• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Maison (Super) Singles. [RMT]

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
Considering how the Battle Maison is technically an in-game thing, I hope I'm posting in the right place.
Anyway, this is the most recent team I've used in the Super Singles mode of Battle Maison, and for once I've done a lot better compared to past teams I've used. I bred and raised all of these myself, and I'd like some feedback on how to improve this team.
My current team features a yolobirdy, a physically-defensive ducky, and a specially-defensive soaking angler fishy. ^^;

Muku (Staraptor♂) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31 (Flawless.)
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double Edge
- U-turn

Mr. Ducky (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/ 176 Def / 80 SpDef
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Recover

Hydrozap (Lanturn♂) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpAtk / 216 SpDef
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
- Discharge
- Scald
- Confuse Ray
- Soak

A couple of notes:
- I lead with Staraptor. He's my main physical attacker and my scouter.
- Porygon2 is my defensive ducky, and I find Trace really useful for ability scouting, mindgaming, etc. I might consider replacing Thunderbolt for Tri Attack (for STAB) or Shadow Ball (for more coverage), but I haven't completely decided yet.
- My Lanturn is raised to utilize parafusion with a chance of burn on the side. He also has Soak to remove STAB from opponent's pokes (won't work on those with Water Absorb or Storm Drain obviously), as well as leaving them vulnerable to Discharge. I went for Discharge over Thunderbolt for a higher chance of paralysis.

And yes, in case you're wondering, I find it more fun to use pokes at BL tier and under. xD I may consider a swap or two somewhere, but we'll see. o.o

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Personally, I'm not crazy about gimmicky sets like the Lanturn one you're running, I would suggest running a stronger special attacker that doesn't rely so heavily on paralysis or burn.

As for Porygon2, I suggest changing it to this;

Porygon2 @ Bold
Trace @ Eviolite
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Sp. Def
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Thunder Wave means he can Recover off damage from the opponent before they can attack, the increased Def EVs allow him to tank more Physical Fighting moves, and Ice Beam is handy for Dragons and Ground types that are immune to Thunder Wave. You could swap Thunderbolt for Tri Attack if you wish, but the status chance from Tri Attack comes in handy in my own experience. I'm not sure how it happened, but it froze a Volcarona for 10 turns in the Battle Maison, saved my *** as all I had left was a Scizor T_T'

I would also suggest using it as your lead instead of Staraptor (I assume Staraptor is the lead because it is the first set you posted.)

Staraptor is a basic set from Smogon, nothing wrong there.

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
Personally, I'm not crazy about gimmicky sets like the Lanturn one you're running, I would suggest running a stronger special attacker that doesn't rely so heavily on paralysis or burn.

As for Porygon2, I suggest changing it to this;

Porygon2 @ Bold
Trace @ Eviolite
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Sp. Def
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Thunder Wave means he can Recover off damage from the opponent before they can attack, the increased Def EVs allow him to tank more Physical Fighting moves, and Ice Beam is handy for Dragons and Ground types that are immune to Thunder Wave. You could swap Thunderbolt for Tri Attack if you wish, but the status chance from Tri Attack comes in handy in my own experience. I'm not sure how it happened, but it froze a Volcarona for 10 turns in the Battle Maison, saved my *** as all I had left was a Scizor T_T'

I would also suggest using it as your lead instead of Staraptor (I assume Staraptor is the lead because it is the first set you posted.)

Staraptor is a basic set from Smogon, nothing wrong there.
Yeah, Staraptor is my lead. I can do a safe U-turn out if the opponent sends out a threat and I can swap in to something bulkier.

But yeah, I can definitely vouch for the Porygon2 set. With that moveset, however, that will allow me to swap Lanturn out for another special attacker.
Besides Greninja (as I haven't bred one for myself yet), any other special attackers you'd recommend?
I also have a battle-ready Volcarona I've used in my past Battle Maison teams, but that will leave me wide open to Rock-types. x_x;

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Yeah, Staraptor is my lead. I can do a safe U-turn out if the opponent sends out a threat and I can swap in to something bulkier.

But yeah, I can definitely vouch for the Porygon2 set. With that moveset, however, that will allow me to swap Lanturn out for another special attacker.
Besides Greninja (as I haven't bred one for myself yet), any other special attackers you'd recommend?
I also have a battle-ready Volcarona I've used in my past Battle Maison teams, but that will leave me wide open to Rock-types. x_x;

I would probably suggest Greninja to start with, though even with Protean changing types, it can't change to anything that resists Electric, and any other Water type to add means this team is entirely shut down by Electric types, which Porygon2 can't do much to with their immunity to Thunder Wave.

Magnezone could be a possible good addition, it resists Electric, Ice, and Rock for Staraptor, who is Immune to its Ground weakness, only issue then is Fighting types that hit Porygon2 and Mag for SE and then for neutral on Staraptor.

Maybe consider changing Staraptor to something else?

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
I would probably suggest Greninja to start with, though even with Protean changing types, it can't change to anything that resists Electric, and any other Water type to add means this team is entirely shut down by Electric types, which Porygon2 can't do much to with their immunity to Thunder Wave.

Magnezone could be a possible good addition, it resists Electric, Ice, and Rock for Staraptor, who is Immune to its Ground weakness, only issue then is Fighting types that hit Porygon2 and Mag for SE and then for neutral on Staraptor.

Oooh, I actually have a battle ready Magnezone with this set.

Magnezone @ (held item to be determined)
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Speed
IVs: 31/30/31/30/31/30
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

With the held item, however, considering its low speed, I might have to slap a Choice Scarf on that one, as well. But having more than one Choice user is a little iffy. :/
Hmmm... I'll probably just start breeding myself a Protean Froakie and raise that one. Then, I'll be able to test things and see how well it'll go from there. I'll be able to figure out by then whether or not to swap Staraptor for a different physical attacker.

Of course, knowing myself being distracted with other breeding projects, not sure when that will happen. xD
Am I allowed to bump my own thread here when I've made more progress? Or is there a limit to when bumping a thread is considered necroposting?

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Oooh, I actually have a battle ready Magnezone with this set.

Magnezone @ (held item to be determined)
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Speed
IVs: 31/30/31/30/31/30
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

With the held item, however, considering its low speed, I might have to slap a Choice Scarf on that one, as well. But having more than one Choice user is a little iffy. :/
Hmmm... I'll probably just start breeding myself a Protean Froakie and raise that one. Then, I'll be able to test things and see how well it'll go from there. I'll be able to figure out by then whether or not to swap Staraptor for a different physical attacker.

Of course, knowing myself being distracted with other breeding projects, not sure when that will happen. xD
Am I allowed to bump my own thread here when I've made more progress? Or is there a limit to when bumping a thread is considered necroposting?

If you have one, I would possibly suggest Air Balloon as an item if you don't want two Choice Items.

If you want, you could go for the DragMag combo, which is basically any Dragon + Magnezone = fantastic offensive and defensive core.

Now I would suggest a Dragon/Flying type like MultiScale Dragonite or Moxie Mence to take Ground / Fighting / Fire type attacks for Maggy, who in turn would take Ice / Dragon / Fairy type attacks.

Heck, you could even go to Altaria if you wanted to stick to your "using BL tier Pokemon" mantra, but the drop in power is significant. There is always Flygon, who can run Hone Claws or even a Scarf / Band set.

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
If you have one, I would possibly suggest Air Balloon as an item if you don't want two Choice Items.

If you want, you could go for the DragMag combo, which is basically any Dragon + Magnezone = fantastic offensive and defensive core.

Now I would suggest a Dragon/Flying type like MultiScale Dragonite or Moxie Mence to take Ground / Fighting / Fire type attacks for Maggy, who in turn would take Ice / Dragon / Fairy type attacks.

Heck, you could even go to Altaria if you wanted to stick to your "using BL tier Pokemon" mantra, but the drop in power is significant. There is always Flygon, who can run Hone Claws or even a Scarf / Band set.
Yeah, I have an Air Balloon I can use. And Dragons, I can definitely do. xD
The only fully trained Dragon I have for now is Altaria, but she's moreso defensive Dragon Dance with Heal Bell. (Transferred from 5th gen.)
In fact, however, I can IV breed/raise a Dragonite/Salamence since I already have the parents for them.
Any thoughts on a Multiscale Dragonite with Weakness Policy? I heard it's pretty decent, and I'd actually want to try that sometime. I never got to figure out how the EVs are distributed on that set, though.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Yeah, I have an Air Balloon I can use. And Dragons, I can definitely do. xD
The only fully trained Dragon I have for now is Altaria, but she's moreso defensive Dragon Dance with Heal Bell. (Transferred from 5th gen.)
In fact, however, I can IV breed/raise a Dragonite/Salamence since I already have the parents for them.
Any thoughts on a Multiscale Dragonite with Weakness Policy? I heard it's pretty decent, and I'd actually want to try that sometime. I never got to figure out how the EVs are distributed on that set, though.

If this team was more hyper offensive, maybe a Weakness Policy set would be better.

But with Thunder Wave support from Porygon2, I think a Dragon Dance set would be better, more consistency, and less hoping for a super effective attack.

Dragonite @ Adamant / Jolly
Multiscale @ Lum Berry
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extremespeed / Fire Punch / Roost
- Dragon Dance

Basic DD set, Dragon Claw for more security, Outrage for more power. The new issue of Fairies mean you can't just blast away with Outrage, which is why Dragon Claw is slashed. Though in my own experience going for each of the Battle Maison trophies (I have all 5 btw), Fairies aren't all that common. Earthquake is great just as a coverage move and also for non floating Steels and Fairies. Extremespeed comes in handy for priority, as Dragonite at 0 or even +1, and can pick off Focus Sashes, especially incredibly annoying Fake Out+Fling Razor Fang Weavile / Ambipom that annoys me constantly. Roost if you want to reactivate Multiscale, or Fire Punch for floating Fairies and Steels. Lum Berry is handy to get rid of burns and paralysis, and also helps with Outrage confusion should you go that route.

If you'd prefer a WP set, you could drop Dragon Dance, and have Outrage or Dragon Claw / EQ / Extremespeed / Fire Punch. You'll have to run Extremespeed on a WP set to make up for the speed loss, but at +2 it'll hurt.

Last edited:

Habblox

#Donthateprocrastin8

Greninja can learn spikes/dig. Dig is most definitely the least-favoured option since it's a two-turner, but Spikes could be used if the roster is changed up a bit so that Greninja becomes a lead and turns into a ground type upon laying hazards. I'm telling you, in the Battle Spot, this has screwed over so many trainers I battled against. Nobody expects you to actually ruin spikes on Greninja. You'll still be exposed to grass type moves, though.

Last edited: