• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Tower: Please Rate.

[1st];392;Infernape(Naive/Hardy)@Wise Glasses
EVs: 252 Sp.A, 192 Spe, 64 Att.
-Close Combat
-Flamethrower
-HP(Grass)
-Nasty Plot

I like this set, but would like to see if there is anything better.

;036;Clefable(Bold)@Life Orb
Magic Coat
252HP, 104Sp.A, 148Def
-Ice Beam
-Calm Mind
-Thunderbolt
-Softboiled

Floatzel(Adamant)@Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe(of course...)
-Waterfall
-Brick Break
-Ice Punch
-Crunch

I really like this team, I just want other peoples input and see if anything can be improved.

Last edited:

Funnyguy

A few tips: Pokemon can't hold the same Item in the battle tower, Clefable is a terrible pokemon, never have the same type of moves in the one team and never have 2 pokemon who are weak to the same type.

Funnyguy

A few tips: Pokemon can't hold the same Item in the battle tower, Clefable is a terrible pokemon, never have the same type of moves in the one team and never have 2 pokemon who are weak to the same type.

I dunno about using Clefable. I'd try Snorlax or Blissey for a normal tank. Also, Drapion has mediocre stats. You're not going to get far in the BT with this team.

I dunno about using Clefable. I'd try Snorlax or Blissey for a normal tank.

Clefable is fine.

Also, Drapion has mediocre stats

No, not really.

You're not going to get far in the BT with this team.

Correct, finally.

Clefable's EVs are horrible. If you want to use her as an Attacker, use this set:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpA
~ Softboiled
~ Calm Mind
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt

Infernape is the rare case where running something that will give you a lot of Neutrality can actually be a poor choice over just trying to get as many Super Effective hits as possible, but with Wise Glasses and Nasty Plot, I think you'll be fine. Focus Sash is an option for an item because Ape is rather frail.

Drapion should run Ice Fang over Cross Poison imo.

Ground attacks could be a problem here though.

Bossk

Like a champ.
Eh.....
I don't think Clefable should be there in my oppinion,

Infernape could be better...

Dradion is average....I don't think you'll get dar

Hrrm.
Me likey Clefable.
I think I'll still use Life Orb cuz of Magic Coat.
Any suggestions for a Phys. Attacker for the third slot?

EDIT: I think Im going to use a Floatzel.

252Att&Spe, 4Hp
-CruncH
-Brick Break
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch

Last edited:
252Att&Spe, 4Hp
-CruncH
-Brick Break
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch

That works. You can use Aqua Jet over Waterfall, but that's more preference than anything.

randomspot555

[1st];392;Infernape(Naive/Hardy)@Wise Glasses
EVs: 252 Sp.A, 196 Spe, 64 Att.
-Close Combat
-Flamethrower
-HP(Ghost)
-Nasty Plot

lol HP Ghost. I know HP is something you have no control over, but HP Ghost is very much a useless HP.

I'll tell you why.

A STAB boltbeam type move does more damage hitting neutral than a SE (x2) Hidden Power type.

For example:

STAB Flamethrower hitting a ghost type: 95 x 1.5 = 142
SE HP Ghost hitting a Ghost type: 70 x 2 = 140

Hidden Powers are really for threats that have a quad weakness: HP Fire for Scizor, HP Electric for Gyarados, HP Fight for Tyranitar, HP Ground for Heatran, and HP Ice for Salamence and Dragonite.

But your set isn't bad, just a bit misguided.

Replace HP Ghost with Grass Knot. Fire Blast over Flamethrower. And Infernape makes much better use with Life Orb. Clefable can take Wise Glasses.

;036;Clefable(Modest)@Life Orb
Magic Coat
126 HP, 126 Def, 252 Sp.A, 4 Spe.
-Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Softboiled/Wish(?)

Walling in the Battle Tower is a very risky strategy due to OHKO move abuse and the variety of other luck factors.

You are basically using Clefable as a special sweeper. Starmie basically does this set and does it better.

Starmie w/ Wise Glasses
Timid/Modest
Natural Cure
252 sp atk/252 speed/6 HP
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Psychic is available but gets pretty poor coverage. The only really good HP on Starmie is HP Fire, which allows it to hit Scizor and Shedinja.

If you ever want to switch to Choice Specs or Choice Scarf, feel free to take out Grass Knot and replace it with Trick. It can act as a counter to Double Team abusers.

Starmie also helps absorb status.

Drapion's set is fine, but it unnnecessarily adds another ground weakness to your team. I suggest finding something else. Salamence would make a great addition/

Edited first post.
@randomspot: I was using HP(Gh) because of the spotless coverage with Close Combat. I found my SID so I breed to perfection, and soft reset IV's, which I then pull up the serebii.net IVcalc to see if HP on that pokemon is decent.

randomspot555

Edited first post.
@randomspot: I was using HP(Gh) because of the spotless coverage with Close Combat. I found my SID so I breed to perfection, and soft reset IV's, which I then pull up the serebii.net IVcalc to see if HP on that pokemon is decent.

Even then, it's a poor choice. Infernape gets Shadow Claw.

Ghost hits two types for SE damage: Ghost and Psychic. Neither of these resist Fire type moves, and as I clearly demonstrated, STAB Flamethrower does more damage for a neutral hit than HP Ghost base 70 does for a Super Effective hit.

Most Pokemon don't need moves that give it perfect coverage for neutral damage. On Pokemon with limited move pools, it's more of an issue. But with a move selection as diverse as Infernape, it's a waste of a move slot.