• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battle Tower Team Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny Swalot

Shiny Swalot Powerz!
Hi there,

I have been playing pokémon for a long time now, but never really tried the battle tower. Now, I am ready to face the challenge in the first game I played, pokémon Diamond.

Now, since I am kind of a noob to this, I made a team, but I would love some ratings on it. Be aware that IV breeding is a bit too much for me, so don't go talk about HiddenPower and stuff like those.

Also, I tend to dislike moves such as Sword Dance and Thunder Wave, but I am willing to give those a shot

So without further ado, here's my team.

Starmie @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt/Ice Beam
- Trick

My trick leader. I think this set is pretty self explenatory. Not sure about Bolt or Beam, I'd like some comments about those. I'll trade for move tutor Trick

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance

Mmm, not sure about the EVs here, but I think this is the way they should go. Basically just Swords Dance and kill, Bullet Punch and Bug Bite for Techinician and Priority

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

Yup, thats SubPunch, I guess this needs no explaining too?

So, please rate my team!

Thanks in advance,

Shiny Swalot

Last edited:

Kalosian

So long
Starmie could go with both Ice Beam and Thunderbolt as well as using Expert Belt over Specs since the ability to choose moves will be very useful. Though Specs and Trick can probably work too.

Scizor seems fine, though you could make some changes if you want to. It doesn't need max Speed, you could shift some EVs to HP if you would like to in order to make it more bulky. You could also try Superpower over Brick Break for a more powerful but slightly more risky move.

Tyranitar needs lots of changes. SubPunching is not something I would recommend for the Battle Tower, and Stone Edge should never be used because its accuracy will let you down far too often. The EVs also needs some changing. I think a Dragon Dance set would work best. I would recommend Dragon Dance / Crunch / Earthquake / Rock Slide with maxed Attack and Speed, rest in HP. I also think you should change its Nature to Jolly in order to outrun more things.

Shiny Swalot

Shiny Swalot Powerz!
Thanks for the review!

As for Starmie, I think I will keep it Trick Scarf, because it seems as a good idea to me. However, should I run Ice Beam or T-Bolt, or not Psychic at all?

For Scizor, exactly how much EVs should go into HP? I am really bad at EVs so I usually use all of them in one stat :s And Brick Break is essentially there because there is no Attack drop, and Brick Break removes screens

Then, about Tyranitar. I once read somewhere that it is recommended to have a Substitute-User in your team, so that's why I went for Tyranitar. But now that I have thought more about it, I might want to use something like Garchomp, or a T-Wave Subber like Blissey? Some ideas on that?

Kalosian

So long
Surf, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt has the best coverage of the four moves, though you will miss out on one STAB move. If you want to keep Psychic, either of the other two moves work, they give about the same coverage but are useful against different Pokemon.

As for the Scizor EVs, that's rather difficult. The Speed tiers for the D/P Tower is kinda weird as the opposing Pokemon doesn't have set natures so it is not easy to know what you need to outrun and not. 172 Speed EVs with a perfect IV gives you 107 Speed, that was one suggestion I found. It lets you outrun some stuff like +Speed Heatran.

Don't know where you read this about Substitute, it certainly works, but needs a bit of support. The usual strategy is to use one TrickScarfer and then two setup-sweepers with Substitute to block status and Critical Hits. Though if you want to use that, you'll need to rework your team. Not sure about Blissey, I feel that it was better in third generation when it comes to Battle Facilities. Though it can still work, but going for offense over defense is something I would recommend if you keep the other two members of your team. Garchomp can work though, some good ones are either a Scarf set (though I'm not sure about it as you already have a Choiced Pokemon with Starmie) or a regular Swords Dance set. It really depends on what your goal with the team is. Either way, the Scarf set should have Outrage / Earthquake / Fire Fang / Crunch with an Adamant nature, EVs should be 160 HP / 252 Attack / 96 Speed. The Swords Dance set should be Jolly with Earthquake / Fire Fang / Swords Dance and then either Outrage or Dragon Claw. For the EVs, just max Attack and Speed with the rest in HP. Those are my recommendations, at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.