a standard Jirachi and not some gimmicky POS it won't work.

4. jireh the provider

jireh the provider Video Game Designer

I know that too. Even I find it odd as to find a Doom desire Jirachi. Back then, I thought that my oppoonent's Jirachi was a Special defensive variant used against Tornadus Therian when he's still OU before the banning. Even I know Gardevoir has no chance against her (the legendary wish maker) at all. So surprised

Like... this sort of set.
    252 HP and SP. Def, 4 Sp. Attack.
    -Thunder
    -Wish
    -Calm Mind
    -Psychic