• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Stadium - Metagross Focused - Not Working - Help Appreciated!

Joe_Crow

Hey! I'm sharing a team I'm building in Violet focused on Metagross. I managed to pick up a shiny Beldum so I thought I'd give it a go for my first team I've put together in years.

I've added some notes to each with details on changes I've made. Aiming to keep it to Pokémon that are easy enough to build in-game (i.e. not limited legendaries).

Ultimately, the team is struggling in Reg G against teams full of legendaries. Is it just not possible to build a team without these days or are there some tweaks I can make? Maybe I'm choosing the wrong three to start the battle with.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Heavy Slam
- Psychic Fangs
- Earthquake

The shiny boy. A bulky build to open with. Tera type water helps Metagross resist fire types. Ice Punch could with ground and dragon types like Dragonite, Landorous. I've replaced it with Heavy Slam though as BP wasn't giving me enough power all the time. Earthquake helps deter fire types and steel types like Entei, Chi-Yu, Duraladon. Psychic Fangs gets through screens and helps with fighting types. Bullet punch is normally enough to finish off most that don't resist it. Flutter Mane is a threat and fire types in general despite the tera typing. Koraidon is proving to be a problem.

Meowscarada @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Sucker Punch
- Triple Axel
- U-turn

Meowscarda provides a solid switch in for Metagross to protect it from Ghost types. An alternative hold item is Focus Sash to increase flexibility. Triple Axel gives coverage against Flying, Grass, Dragon, and Ground types. I've chosen Knock Off over Sucker Punch for that initial boost of power. I've picked U Turn, although Low Kick could help with Baxcalibur, Garganacle and steel types as this team lacks fighting moves.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

Dragapult provides the team with an easy switch in on normal type and fighting type moves for Metagross. It's working for the team as a special attacker, with some speed that I felt the team could do with. It has a wide covering moveset. Flamethrower can deal with steel types like Gholdengo and grass types such as Serperior and Rillaboom. It can outspeed Flutter Mane and use it's Tera boosted Shadow Ball.

Gyarados @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 228 HP / 4 Atk / 220 Def / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt

I removed Toxapex and added Gyarados. Again, works as a solid switch in for Metagross. Wide coverage on the moveset and Taunt + Rocky Helmet helps weaken Pokemon the rest of the team struggles with. Although the lack of Attack EVs means it's not much good on it's own.

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Sucker Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Court Change

Cinderace provides a solid counter for Gholdengo, Corviknight and Scizor. High Jump Kick provides support against slower rock and fighting types. Court Change is the teams only protection against entry hazards, although I appreciate this could be at odds with Toxapex's strategy. Flying Tera type is subject to change. It helps protect from ground moves which again, this team has a few weaknesses to. It also outspeeds Ogerpon and helps deal with ice types like Ninetails.

Chien-Pao @ Life Orb
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Sacred Sword
- Crunch

I removed Ninetails-A from the previous build. Having no legendaries on the team just proved too challenging. Crunch helps against Calyrex-S. Sacred Sword it helping with steel types. I went for Jolly but could go Adamant seeing as I have a priority move on there.