• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle System Change Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Indeed, it wouldn't matter a lot for casual players, but it would make a ton of difference for competitive ^_^. I don't know if you're familliar with competitive, but people abuse time-stalling mechanics to win in VGC. In singles, turns last artificially long because people grab their calculators before they make a move. I don't think a lot of players like waiting 30 seconds on their opponent to make a move. So I think it would be best for both ends, adding a lot of engagement to the game.

I don't dislike the current battle system though, but I think it could be made more engaging. To me, a battle is just totally killed when my opponent takes 30-60s for every move. No fun in that really. This would solve that problem and make the game more engaging while doing it.
No my friend, this will take away all strategy and turn the game into a mindless button masher.

Akashin

No my friend, this will take away all strategy and turn the game into a mindless button masher.

Putting aside the actual argument of whether or not a change like this should happen (I really couldn't care less either way)... no. As was already said, you don't seem to understand what a button masher actually is.

Putting a shorter timer on things wouldn't kill strategy (I'm not sure a timer as short as five seconds is ideal, but nevertheless). At worst it would make you prone to snap decisions if you don't already have a clear idea of what you're doing turn-by-turn, but theoretically that could be learned around.

This really is more of a competitive thing, though. As much as it really doesn't matter to or impact me personally, it's not really a friendly change for younger players where casual gameplay is concerned.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Putting aside the actual argument of whether or not a change like this should happen (I really couldn't care less either way)... no. As was already said, you don't seem to understand what a button masher actually is.

I'm interested in hearing your logic on how putting a timer on turns removes strategy though. How exactly does limiting how long you have to make a decision impact the importance of the decision you're making? Chess isn't any less strategic when timers are involved, for instance; they're there to pressure you to weigh your options and make one on someone else's time rather than your own. Which is what they're proposing here, for better or worse.
It gives you less time to think about options. Five seconds is way too short.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Yeah, I edited my post. Five seconds is too short, for the most part (it could be learned around, theoretically, but it's a bit harsh all the same), but it's not button masher short.
I agree. This change will really only favor competitive battlers and alienate the casual crowd.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Do kids even play pokemon? I've only seen teens and adults play. I know kids watch the anime and play the tcg but I've never seen a kid play the games. Even at cons it is always teens and adults on the 3DS. I see more kids doing games on phones

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Do kids even play pokemon? I've only seen teens and adults play. I know kids watch the anime and play the tcg but I've never seen a kid play the games. Even at cons it is always teens and adults on the 3DS. I see more kids doing games on phones
Yeah they still do.

Orphalesion

What does it have to do with the discussion whether kids still play Pokemon?

Causal Player doesn't equal kid. I'm in my 20s and I'm a causal player, I don't EV train, I don't complete the Pokedex, I don't go to competitions, I don't shiny-chain, I don't do global missions etc etc etc I play the game purely to pretend I'm on a Pokemon journey in a world with fire horses and tiny dragons. I think that counts as a causal player.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Children play too, but statistically it's generally the older players that are more into the competitions. You can see that in the PGL participation numbers, the junior divisions (below 18 years) have about 10% of the participants that the master divisions (adults) have.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Children play too, but statistically it's generally the older players that are more into the competitions. You can see that in the PGL participation numbers, the junior divisions (below 18 years) have about 10% of the participants that the master divisions (adults) have.
I thought junior was 13 and below. I swear when I went to worlds in 2015 I saw 14 and up in adults unless they were young looking adults :)

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I thought junior was 13 and below. I swear when I went to worlds in 2015 I saw 14 and up in adults unless they were young looking adults :)

*looks it up on PGL*

All global competitions for USUM so far have the rules that the junior division is for players born in 2003 or later, and masters for players born in 2002 or earlier, so the threshold is at age 15 or so. I guess I was wrong too. I don't know if it's different for VGC.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I'm fine with the combat system staying as it is, mechanically. What I want to see is faster and more streamlined combat message processing (or an option for it), not needing to press A to confirm basic messages all the time. I want animations for everything in combat to be sped up. For a game that has such a huge emphasis on grinding for levels, Pokémon sure is a slow game, and it's only gotten slower with the newer games. I don't want to have to turn off animations because I like my visuals, but there really needs to be an option to play sped up skill animations (2x, 3x faster).

I'll be happy if they can speed up battles by a good amount, even if they keep the mechanics the same.

MewsTruck

What does it have to do with the discussion whether kids still play Pokemon?

Causal Player doesn't equal kid. I'm in my 20s and I'm a causal player, I don't EV train, I don't complete the Pokedex, I don't go to competitions, I don't shiny-chain, I don't do global missions etc etc etc I play the game purely to pretend I'm on a Pokemon journey in a world with fire horses and tiny dragons. I think that counts as a causal player.
This is me....

Not saying give up competitive mechanics but dont forget about the casual player. Dont let the replayability depend on the competitive mechanics such as EV training and breeding all 1k pokemon and such. Its a rpg and i wanna role play in a game. Grinding for weeks isnt playing its tiring. Great features and i love them but not at a sacrafice of replayability

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
As it seems, the Trainer battles seem similar to their game counterparts and it can therefore be said there is no change in the battle system for the most part. But wild battles being replaced with GO encounters will change how the Pokémon can gain their EVs.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
As it seems, the Trainer battles seem similar to their game counterparts and it can therefore be said there is no change in the battle system for the most part. But wild battles being replaced with GO encounters will change how the Pokémon can gain their EVs.

They might probably get rid of every single complicated competitve mechanic and keep the bare bones stuff, moves, typing and abilities and treat it like Pokemon Colessuem where players could catch a Pokemon (and hop online if they have online battling) and immdiately battle with it without worrying about stuff that Competitive play requires,

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
They might probably get rid of every single complicated competitve mechanic and keep the bare bones stuff, moves, typing and abilities and treat it like Pokemon Colessuem where players could catch a Pokemon (and hop online if they have online battling) and immdiately battle with it without worrying about stuff that Competitive play requires,

New games don't have online functionality, so no online battles.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
What sort of complicated mechanics are you talking about? I guess it's IVs and EVs but I think IVs will be retained because of Pokémon GO having an IV system. Maybe EVs can be eliminated for that very reason.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Also...natures
True. Because of the incorporation of CP and the fact that Pokémon didn't have Natures in Pokémon GO, it's almost certain Natures will be nonexistent in LGPE.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I just pray none of this travels over into the core title.

I'm hoping Game Freak was smart enough to truly make Let's GO a completely separate experience, and not force the mechanics of Pokémon GO into the rest of the series. That would sour me greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.