• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Tower & ??Success?? vs ??Technique??

RPBaskett

So, I'm trying to figure out how to be good at winning in the Battle Tower. The NPC trainers and Pokémon are sent out at random so there doesn't seem to be any way to anticipate any move sets or types which then means that the team you use is random compared to your opponent. One thing I have almost nearly completed is a 6 Pokémon team of breeded 6/6 Pokémon. So the question becomes, does Battle Tower factor in IVs and EVs despite the fact that it neutralizes level? What does that mean for if I put in three 6/6 Pokémon at level 1 if their level is brought to 50 in Battle Tower? So far I haven't been able to figure out how to make Battle Tower battles anything but completely random luck wins and appreciate any knowledge than anyone can impart upon me.

Generally I can mostly win battles, some have come very close to be losing like within one round, and I've reached the tower tycoon and basically lost almost instantly so I feel like there has to be some kind of technique or secret to this. I really need that ability patch :(.

Thanks!

NeganTheSavior

Normally I just send out Garchomp, set up two swords dances and then let it sweep. I know nothing about EV training, but that technique works for me.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
When scaling Pokémon to Level 50, IVs and EVs are taken into account. The game simply changes the level variable from whatever it normally is to 50. This means, for instance, you can have a Level 50 Dragonite in the Battle Tower despite Dragonair evolving at Level 55 (and indeed, Palmer will use a Level 50 Dragonite in the 21st battle).

If I recall correctly though, levels are scaled down but not up. That means bringing a Level 1 Pokémon into it will keep it at Level 1. It's only online battling where all levels are scaled to 50 regardless of if the Pokémon is actually over, under, or at Level 50.

For the record, unless you plan to use all six stats, you don't need perfect IVs on all the stats. The best you'd really need is 5, which is much less time-consuming than 6. For instance, if you want to use Medicham, you're not going to need Sp. Attack because Medicham is much, much better at physical damage than special damage. Hence, the perfect build for Medicham could have the IV for Sp. Attack at any value because Medicham won't be using it.

As for Hidden Abilities, if you can find the Pokémon in the grass, the Poké Radar is by far the most reliable way to find them. If you can't find them in the grass though...the Ability Patch is pretty much your only way to go.

RPBaskett

For a single battle I'm using Haunter 1, Gyrados 2, Azelf 3, but none of these were IV/EV trained. Right now I am IV breeding and EV training a team of Haunter, Gyrados and Luxray up passed level 50 so that I can use them in Battle tower.
The team I'm working on getting up and running:
Modest 6/6 Luxray trained for Sp.Atk and Speed
Adamant 6/6 Gyrados trained for Attack and Sp.Def
Modest 6/6 Haunter trained for Sp.Atk and Sp.Def

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
For a single battle I'm using Haunter 1, Gyrados 2, Azelf 3, but none of these were IV/EV trained. Right now I am IV breeding and EV training a team of Haunter, Gyrados and Luxray up passed level 50 so that I can use them in Battle tower.
The team I'm working on getting up and running:
Modest 6/6 Luxray trained for Sp.Atk and Speed
Adamant 6/6 Gyrados trained for Attack and Sp.Def
Modest 6/6 Haunter trained for Sp.Atk and Sp.Def
You said you have a friend you're playing with. The biggest boost for you with what you currently have is to have your friend help by trading your Haunter and trading back to evolve Haunter into Gengar.

For the record, the Gastly line excels at Speed. They are very fast Pokémon. Instead of EV training in Sp. Def, you should switch that out for Speed. Make Haunter/Gengar as fast as possible. They are at their most effective when they can hit hard enough to knock out the opposing Pokémon before the opposing Pokémon can even attack back. In order to do that, they need to outrun as many Pokémon as possible.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Still the Battle Tower can be unfair, the longer your winning streak goes on it will eventually create opponents that can easily beat your teams. You have to be smart to beat the unfair AI logistics.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I have fully Ev IV trained Glaceon Gengar and Tyranitar and I cant get past 4x single battle normal rank. Its super frustrating to start it over everytime.

Pokefan_1987

I have fully Ev IV trained Glaceon Gengar and Tyranitar and I cant get past 4x single battle normal rank. Its super frustrating to start it over everytime.
What did the most difficult enemies use?

Pokefan_1987

I can

I cant remember but its always something else
Maybe I need to replace Glaceon but too lazy to breed and train another pokemon.
Yeah training the IV's you want can always be exhausting to put it mildly. Glaceon has always been rather frail along with Flareon.

However a Mamoswine on the other hand isn't so bad if you can keep it alive and a flying partner with speed boost moves since ground moves can't hit flying partners. Add in Earthquake and Ancient Power boost and Mamoswine can go to town against many foes.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Ancient Power's 10% boost chance isn't really high enough to rely on, especially since you're using it off of Mamoswine's pathetic Sp. Atk stat compared to its very good Attack stat. You generally want to minimize how much you rely on RNG when you're trying to get good streaks at the Battle Tower, because you want to minimize the things that could possibly go wrong.

Pokefan_1987

Protean Greninja would be great against some of the unfair shenaningans that the battle power can do. That is if we could transfer him and get a ability patch.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Battle tower is just cruel. Lost in 44 strikes in single. :/
I dont know if I will try again. Its super annoyin to start from scratch all over again

Pokefan_1987

You guys should see this. This guy encountered a Shedinja of all things in his second battle and had no effective moves against the Shedinja except stalling it out, then it got get called back and sent back out one battle later. He's just lucky a returned pokemon can't recover move pp points.

Talk about bad luck.

janejane6178

the
You guys should see this. This guy encountered a Shedinja of all things in his second battle and had no effective moves against the Shedinja except stalling it out, then it got get called back and sent back out one battle later. He's just lucky a returned pokemon can't recover move pp points.

Talk about bad luck.

The battle tower is cruel.

smclaren