• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle-Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym! (711)

WaffleCopter

<-- Kamehameha!!!
Writers ARE writing this for a kids show.... It's not gonna be as complex as you think it's gonna be.

Pikachu wanting to battle in an ELECTRIC gym, ash isn't gonna turn him down for wanting to battle his own type. They've been "best pals" since day 1. Pikachu, imo, is a very strong battler (obviously) and him losing to excadrill was terrible. If pikachu didn't battle in the gym and he lost to excadrill and afro tauros, alot of you would complain.

I'll agree the 2 OHKO's were.... Meh, but tynamo is weak, so I saw it coming

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Ash is planning his battle along with Pikachu and Cilan looks cool without his vest on.
I'm glad Ash is thinking like this before his battle.

Ash mentioned Pokabu and Oshawott (About type advantages and such) and now he's talking to Juniper.

........*fangirls*

I didn't think I had anything to be excited for this Gym Battle. Now I can't wait to see it I always wanted to see Dento with his vest off XDD It's amazing how this anime so far is humoring me.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Writers ARE writing this for a kids show.... It's not gonna be as complex as you think it's gonna be.

that's not going to stop people from going on rants unfortunitly.

I didn't really mind the episode, I thought it was funny and the battle parts wre alright enough with me.

dman_dustin

Pikachu wanting to battle in an ELECTRIC gym
Pikachu wants to freaking battle in every single damn thing, I honestly could not care less. I don't know how Pikachu managed to be so humble in DP, that it's become a spoiled rat in BW. I mean forcing Ash to choose it in the Don Battle Tournament and forcing Ash to choose it in the gym that Pikachu wasn't supposed to be in the first place, is bull.

If pikachu didn't battle in the gym and he lost to excadrill and afro tauros, alot of you would complain.

You really don't know how I feel about Pikachu, I honestly could not give a magician's hat about Pikachu's win / loss record. I honestly cannot care less about whether Pikachu wins constantly or loses constantly. So long as Ash uses his other Pokemon.

So no, I'm not like other people who would care that Ash lost to Iris's stronger than it Excadrill or The champion of Unova's "Afro bull." No I could not care less.

The writers shoving the rat down my throat, made me stop caring about it. And yes Pikachu will have those great moments of awesomeness like with the Subway Episodes where it was really awesome, but otherwise I could not care less about Pikachu. All I care about is the Pokemon that only have a limited time to entertain me, before being replace by a crap load of new monsters that have a limited time to entertain me before they're replace by new Pocket Monsters. So yeah I'm not entirely sure why I should care about a Pokemon that's cemented permanently in showing up every single episode of the entire anime series.
----

Plus as I said, the spoiled rat is just one of many things wrong with this episode, but not the only thing. Like I said, I'm more annoyed with how completely out of character the writer made Ash than whether or not Pikachu screwed over a Pokemon that isn't being shoved down my throat.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Just because it's justifiable doesn't mean it isn't bad writing. Since when has bad writing been solely associated to apparently been written by someone who only has a small grasp of the language their writing.

The simple fact is, Ash was COMPLETELY out of character, that's why it's bad writing. It's like suddenly Ash gets pissed off at Oshawott for showing up every time and then kicking him (literally) for not waiting to be called.

It's only bad writing to you and others, doesn't mean it is in general. Some people like me might consider it interesting that they made Ash go about the battle differently and for him to learn and to be reassured that his usual battling style is what gets him the wins most of the times.

Ash got the badge, he defeated all of Elesa's Pokemon, we get it that you don't like most of things that have been happening in Nimbasa lately, can't we just move on. We've only got one more episode in Nimbasa anyway.

A.J.

Wobba wobba wobba!
I love the multiple attempts at ranting, they make me laugh.

The point is - Ash won, he doesn't have to have a rematch, and we can MOVE ON. End of discussion.

(It's not really the end, as I'm sure there will be hundreds of complaints that the MOST POPULAR CHARACTER ON THE SHOW won the battle.)

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
My two fears for this gym battle came true....Snivy lost without a single win and there was not one, but TWO OHKO's, even worst by Pikachu....ugh, I feel we waited to long for this gym now

Last edited:

pokefandt

So pikachu starred. Ughh. . . .

At least Palpitoad got a win. But Snivy treatment is bull. At least the ground gym is coming up next.

I was honestly expecting Zebstraika to be more of a threat.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
So it comes down to, who honestly believes that some of us didn't like this episode just because we "didn't understand it?" Honestly that sounds like a petty counterargument for my opinion.

You don't know Japanese. The episode was easily understandable for people who do. When your opinion bases itself on a bunch of stuff you just think is what happened, "you didn't understand the episode" is a pretty logical counter.

Who says "I didn't understand the meaning" and even if I didn't understand it, what makes it less bad writing, when this episode should not have been written this way in the first place.

"Confounded Japanese writers! Why are they writing in Japanese?"

Joltik-Kid

Now that the episode has aired I can post two things I noticed beforehand going into this.

1. in hoenn and sinnoh in both of the region's fourth gyms, Ash's usage of a grass pokemon was a bad choice and the pokemon in question did not get a victory, Third time's...apparently not the charm or grass's best chance for fighting.
Honestly, Treeco had no chance in the fire gym, but Ash only had Taillow as a second option....But Turtwig had a full advantage, in fact, it was x4 effective against Quagsire, but just like today with Snivy, it wasn't there to star...it was there so Buizel could get two wins, just like Pikachu today.

2. Ash using grass types in electrical gyms is apparently a bad idea as well
He only used a grass type twice and both times they were used the opponents pokemon conveniently had a move or moves that were super effective against Ash's grass pokemon... Then again Torterra lost so Infernape could star
Elesa really needs to focus on her other two pokemon if they got beaten that quickly (though in Tynamo's case i'm not suprised given how people kept referring to it as the magikarp of unova, guess they were right.), sure Emolga knocked out Snivy due to type advantage, but it seems like she's focused on Zebrastrika so much once it goes down all you gotta do is send out a female and you practically have a lock on beating her.
I feel like we got cheated because Pikachu one shotted both of her final two pokemon...sure they were pretty strong, but one shot...really?

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
The battles this series are really going down hill, this was just as bad as Vs Burgh.

PokeMaster366

I wonder how much hate the show would get if Ash used Pikachu at the Ground Gym? I can already see people stop watching the show if that happened.

Looks like Ash had any easy time in this gym. I was kinda hoping the battle would be spread across two episodes. I mean it's not like Elesa got any more focus than Lenora or Burgh.

gliscor&yanmega

The episode seemed to be more comedic based over anything else. It doesn't seem like the episode has a lot of people who enjoyed it.

I don't really have a problem with it, I did find it funny at times, Ash just leaving the gym like that for example.

Palpitoad is confirmed male, which was always my first thought.

I'm shocked Tynamo only had Tackle.

I would have prefer if Snivy got a win at less but whatever(Next gym perhaps).

I do think the episode could have been done less comedic and had more exciting action in it. I have only seen pictures so far, but from what I did so it's not that action pack for a gym episode.

Still, I enjoyed it.

Looks like Ash had any easy time in this gym. I was kinda hoping the battle would be spread across two episodes. I mean it's not like Elesa got any more focus than Lenora or Burgh.

I wouldn't say he had an easy time in this battle. He was down to Pikachu while Elesa still had two Pokemon(One that didn't battle yet and the other was still pretty fresh). After Palpitoad lost it looked like Ash was struggling.

Also, it doesn't look like Palpitoad got to use Mud Shot on Emolga, not surprised. I would have liked to see how that would be handled, if immunity would kick in or not.

Last edited:

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Saw the episode, seems nice, would have liked Snvy to win but it was nice anyway, he got the uper hand then Kamitsure got the uper hand, the battle seems fun and cool to watch.

I liked the faces the pokemons did in the match XD, specially Palpitoad and Zebstrika.

On the whole Satoshi is out of character, so in Sinnoh he was out of character when he started swaping pokemons? or did he just learn something?

He just got beaten in the tounament, what the problem of the writers making him actually think before a fight, there is a diference between out of character and evolution or new trait.

dman we though it was female becuae of the voice actor... I wanted it to be female due to most of his pokemons being male, I never saw it acting "femalish" besides me saying that she looked like a *****y girl that leads the pond but it can be a bossy guy too, so apparently its a bossy guy.

Hopefully Snivy beats Excadrill in the next gym.

Did anyone else notice the similarity? *Out of curiosity; she was in Bel/Papa episode as well* :D

Another case of the animators slacking :D.

Joltik-Kid

IKR?! She must have been desperate. I'm guessing seeing both Zebstrika and Emolga KO'd isn't something she's used to.
It's funny that it's shown knowing Spark or Charge Beam on the manga page(whatever the scan came from) yet only uses Tackle the entire time...well I think we can all agree that Zebstrika might very well still be her strongest Pokemon in the show.

A.J.

Wobba wobba wobba!
Two things -

First, I still think the whole Pikachu <--> Zekrom situation in the beginning of the series will eventually develop into a huge problem. Pikachu was weakened in the beginning, is strong now, and will probably get to the point where his power is uncontrollable.

Second, even though Snivy lost, she still contributed to the battle. If she was released, hit with a single attack, and KOed, then she would have had nothing to do with the battle. Half of the battle is tiring out your opponent.