• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battlefield LA

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I watched this finally while on shut down at work. I thought the movie was good, but it scored big points when I discovered the "heroes" were members of Echo Company 2nd Bat/5th MarDiv! That was my old unit! Made the whole movie a lot cooler to me!

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Got it on Blu Ray, and I have to say it's a pretty awesome movie. It's movies like these that remind me not even to bother checking Rotten Tomatoes anymore, as those critics continue to rate movies I love with low ratings and give pure garbage praise and glory. The firefights were pretty intense, the action was pretty hardcore, and there was never a dull moment. It also felt a little bit realer as opposed to Independence Day and District 9, and it made it easy to get over the fact that yes, it is using the cliche alien invasion plot, but it does a good job with it nonetheless. Action and battle freaks like me will get a kick out of this.

I don't know how true this is to the real kinds of tactics, deployment, and strategy the US Marines use (despite hours of Battlefield games and Call of Duty, I definitely do not claim I know a lot about military warfare), but even if it's not, they still made a good movie out of it that felt like you were in the middle of it all.

And Malanu, that's a pretty crazy and interesting coincidence.

Vernikova

Champion
Eh, standard pro-military movie with an alien invasion added in. It was okay and I thought that the main character was pretty cool. The aliens weren't designed very well but I thought that there were some heartwarming scenes as well like when that kid's dad died. That was really sweet the way I remember it going down. I didn't buy the Blu-ray though since it was simply an average movie.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Neo yeah... I know I had to rewind the scene to make sure I heard the Lt correctly. For the record, our El Tea was a psychology major in college, and a nerdy 'wanna be your buddy' leader. Honestly he was a breath of fresh air and one hell of a commander. As for tactics. I saw a few mistakes (improper spacing, no tactical formation etc) but they were mostly because of camera view type necessities. Otherwise, I haven't been in the military for a long time so I can't say what doctrinal changes have occurred in my absence.

@Rebecca, I hear you. It was a definite rah rah movie. I don't know if any of my former Platoon Sargents would have taken the time to have memorized our info like in the movie, but it was a nice touch.

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
I loved this movie. and this was after I went to see the WORST alien invasion movie ever made; Skyline.

ndralcasid

1st of da month
Battlefield LA was HORRIBLE, IMO. Character development sucked, and trying to be Band of Brothers in an alien movie is just -_______-

Vernikova

Champion
Battlefield LA was HORRIBLE, IMO. Character development sucked, and trying to be Band of Brothers in an alien movie is just -_______-

I found the end funny when they decided to continue to fight after barely surviving LA's invasion. I understood why they did it in-universe (To defend the country) but I was wondered why they would to the frontlines when they simply could've relayed how to stop the invaders and that's it. LA was really already lost anyway.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I found the end funny when they decided to continue to fight after barely surviving LA's invasion. I understood why they did it in-universe (To defend the country) but I was wondered why they would to the frontlines when they simply could've relayed how to stop the invaders and that's it. LA was really already lost anyway.
This is the spirit they were trying to capture with that scene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Belleau_Wood The fighting 5th Marines still wear the French Fourragere for their bravery, courage and commitment to repel the invading German army from Belleau Woods.

Vernikova

Champion
Right but that doesn't stop it from being stupid especially since most people probably wouldn't get that connection. It's mainly why it's simply an average movie that no one will remember in a few years.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
You see it as stupid, I see it as the definition of heroic. I read an anonymous quote once, 'A hero is brave a few seconds longer than I was.'

You are right, most people wouldn't make the connection and they will forget about this movie.

I was a 5th Marine, I remember the history & the traditions, I liked how they portrayed my old unit. They did us justice. I'd still do like the Marines in the movie did, if it meant I saved one more civilian's life.