• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle-Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym! (711)

randomspot555

This was one of the worst gym battles I've seen in a while. And unlike most people, I've liked the BW gym battles so far.

"I want to use different Pokemon!" and then he...ends up using two of the three Pokemon he's used already several times over? And he doesn't even bring two others with him? Seriously?

I originally didn't think Snivy was going to evolve, but now I think it pretty much has to and/or learn a new move. Mega/Giga Drain or Toxic would be handy. I don't think Leaf Storm has ever been all that useful.

I was expecting Static to activate to slow down the electric fish. Otherwise, that was pretty boring.

So yeah, worst gym in a while. The next several episodes look entertaining though, so I remain hopeful.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
He said electric attacks. Read the post. >_>

l know, but Roggenrola was the better choice anyway. l do wonder if Snivy took Swadloon's place and if Pikachu took Roggenrola's spot.

gohan5

Irisboy
l know, but Roggenrola was the better choice anyway. l do wonder if Snivy took Swadloon's place and if Pikachu took Roggenrola's spot.

Well Snivy and Pikachu didn't take anybody's spot since Ash apparently thought he could sweep the gym using only Palpitoad ^^; He had to run and get Snivy and probably would have done the same thing again if Pikachu didn't get to battle.

dman_dustin

Watching this battle in higher quality and with a translation to go with it, still not make me like this battle any better.

Relying solely on Palpitoad?

Forgetting Snivy was female?

Admitting he overuses Pikachu, Oshawott, and Tepig, only to use Pikachu yet again?

How am I supposed to like this gym battle?

Like I said before the only things I like are Palpitoad's battle, and Ash leaving the gym battle for a Pokemon. Otherwise, this gym was the worst of all BW gyms.

Watched the episode...IDK about others I enjoyed the episode,the battle may not be good but the episode itself made me watch it again...that perhaps is enough for me.I think every one is over thinking but:x

Last edited by a moderator:

Janovy

Banned

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Relying solely on Palpitoad?

Elesa was only assuming that, and it turned out being wrong.

Forgetting Snivy was female?

probably the only moment of the episode i'll admit was bad, yet freaking funny at the same time.

Admitting he overuses Pikachu, Oshawott, and Tepig, only to use Pikachu yet again?

Given the circumstances, Pikachu was probably his best option at that point, not only that Pikachu finally made him stop acting like an idiot and make Elesa get serious as well.

Yes he could've used Roggenrola, but the rock pokemon isn't exactly a speedster (take the Audino episode for example, even though Ash commanded it to use Sandstorm first, Jessies Woobat was able to outspeed it with Gust and counter it.) which is what Elesa's main style of battle seemed to be (using speedy moves and battling styles surrounding it.) so even if he had used Roggenrola, Emolga would've probably dodged it's attacks with ease and eventually took it out similar to Palpitoad earlier in the match by tiring out the opponent then going for the kill, plus we don't know if it's a boy or girl yet, if attract came into play and worked Ash would've lost since we all know how crippling that move can be if you can't block it, and I don't think roggenrola is fast enough to do that.

Pikachu could match Emolga's speed and had advantage against Emolga, and against Tynamo it was basically as Iris said "a battle of similar types but the better willpower will win." and Ash came through.

You gotta stop nitpicking all the battles in this region man, cause your starting to remind me of someone else on these boards and turning into a second version of that person isn't a good thing.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Elesa was only assuming that, and it turned out being wrong.

Who said anything about Elesa. Ash specifically said/implied that Palpitoad was suppose to sweep Elesa, and that didn't work so he had no other Pokemon to use. He was relying solely on Palpitoad, and Palpitoad lost, and Ash began freaking out saying that he didn't know what to do. I mean come on, he actually left the gym to get Snivy.

Since when has Ash solely relied on one Pokemon, from the beginning and had that Pokemon lose, only for Ash to freak out and not know what to do?

Oh right, this one and only this one.

probably the only moment of the episode i'll admit was bad, yet freaking funny at the same time.
So people on here want comedy even at the cost of one's (Ash's in this case) own intelligence?

You gotta stop nitpicking all the battles in this region man, cause your starting to remind me of someone else on these boards and turning into a second version of that person isn't a good thing.

This is the only gym battle that I've had a problem with. Only because

Comedy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ash battling himself.

I mean here's a rundown of what I thought of the gyms so far:

[spoil]
Gym 1- Okay, sure maybe Oshawott getting back his Scalchop the way he did was cheap, but the way they did it, kind of makes it seem unlikely to be called DEM. Is it DEM when in the second episode of a show when the main character picks a lock and says that he/she learned it from a trouble past? I mean it's not like the first episode of a show is some sort of encyclopedic episode that reveals EVERYTHING about a character. Sure I'll admit it is cheap but only because Ash isn't known to calculate where attacks are going to hit, but then again maybe anyone could've figured it out because it had a large percentage of working, regardless of where it hit on the wall. And Ash has done similar things, like Ash's Cyndaquil vs Jasmine's Steelix.

2. The only problem I had with this battle was Oshawott and Tepig were USED YET AGAIN. But someone like Pidove and Snivy got screwed over. Especially Pidove who only had one battle, and still technically only has one battle under her belt even as a Tranquill. I honestly couldn't care less if Tepig surviving all those Giga Impacts were cheap, if we go by the original, Herdier was technically a different Pokemon (although that makes no sense) and could've been weaker than Lillipup, as in not trained as long. Or we could argue that Tepig got stronger by training. Hmm, that might actually be the case. Tepig just got stronger

3. Honestly I have no idea why people hated this gym battle so much. The only qualms I had was Tranquill getting screwed over by Pikachu merely because apparently it HAD to show off it's Electro Ball attack. (Wish it learned it AFTER the gym). Then again it's not like Ash was going to use Tranquill and Sewaddle/Swadloon in the same battle, even if using Pikachu wasn't going to happen. Otherwise this one was my favorite gym battle. Except for whatever reason other people found it boring[/spoil]

To quote again:
You gotta stop nitpicking all the battles in this region man
To be fair this is the only battle that I've really nitpicked and not too much of the battle itself just how it was done. With Bianca it was because I was tired of them showing Bianca the weakest trainer that ever existed. And Ash losing to Bianca's dad was only infuriating because I felt they were trying to push the whole "Father knows best" too hard, only for him to conveniently change his mind because of the whole "friendship" spiel thing happening. In that instance it wasn't the battle itself I had a problem with, it was the layout.

Palpitoad, Snivy, and Pikachu would've been all fine, maybe I would've hated the choices, but at the very least if Ash actually used those Pokemon from the start, instead of having some convoluted storyline about how out of character Ash is, I probably would've been more okay with it.

But not only do they insult Ash's character just to make a few quick laughs, the whole battle was just messy. There was hardly any cohesion to it at all. Except maybe Palpitoad vs Zebstrika and Pikachu vs Tynamo (just that last part). Everything else felt disjointed and it was mostly because of how out of character Ash was being.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
The only bad thing I in the gym to me and that I though was stupid, was the whole Satoshi leaving to get Snivy in the lab, it was just stupid in my opinion.

The rest I think it was in accordance to his character, Dent mentions that he ended up winning in his own way, he was overthinking stuff and had those dumb moments due to that.

Did they overdid it? maybe a little but I don't feel that ruined the episode for me atleast.

CupidKirby

Strange episode for me.

Hooray for Pikachu having a personality again. I hope this anger thing continues. I sort of wish Ash apologized to Snivy and especially Palpitoad in the end there though. I liked how during the last match aggaint Tynamo, Ash was all "let's use that method" like the experienced trainer he is should be saying more often.

lol at Ash forgetting Snivy was a female. lol at people upset at Pikachu winning.

The rat loses, we complain how he's been reset and the writers are conspirising against the old fans. The rat wins with OHKO's that lvl 100 pokemon pull, we get our pitchforks out while deeming the battle horribly written and glory-hogging. A tie, and we jump in a ditch and bash about how it's overdone. No one's happy for Pika anymore.

I for one was glad that Ash nearly clean-swept the match with Pikachu. He's been a great trainer using reckless methods for years and Pikachu was with him through all of it. You know, symbolic and crap. Sort of agree we don't need to see him as much as we do, but I'm not depressed about it.

Juputoru said:
...aww, Ash's pen has a pokeball at the end of it. :3

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it adorable :3

Pepsi_Plunge said:
Hey just saw the subbed version Satoshi actually aknowladges he has been overusing Pikachu, Oshawott and Tepig.

See? Even Ash notices.

RWB

Dragon busted by Her
Urgh.

Snivy finally gets a gym battle, and is not only the fall gal, but gets dominated(though admittedly because Ash was an idiot). The only thing it got to show was surprising durability.

Pokabu and Oshawott has gotten neat fights. And now, when Snivy FINALLY gets a gym battle, this happens.

Outside of that, funny but stupid. I also disliked Pikachu taking down two- I agree with whoever suggested the recalling of Snivy vs Emolga.

Yes, Pikachu is strong. Yes, I know it will get more screentime. But it did not need two victories here just to prove it's strong.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Urgh.

Snivy finally gets a gym battle, and is not only the fall gal, but gets dominated(though admittedly because Ash was an idiot). The only thing it got to show was surprising durability.

Pokabu and Oshawott has gotten neat fights. And now, when Snivy FINALLY gets a gym battle, this happens.

Outside of that, funny but stupid. I also disliked Pikachu taking down two- I agree with whoever suggested the recalling of Snivy vs Emolga.

Yes, Pikachu is strong. Yes, I know it will get more screentime. But it did not need two victories here just to prove it's strong.

Snivy can probably star in the next gym, she beat the main rival, main pokemon (I know it was a while ago) and got beat Langley Komatana(sorry forgot the english name of this tthing again), I didn't feel so bad for her losing even though I wanted her to win.

I'm still waiting for a sweep in a gym, but a team sweep not a one pokemon only sweep, I think the next gym could work that way.

Venomfang

Perky Goth
Love the lesson that this ep give out. "Hey kids, don't think things through or strategize, just be a typical idiot hero!"

Janovy

Banned
Love the lesson that this ep give out. "Hey kids, don't think things through or strategize, just be a typical idiot hero!"
Or rather the typical; "Just listen to your heart!"

Or rather your intuition. ^^;

Venomfang

Perky Goth
I just didn't like it. Ash thought he could sweep the gym with just Palpitoad. Tynamo only used tackle and its battle with Pikachu wasn't that good. The only part I liked was Emolga.

And once again, we see another pokemon use attract.