• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Baton Pass

MikeHill005

Resistance Member
I recently got into competitive battling - well, if you count July as "recent." I really wanted to use a Baton Pass lead, since they seem to work pretty well. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem.

I found that, when looking for a Baton Passer, my options were quite limited. The only Baton Passers I could find that were relatively fast were Ninjask, Ambipom, and Jolteon - everything else I tried to use got outsped by a lot of common sweepers.

So here's what I want to know:

1. How many people actually use Baton Pass leads in 5th Gen Competitive?

2. What are some good Baton Passers (besides the aforementioned ones)?

3. Are Baton Pass strategies still useful by today's standards?

Discuss.

I'm just going to bump this since it took so long to approve and its not fair to let it fall to the bottom of the page without having a chance.

Ísjaki

Flood Of Red
the fact that it passes confusion cost me my masterclass battle in the semi finals so i hate it :D

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
Vaporeon can pass some massive substitutes, aqua ring, and acid armor (FTW!) it can actually be pretty deadly if i can actually pull it off. thing is.. it's really hard to pull off.

baton pass when used by the right player is one of the stratagues that i fear the most so yes it is good but it takes alot of work toi pull off

Utopian

faults & feats
is the corny-est "style" ever, takes no skill whatsoever!!

Scaldaver

Limitless
Hmm, try Ninjask, with substitute. That way,
1) Substitute. Speed raises.
2) Sword dance - attack raises by 2. Speed rises.
3) Baton pass.

This way, two speed and two attack points are passed!

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
Hmm, try Ninjask, with substitute. That way,
1) Substitute. Speed raises.
2) Sword dance - attack raises by 2. Speed rises.
3) Baton pass.

This way, two speed and two attack points are passed!

Focus Sash would probably be better, as it's sub would most likely be broken the same turn it's used.

Zachmac

I've seen a baton pass chain where half the pokemon could double as sweepers. There was no specific baton pass target, and if the sweeper comes across a pokemon it couldn't handle, it would baton pass to a teammate who could. I phazed one of the pokemon before, and unlike most players, they still didn't give up, and just set up again. Now that I think about it, it was a little like volt turn with stat boosting moves. I don't think they had Espeon either, but I can't really remember that part.

Fracktail

Do not forget that you can not baton pass shell smash, it is illegal, so I guess that smeargle set is not so good; that also takes Huntail and Gorebyss out of the question

Wolf Prince

Lycan Seraph
surely, your problem is not only that most Baton passers are slow, and only ninjask is a good baton pass leader, your main problem is skarmory. even if you reach +6 atk/sp atk it's sturdy will make it survive and whirlwind you out.
Yet again, baton passers don't always work good as leaders, i suggest you try gorebyss shell smash+White herb so you can recover the lowered stats and conserve the stat rises, i usually Baton pass to mixed salamence.

zerofield

i miss miror
Ninjask/Vaporeon/Espeon/Mr. Mime/Filler/Filler

Gratz you've just made both the strongest and cheapest team this game has to offer. Pass around, get every buff ever, immune to Perish Song and phazing due to espy and mime.

Psycho Cut

2. What are some good Baton Passers (besides the aforementioned ones)? .
Smeargle and Gorebyss for SmashPassing (passing Shell Smashes).

There's advantages and disadvantages for the two. Smeargle has the crippling Spore to abuse, along with other useful support moves but, thanks to its poor defences, has to run a Focus Sash, meaning it can't use a White Herb to negate the defence drop. Gorebyss is natural faster, and resists Bullet Punch, meaning it's not knocked out by Scizor, the most common priority abuser, it can also manage a sweep itself

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
I usually run Baton Pass with Pokemon that are very scarcely seen with it.

Scizor and Gliscor are usually my main BP'ers when I just feel like killing stuff. Most of the others are just much 2 predictable and are undeniably easy 2 use.

Zachmac

surely, your problem is not only that most Baton passers are slow, and only ninjask is a good baton pass leader, your main problem is skarmory. even if you reach +6 atk/sp atk it's sturdy will make it survive and whirlwind you out.
Yet again, baton passers don't always work good as leaders, i suggest you try gorebyss shell smash+White herb so you can recover the lowered stats and conserve the stat rises, i usually Baton pass to mixed salamence.
When you see a Skarmory, that's when you pass to Espeon.