• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Subway/Random Matchup Team

Firebrand

Indomitable
Okay, looking to put together a mixed team, likely for singles. So far I've only got five members, and I need a sixth (I know, you only need three for battle subway/RM, still, I'd rather have a pool of six to choose from). Also, I'm on the fence for moves on some of the team members. What do you all think?

Charizard *shiny*
Nature: Lax
EVs: 252 Spec Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Item: Wise Glasses(?)
-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
-Air Slash
-Earthquake/ Dragon Claw

It's shiny, so I can't exactly breed Dragon Pulse onto it. Sure, I could change it so it's a non-shiny charizard, but it's the principle. It's sort of like a mascot, more than anything else. And it's a strong battler with the moveset it has.
I decided to go a physical move in slot in case I run into a special wall. Earthquake to deal with rock and electric types, but dragon claw is a strong move, and nothing resists it.

Garchomp
Nature: Serious
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Item: Choice (whatever the situation calls for)
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch

Standard Choice fare here, no issues. Pretty much the team powerhouse, a living wrecking ball. We did a fair bit of training on Route 3 early on, and Dragonspiral Tower later, so he's sort of been inadvertently EV trained in attack and speed, at least a little.

Empoleon
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 252 special attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Item: Not sure yet
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Flash Cannon
-Earthquake

Again, no issues with this one. The tank, pretty much. Takes hits with his innate steel typing, and dishes them out hard in return.

Hydreigon
Nature: Bashful
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Spec Attack
Item: Not sure
-Flamethrower
-Dragon Pulse
-Earthquake
-Crunch

This one is the lead-off, the one who just plows through anything he can before going down. I feel like her moveset's a little lacking, though, at least in the depth department. Suggestions welcome. I guess I could breed to get one with Dark Pulse, but it'd be a lot of work... Also not sure what item I want here, I'm thinking either Wise Glasses or Expert Belt

Elektross
Nature: Docile
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Item: Probably a berry, or something else consumable
-Wild Charge
-Thunderbolt
-Acrobatics
-Dragon Claw

Again, one who's moveset I don't think really "clicks", but Elektross don't exactly have a very deep movepool. She's also not exactly very hardy, so I might do a suicide attacker, one who uses a Focus Band, and then Wild Charges.

Now comes the tricky part. I'm short one member and I have a couple options. Here they go.

Absol
Nautre: Relaxed
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Flamethrower/Ice Beam/ Thunderbolt
-Sucker Punch

I've used a lot of Absol over the years, and it would fit the sweeper mold, especially since the one I have in mind has Super Luck. Basically, every other hit from Night Slash and Psycho Cut is critical. The special trio is there because a) I lack the imagination to think of something better, b) coverage and c) surprise. Not many people expect an Absol to have a special attack. However... Hydreigon is already a dark type, so it's fitting a niche that's already been filled.

Bisharp
Nature: Careful
-Night Slash
-Stone Edge
-Iron Head
-Brick Break

Again, another filling a niche that it doesn't need to. It's a sweeper, and it has defiant, which I like a lot. But, all it's types are covered, except Brick Break. It might come in handy against normal types, and other dark and steel types. But I just don't see it fitting.

Banette
Nature: Impish
EVs: Haven't started yet
-Toxic
-Cotton Guard
-Shadow Claw
-Hex

Here's where I start getting crazy. This is the Halloween Banette, the one with Cursed Body. I want to use it on a team, but at the moment, it's a staller. The rest of the team is sweepers, so this could either be really good or really bad. The Toxic/Hex combo makes it capable of some really good damage, and the Cotton Guard allows it to keep boosting defense.
I'd like to use it in a team, but I don't know if this is the right place. I haven't tried it out yet, so I think I'd have to play around with it.

Whimsicott
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Defense, 252 Speed, 4 Spec Attack
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Giga Drain
-Shadow Ball/ Hurricane

Another staller. The Whimsicott I have is a Prankster one, so it can set up the SubSeed with priority. Although, it faces the same problem as Banette. I don't know if a stalling pokemon like Whimsicott fits in with these sweepers. But, unlike Banette, Whimsicott has access to some decent special moves, so if the stall doesn't work out, I can hit fairly hard with Giga Drain, while recovering health. Which leads me to my next problem. Hurricane is really strong, and it's STAB. But... it's so inaccurate, and this sure as hell won't be a rain team, not with all the Flamethrowers I'm tossing around. Shadow Ball is weaker, but more reliable, and it has the chance of lowering Spec Defense.

So... thoughts? I'm open to any suggestions on movesets, items, whatever. Plus, the pokemon I've listed as alternates here aren't necessarily my only options. If you think there's a pokemon that would better fit, let me know.

shadow_burnt

HEAD BUTT GO!
Okay, looking to put together a mixed team, likely for singles. So far I've only got five members, and I need a sixth (I know, you only need three for battle subway/RM, still, I'd rather have a pool of six to choose from). Also, I'm on the fence for moves on some of the team members. What do you all think?

Charizard *shiny*
Nature: anything neutral
EVs: 252 Spec Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Attack
Item: Wise Glasses(?)
-Flare Blitz
-Focus Blast
-Air Slash
-Earthquake/ Dragon Claw

It's shiny, so I can't exactly breed Dragon Pulse onto it. Sure, I could change it so it's a non-shiny charizard, but it's the principle. It's sort of like a mascot, more than anything else. And it's a strong battler with the moveset it has.
I decided to go a physical move in slot in case I run into a special wall. Earthquake to deal with rock and electric types, but dragon claw is a strong move, and nothing resists it.Ask a RNGer to breed a shiny one for you, to them it's quite easy, may need something in return though... Seeing as how you won't breed, you really won't be doing a subbellysalac set

Garchomp
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Item: Life orb
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Outrage
-Swords dance

Standard Choice fare here, no issues. Pretty much the team powerhouse, a living wrecking ball. We did a fair bit of training on Route 3 early on, and Dragonspiral Tower later, so he's sort of been inadvertently EV trained in attack and speed, at least a little.

Empoleon
Nature: Timid
EVs: 40hp 24def 252 spa 192 speed
Item: whatever, maybe water gem or focus sash?
-Agility
-Hydro pump/surf
-Ice beam
-Grass knot

Again, no issues with this one. The tank, pretty much. Takes hits with his innate steel typing, and dishes them out hard in return.Do agility set, makes it faster, and able to sweep.

Hydreigon
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Spec Attack 4 hp
Item: Choice spec
-Flamethrower
-Dragon Pulse draco meteor
-Surf or focus blast
-Dark pulse

This one is the lead-off, the one who just plows through anything he can before going down. I feel like her moveset's a little lacking, though, at least in the depth department. Suggestions welcome. I guess I could breed to get one with Dark Pulse, but it'd be a lot of work... Also not sure what item I want here, I'm thinking either Wise Glasses or Expert Belt.Mine is that moveset and naturally has 369 special attack.

Elektross
Nature: Docile
Item: Probably a berry, or something else consumable
-Wild Charge
-Thunderbolt
-Acrobatics
-Dragon Claw

Again, one who's moveset I don't think really "clicks", but Elektross don't exactly have a very deep movepool. She's also not exactly very hardy, so I might do a suicide attacker, one who uses a Focus Band, and then Wild Charges.

Now comes the tricky part. I'm short one member and I have a couple options. Here they go.

Absol
Nautre: Relaxed
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Flamethrower/Ice Beam/ Thunderbolt
-Sucker Punch

I've used a lot of Absol over the years, and it would fit the sweeper mold, especially since the one I have in mind has Super Luck. Basically, every other hit from Night Slash and Psycho Cut is critical. The special trio is there because a) I lack the imagination to think of something better, b) coverage and c) surprise. Not many people expect an Absol to have a special attack. However... Hydreigon is already a dark type, so it's fitting a niche that's already been filled.

Bisharp
Nature: Careful
-Night Slash
-Stone Edge
-Iron Head
-Brick Break

Again, another filling a niche that it doesn't need to. It's a sweeper, and it has defiant, which I like a lot. But, all it's types are covered, except Brick Break. It might come in handy against normal types, and other dark and steel types. But I just don't see it fitting.

Banette
Nature: Impish
EVs: Haven't started yet
-Toxic
-Cotton Guard
-Shadow Claw
-Hex

Here's where I start getting crazy. This is the Halloween Banette, the one with Cursed Body. I want to use it on a team, but at the moment, it's a staller. The rest of the team is sweepers, so this could either be really good or really bad. The Toxic/Hex combo makes it capable of some really good damage, and the Cotton Guard allows it to keep boosting defense.
I'd like to use it in a team, but I don't know if this is the right place. I haven't tried it out yet, so I think I'd have to play around with it.

Whimsicott
EVs: 252 Defense, 252 Speed, 4 Spec Attack
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Giga Drain
-Shadow Ball/ Hurricane

Another staller. The Whimsicott I have is a Prankster one, so it can set up the SubSeed with priority. Although, it faces the same problem as Banette. I don't know if a stalling pokemon like Whimsicott fits in with these sweepers. But, unlike Banette, Whimsicott has access to some decent special moves, so if the stall doesn't work out, I can hit fairly hard with Giga Drain, while recovering health. Which leads me to my next problem. Hurricane is really strong, and it's STAB. But... it's so inaccurate, and this sure as hell won't be a rain team, not with all the Flamethrowers I'm tossing around. Shadow Ball is weaker, but more reliable, and it has the chance of lowering Spec Defense.

So... thoughts? I'm open to any suggestions on movesets, items, whatever. Plus, the pokemon I've listed as alternates here aren't necessarily my only options. If you think there's a pokemon that would better fit, let me know.

... changes in bold... well anyway, Whimsicott is a terrible attacker, with prankster you should have;

Taunt
Leech seed
Substitute
Filler

Jolly

Basic set-up, taunt to stop other taunter's...

Last edited: