• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle-Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym! (711)

Haunter ゴースト

After rewatching this episode in the raw and dub, it's definete to me the raw bgm is what made it so exciting for me.

Nonetheless, after rewatching the dub, I did still enjoy the Gym Battle very much and despite Ash being a complete total ultimate mega serious unbelievable noob Pikachu vs Tynamo is still one of my favourites of all time.

I'll give this episode 6/10, these points are purely from Palpitoad vs Zebstrika and Pikachu fighting Tynamo though, Ash being a noob is what completely destroyed this episode really.

Why the dubbers felt the need to remove the BW ending bgm i'll never know, and never forgive.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
I enjoyed this episode. The battle between Ash and Elesa went rather well...

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
So today is the day Ash fights Elesa!!!!!

However, first we go to the night before and we see Ash thinking up a strategy with a pen and paper???? Thats unusual. I wonder how this turns out.

So!!! We finally make it to the gym via the rollercoaster. The battle begins and it is Zebstrika vs Palpitoad. Nice choice by Ash, the electric moves are ineffective and flame charge is weak, ok. As the battle persues we find that Ash is having some trouble with zebstrika but it does succeed with a mud shot, hydro pump combo, Yay!!!

Elesa brings out Emolga. Ash is a little overconfident and then emolga destroys palpitoad with flying type moves of Aerial Ace and Acrobatics. Ok, pokemon number two for Ash is.............uh.....is.....come on Ash! After an interlude, Snivy emerges! Ash forgets the type disadvantage, but thats normal for Ash (until you see his reaction), and we begin with an ineffective Attract battle! Exciting!!!! After some weak grass moves from Snivy, it is down to Emolga's barrage of flying type moves.

The final battles are quick and fast, but they involve Pikachu :D. First, Pikachu quickly disposes Emolga with a quick attack and Elesa is taken aback from this so she brings out the secret weapon...Tynamo??? (Ash's reaction, not mine). Tynamo is fast with it's tackles and even Pikachu is shocked. So it uses a smoke tactic to restrict tynamo to one direction of attack and then it is slammed by Pikachu's Iron Tail.

And the moral of the story? Ash should never think of a strategy with Pen and Paper and Ash and Pikachu are the ultimate team :D.

Finally, this showed Pikachu and Ash's Bond with each other. I think Pikachu acted strange on the sidelines because he was anxious. Not only he was anxious due to the battle, but Pikachu knew that it was unusual for Ash to think of a strategy so seriously before a gym battle and this just added to the anxiety. Also, this episode showed Pikachu's power with two OHKO's. However isnt this a good thing for some of you watchers? You complained when Pikachu lost to Trip's new snivy as well as some other battles due to Pikachu losing and now you are complaining because Pikachu is showing some of it's power?

Anyway, I liked the episode. Can't wait till the next one.

Also, this episode showed Pikachu's power with two OHKO's. However isnt this a good thing for some of you watchers? You complained when Pikachu lost to Trip's new snivy as well as some other battles due to Pikachu losing and now you are complaining because Pikachu is showing some of it's power?

It also made Snivy and Palpitoad look horribly weak because they couldn't even touch Emolga.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
It also made Snivy and Palpitoad look horribly weak because they couldn't even touch Emolga.

Yes it did, so when people complain about Pikachu getting a 'Reset' as they describe. It may be sensible to think again. I'm not saying that I like Pikachu having a power reset that the start of the region, infact I enjoyed Pikachu shining today but I was trying to make a point to the people that complain about it.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

This episode was fine, but Ash was not what he was. He was very annoying in this episode, not using his brain. Except for using Palpitoad in the first battle, but not using him as the only one.

Also, disappointing to see Snivy had a loss, but it'll get better later in the season.

Battra

Wow can we please have the Ash that placed top 4 in the Sinnoh League back instead of moron Ash from the first season of Pokemon. Just mind boggling how the writing could be so bad in this episode, they obviously wrote themselves into a corner having to rely on Pikachu as their Deus Ex Machina just so Ash could win and they wouldn't have to write a follow-up episode of Ash rechallenging Elesa.

On all accounts Ash lost this gym battle, all Elesa had to do was have Emolga use attract on Pikachu and it would've been over. That's discounting the fact that any one else would've been disqualified for taking that long to send out their next Pokemon, or actually leaving the stadium to get another Pokemon, but since this is Ash not only does he get a pass he gets a win.

Cilan's to blame too at no point did he call Ash out on this, he's a gym leader he of all people should know what Ash is doing is cheating, but i'm sure this isn't the last time we see Cilan forgetting his role as a gym leader. Just goes to show that when traveling with Ash you get dumber.

Cloud_Arcanine

Scarlett starlett
I felt sorry for Snivy in all this more than anything. For Ash to forget she was female is one thing during the double attract, then to forget Emolga is part flying type despite being around Iris' all the time. The poor lass never stood a chance :(

gliscor&yanmega

Finished watching the dub version, I enjoyed it.

Tynamo sounded fine to me, I loved it's evil laugh(Sounded evil at less).

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
Wow can we please have the Ash that placed top 4 in the Sinnoh League back instead of moron Ash from the first season of Pokemon. Just mind boggling how the writing could be so bad in this episode, they obviously wrote themselves into a corner having to rely on Pikachu as their Deus Ex Machina just so Ash could win and they wouldn't have to write a follow-up episode of Ash rechallenging Elesa.

On all accounts Ash lost this gym battle, all Elesa had to do was have Emolga use attract on Pikachu and it would've been over. That's discounting the fact that any one else would've been disqualified for taking that long to send out their next Pokemon, or actually leaving the stadium to get another Pokemon, but since this is Ash not only does he get a pass he gets a win.

Thank you! I agree with all you posted, except for the things about Cilan.

What's wrong with Ash making strategies? He did that for a few of his Sinnoh gym battles, and they paid off. Doesn't anyone remember the brilliance of the Fantina battle?

dman_dustin

Like the original, I didn't care for the gym battle, it really is the worst gym of Unova to date (in my opinion), honestly nothing can ever be this bad, the only way it would be worse is if Pikachu sweeped a gym after his other two Pokemon fail miserably. Hell Syla's is already loads better having Ash use certain other Pokemon and having that certain event happening and the battle hasn't even aired yet.

But still enjoyed Palpitoad battling. Still bitter that its male but whatever.

And something I assume is dub-only, is Tynamo's laugh after it slammed Pikachu into the wall. I got to say, I honestly wasn't expecting it to sound like that or sound that funny but it was. If it wasn't dub-only (the voice), then kudos to the original, I missed that the first time.

Exploits

I thought Pikachu OHKOing Emolga with one Quick Attack was ridiculous. Especially with the quickness Emolga showed against Snivy. She just stood there and took a direct hit. But meh, a lot of the anime is like that.

Nonsense.

Palpitoad was tired and beaten up already, and Snivy is weak against Emolga's Typing.

Palpitoad didn't look that tired and beaten up to me. Besides, he only took a Quick Attack and a Double Kick.