• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Tower Team Building Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
V4E's right about Substitute's importance. On my team, two out of the three (including my lead) use Sub. One, a Gengar, uses Ghost+Figthting for absolute coverage along with Destiny Bond to take out foes when another Sub is not an option. The second, a Jolly Chomp, has Dragon+Ground+Fire (Physical or Special?) and good HP (around 180 at Lv 50) to make chunky Subs. The third is a Scarf Heatran with a similar moveset to the one V4E posted, except that (because of Scarf) he uses Explosion instead of Sub.

hailflameblast

I'm coming...
Well, I found the guide very useful for building Speed-freak Out! Kudos V4E, keep up the good work.

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
The Subs are useful for me (a realative rookie) my Gengar managed to sweep Arcade Star Dahlia alone (with a paralysis event) and the Subbing is useful with Destiny Bond/Explosion and/or a recovery item. You can make good barriers to hide behind, the take the foe with you when you can't Sub no more.

clone1

Aesthetics brahz
Amazing guide and I was waiting for somebody to post up something like this. Although I already got my symbol from the Battle Tower this is going to be really helpful for people. Not only for the battle tower but it also includes important factors for competitive battling. ^^

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
Yes, I think it might up the prescence of Sub and TrickScarf, but I know nothing about CompeBattling

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
Amazing guide and I was waiting for somebody to post up something like this. Although I already got my symbol from the Battle Tower this is going to be really helpful for people. Not only for the battle tower but it also includes important factors for competitive battling. ^^

In my opinion, the Battle Tower is probably harder than competitive battling. Prediction is completely different, seeing how you're up against a machine. Also, hax is brutal: there's no OHKO clause to hide behind here.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
In my opinion, the Battle Tower is probably harder than competitive battling. Prediction is completely different, seeing how you're up against a machine. Also, hax is brutal: there's no OHKO clause to hide behind here.

Or Evasion Clause, Sleep Clause, or Freeze clause for that matter... All of which the AI will abuse.
Annoyingly, prediction is useless in the BT since the AI won't switch, which means that it takes a lot of skill out of battling...

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
Or Evasion Clause, Sleep Clause, or Freeze clause for that matter... All of which the AI will abuse.
Annoyingly, prediction is useless in the BT since the AI won't switch, which means that it takes a lot of skill out of battling...

You essentially have to learn to beat the AI, which is quite different from learning how to beat another player.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill

You essentially have to learn to beat the AI, which is quite different from learning how to beat another player.

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
Well...what CAN we expect from the AI?

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
Well...what CAN we expect from the AI? Can we expect Pursuit? Status? SDs/CMs/etc.?

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
Practice will tell you what works best. Using my database, you can tell which Pokemon use which moves, and figure out for yourself the strategy they may try to use.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
Well...what CAN we expect from the AI? Can we expect Pursuit? Status? SDs/CMs/etc.?

You CAN expect Hax and unfair play, along with movesets . You have to do everything you can to limit the amount of destruction that the AI can cause with Hax. Substitutes, for example, will bring all of those OHKO abusers to a sudden halt. What better to counter something that is taking advantage of Water Pulse's seemingly 60% Confusion rate than Slowbro w/ Own Tempo? From the AI, you should carefully determine what moves the opponent is using, and then switch in something that can deal with the opponent effectively.

As for movesets, certain moves will indicate the presence of others. For example, if a Wailord enters battle and uses Whirlpool, you can expect to be in for something like this;
564 | Wailord | Impish | Chesto Berry | Whirlpool | Toxic | Amnesia | Rest | HP/Def/SpD
A toxistaller Wailord. IIRC, a similar thing exists with Clamperl.

Similarly, moves like Hypnosis will be accompanied with moves like Dream Eater;
585 | Exeggutor | Modest | Lum Berry | Dream Eater | Hypnosis | Leech Seed | Ingrain | HP/SpA

Incidentally, Leech Seed, which appears in this set, may be accompanied by Hypnosis, Toxic, Substitute, etc.

By spotting these "indicator" moves, you can detect with some accuracy what set your opponent is running, and bring in something to stop it from working before they have a chance.

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
How effective are entry hazards and non-Tricked Choice items? There's only one Rapid Spinner (a Wartortle) and I personally use a ScarfTran.

Final

I Submit to No One
How effective are entry hazards and non-Tricked Choice items? There's only one Rapid Spinner (a Wartortle) and I personally use a ScarfTran.

Entry hazards are useful for breaking Sashes and are a non-direct way of eliminating Shedinja although you can outlast it if you have something that walls Shedinja. Also, Shedinja disappears after Battle 20. They also help score important KOs that you may miss without the entry hazards. Non-Tricked Choice items are OK but they really make the Pokemon using them easier to wall as opposed to Pokemon with Stat up moves. They also force you to switch in an unfavourable match-up. With Choice Band or Choice Specs, your Pokemon only have a boost equivalent to +1 Attack or Special Attack respectively. With Stat up moves, you can go up to +6 Attack or Special Attack and essentially beat everything through sheer force despite resistances. Something you can't do with Choice items. It can be difficult getting up to +6 but with a Trick Scarf Lead locking your opponent onto a move that can be set up on and Substitute, it becomes not so difficult.

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
I don't use TrickScarf. And Heatran has no stat-boosters that I know of. Anyway, Heatran's not my lead, a Starmie is (or will be, once I get it:))

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
If you don't intend to use TrickScarf, Starmie is great. Easily the best non-stat-up Pokemon you can use in the Tower. He's probably capable of sweeping the entire first 5 rounds alone.

You don't really need TrickScarf if you only want to get your Color Print. It's hard to get past 100 without using it, but it's still pretty possible. However, if you want to get 200+ wins, it's almost impossible to do without TrickScarf.

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
I think I may use a TrickScarf Baton Passing Espeon, expect to see it on an IGRMT team soon.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^Baton Passing doesn't work in the Battle Tower, setup and Hax destroy its effectivness. I've tried it, I got to Battle 36 before I got slaughtered.

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
No, the TrickScarfer will just Pass a Sub, nothing else. The other two members will boost on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.