• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle-Dazzling the Nimbasa Gym! (711)

Haunter ゴースト

Despite Ash being a huge noob, Pikachu vs Emolga and Tynamo is one of my favourite battles in BW so no matter how hard I try to hate the episode I just can't, the BGM and bond between Ash and Pikachu is incredible.

Dax

Legend
I can't believe I used to like this. I guess I tried to justify the battle because I enjoy Pikachu's and Ash's bond but watching it again, this is definitely the worst gym battle in Unova. It was awful.

Ash suddenly became the dumbest trainer in the world ( you forget Snivy is a female and only bring Palpitoad to the gym? you forget Emolga is a flying type? really?) and there were no intense matches. Add to that Elesa's so-so ability as a gym leader. Your pokemon should listen to your commands and then attack. Tynamo attacked without her orders and it cost her the win.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I can't believe I used to like this. I guess I tried to justify the battle because I enjoy Pikachu's and Ash's bond but watching it again, this is definitely the worst gym battle in Unova. It was awful.

Ash suddenly became the dumbest trainer in the world ( you forget Snivy is a female and only bring Palpitoad to the gym? you forget Emolga is a flying type? really?) and there were no intense matches. Add to that Elesa's so-so ability as a gym leader. Your pokemon should listen to your commands and then attack. Tynamo attacked without her orders and it cost her the win.

Technically, Elesa called Tackle but then Pikachu did the Thunderbotl spam which just delayed the last called Tackle.

It didn't attack out of place as she called it.

Haunter ゴースト

I agree to some extent, Pikachu vs Emolga and Tynamo is brilliant for me, and Ash and Pikachu's bond definetly, everything else was unbearable to watch.

Ash suddenly became the dumbest trainer in the world ( you forget Snivy is a female and only bring Palpitoad to the gym? you forget Emolga is a flying type? really?)

Ugh, this type of moment is where you realise the show is definetly intended for newer audiences, the writers can't be this harsh to older fans who have been watching for years. It feels a waste.

and there were no intense matches.

Pikachu vs Tynamo was very intense!

Add to that Elesa's so-so ability as a gym leader. Your pokemon should listen to your commands and then attack. Tynamo attacked without her orders and it cost her the win.

1 - What Tails Sliat said definetly.

2 - You could say this is Tynamo's personality trait and instinct, it's first though is to attack what it sees, I don't see this as a problem. Elesa obviously took this into consideration when she caught it.

Venomfang

Perky Goth
No idea how the language barrier affects the performance of the episode.

But anyway, I liked the episode, but not Ash. If Ash uses a notebook and his brain, it's clear it's going to a be a recipe for disaster.

In fact, this episode highlighted his weakest character traits: thinking, opposite gender issues, and probably the ignorance of winning a battle with just one type advantage AGAINST his already suicidal handicapped fights against type disadvantages. What a shock.

This is what I hated about the episode. It gave the message that "Being dumb is good, don't think things through, and men have no idea how to tell the diffences between gender" and having Pikachu sweep the gym was just lazy writing.

The only positive thing I can say about this episode is that Palpitoad is a BAMF.

IcySealeo

This episode was so odd... I mean, Ash in this episode was like other person.

They made Ash really different and stupid in this gym battle, and that's what annoys me. How could he forget that Snivy is female? How can he relay only on one Pokemon?

And there was barely any action in this battle. Pikachu OHKOed both Emolga and Tynamo.

That was such a bad and terrible gym battle and I would like that it won't be mentioned ever again.

Dax

Legend
Technically, Elesa called Tackle but then Pikachu did the Thunderbotl spam which just delayed the last called Tackle.

It didn't attack out of place as she called it.

Then why did she look so surprised when it just ran off with the Tackle?

I didn't take it as the Tackle being delayed, more as the attack being interrupted and her needing to command something else after the dust tunnel strategy.

But that makes sense, I guess, so I'll take your reasoning.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

You will NOT come for Elesa like that, sis. She's the best Gym Leader in the Unova region and you will deal.

I actually thought that the Gym battle was great. The only thing that I didn't like was that part where it seemed that Elesa's Tynamo attacked without instruction, but someone already clarified what happened. Still, I wish that things like this would be cleared up in the actual anime, otherwise kids could make wrong assumptions. :x

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Then why did she look so surprised when it just ran off with the Tackle?

I didn't take it as the Tackle being delayed, more as the attack being interrupted and her needing to command something else after the dust tunnel strategy.

But that makes sense, I guess, so I'll take your reasoning.

She looked surprised as she saw what Ash was planning so she wanted to call back her previously said Tackle. At least that's how I saw it.

SmartD

It was a good episode. The battle between Ash and Elesa is neat and the part when Ash's friends were like "what!?" when they learned he only brought Palpitoad.

Agility

Bah.
Anyone else notice they called Emonga by its English name once, and then used "Emonga" the rest of the episode? And it kept its Japanese VA, which is pretty awesome.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I believe the episode had intense battle moments, Like Tynamo vs Pikachu.
It looked like DBZ action getting their bodies imprinted on the walls.

Besides since when did Tackle get that strong?

Haunter ゴースト

NO.

They removed the B/W Ending soundtrack when Pikachu fought against Tynamo!

That was what made the episode so great! Im am really annoyed right now.

This marks the day that I officially prefer the RAW over the DUB...

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I so felt Elesa was flirting with Ash lol

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Like I said, Ash needs to spread his Pokemon's legs like wide open and check in between to list what sex each of his Pokemon is. I REMEMBERED Snivy was a girl!
If Ash ever does this in the future it won't be seen in anime (much to my dismay) in a the Unova league hell probably say Don't worry! I know what gender my Pokemon are now!

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You will NOT come for Elesa like that, sis. She's the best Gym Leader in the Unova region and you will deal.

Her in-game version makes a better representation.

This one is just more upbeat and sticks to her career as a model more. It's very ironic since both Elesas are the opposite of each other.

I like how there was a commercail break at the 2 atrracts part. This pumps the question of Palpitoad's gender.

He's clearly a male.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I hated this episode SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it wasn't for Palpitoad, this would be one of the worst gyms ever!!!!!!!!!

Seriously two one hit KO's??? SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!! God I am so annoyed with this gym!!!!!

AmericanPi

Write on
I hated this episode SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it wasn't for Palpitoad, this would be one of the worst gyms ever!!!!!!!!!

Seriously two one hit KO's??? SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!! God I am so annoyed with this gym!!!!!

The OHKOs seem reasonable though. Emolga (Emolga went down in one hit, right?) and Tynamo are both rather frail Pokemon. Especially Tynamo, plus Iron Tail hit at close range and full force.

Anyways, one of the best battles in BW. Ash's strategy failing was funny but understandable; most of the time Palpitoad would dominate. I especially loved Pikachu vs Tynamo; Pikachu using Thunderbolt to change the battlefield was a very creative strategy. :D

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I finally caught the dub. This was such a dumb episode. Ash becomes a moron who doesn't know his arse from his elbow (moreso than we've seen in a very long time) and Pikachu becomes a jealous shrew. It didn't even make sense that Ash was out of options to battle Emolga with, as he has Roggenrola. An entertaining and at times funny episode, sure, but gym battle victories should reward the better traits of his character, not glorify the lesser ones. I pretty much hated it, and that very rarely happens.