• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle-Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym! (711)

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I really liked this episode. I barely know what happened but I liked Dento and Iris (their facial expressions made me laugh) and it had lots of pretty colors and stuff XDD

Also Tynamo X33333

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I was really excited about this Gym battle at first, but in the end, it was just average. I think the thing that made me dislike it the most was the choice of Pokemon here. I really didn't like that Ash used Snivy and Pikachu, and even though Ash won the battle, I think he could've done a lot better had he used his reserve Pokemon. I also dislike the Attract abuse. I could understand if it were used to confirm some genders, but seeing Emolga and Snivy using it against each other was just ridiculous. I'm glad that Snivy suffered a bit though, and I'm glad that Pikachu had a hard time against Tynamo. However, I hope that the next Gym battle is more exciting. 5/10.

dman_dustin

You don't know Japanese. The episode was easily understandable for people who do. When your opinion bases itself on a bunch of stuff you just think is what happened, "you didn't understand the episode" is a pretty logical counter.

Oh so because originally some people didn't know Japanese suddenly they should initially be okay with Ash's match with Liza and Tate, or they should accept the battle Pikachu's against Regice.

Even people who speak Japanese said those matches suck, so what in the hell does knowing the language have anything to do with how one perceives an episode based on what you can. A person with an angry face visually beating the crap out of someone, pretty much says that person is pissed and hates the person he is beating. You really do not do understand the Russian words coming out of his mouth saying "I hate you, I hate you" when it's pretty damn obvious that there is no love between the two.

You're argument only works when people are bored of dialogue heavy episodes. There was enough visual clues to know exactly what was happening. It's pretty damn clear cut obvious what's happening. You know maybe I could've initially missed the "Pikachu made Ash realize he shouldn't be overthinking things" possibly, but it was pretty clear cut that Ash was strategizing, and it wasn't exactly working for him. But it's pretty obvious that Pikachu snapped Ash out of his indecisiveness.

But you still seem to think that your explanation is somehow going to make the episode better for me, why would it? It's still completely out of character for Ash to sit down, think of way to beat a gym leader, and then be so indecisive or messed up during the battle.

I'm sorry but I don't recall Ash ever pausing in the middle of a battle to get a Pokemon he thinks that can actually defeat the opponent like what just happened. Ash has ALWAYS stuck with the Pokemon he had chosen prior to the match.

So it is mind boggling that you think that not liking what happened had anything to with understanding the language being spoke. It's pretty damn clear what happened.

What is there something specific you want to point out to me, that I'm apparently wrong about?

To be fair, if Elesa only focuses on training her Zebstrika and somewhat her Emolga, then having Palpitoad almost faint against Zebstrika isn't that much of an issue to me.
I didn't like it because, I'm sure people will claim that Palpitoad's win against Zebstrika was purely just to give it a win, and it's sudden endurance being DEM or something to that effect.

Of course, it could've done Pikachu in with Attract as well, but the writers are afraid of confirming Pika's gender and set this episode up as the epitome of bad writing.

We already know Pikachu's gender, so that's not a good argument.

Last edited:

Rohanator

rewatching the battle i just realised something else, Tynamo rushed Pikachu without being told by Elesa right before getting Iron Tailed into the wall.

that's not a good thing when a gym leaders pokemon doesn't listen to them, she clearly needs to train that thing, and since it didn't obey her it getting ko'ed by iron tail wasn't cheap.

She did actually order it, Tynamo just used it really late. She called out Tackle right before Ash started his T-Bolt steam schenanigans and rushed in right when Elesa realized Ash's plan and it was too late.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Here I was hoping each of Ash's pokemon would get a win...what I received was a spotlight hogging rodent getting 2 wins (each being a OHKO) and my favorite Unova Starter not getting a single hit in...The only saving point of this episode was how bad*** Palpitoad was when taking on the Zebra

Rohanator

Here I was hoping each of Ash's pokemon would get a win...what I received was a spotlight hogging rodent getting 2 wins (each being a OHKO) and my favorite Unova Starter not getting a single hit in...The only saving point of this episode was how bad*** Palpitoad was when taking on the Zebra

Still not as bad as the Chimchar hype in DP, as much as I actually love that series. I mean come on, A WIN FOR TORTERRA PLEASE! NO? (Not) FINE! I'm sure Snivy will redeem herself some where. And this loss against Emolga might be some extra set up for Ash vs Iris.

HoennMaster

Oh the joy of the Pokémon fandom. Teenagers and adults *****ing about a show meant for kids. lol

I'm a little disappointed since Elesa is my favorite Unova Gym Leader, but hey, Palpitoad was used and was funny and good in battle at the same time. Emolga beating Snivy easily should not be a shocker to anyone. Acrobatics is a powerful move, plus it had the type advantage. Pikachu one shoting two Pokémon was the only bad part, but hey, Pikachu knows how to battle after so long. Overall I'd say 3/5.

I suggest watching the episode: "Snivy Plays Hard to Catch!". Snivy used Attract on Pikachu. And if that wasn't enough, when Snivy used Attract on Pidove and it failed, Cilan mentioned Pidove was Female. So yeah. Pikachu is officially Male.

It was actually long before that. Pikachu was 100% confirmed male in the Togepi episode in mid DP.

I really liked this episode. I barely know what happened...............

WTF?

Joltik-Kid

Still not as bad as the Chimchar hype in DP, as much as I actually love that series. I mean come on, A WIN FOR TORTERRA PLEASE! NO? (Not) FINE! I'm sure Snivy will redeem herself some where. And this loss against Emolga might be some extra set up for Ash vs Iris.
I don't even wanna discuss how horribly treated Torterra was...sure I was happy Ash got Chimchar and all, but it shouldn't have stolen that much spotlight

I sure hope so, but with Ash having Swadloon and Snivy...the next gym is gonna be up in the air...then again Snivy could be like Grovyle and actually win in the flying gym

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I loved Palpitoad in this episode. The way he kept getting up smiling actually made me think 'wow, this is one badass Pokemon'..

Other than that and the fact Pikachu literally blew a fuse, this episode was kind of a disappointment. The moral of it couldn't be more true though, since Ash is better in the heat of the moment and when he tries to plan something, he sucks.

I thought they were using completely new bgms this season,they played a couple of dp bgms...maybe the original writer went on a vacation and this replacement guy just changed ash's character and brought those old(and cool) bgms back

Supersonicbro

Okay here are my thoughts on the episode.
1. Pikachu really has anger problems....he was literally steaming with anger. I wonder if they're gonna build up on that because that looked like a problem.
2. I guess ash put all his hopes on one pokemon, which actually seemed realistic because when i was younger, when i fought gyms, i only used the pokemon that had the advantage, even if it was just one.
3. Ash is officially an idiot for using attract on emolga.
4. I'm surprised the gym didnt collapse from all the pokemon slamming into the wall like that and pikachus thuderbolt spam. (whoever makes those walls in that gym should be fired).
5. If he was thinking so much, why didnt he use roggenrola?
6. Is it weird that during pikachus tantrum, a giant thunderstorm happened out of no where?

Joltik-Kid

I was surprised on how drastic Pikachu's personality changed this season...seriously wining like a baby because he can't get his way...that sounds nothing like the Pikachu I've come to know and (sometimes) love. I actually like him in DP, since he was quite generous to his fellow teammates and knew when he wasn't needed for battle

Rohanator

I thought they were using completely new bgms this season,they played a couple of dp bgms...maybe the original writer went on a vacation and this replacement guy just changed ash's character and brought those old(and cool) bgms back

Nooo, the Dawn theme is from the sountrack of movie 14. Music from movie 13 and 14 are the only "old BGMs" used in BW but since they were never used in the DP saga, they are technically new for the series.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I'm still waiting for Juputoru's comments lol.

I think Pikachu's behavior chances according to Ash's.

In DP they were a bit more mature, but now that they made Ash a bit more lighthearted, Pikachu was also affected a bit. I think as BW continues we'll see more of DP Ash and Pikachu.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Ash and Pikachu done pretty well in the Gym Battle against Elesa. Sorry that Snivy lost to Emloga, but she will triumph. Palitoad gave him a good start. Pikachu really done great. Thus earning him a bolt badge. But I wonder what kind of remark that Elesa giving to Ash that makes him look shy at the end.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Finally Pikachu is performing up to standards. I was getting sick of seeing it lose battle after battle against Pokemon it should easily be able to walk all over. 2 wins and a OHKO is the kind of Pikachu I want to see more often, not the one that gets beat by some rookie's newly acquired Snivy.

As for Snivy, she'll get her share of wins, because unlike Tepig and Oshawott, she seems okay with losing. She doesn't get all depressed or acts like a child who didn't get what she wants. She just knows she'll just have to do better next time and will work to do that along with Ash.

And as for Ash, I'm just happy he got the win. The sooner we get to the League the better, as for training, I hope he just pays attention to what moves his Pokemon. Flamethrower with Tepig is a start. How about working with the others? Hopefully more evolutions that aren't starters.

XXD17

Draco rex
When you think about it, this gym battle was crap...but for me, it was actually quite exciting, a lot more exciting than Burgh's battle for sure since there's a lot of moving around, a lot of back strategy, a lot of humor, etc...and palpitoad be trolling everyone...to be fair for the pikachu knockouts, the emolga did get hit by snivy's leaf storm before it took out snivy and tynamo really is in general a suckish pokemon on its own...my only question is why have pikachu blow up the battlefield? Was it just to reach a higher point?

Rohanator

When you think about it, this gym battle was crap...but for me, it was actually quite exciting, a lot more exciting than Burgh's battle for sure since there's a lot of moving around, a lot of back strategy, a lot of humor, etc...and palpitoad be trolling everyone...to be fair for the pikachu knockouts, the emolga did get hit by snivy's leaf storm before it took out snivy and tynamo really is in general a suckish pokemon on its own...my only question is why have pikachu blow up the battlefield? Was it just to reach a higher point?

I guess Ash just wanted to troll Elesa lol.

Pokeballs

Custom Torkoal 01
All the gym battles have been crud.

Striaton: Hax Shell retrieval plan that came out of nowhere, which should've taken substantial mathematic knowledge, which Oshawott don't have.
Nacrene: Tepig fell in the first to Lillipup's Take Down, in the second he survived two Giga Impacts by Herdier.. Raises my eyebrows it does..
Castelia: Electro Ball somehow defeating a Bug/Grass pokemon while Pika's speed stat had continuedly been reduced throughout the battle.
Nimbasa: Female Emolga spamming with Attract, yet not using it on Pikachu which would've cost Ash the match, that and Ash leaving midbattle to get Snivy, when Roggenrola would've been a better counter, and Pikachu 1HKO'ing two of Elesa's pokemon... When she's been set up as able to do the same, through the showcase with Bianca, yet nothing of the sort..

Seriously, and people want to get to Clay asap? I guess that people just want this to be over with and be left empty handed with eight crappy gym battles at the end of this.. and no further development at all. Heck, these people might as well want Ash to end up on the sixteenth spot again.. Would be awesome! Cheers!

If Vs. Clay doesn't semi impress me, then I'm officially done with being interested in Best Wishes..

Seriously, the only thing that has impressed me were Palpitoad's battles, Excadrill beating Pikachu, because of legitimacy, and Ash capturing a bunch of pokemon. Sadly, we never get to see them...

To be fair, if Elesa only focuses on training her Zebstrika and somewhat her Emolga, then having Palpitoad almost faint against Zebstrika isn't that much of an issue to me. Obviously it's her strongest by far. Emolga had type going for it with Snivy, and when it didn't it was quickly desposed off. Of course, it could've done Pikachu in with Attract as well, but the writers are afraid of confirming Pika's gender and set this episode up as the epitome of bad writing.

I laughed at #1 and #2 :p Especially since I need to add to that: Ash used Bulbasaur against Erika way back in Kanto. Now in the animé this was the fifth gym, but in game it technically is the fourth. It didn't do so well either back then, immediately got returned after Tangela paralyzed it.. :p

- So Ash used a Grass type pokemon in the fourth gym of the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th regions. Covering the types of: Grass, Fire, Water and Electric...

I'm willing to bet that the fourth gym in Gen VI would be a Flying gym, to cover Ash's regular pattern!

Tynamo is the Magikarp of Unova because it evolves into a pokemon with elongated body/snake'ish and has a very limited movepool, simple as that.

Where did this sudden impulse to plan out this gym battle come from? Ever thought about that? That's not Ash's deal to suddenly do that. It was a plotpull by the writers:

"In order for this episodes message to seem logical, we first need to make Ash do something that he wouldn't normally do, now as to why he would do that.. Oh well, kiddies won't notice!! *yay*"

Oh, I didntmrealize you speak Japanese. Just wait to find out what was being said before *****ing and moaning.