• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Baton Pass

irock245

She wants it
With all the taunting leads going around, I've seen a new strategy poping up on msogon server. Might not be new, but it's sure thet first itme i've seen it. It involes baton passing teams. It uses ninjask, vaporeon(optional), and espeon. Ninjask gets some speed boosts up, while protecting, then baton passes to espeon, who tankes the incoming taunt(unless its thunderus) and the opponent gets taunted. Espeon then cm's and baton passes to vaporeon, or the recipient. Vaporeon acid armors, then baton passes again to what ever recipient. He then sweeps. I've been battlnig this a lot more often. It's risk-return. Thunderus f*cks it over, mainly because i taunt t while they protect, then t-bolt while they baton pass and get their espeon owned. But do you think it could be a viable strategy?

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
Truthfully it's one of the most broken strategies out there right now. I don't know why it wasn't banned this round, but it's definitely gone next round. They're going to have to do a complex ban, because Espeon is what makes it broken but Espeon in itself isn't broken.

Psycho Cut

Truthfully it's one of the most broken strategies out there right now. I don't know why it wasn't banned this round, but it's definitely gone next round. They're going to have to do a complex ban, because Espeon is what makes it broken but Espeon in itself isn't broken.
In all honesty, it's not that broken. With team viewer, you can see that your opponent is using a ninjask and unless you were born yesterday, you'll figure out his strategy and put out your taunting lead. Even if you're not using team viewer, you can switch and taunt before ninjask gets to baton pass.

Ilan

Dragon tail,haze,taunt,circle throw,roar,whirlwind.
all those destroy a baton pass team while espeon is immune to statuses it can still get killed by most physical and vaporeon can get hazed so there is no need for ban really and yeah even a +6 espeon isn't that dangerous it is just fast use tyranitar and you can kill it

The thing about Baton Pass teams is that they're generally played by idiots. Just today I faced someone who used a Moody Smeargle on his Baton Pass team.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Espeon's what makes Baton Pass broken. Other than that, it's fine.

PokeMaster366

Sometimes, the opponent will try to outfox you by giving the Baton Passer a Mental Herb instead of a Focus Sash, so that can be a contributing factor to the ban as well.

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
In all honesty, it's not that broken. With team viewer, you can see that your opponent is using a ninjask and unless you were born yesterday, you'll figure out his strategy and put out your taunting lead. Even if you're not using team viewer, you can switch and taunt before ninjask gets to baton pass.

Well obviously the suspect voters over at Smogon must think so, because it got a simple majority this round and I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see it go next round.

A Shell Smash Gorebyss with White Herb baton passes to a CM Espeon baton basses to an SD Ninjask baton basses to an Acid Armor Vaporeon baton passes to a Lum Berry Haxorus. It's gg from there.

Makaveli

Gone for Good.
Not really, Thundurus rapes any Baton Pass team because it can outspeed Espeon and 2HKO it with Thunderbolt. It also Taunts Ninjask before it can do anything.

^ I agree with that, however not everyone packs a Prankster taunt user like Thundurus. The reason Baton pass is so horrible is that in the right hands it can be deadly. With the inclusion of Dw Volbeat its even more horrible now, Donut at one point just made a generic BP team and he was laddering with it no problem. The only way reliably to beat a BP team is too carry something like thundurus, or have a anti BP team which I do not think many people run.

^ I agree with that, however not everyone packs a Prankster taunt user like Thundurus. The reason Baton pass is so horrible is that in the right hands it can be deadly. With the inclusion of Dw Volbeat its even more horrible now, Donut at one point just made a generic BP team and he was laddering with it no problem. The only way reliably to beat a BP team is too carry something like thundurus, or have a anti BP team which I do not think many people run.

Well, if you predict a Baton Pass you can just phaze the recipient away on the Bpassing turn, and most teams have at least one phazer.

Makaveli

Gone for Good.
Magic Bounce espeon which is a staple of BP teams, if thats gone then yeah but apart from that you cannot roar it away. Keeping espeon alive has to be one of the most important things in a BP chain.

Magic Bounce espeon which is a staple of BP teams, if thats gone then yeah but apart from that you cannot roar it away. Keeping espeon alive has to be one of the most important things in a BP chain.

Dragon Tail helps with this, but sadly it can't hit through Substitute. If you can predict a pass to Espeon, use a powerful attack like Scizor's U-turn to silence it.

Makaveli

Gone for Good.
Silence it XD but yeah dragon tail does not hit through substitute otherwise it would be helpful. A smart BP player will know how to play around such pokemon, and espeon has a subpass oh lawd :/

mycooly

Banned
To be honest, with all these including espeon, volbeat, etc.
BP may actually get the banned hammer for this round of testing

PurpleSwampert

4th gen 8/10 skills
Baton Pass is deadly. Even without espeon, a common strategy from fourth gen was a smeargle lead that baton passed ingrain, so it couldn't be phazed out. Although, it would be smart to have taunt; (even if not priority, it shuts down BP leads as long as their atk move isnt SE on you) Because even if it can get a boost, it can't BP it. And btw, it's been around quite some time. Another nice way to counter it would be a Hazer, using the move Haze like Weezing is a good bulky example, also Milotic and even Vaporeon. But yeah Baton Pass teams are normally pretty broken, since you have to put certain moves on to fight against them. :\ personally I think they should be at least limited some way.

I know how Baton Pass to espeon is a gay great stragety, however with the right prediction it is easily stopped, for example, with the new prankster sableye taunt before then BP, then status and keep yourself at high HP so they wont beat you.

irock245

She wants it
usualy from my experience, if you kill the espeon, the opponent ragequits. i have never completed a battle with the opponent using this strategy, but i've won every battle with my thunderus.

mycooly

Banned
Well thundurus is banned so Baton pass may as well