• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Frontier-a failed idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomspot555

I'm accustomed to beating the initial Rock Gyms of regions with a Koffing. How? Stall and defend, and watch the Poison take its toll. All tougher battles involve me stalling and soaking up hits to get the victory. I've tried the offense, when I first played a Pokemon game, it was Crystal. Guess what. I couldn't beat the E4.

You can't play the Battle Frontier the same way you challenge the first (or any) Gym. You won't be able to win the Battle Frontier if you refuse to modify your poor strategy.

Once again, you keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

The_Green_Jester

Agreeing with what randomspot said, the BF will be different cause the AI is a lot higher and you can't use items, making your stalling plan difficult/if not impossible. If you were using a blissey against a special attack team, then stalling would be different cause you have softboiled, toxic/t-wave, s-toss, and another move making stalling easy. But you are just trying the same thing over and over again hoping that you will get different results. the BF is a lot more difficult then the first gym or the e4 for that matter because the pokemon in the BF are the same as the level of your pokemon. Stop trying the same thing over and over again hoping that the trainers you get will have the AI of the first gym because that will never happen in a billion years.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
You can't play the Battle Frontier the same way you challenge the first (or any) Gym. You won't be able to win the Battle Frontier if you refuse to modify your poor strategy.

Once again, you keep doing the same thing and expect different results.
And you keep forgetting that I haven't actually been trying the BF constantly, but just tried to see what it's like. I'm not even aiming to become good at it. I'm not upset over the fact I'm not good at it. I'm upset at the fact that a lot of moves which my Pokemon could learn have to be obtained there.

randomspot555

And you keep forgetting that I haven't actually been trying the BF constantly, but just tried to see what it's like. I'm not even aiming to become good at it. I'm not upset over the fact I'm not good at it. I'm upset at the fact that a lot of moves which my Pokemon could learn have to be obtained there.

Then either use different moves, or use different Pokemon. It is not hard to find stall-Pokemon that learn what you like via level up.

The problem is not the game, the Frontier, etc...The problem is you. For some reason you think the game should be made to cater towards your wants.

The_Green_Jester

what purpose will these tms serve you? You are obviously not going to use it for the BF or competitive battles. The only thing you could use it is for Red (assuming you are playing HG/SS) and the e4. Both of which have full restores, making toxic worthless more or less.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
Then either use different moves, or use different Pokemon. It is not hard to find stall-Pokemon that learn what you like via level up.

The problem is not the game, the Frontier, etc...The problem is you. For some reason you think the game should be made to cater towards your wants.
Criticizing happens when people want something to be different than it currently is. People criticize the games for various reason. You sound like someone who thinks the games are perfect, and should be left as they are, and no criticism is justified.
It is a sad thing that many moves cannot be accessed without BF, and if what you said about the ˝correct way˝ to do well in BF is indeed true, then not only I have to get into BF to gain points to get these moves, but I'd have to change my way of playing, to succeed. That's forcing in true form.
A Dusknoir can cover some of the moves I want, but does that mean I should only use that Pokemon? Again another limitation comes, caused indirectly by the BF. It's like chains.

what purpose will these tms serve you? You are obviously not going to use it for the BF or competitive battles. The only thing you could use it is for Red (assuming you are playing HG/SS) and the e4. Both of which have full restores, making toxic worthless more or less.
Not quite. I can use Embargo, so I'm safe from Full Restores, at least for a certain period. Also, I will attack to finish off crippled opposition, before they're in the red.

Last edited:

randomspot555

Criticizing happens when people want something to be different than it currently is. People criticize the games for various reason. You sound like someone who thinks the games are perfect, and should be left as they are, and no criticism is justified.

The whole point of Pokemon is you play the game as you like it. You don't do stuff you don't like. If you bothered to read my post earlier, you'd know I don't like everything about the game. So I don't play those parts of it.

Those who don't like the Battle Frontier can trade for TMs/items, or get them from other games. There is no limitation, except because you stole the game and can't trade. The only reason this isn't possible for you is because you put limitations on yourself by playing on an emulator/stealing the game.

That's forcing in true form.

No one is forcing you to use those TMs/move tutors. You're self-imposed restrictions/"rules" are. Again, you only have yourself to blame. You're complaining about "limitations" when you are refusing to switch out any of your 6 or so Pokemon.

Last edited:

DBK

Renegade Trainer
It is a sad thing that many moves cannot be accessed without BF, and if what you said about the ˝correct way˝ to do well in BF is indeed true, then not only I have to get into BF to gain points to get these moves, but I'd have to change my way of playing, to succeed. That's forcing in true form.
A Dusknoir can cover some of the moves I want, but does that mean I should only use that Pokemon? Again another limitation comes, caused indirectly by the BF. It's like chains.

god....is this thread still open?

When will you realize that you are causing yourself to fail, not the game or its contents. You say that the game forces you to play a certain way, but in reality you are trying to force the game to accept the way you play, even though your way does not work. Hypocrite, much? There are many ways to do well in the BF as well as in the rest of the game, that is the beauty of it. How can a game that gives you an incredible amount of freedom force you to do anything (outside of the main story)?

Of course, not every option works for every instance, so you change and adapt to something that will. But in your case, you are so fixated and obsessed on using this one particular team (and movesets) as well as on the BF TMs, that you refuse to believe that you are in the wrong or that it is possible to obtain success with another team, then make excuses like "the BF is worthless" and "you absolutely must use your team cause it's your style" to justify your obsession and point of view. Not only that, but you try to use your disabilities (which I don't doubt you have and which probably suck) to further justify your baseless points.

Just close this thread already and spare us the drama.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
The whole point of Pokemon is you play the game as you like it. You don't do stuff you don't like. If you bothered to read my post earlier, you'd know I don't like everything about the game. So I don't play those parts of it.

Those who don't like the Battle Frontier can trade for TMs/items, or get them from other games. There is no limitation, except because you stole the game and can't trade. The only reason this isn't possible for you is because you put limitations on yourself by playing on an emulator/stealing the game.

No one is forcing you to use those TMs/move tutors. You're self-imposed restrictions/"rules" are. Again, you only have yourself to blame. You're complaining about "limitations" when you are refusing to switch out any of your 6 or so Pokemon.
I may get a DS XL soon. That would take care of trades, perhaps. What about the BF move tutors?
And no, no rule regulates the use of these moves. I'd simply like to improve the defensive capability of my team.

Duality Ninja

LOLWUT IM PR0ZORZ
Wow. If you don't like it, stop playing. Is it actually that hard to win sometimes at the BF? I've never had a problem with it, or the time it takes to get a TM.. Remember the number one rule of life; if you want something, you have to work for it. I bet you don't have a job and ask for all your money.

shinylover24

I agree. Your limitations are self-imposed. If you could just buy the TMs and such for coins, why would anyone play the BF? There needs to be some kind of incentive and as I think all who've replied are defending the Frontier, it's hard to say that it's failed when you are the only one who dislikes it. No one said the games were perfect, we all have things we don't like or wish they would bring back. Your reasons just aren't very constructive and your solution is nigh impossible to ever happen. Also, the other solution - trading - is brilliant on nintendo's part to actually engage with other players. I'm not even sure what kind of joy you can get playing a game like Pokemon on an emulator because it has such potential to be interactive. Your excuses of your eyes or money are laughable. If you really wanted to play legally, you would. You're just a cheapskate.

The reason I keep saying it seems that you want a strategy that will beat one of the facilities quickly is because since you HATE it so much, I thought you would want to get through it as easily as possible and get your friggin TMs. Clearly, you would rather whine and complain than actually get what you were looking for in the first place.

I may get a DS XL soon. That would take care of trades, perhaps. What about the BF move tutors?
And no, no rule regulates the use of these moves. I'd simply like to improve the defensive capability of my team.

I just don't get it. On one hand you say you don't have money to get even a regular ds (WHICH by the way does not have extremely bright light) but you would get the XL which will be more expensive and probably as bright or brighter than a ds lite? I'm not sure I believe anything you say because it doesn't add up.

Sorry I am a little long-winded but your attitude really stinks.

Last edited:

projectaumaan

I may get a DS XL soon. That would take care of trades, perhaps.

Do what you want, but I'd say that's a bad buy. If you're getting an add'l DS for trades, buy a used DS Lite. It'll hurt less when the 3DS (or whatever it'll be called) is released.

Wow. If you don't like it, stop playing. Is it actually that hard to win sometimes at the BF? I've never had a problem with it, or the time it takes to get a TM.. Remember the number one rule of life; if you want something, you have to work for it. I bet you don't have a job and ask for all your money.

I wholly agree, except for the bold-ed part...that's just mean. ;201-m;;201-e;;201-a;;201-n;

But yeah, the BF is HARD. That's how it's supposed to be. There are item/TM trading forums here you know!

EDIT:
shinylover24 said:
I just don't get it. On one hand you say you don't have money to get even a regular ds (WHICH by the way does not have extremely bright light) but you would get the XL which will be more expensive and probably as bright or brighter than a ds lite? I'm not sure I believe anything you say because it doesn't add up.

Perhaps he's thinking the XL will be a gift? His personal finances are none of our business...

Last edited:

The_Green_Jester

I think this should be closed. Everything has been covered to death, and he is just ignoring all of us and your limitations are self-imposed. If the reward is hard, you actually have to work to get it, the tms aren't going to be handed to you on a silver platter with a cherry on top. Also since you are playing illegally on a rom, you can just hack for the tms. Know your responses, you will say you can't because you don't know how to. Plus why buy a ds xl later, if you read my post then you would've seen that you could probably buy a ds plus HG/SS on ebay for a low price.

DBK

Renegade Trainer
I think this should be closed. Everything has been covered to death, and he is just ignoring all of us and your limitations are self-imposed. If the reward is hard, you actually have to work to get it, the tms aren't going to be handed to you on a silver platter with a cherry on top. Also since you are playing illegally on a rom, you can just hack for the tms. Know your responses, you will say you can't because you don't know how to. Plus why buy a ds xl later, if you read my post then you would've seen that you could probably buy a ds plus HG/SS on ebay for a low price.

Agreed. The few who have helped have done all they can and all the options have been put on the table. However, he is ignoring all of that and has an excuse for everything. This thread has become a "flame the thread creator" thread and needs to go.

**Flash**

Dragon Raiser
Seriously you should just get a AR. Your basically saying they should make it easier to beat the BF. Or even reduce the cost of TM's When they specifically made it to be a challenge. You cannot always get what you want without having to put a little effort into a game, Besides there are alot of pokemon that learn good move sets. If you dont want to earn BP then you should think about catching new pokemon. Or even play a new game...

El Deadlito

The Amis
This guy is obviously a troll, or just plain bad to ask for help and then ignore anything. He seems bit too serious but.. Maybe he's new.

Ernie_facepalm_by_ridinrail.jpg

Really useless thread, main idea would have been okey but then this turned to this abomination.

Last edited:

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
I agree. Your limitations are self-imposed. If you could just buy the TMs and such for coins, why would anyone play the BF? There needs to be some kind of incentive and as I think all who've replied are defending the Frontier, it's hard to say that it's failed when you are the only one who dislikes it. No one said the games were perfect, we all have things we don't like or wish they would bring back. Your reasons just aren't very constructive and your solution is nigh impossible to ever happen. Also, the other solution - trading - is brilliant on nintendo's part to actually engage with other players. I'm not even sure what kind of joy you can get playing a game like Pokemon on an emulator because it has such potential to be interactive. Your excuses of your eyes or money are laughable. If you really wanted to play legally, you would. You're just a cheapskate.

The reason I keep saying it seems that you want a strategy that will beat one of the facilities quickly is because since you HATE it so much, I thought you would want to get through it as easily as possible and get your friggin TMs. Clearly, you would rather whine and complain than actually get what you were looking for in the first place.

I myself haven't got enough money. But my mother may be able to buy me a DS XL, soon. So far, she hasn't bee able, and that's why I used an emulator. And it's not about the brightness, it's about the size of the screen. The bigger it is, the less strain on my healthy eye. This is why DS Lite is a madman's idea.
And yes, I don't have a job, but that's because I have to be diligent in studying and taking university exams, so I could get a job someday. And I, due to my disabilities, cannot do most of the jobs people would suggest.
I don't use these exact Pokemon in every game. I change the team, but the defensive setup is always there. DBK, if there indeed are many ways to succeed in the BF, then what's wrong with stalling?
If BF doesn't allow defensive setups to succeed, then it's another reason to criticize it.
BF is a restrictive concept, noticeable from the rules itself:no experience gained, you can field at most a team of 3 Pokemon, you can pay only with BP, you can only fight the Brain if you have done several rounds in a row, without losing.
Compared to normal, in-game battles, this is so unnatural.

Somebody from the company had said about the new games, along the lines of this:˝There will be so many new and different things in the new generation, you'll be wondering if this really is Pokemon.˝ Well, I hope the changes are as deep as possible, and that they involve BF.

thetifftiff

I have to say, to go with the beginning and your question in the title, no. The battle frontier is an awesome idea and it gives more of a challenge either to people who don't have wifi or people who don't always have someone to play with. It gives me a reason to ev train considering I have to sit in the dinning room (and turn on my netbook if I want to continue a conversation) just to get a signal on my ds and friends don't always want to battle. Battle Revolution's a good alternative (somehow Wii gets wifi in here when the DS doesn't) but more often than not I end up against boring people and hackers... who are also boring. Also I often end up against the same person three times. It can be fun but it's missing quite a bit that I can get from the handheld games. Not to mention the times when the AI is smarter than real people I've faced. Using water attacks on a water absorb quagsire once is forgivable, I don't even think the AI would do it twice. >_>

Anyway, I love the Battle Frontier and especially the Battle Hall which is one thing I will suggest for you. One on one battles get over with quicker, you can do short streaks pretty easy by picking things that your pokemon are strong against (I wouldn't recommend long streaks starting with your weaknesses since you don't want to breed, check ivs, or ev train) and even if you never see the brain, getting streaks with different species of pokemon will add up and the guy next to the monitor will give you BP for the total you've reached.

There's also the Battle Factory as others have suggested (and I'm surprised it took until the fourth page to come up). You don't need to ev train for that, it's all done for you. In fact, it'll give you a chance to try some new pokes. I understand you like your favourites and no one can force you to use anything else, nor should they try, but variety is good. It's fun to try pokemon you've never used before and you might even be inspired to train some you never thought you liked. I'm not just talking about the ones everyone uses, there are 493 total pokemon and you're barely scratching the surface with the ones you use. I know you like them but have you tried every species? Who's to say there's not another you like that you just haven't thought about?

As for ev training, it's actually easy once you get used to. It can be time consuming but it can also be fun. Of course it was more fun in DPPt where you could chain... Serebii's main site has a pokedex in which you can easily see what pokemon gives out how many of what evs, I always check that when I'm ev training unless I can come up with something really obvious (starly/pidgey/rattata give 1 speed ev and shinx/sentret give 1 attack ev, geodudes give a defense ev, ect) so depending on what I'm trainging and its level, I don't even always need to consult it. I keep a notebook with little tickmarks for every ev and circle ever ten tick marks (in sets of five) and usually have two sets of ten for each stat in a row. I write down numbers by twenty or ten (depending on how I'm doing it) just to make it even neater. There are also vitamins since you apparently have so much money, those can get a stat up to ten with no problem.

As for you using an emulator, yeah that's pretty illegal in most cases. I'm pretty sure, but don't hold me to this, that it's ok if you actually own the game (as a lot of places that allow downloads specifically say that they're to back up games you own even though they know very well that's not what people do with them) but otherwise it's definitely illegal. I'm not going to say I've never done it and I'm sure there are people here who pirate games, software, movies, and especially music so it's not like you're doing something anyone here hasn't known someone else to do.

Though there is no justified reason to steal. People do it, doesn't make it any less wrong. And being handicapped and jobless is not an excuse. Besides, if you're as bad off as you make yourself sound (pre-birth stroke? O_O) maybe it's time to see what your country offers in terms of monetary support for the disabled. I know here in the US they shell it out to just about anyone with the right papers and doctor's notes (more often people who don't need it than people who do based on those I've known) so I would hope they'd have something in place where you are for the people who actually need the assistance. Your mom can't support you forever.

That being said, you have no problem pirating the game so why do you have a problem with hacking? If I remember right, emulators often have a place to put in cheat codes and if you really want those tms and moves so bad, there's no reason you can't hack them if you don't want to do the work. You could even look into whether or not pokesav works with emulators as I'm too lazy to do that, I know it works with those fancy cartridges that let you play roms on the DS as I know someone who does that and the roms are the same files whether on a computer based emulator or one the DS so who knows. And when/if you get a real DS, you can just buy an Action Replay that will do the same as any emulator based cheating system.

My point, as I do have one, is that just because you don't like the Battle Frontier or the fact that you need BP to get certain moves, doesn't mean no one else does. I enjoy the challenge personally and I know plenty of other people do. There are also people who hate Voltorb Flip but that's another thing in the game I love. I'm not even bothered that you can't buy coins as the game is so addicting.

thetifftiff

I have to say, to go with the beginning and your question in the title, no. The battle frontier is an awesome idea and it gives more of a challenge either to people who don't have wifi or people who don't always have someone to play with. It gives me a reason to ev train considering I have to sit in the dinning room (and turn on my netbook if I want to continue a conversation) just to get a signal on my ds and friends don't always want to battle. Battle Revolution's a good alternative (somehow Wii gets wifi in here when the DS doesn't) but more often than not I end up against boring people and hackers... who are also boring. Also I often end up against the same person three times. It can be fun but it's missing quite a bit that I can get from the handheld games. Not to mention the times when the AI is smarter than real people I've faced. Using water attacks on a water absorb quagsire once is forgivable, I don't even think the AI would do it twice. >_>

Anyway, I love the Battle Frontier and especially the Battle Hall which is one thing I will suggest for you. One on one battles get over with quicker, you can do short streaks pretty easy by picking things that your pokemon are strong against (I wouldn't recommend long streaks starting with your weaknesses since you don't want to breed, check ivs, or ev train) and even if you never see the brain, getting streaks with different species of pokemon will add up and the guy next to the monitor will give you BP for the total you've reached.

There's also the Battle Factory as others have suggested (and I'm surprised it took until the fourth page to come up). You don't need to ev train for that, it's all done for you. In fact, it'll give you a chance to try some new pokes. I understand you like your favourites and no one can force you to use anything else, nor should they try, but variety is good. It's fun to try pokemon you've never used before and you might even be inspired to train some you never thought you liked. I'm not just talking about the ones everyone uses, there are 493 total pokemon and you're barely scratching the surface with the ones you use. I know you like them but have you tried every species? Who's to say there's not another you like that you just haven't thought about?

As for ev training, it's actually easy once you get used to. It can be time consuming but it can also be fun. Of course it was more fun in DPPt where you could chain... Serebii's main site has a pokedex in which you can easily see what pokemon gives out how many of what evs, I always check that when I'm ev training unless I can come up with something really obvious (starly/pidgey/rattata give 1 speed ev and shinx/sentret give 1 attack ev, geodudes give a defense ev, ect) so depending on what I'm trainging and its level, I don't even always need to consult it. I keep a notebook with little tickmarks for every ev and circle ever ten tick marks (in sets of five) and usually have two sets of ten for each stat in a row. I write down numbers by twenty or ten (depending on how I'm doing it) just to make it even neater. There are also vitamins since you apparently have so much money, those can get a stat up to ten with no problem.

As for you using an emulator, yeah that's pretty illegal in most cases. I'm pretty sure, but don't hold me to this, that it's ok if you actually own the game (as a lot of places that allow downloads specifically say that they're to back up games you own even though they know very well that's not what people do with them) but otherwise it's definitely illegal. I'm not going to say I've never done it and I'm sure there are people here who pirate games, software, movies, and especially music so it's not like you're doing something anyone here hasn't known someone else to do.

Though there is no justified reason to steal. People do it, doesn't make it any less wrong. And being handicapped and jobless is not an excuse. Besides, if you're as bad off as you make yourself sound (pre-birth stroke? O_O) maybe it's time to see what your country offers in terms of monetary support for the disabled. I know here in the US they shell it out to just about anyone with the right papers and doctor's notes (more often people who don't need it than people who do based on those I've known) so I would hope they'd have something in place where you are for the people who actually need the assistance. Your mom can't support you forever.

That being said, you have no problem pirating the game so why do you have a problem with hacking? If I remember right, emulators often have a place to put in cheat codes and if you really want those tms and moves so bad, there's no reason you can't hack them if you don't want to do the work. You could even look into whether or not pokesav works with emulators as I'm too lazy to do that, I know it works with those fancy cartridges that let you play roms on the DS as I know someone who does that and the roms are the same files whether on a computer based emulator or one the DS so who knows. And when/if you get a real DS, you can just buy an Action Replay that will do the same as any emulator based cheating system.

My point, as I do have one, is that just because you don't like the Battle Frontier or the fact that you need BP to get certain moves, doesn't mean no one else does. I enjoy the challenge personally and I know plenty of other people do. There are also people who hate Voltorb Flip but that's another thing in the game I love. I'm not even bothered that you can't buy coins as the game is so addicting.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.

Having to use cheat codes isn't nice, but since the game is set up the way it is, I might have to...
And there is help that our government gives, but still, a DS isn't easily obtainable, when most of the money goes off to electricity bills and food. I even receive a scholarship based on my good grades, but it hasn't been enough to finance a DS, until my mother got a pay rise. Soon, I may get it.
I understand people may like it, and it's their right to try to achieve a great result, and brag about 130 or so victories in BT. But the moves, that's the issue. If they could be payable with the usual money(which I always have in huge amounts that pile up, for nothing), the problem would be solved.
Regarding the issue of my narrow selection... I play with those Pokemon that I like using. It may be a small number of them, but it can't be forcefully expanded. I said in this thread, I've never used around 80% of the entire Pokedex. These Pokemon I don't like. The other 20% I do. And I feel happy training them. If I ever get a desire to play BF, nobody will force me to have a Tyranitar, a Starmie, or a Weavile, or anything similar. I cannot bring myself to use such a Pokemon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.