• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Aboard The St. Anne (015)

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
This episode was a classic. The magikarp salesman was hilarious, the captain was also funny, and the sinking ship was really suspensefull. 10/10

G50

No longer posting
Wasn't really a big fan of the 1st 2 of this 3-episode set. Was cool seeing Buterfree battle Raticate, and seeing a trade for the 1st time. But other than that, wasn't too thrilled overall.

30/100

Aquarelle

Staff member
This was the first episode of the anime I ever saw. I was five years old the first time I saw this.

Seeing Team Rocket dressed in those schoolgirl outfits at the beginning is something that I've always remembered from this episode. I thought they were really weird characters and at first I was wondering if James was a girl or a boy. O___o And then later when it showed them talking to Giovanni, I remember asking my dad, "Are they bad guys?"

I spent the rest of the episode figuring out what these things called "Pokemon" are and how battles, etc. really work. I must say, it was all really confusing for me!

But for some reason, I really liked this episode, and because of that, I fell in love with Pokemon. If it wasn't for this episode...then I may have never become a Pokemon fan. And that's a scary thought.

Endorcist

Name of song?

Hello everyone,

I've seen this episode multiple times and very much like it. Recently I watched it again online and right about 17 minutes into it starting from the opening theme, a song plays that I can not seem to find anywhere. I'm not sure if its unreleased but its right after Ash has the flashbacks about butterfree and the rocket grunt yells, "Hand over the pokeballs". Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Hello everyone,

I've seen this episode multiple times and very much like it. Recently I watched it again online and right about 17 minutes into it starting from the opening theme, a song plays that I can not seem to find anywhere. I'm not sure if its unreleased but its right after Ash has the flashbacks about butterfree and the rocket grunt yells, "Hand over the pokeballs". Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The name of the background music is "Prayer". It was usually played during sad scenes, along with "Tears After the Cloudy Weather", during the earlier episodes in the original series.

In my opinion, it was a beautiful track that the anime should really use again. Then again, the anime never really gets as emotional as some of the earlier episodes anymore. Everything is always so happy-go-lucky now, except in the movies.

Bianca~

Almost Never Online.
The name of the background music is "Prayer". It was usually played during sad scenes, along with "Tears After the Cloudy Weather", during the earlier episodes in the original series.

In my opinion, it was a beautiful track that the anime should really use again. Then again, the anime never really gets as emotional as some of the earlier episodes anymore. Everything is always so happy-go-lucky now, except in the movies.

I love both of those songs! To this day, I still remember
Ash protecting Pikachu from the Spearows while "Tears After the Cloudy Wather" played (In ep. 1).
The OST is very nostalgic for me.

Anyways, Ep. 15 was a very good one; such a classic. I was looking forward to this arc a lot. I believe this is the first time we ever saw Giovanni and Persian, actually. Team Rocket as a whole was pretty awesome, and so were the Magikarp Salesman, the Captain, and the character that Ash traded with twice. (I missed his name. ~_~)

Also, "No need to worry, I just thought I'd test out the life rafts."

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
Oh right. This is the "Give me your Pokémon!" "No!" "Don't make me take them from you!" episode.

This episode led to the rise of one of my all-time favorite characters in the series: the Magikarp salesman. He is simply greatness and should've appeared more often. Team Rocket's idea seemed really solid at the time but I wonder how they thought they were going to escape while things became even more complicated with the storm having almost reached them. Personally, I didn't find the trio's particularly interesting in this episode even with Ash trading away Butterfree only to get it back.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Ash's Butterfree trade was so stupid. Sometimes I question whether the producers really wanted him to be a completely brainless character.
As for the episode itself, it's definitely up there as one of my favourites. The Magikarp salesman was a great character and the suspense created when the ship sank was just EPIC!

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
Oh right. This is the "Give me your Pokémon!" "No!" "Don't make me take them from you!" episode.

Can we discuss the atrocity of the voice acting behind those terrible lines? Hahaha that moment made me burst out laughing really loud.

I also find it amusing that apparently the only Pokemon that exist are starters and Pikachu. Nobody breaks out a Jolteon or Rhydon or something cool like THAT!

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
It was a good episode and action followed later

First of all, awesome debut for the Magikarp Salesman. Together with Casey, my favourite recurring character.

Sad that Ash trades Butterfree away, even though he just does it under pressure and gets bad advice from Brock. If I'd be Butterfree, I would've left Ash as soon as possible, and not in a later episode because of the mating season. I'd leave him for even thinking about trading his cute little Butterfree away! However, good that he got Butterfree back. I really love his Butterfree, but he didn't deserve a Pokemon like Butterfree. Even though Ash was put under pressure, he should've said "no", no matter what. Instead of realizing how much he cared about Butterfree after the trade, he should've realized that immediately when the gentleman proposed it.

Awesome episode, 10/10.

Blessed

Excellent episode, The debut of the infamous Magikarp salesman! I love him he's such a funny old guy. I'm glad he made moe appearances throughout the series. The St Anne looked so exquisite and elegant so that was nice to see I suppose. I'm surprised the writers made it sink like the Titanic.

Last edited:

7threst

This episode led to the rise of one of my all-time favorite characters in the series: the Magikarp salesman. He is simply greatness and should've appeared more often. Team Rocket's idea seemed really solid at the time but I wonder how they thought they were going to escape while things became even more complicated with the storm having almost reached them. Personally, I didn't find the trio's particularly interesting in this episode even with Ash trading away Butterfree only to get it back.

While we did had our disagreements on the other episode topic, in this one, I totally stand by this summary and especially something that is worth mentioning again!

1213873789.jpg

" Scamming Pokemon trainers since '97 baby!" - The infamous Magikarp Salesman

Attachments

• 1213873789.jpg
    1213873789.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 5
The episode would have been nice if it just had the trading part but the writers had to ruin it and make the St. Anne go all Titanic. The arc that came afterwards was so full of nonsense, when I watched it years ago, I honestly felt like I had lost some of my intelligence. -_-

I'll give this a 6, it would have gotten a higher rating from me if the St. Anne didn't sink.

Great, another Starmie gets its gem scattered. (-_-) xD I love when multiple Pokemon came out of nowhere to do a team attack. It was amazing. I wish Misty called out Starmie so it could be a team Tackle or Water Gun.

SolitaryHowl

While I'm a huge fan of the first and 2nd generation of pokemon, I don't really like this episode. While its funny at some points, I really don't like how they parallel the Titanic the way they did. If they wanted to parallel it, fine, but don't add all that humour to that same episode to make light of it...that's just in really bad taste!

bluesonic1

Bird, Wolf, Dragon~
I'm trying to find a song that was in this episode but I have no luck of finding the name of it -__-
It's a song that starts at about 17:00 of the episode and it's when Ash has just finished his flashbacks on Butterfree and decides to get it back, a Rocket appears and Ash sends out Pidgeotto and as they do a group gust, this song is playing. Does anyone know of the name of this song?? Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
“Cruisin' for a bruisin'?” Really, narrator?

So we're now just about on another “trilogy” of sorts that consists of cliffhangers for a couple of episodes, as well as to show that there's more than meets the eye to this show. In the games, Mt. Moon is the first instance of a “plot” when it comes to Team Rocket, but you don't get much until you reach Celadon when the player discovers something going on below. When it comes to the anime, that comes a little earlier in the form of the infiltration of the St. Anne. For those kids who never played the games prior to watching the anime, we may have figured that Team Rocket was going to play a part in the plot, but they hadn't done anything remotely threatening past the second episode.

Here's where Rocket Boss comes in (or Giovanni as he would later be revealed, but we'll call him Giovanni anyway). His introduction is rather intimidating, I'm not going to lie. The camera angle helps in how it makes Team Rocket look up at him on the screen while appearing small and insignificant. The fact that he is in shadow and his voice is warped for a deeper, scraggly tone also adds to it. When he chuckles, it's frightening—I remember getting chills from it when I first saw the episode. The anger present in his voice is the cherry on top, you can tell he is feeling insulted. Why the trio was never fired in the series and he continues to “put up” with them is seriously beyond me, but here you know that Jessie, James and Meowth are getting a bit concerned with their performance, and wishes to get serious. Mainly Meowth, as he had believed himself to be Giovanni's “top cat”, but he gets a Persian behind his back and it becomes his trademark Pokémon, in a way. He will hold this grudge for a while, but I guess he gets over it in the future since I don't hear of it anymore. Jessie even wants to step up her game, but as apparent by James' gullibility in falling for the Magikarp Salesman, it's apparent that they're not going to change, at least not for a long time. (Speaking of his purchase, him getting happy over it is pure gold.)

In the meantime, the other Rocket Grunts appear to take their job seriously, but they lack in a lot of areas. They obviously aren't very smart (the two going up to Ash and Misty asking for their Pokémon is proof of it), they can't think ahead, they apparently don't use Pokémon or thought they couldn't, they don't have a back-up plan let alone any back-up to speak of, their intimidation as a terrorist group falls short very quickly—Giovanni hires a lot of idiots to do his dirty work. It's seriously almost as if they thought no one would ever dare think to fight back. I swear, this episode was very convincing that most of the Rocket Grunts are morons; though that may just be a case of “never live it down” because of those two Grunts.

But enough about Team Rocket, what else has happened that makes this episode memorable? Well, Jessie and James' disguise aside (what were they, valley girls?), this is where we get the concept of trading—which is apparently not as simple as just handing over PokéBalls to one another and calling it a day. A machine has to be used, which I guess makes sense, the Trainer ID numbers have to be taken into consideration, but whatever. The one thing most people will probably agree with is Ash trading Butterfree for a Raticate he never uses has been one of his dumber decisions. He questions it, of course (his reminiscing over Butterfree while Team Rocket is attacking was a bit inappropriate, he could've done it earlier), so shortly afterward, he trades back. Doesn't stop him from giving away or releasing his Pokémon, though, so... did he learn a lesson at all?

Now the “practice” battle on the St. Anne between Starmie and Raticate was neat to see. It shows off a little bit of competitive battling that further expands on Pokémon battling since we don't see Ash battling random trainers very often. The fight between Butterfree and Raticate was just as short, though the guy sure made that decision to step right in after his Pokémon was paralyzed and say it's a “draw”. Um... would this make him a sore loser, or what? I don't get it...

I have to question where the hell all those Pikachu came from besides stock footage from episode two, but then again, apparently all sorts of similar Pokémon showed up anyway. Makes sense because of the number of trainers there, but if Pikachu is stated to be a bit rare, having all of those Pikachu in one place doesn't compute... I dunno, there wasn't a lot of variety in Pokémon anyway, and I don't think everyone fought back. (Also, how did they get their PokéBalls back if the Rocket Grunts were blasted away?)

The captain is a bad captain. He should have known about the storm, let alone knew the ship wasn't going to be sinkable (but then again, Titanic was claimed as such, too, so...). Though considering he was jumping ship and not handling the rescue well should say something about his ignorance and inability as a captain. Oh well, plot convenience. Much like how Ash losing his PokéBall from a lurch is plot convenience. (Meanwhile, where did that gentleman go? He did go on the lifeboats, didn't he? Not that I care, he was a bland character anyway, he was only there to be a tool for trading.)

So with that, Ash and the gang as well as Team Rocket are knocked unconscious as the cruise ship sinks, and we leave off on a cliffhanger. I remember the next episode being one of my personal childhood favorite episodes, and I believe it's very well remembered amongst the fandom. I could be wrong, though, but how can you forget that nightmarish ending?