• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Points - Why not have online battles reward them?

Banebdjetet

Pokemon Scientist
I've been creating competitive VGC teams since BW, and I've never understood why battle points are rewarded solely for in-game events when the main reason that many people grind for them is to get items necessary for competitive play?

Why not have online Battle Spot battles reward with Battle Points? Some nominal amount for a loss, but more for a win (maybe based on the ranking of the opponent?) That way the more you battle other trainers, the more stuff you can unlock to create more teams. The in-game battle events can still reward some, if taking that away is a big deal, but it's sad that competitive play has no in-game reward to encourage you to battle more.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I guess because if you're not battling online for fun, why are you even there? It's supposed to be the fun part of battling compared to the boring in-game AI opponents. I don't think online battling should turn into a grind, it's bad enough in the competitions with the special rewards already with plenty of people only entering with their Popplio and Pikipek teams.

Banebdjetet

Pokemon Scientist
I guess because if you're not battling online for fun, why are you even there? It's supposed to be the fun part of battling compared to the boring in-game AI opponents. I don't think online battling should turn into a grind, it's bad enough in the competitions with the special rewards already with plenty of people only entering with their Popplio and Pikipek teams.

I don't think it necessarily has to be a grind, it would just be nice for it to feed its own scene. You beat the game, breed/catch a basic team to get online and start competing. Using that team, you save up a little BP to get the items/mega stones for your next idea. I think that sounds nice! I would contest that there should be more items available with BP that can help the competitive scene too, like the ability to change nature, change to hidden ability, change IVs, and even make some legendaries re appear in-game. These items could cost a fair amount of BP but would give you something to save/battle for.

The structured online tournaments that give a specific pokemon or item for just participating should have a new system too, I agree. There should be some impetus to actually bring a competitive team.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I don't find the facilities boring.....

But, yeah, online should be a fun thing^^ I like it enough that my y keeps a record of how many battles online i did as a whole....that alone is satisfying for me :D

I'm probably mostly uber competitive more so on showdown, but, at the same time, I wouldn't say the facilities are too un-competitive.

But maybe I just like the battles more than a lot of other people in general....i duno?

:p

Xuxuba

I personally prefer battle facilities over online battles since they usually lag a lot and i get disconnected very often, not to mention it is kind of boring when you can't chat with the person you are battling against.

But yeah i wouldn't mind them giving BP for onlines battles.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
The above post was rather interesting. I too didn't enjoy not being able to talk to people in a battle anymore! XD Thankfully, pokemon showdown doesn't have an issue like that. Hopefully they....never will o.o' cuz its a great site to make new friends :)

I enjoy just battling in the games in general, though. But it would be interesting to learn about the trainers i fight randomly...xD lol

Sometimes I randomly daydream about what they must be thinking when they fight me xD

Well, i started doing that mostly today.

One person said I was a "Dungeons and Dragons" or "Magic The Gathering" fan, because my team looks so magical and stuff (o.o), another person was more spot on: "This person LOVES Madoka Majika"

Madoka Majika, that, I am a fan of. Those other 2 things do not appeal to me.

That said, I do prefer pretty cure over madoka, as it is quite a bit less dark. But madoka is cool.

My team in general shows i like MAGICAL GIRLS....not magic CARDS

xD

Its fun to make people say random things in my head. You people should also try that sometime.

And, back on total topic...umn.....

It wouldn't really matter now, for me, if battle points are gave online now. As, when I own a switch, I know I probably won't be getting wifi connection for it as that costs money :p Money we probably need for other stuff.

There.