• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Frontier Team for Emerald

CrystalGuard2

World Wanderer
This is my team that I plan to challenge the Battle Frontier with. I'm not doing IV training or breeding to get the perfect nature an stats, but will do EV training. Please rate.

Latios EVs

Psychic SpAttack: 255
DragonClaw HP:200
Fly Speed:55
Recover

Seviper EVs

PoisonTail Attack:255
FuryCutter Speed:255
Flamethrower
Earthquake

Regice EVs

Blizzard HP:200
Ancientpower Defense:155
Superpower SpDefense:155
Thunderbolt/ZapCannon

Also, I'm hoping to get a shiny Seviper (yeah, I know it's nearly impossible, it'll be my first shiny (excluding the red Gyarados in G/S/C).

There is no such thing as IV training.

In the future, could you please separate the EV spreads from the pokemon's moves? It looks very confusing as it is.

If you plan on using Seviper in the Battle Frontier, giving it a lot of speed will probably be useless. It's a very slow pokemon to begin with, so it can't expect to outrun anything important. May as well give it HP or possibly split it into the defensive stats. And you may as well use Sludge Bomb in place of Poison Tail. The "high critical hit ratio" is nowhere near as good as it sounds. Also put Crunch in place of Fury Cutter.

Regice is better at using special attacks, for instance:
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Toxic
-Seismic Toss/Superpower
The first two moves are good enough to hit most pokemon for decent damage, Toxic can be used on tougher enemies, Seismic Toss can be used against pokemon that do resist both moves, and Superpower is for hitting Chansey/Blissey (who will come up from time to time to drive you insane). Blizzard and Zap Cannon have crap accuracy so it's not worth using them.

Hi.

Latios @ Lum Berry
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Seviper
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

Kinda bad Pokemon. Item and EV spread can be whatever you want them to be. I'm no Seviper exper so probably the moveset too, ha.

Regice @ Leftovers
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Toxic/Sleep Talk

I don't see why you're bothering with EV training if you're not going to bother with breeding, but whatver.

CrystalGuard2

World Wanderer
Okay. I just made a new team. Just so you guys know, breeding to perfection is JUST. PLAIN. STUPID. and I don't care for the IVs.

Latios

Psychic
Dragon Claw
Ice Beam
Recover

Seviper

Sludgebomb
Crunch
Flamethrower
Earthquake

Regice

Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rest
Superpower

Finally, Latios is going to be a special sweeper (sp.attack, hp, speed), Regice a tank (defense, sp.defense, hp), and Seviper is going to be an "offense tank" (attack, sp.attack, hp). Hope it's better!

Well we can't expect you to breed if you're using legendaries, now can we? Or a shiny pokemon?

Your team does look a lot better now though.

CrystalGuard2

World Wanderer
Gilgamesh, I want Regice to be a TANK!! One that takes a lot of hits! Attack and Sp.Attack will not be increased in EV training. I also like Superpower! I know Latios will be unable to get past Steel types, but in my last try at the BF (I have a bad habit of restarting!), I didn't see many Steel types.

Breeding to perfection is stupid, and I DON'T DO IT!!! They're your team mates, friends. Not your tools of war!

Gilgamesh, I want Regice to be a TANK!! One that takes a lot of hits! Attack and Sp.Attack will not be increased in EV training.

A tank is supposed to be able to take hits and dish out damage. Regice's sdef is godly, therefore it is a complete waste to put any EVs at all into it.

I know Latios will be unable to get past Steel types, but in my last try at the BF (I have a bad habit of restarting!), I didn't see many Steel types.

Then you probably didn't get very far. Steel types are not uncommon. Metagross will kill your team without even trying.

CrystalGuard2

World Wanderer
Running into Metagross at the BF is a 1 out of 376 chance. Not very likely. Besides, battles aren't judged by type advantages! Also, you are right. I could only get near the Battle Pike's Leader. The best I did was to get knocked out by either her Milotic (dumb serpent) or her Shuckle (dang worm in a rock). And beat the Pyramid once. I once thought that the Frontier Brains gave their Pokemon steroids!!! (yeah, pretty stupid)
Regice's Sp.Defense may be godly, but still, I won't give EV points to Attack, or Sp.Attack. I'll just put more to Defense. Happy?

crazymoose

Tailow!
what held items do they have? does regice have like a chesto berry or something? and i would also recommend taking superpower off, it won't do much damage and it'll lower your abilities. i may recommend regirock for this spot instead, seeing as you already have your special attacker and mixed attacker. and just FYI, if you can get a swagger from lucy's seviper and then snap out of the confusion (with a persim berry) seviper can sweep her whole silver team with eq. one hit for her seviper, one for milotic and 2 or thre (i forgot) for shuckle

CrystalGuard2

World Wanderer
Whoa. You think that if I get a swagger from lucy's seviper and heal it with a persim berry, that I can wipeout lucy's whole silver team? Wow. I don't want Regirock or Registeel, beause they look rather odd. I might replace Regice with the Skarmory I've been training, a Ninjask, or try a Shedinja (weak battler, but plenty of physical moves).
I'm still not sure about items, as they might be changed depending on the area.

Running into Metagross at the BF is a 1 out of 376 chance.

Nope. As you win battles, you will notice that the Pokemon you face become stronger and stronger. Metagross, being a strong Pokemon, appears very frequently. If you haven't seen many of them yet, you will later on.

Metagross will not be your only problem though, your teams has a huge problem with switching into physical attackers in general. Heracross, Agrron, Aerodactyl... none of your Pokes are going to like switching into any of them.

Last edited:
If you plan on using a Shedinja: I find that it is very useful in the Battle Palace, the place where you cannot command your pokemon. I don't remember how far it got me, but the idea was to rack up lots of battle points quickly. Nonetheless, it should still be pretty useful:
Shedinja
Quirky/Hardy/Hasty/Docile/Naive nature
255 att, 255 speed
-Shadow Ball
-Silver Wind (Breed female Ninjask/Nincada with male Butterfree that knows the move.)
-Return/Aerial Ace/Confuse Ray
-"
The suggested natures make it most likely to use an attacking move on each turn. The adamant nature does not. If your opponent is something likely to know a move that will kill Shedinja, such as a Taillow, switch out to something that can handle it. If the opponent does not have anything that can hurt Shedinja, they will switch out, and then you can switch out and you can switch Shedinja back in if you need to later when they send out the original pokemon again.

Again, as I said before, I've never actually gotten up to the boss using this pokemon (I had already beat him the first time, and I wasn't paying enough attention when I was using him to actually get much farther). But it should still be useful.

Mark J

Has thick fat.
Latios@Leftovers
Modest/Timid Nature
-Psychic
-Calm Mind
-Surf/Flamethrower
-Recover

Calm Mind up and sweep, very simple strategy really. Don´t use Calm Mind If you´re up against a potential 3KOer, Just begin sweeping away. Surf is for normal hits, Flamethrower is if you are afraid of running into steel types. There´s no need for Dclaw+Psychic, one STAB move is enough.

Also, Regice with superpower isn´t the worst of ideas, It´s kind of like overheat. It´d be great for dealing with Special walls like Blissey/Chansey/Snorlax.

As for Seviper, I don´t like him at all... you´d be much better off with a Gengar;

Gengar@Choice Band
Mild/Lonely Nature
-Sludge Bomb
-Shadow Ball
-Psychic
-Filler move, anything you like.

-Mark

CrystalGuard2

World Wanderer
Okay. I decided to include my Sceptile in the team as back-up if I want to switch. Sceptile has a Rash nature and I plan to have this moveset: Leaf Blade, Fury Cutter, Slam/Rock Tomb, Pursuit. I'm unable to do much with EVs, sadly. Latios will have: Dragon Claw, Psychic, Flaethrower, Recover. Fly will replace recover after I've completed the Battle Frontier. Seviper will remain with the same moveset of: Sludgebomb, Flamethrower, Earthquake, Crunch.
I'm also having trouble finding a Physical Sweeper, but might go of with a Zangoose with: Slash, Fury Cutter, ShadowBall, Brick Break. Still deciding though...

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Sceptile @ Leftovers
Modest/Timid Nature
~Leaf Blade
~Thunderpunch
~Substitute
~Leech Seed

Zangoose
Adamant/Jolly Nature
~Swords Dance
~Return
~Shadow Ball
~Brick Break

Mark J

Has thick fat.
Hmm. For Sceptile, I would put Toxic over Leech Seed. Toxic just deals with them much faster, while leech seed is continuous 1/16 damage... Don´t know really :)

If you don´t want to rebreed Sceptile, which I suggest you do, go with this set:

Sceptile@Leftovers
Rash Nature
EVs: 252Spd/129def/129Spa
-Leaf Blade
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Leech Seed

Start with toxic, followed by Leech seed, then sub and sweep. All I can think of with rash, it´s not good >.>

As for Latios, the set you drew up is simply terrible. Lati@s without Calm Mind is like Salamence without Earthquake (laughable).

Latios@Leftovers
Timid/Calm/Modest Nature
EVs: 252Spa/129Spd/129Spe
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Dragon Claw
-Recover
-Flamethrower/Surf/Ice Beam

Live to that set, it´s pretty much the only one that should be feared.

As for Zangoose, I highly suggest going with an Adamant nature. There´s very few fighting types out there that outrun it. Watch for brick breakers though, there´s plenty of those about. Aerial Ace and Counter are also two possible moves for him, but don´t attempt to counter any Snorlax/Aggron, they´ll Focus Punch right through you.

For Zangoose´s EVs:

Zangoose
Jolly/Adamant Nature
EVs: 252Atk/252Spe/6Hp

-Mark

PK Magic

Zangoose

Swords Dance
Crush Claw
Shadow Ball/Shadow Punch/Aerial Ace
Brick Break

Fury cutter takes too many turns to be effective, and besides its weak to start out with. If you end up having Zangoose w/ slash (going against my thoughts but oh well) you might consider giving him a Scope Lens to increase criticals

Mark J

Has thick fat.
Zangoose

Swords Dance
Crush Claw
Shadow Ball/Shadow Punch/Aerial Ace
Brick Break

Fury cutter takes too many turns to be effective, and besides its weak to start out with. If you end up having Zangoose w/ slash (going against my thoughts but oh well) you might consider giving him a Scope Lens to increase criticals

Return outranks both Crush Claw and Slash, If happiness is maxed out it has a base power of 100 =]

Shadow punch is not very good, not enough DTing ghosts and Psychics out there. Go with Aerial Ace + Shadow ball, no Brick Break.

-Mark