• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Aboard The St. Anne (015)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Since Team Rocket managed to infiltrate the S.S. Anne easily I've always wondered if Giovanni owned the cruise ship. When Ash gave up Butterfree for Raticate, it was a betrayal.

I don't think Sakaki owned the vessel. I think he merely planned ahead and placed all those Rocket-dan grunts there with help from Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyasu.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This episode was so good, and I loved that we saw other Team Rocket members besides Jessie, James, Meowth, and Giovanni unlike in the most recent series these days. And its also great that the trio actually felt like threats instead of just for comedic relief plot devices that go after the mascot Pokemon.

I liked the battles in this episode as well, but I wish Misty did some battling as well.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode was so good, and I loved that we saw other Team Rocket members besides Jessie, James, Meowth, and Giovanni unlike in the most recent series these days. And its also great that the trio actually felt like threats instead of just for comedic relief plot devices that go after the mascot Pokemon.

This episode is even kind of special among OS episodes in general, because this was one of the few times in OS that Sakaki showed trust in Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyasu.

gentwoer

A lot of milestones in this episode. This is the first time we meet Boss Rocket Giovanni (he was only briefly alluded to by Jessie in the Squirtle Squad episode) and see that Team Rocket is part of a larger organization and not just a two person team with their talking Meowth. This is the first multi-parter of the show with actual cliffhangers and stuff to continue directly into the next episode. Really iirc this 3-parter and the Cinnabar two-parter were the only actual multi-parters in the Kanto saga (the Sabrina arc is more of a story arc than anything), This is the first time James cross dressed and the first time Team Rocket wore a disguise that fooled the twerps. This is the first time Brock goes completely gaga over a girl openly and not just blushing. This also introduced the concept of trading Pokemon one of the lynchpin of the games though honestly the anime didn't really do a glowing product placement with that. Coincidentally the proper premier of this episode in US (as in not the sneak peak preview) was the same day Red and Blue were released in the U.S.

The episode itself is alright. Probably my least favorite of this 3-parter, the Gentleman trainer annoyed me and the climax of the episode got a bit lazy with a lot of repeated animation including recycling animation from the 2nd episode with all the Pikachu jumping down.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
I love this episode! The parts with Giovanni are haunting, but it's sad that in the end, Team Rocket didn't seem like much of a threat after all. The TRio however has one of its most hilarious episodes ever. The schoolgirl crossdressing James shouting 'Coooool' every few seconds is golden (as well as how much he enjoys dressing like a girl) and then James buying the Magikarp using Jessie's salary advance. :D
IMO, one of James' finest episodes.

The trade with the gentleman felt like it deserved its own episode, not just a sidenote to a jam-packed episode. Pity there wasn't time for actual Butterfree screentime apart from the short battle. I wish we had seen Ash saying goodbye to Butterfree.

Leonhart

Imagineer
BulleDeChagrin said:
The trade with the gentleman felt like it deserved its own episode, not just a sidenote to a jam-packed episode. Pity there wasn't time for actual Butterfree screentime apart from the short battle. I wish we had seen Ash saying goodbye to Butterfree.

Butterfree deserved so much better here. I wish we had seen his reaction to being traded, yet we didn't get so much as a glimpse at his feelings.

Wow, I don't think this episode will ever be topped in terms of drama and comedy mixed together. We saw James get scammed into purchasing a useless Magikarp and Ash had conflicting feelings because of his trade with the gentleman. Too bad we didn't see much of his new Raticate.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
Good episode. I liked Giovanni and Persian's introduction.

I liked how we got a subtle hint about how jealous Nyasu was of Sakaki's Persian, which I don't think was implied before this episode. I just didn't like Sakaki's voice filter in the English dub since it made him sound ridiculously cliche like a superhero villain or something.

So Giovanni's voice sounded really evil here and never again in future episodes. It seemed to me like Jessie, James and Meowth were more trusted in this episode than in future episodes and I really laughed when James got tricked into buying that good for nothing Magikarp which cost him so much money. My favorite scene was when Ash regretted trading Butterfree for a Raticate and also when the ship's captain tried to leave the ship on his own lifeboat before anyone else. 10/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
Firefo×Fennekin said:
It seemed to me like Jessie, James and Meowth were more trusted in this episode than in future episodes

I noticed that as well and I suppose that it had something to do with them being somewhat new to the organization according to the timeline of events that we'd learn about later, so perhaps Sakaki had more faith in their potential here since this was before they began to get noticeably incompetent.

MockingJ

Banned
I know that the Magikarp salesman conned James out of a lot of money, but wasn't his scam actually kind of brilliant? By breeding Magikarp and selling the offspring you could theoretically gain a fortune and all James had to do was scam other people into buying his own Magikarps and over time he would've racked in a lot of cash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
greenpika said:
This is one of the only episodes where we actually see other TR agents doing their thing in the field

That's probably because the writers were still working out how to showcase the Rocket-dan organization, so they were more willing to show the grunts doing some work. I always wondered if the grunts serviced the storm though since they got sent flying out of the ship.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

This episode reinforced why I don't care much for trading in the anime. I'm happy Ash realized his mistake and got back his Butterfree. Though I kind of wish he got a Raticate through some other means

Leonhart

Imagineer
Though I kind of wish he got a Raticate through some other means
I suppose I would've wanted him to get an extra Pokemon just to fill the sixth slot on his team in late Kanto, although I can't say that Ratta would've appealed to me much since it was a pure Normal-type with not that many powerful moves in Gen I from what I remember.

RafaSceptile

Reviewing the Pokémon anime in 10 words or less:
"Well I guess is the end of Ash's Journeys..." (continuation on the next episode)

Episode: 6/10