• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battles in the Sky! (839)

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
A nice episode.

I really liked Bonnie in this episode. At the beginning, she reminded me of myself when I was smaller because I used to struggle to get on rides too as I was too small. Also, it was great that she gave Fletchling great advice concerning it's size and then it was utilised in the sky battle.

Speaking of sky battles, I think they were handled really well. I like how they are portrayed as the ever moving battlefield as Pokémon and Trainer moves from place to place. It was great how they showed that Hawlucha was not suitable to sky battles due to it's battle to glide only (even though they didn't go as far as saying that they couldn't partake at all). Finally, Fletchling's showcase was great. The battle showed in superior speed and the fact that it was smaller made it easier to dodge and then it evolved into Fletchinder! I disliked the overuse of Flame Charge and would have preferred and different finishing moves with the extra speed, but I shouldn't complain as the battle overall was excellent.

Great episode, onto the next one!

TheNinjaIsIn

In the raw version I thought Ash didn't really care who he battled with and I never got around to watching the subs so it was nice to see that Ash really wanted to battle with Fletchling and was forced to use Hawlucha because Talonflame was a snob. Ash and Hawlucha were so out of sync you could see they really weren't ready and Hawlucha isn't the best flier is he? I certainly think of him more as a fighter tbh.

I also agree that the music killed the impact of the evolution. I actually wondered what they would do for that scene and I was quite disappointed. Still it was an epic battle.

This was an ok episode for me, though I did find it cool how Fletchling evolved while engulfed by Fire Blast.

PlayinWithFire

Hex Trainer
I'm starting to sense a pattern here with Ash's bird Pokemon, they tend to evolve when they fight other bird Pokemon. Ex. Pidgeotto evolved into Pidgeot to fight the Fearow who was bullying a group of Pidgey, Taillow evolves during the PokeRinger competition albeit it wasn't fighting a bird Pokemon its still sorta the same, then Staravia evolved while competing with Paul's Honchkrow in a similar competition and finally Tranquill evolved while fighting Skyla's Swanna. All of his bird Pokemon evolved to their final stage so we'll be seeing Talonflame sooner or later but I still wonder why he got Hawlucha??

waterfairytrainer

I'm starting to sense a pattern here with Ash's bird Pokemon, they tend to evolve when they fight other bird Pokemon. Ex. Pidgeotto evolved into Pidgeot to fight the Fearow who was bullying a group of Pidgey, Taillow evolves during the PokeRinger competition albeit it wasn't fighting a bird Pokemon its still sorta the same, then Staravia evolved while competing with Paul's Honchkrow in a similar competition and finally Tranquill evolved while fighting Skyla's Swanna. All of his bird Pokemon evolved to their final stage so we'll be seeing Talonflame sooner or later but I still wonder why he got Hawlucha??
Well hawlucha is a fighting type and the only flying move it knows is flying press.
I watched the Dub and Sub and I liked them both.It was a pretty bearable with the voice actors for this episode and I liked how they brought up sky battles in the anime.Serena did try and fight this episode, I never noticed Fennekin on her back fighting there.I didn't like this though because it seemed like it was slow before the battle though. Like you mentioned it will evolve into Talonflame probably around the 6th or 7th gym.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I enjoyed this episode for the little things (no pun intended). Bonnie's role in the episode was awe inspiring, not for just Fletchling, but for anybody who may feel that they're short or not tall enough.

I also find it nice to see Serena capable of flying so easily, and having Fennekin take down TR's balloon.

A little saddening that Hawlucha got beaten by Talonflame, but I'm sure he'll have more spotlight in the future.

Fletchling evolving into Fletchinder was highly anticipating since the start of the show, and I can't wait to see more.

PlayinWithFire

Hex Trainer
Well hawlucha is a fighting type and the only flying move it knows is flying press.
I watched the Dub and Sub and I liked them both.It was a pretty bearable with the voice actors for this episode and I liked how they brought up sky battles in the anime.Serena did try and fight this episode, I never noticed Fennekin on her back fighting there.I didn't like this though because it seemed like it was slow before the battle though. Like you mentioned it will evolve into Talonflame probably around the 6th or 7th gym.

But he could of easily of gotten another fighting type such as pancham or even another type of Pokemon, I really want him to get a fairy or ghost type Pokemon for this region. Also I was really taken aback when Serena called out her Fennekin, she's starting to get more involved but she seriously needs to catch another Pokemon soon otherwise she will be the most irrelevant companion since the start of the series. Talonflame is gonna so OP when it evolves but I already miss that adorable little Fletchling.

-chazz-

Pokemon master
Really good episode in my opinion

Fletchling evolves yet manages to maintain its cuteness

Serena and Fennekin get involved in a fight (sort of)

And the episode promoted one of my favorite added features to the games (sky battling)

Not to mention that they didnt skip out on the 'meeting Ashs new pokemon' part

And i liked the fact Chespin copied Hawlucha, to me it showed a pokemon with a fighting type evolution trying to act like a fighting type pokemon (i dont know if that was just my imagination or if it was intended).

fitzy909

Just another guy
I really liked this one. Fletchling's evolution was well executed and it still looks cute. (so they can still get merchandise from it no doubt) It was one of the few times Serena seemed to actually fight (partially) She really needs to do more, but this was a good step in the right direction. Also, it was a great way to showcase sky battles.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Pretty interesting episode. I liked how Serena seemed to be a natural at flying with those suits and seeing her get in a shot against Team Rocket was nice as well. The battle was nice and liked how Fletchling evolved into Fletchinder while being engulfed in a fire blast attack and eventually beating Talonflame. 9/10

chalkus

Pretty interesting episode. I liked how Serena seemed to be a natural at flying with those suits and seeing her get in a shot against Team Rocket was nice as well. The battle was nice and liked how Fletchling evolved into Fletchinder while being engulfed in a fire blast attack and eventually beating Talonflame. 9/10

I found fletchling evolving to be going against the theme of this episode. Wasn't it all about how people misjudge those who are small and just because you're small doesn't mean you can't do big things. Then fletchling overcomes adversity by evolving, in other words, getting bigger. Doing that seemed counter to the moral of the episode and made everything Bonnie said seem kind of pointless.

I know it's a cartoon and all, and real world physics don't (necessarily) exist, but when Sarena called Fennekin out, Fennekin had to have been weighing her down a bit.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Battles in the Sky! offers Ash & Co. a high-flying experience while also appealing to those that are shorter in stature. In awe over the Sky Battles in Kalos Canyon, Ash & Co. defy physics by getting on some wing suits and taking to the skies...except for Bonnie, that is. Little Sister will have to sit this one out, as she is simply not tall enough to be allowed to participate. However, she quickly gains some company when Ash is challenged by Moria, a sky trainer, and her Talonflame which refuses to battle the pint-sized Fletchling and instead opts to take on the much more imposing Hawlucha. Extremely disheartened, Fletchling is taken into the arms of Bonnie, who strongly relates to the Tiny Robin Pokemon and its size discrimination. Bonnie is able comfort Fletchling and convince it of the exclusive strengths it has because of its diminutive size. Later in the episode, Fletchling finally does get a chance to battle Talonflame, using the benefits of its small size to hold its own and later evolving into a Fletchinder to finish the fight and come out victorious.

This episode left me with a big smile on my face. I love a good underdog narrative, and Battles in the Sky! is as good as it gets for a 21-minute kids' show. Fletchling was due for some glory, as I honestly cannot remember it winning a single battle throughout this saga so far. The little bird's determination is inspiring, and it was a great move by the writers to have little Bonnie cheer it up and motivate it. This episode was solid in all regards, from dialogue to voice-acting to even limiting Team Rocket's screen time. As for some other details, the character of the day was solid--she wasn't all smiles and puppies and unicorns like most COTDs--and Hawlucha looks to be a very unique, entertaining Pokemon to say the least.

One complaint, and it is a big one: having Fletchling evolve into the Fletchinder, a sizably bigger bird, in order to overcome the final hurdles of the battle really takes away from the "not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog" narrative. Although Fletchling utilized its strengths quite well throughout the battle, the way the climax of the battle played out made it seem like Fletchling would have lost if it hadn't evolved into a bigger bird. I would've much preferred Fletchling evolve after the battle was over, or in a future episode or not at all. This episode was especially well-written until the evolution took place, as it completely undermined the whole story and lesson that the writers had going.

Still, this was highly appealing, mostly well-written Fletchling & Bonnie episode. It is a weird duo to feature, but it worked great!

Grade: B+

Last edited:

JudySpell

Banned
Sky Battles were a good game idea and I was sad that Serena didn't make this her goal. Seeing Fletchling evolve and defeat Talonflame made my jaw drop. 8/10

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I wish Serebii had had the pictures up on their episode pics and guide page, it's glitched and shows a different episode instead. I had no idea what happens in this episode ahead of time apart from Fletchling evolving.

Anyway, it was a pretty good episode. It's definitely a good Bonnie episode, as she gets to help Fletchling realize the advantages of being smaller before it evolves. I'm not too surprised Hawlucha went down fast because it was still pretty newly caught and didn't have much training, but at least Fletchling and then Fletchinder really got to show its stuff. I also liked Clemont having trouble with the air chamber, LOL.

7/10

Pteranodonte

Battles in the Sky! offers Ash & Co. a high-flying experience while also appealing to those that are shorter in stature. In awe over the Sky Battles in Kalos Canyon, Ash & Co. defy physics by getting on some wing suits and taking to the skies...except for Bonnie, that is. Little Sister will have to sit this one out, as she is simply not tall enough to be allowed to participate. However, she quickly gains some company when Ash is challenged by Moria, a sky trainer, and her Talonflame which refuses to battle the pint-sized Fletchling and instead opts to take on the much more imposing Hawlucha. Extremely disheartened, Fletchling is taken into the arms of Bonnie, who strongly relates to the Tiny Robin Pokemon and its size discrimination. Bonnie is able comfort Fletchling and convince it of the exclusive strengths it has because of its diminutive size. Later in the episode, Fletchling finally does get a chance to battle Talonflame, using the benefits of its small size to hold its own and later evolving into a Fletchinder to finish the fight and come out victorious.

This episode left me with a big smile on my face. I love a good underdog narrative, and Battles in the Sky! is as good as it gets for a 21-minute kids' show. Fletchling was due for some glory, as I honestly cannot remember it winning a single battle throughout this saga so far. The little bird's determination is inspiring, and it was a great move by the writers to have little Bonnie cheer it up and motivate it. This episode was solid in all regards, from dialogue to voice-acting to even limiting Team Rocket's screen time. As for some other details, the character of the day was solid--she wasn't all smiles and puppies and unicorns like most COTDs--and Hawlucha looks to be a very unique, entertaining Pokemon to say the least.

One complaint, and it is a big one: having Fletchling evolve into the Fletchinder, a sizably bigger bird, in order to overcome the final hurdles of the battle really takes away from the "not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog" narrative. Although Fletchling utilized its strengths quite well throughout the battle, the way the climax of the battle played out made it seem like Fletchling would have lost if it hadn't evolved into a bigger bird. I would've much preferred Fletchling evolve after the battle was over, or in a future episode or not at all. This episode was especially well-written until the evolution took place, as it completely undermined the whole story and lesson that the writers had going.

Still, this was highly appealing, mostly well-written Fletchling & Bonnie episode. It is a weird duo to feature, but it worked great!

Grade: B+

One note: Fletchling actually was the first of Ash's Kalos Pokémon to get a win, beating Viola's Surskit in the first gym battle after it defeated Pikachu..

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Omg, that chick's Talonflame was so smug and that annoyed me. But Fletchling watched the battle between Hawlucha and Talonflame and even picked up on Talonflame's moves, so I knew that was going to come into play. :p

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Aww Chespin copying Hawlucha's pose was quite adorable. I was glad that we got to see sky battles in this episode and even tho Fletchling evolved, I didn't expect that he would defeat Moria's Talonflame. ^^;

Leonhart

Imagineer
Seeing Serena and Citron in Sky Battle suits made me want to see them try participating in Sky Battles, although sadly, they weren't qualified to. I was surprised that Yayakoma and Luchabull were allowed to compete in Sky Battles unlike in the X/Y games, and I was awestruck when Satoshi's Hinoyakoma defeated Nami's Fiarrow.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Nice to see Fletchling getting some attention. The battles were good, but my only gripe was Ash spamming Flame Charge at the end, though he was pressing his advantage so I can give him that. Also would have liked to see Hawlucha put up a better fight.