• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling A Cute Drama (593)

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
According to the Law of Insigificant Style Alterations (LISA), the clothing changes in the last 5 seconds of this episode deem it not a filler, and therefore, any complaints about it being a boring filler will look somehow even stupider than usual.

Bullet-point review alert now at Level 5. It's a full-fledged Random Thought Epidemic. A RANDEMIC!

- A wind tunnel. No really, that's hysterical, since the gang is in a tunnel and there's wind!
- Ambipom still in opening. Sorry, Buizel.
- Psychotic COTD is just like every Poke-mom out there. Let the kiddies play with little Buneary or Pikachu, but don't EVER let them near that Dialga action figure!
- Piplup's freak-out and like designs suddenly push Shimura to a new level. The fact that Piplup remained "stone cold" for several scenes added to the artistic hilarity.
- It's Captain Two-Head-No-Arm! Also known by its nerd term "Cherubi".
- Ah, Solar Beam. How I miss the days when people actually thought that was a good attack.
- Big LOL at Manene sulking under a tree with black aura fuming from it.
- Ash: "Wow Brock, long time no see! You really followed us all the way to Sinnoh?"
- A Chingling? I still don't get why they took a Pokemon as useless as Chimecho and then made an even more useless version of it.
- Shellder...Shellder...Shellder...nope. Don't remember such a Pokemon.
- New clothes. Meh.

Since we're about to have a big stream of important episodes, it was good to have something lighthearted beforehand, even though I would love to have seen Cherrim also. Loved the COTD in this as well as the shockingly creative art. Certainly a watchable episode for those who foolishly passed it off as a waste of time in speculation.

uber gon

Accept Change
Well the new animation sure makes Shellder a lot more emotional than in the original series.

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
I really enjoyed this episode. Nice to have a few short and simple battles in one episode. And Marilyn was a pretty cool character, funny how Piplup and Mime Jr. got depressed after she insulted them.

Shellder? Didn't see that coming, but good all the same. It was really cute after it fought Team Rocket.

And yay for the Platinum Clothes. Although I wonder if they are going to keep them? Dawn's is the only one that is totally new. Ash and Brock just get a jacket like Lucas'.

She creeps me out when she enters her euphoric mood. Also, I've never seen Takeshi argue over to a girl like that. Great episode overall. Oh my gosh, Sudowoodo's dramatic scene was so well put. What was that music in Croagunk's scene and I remember that theme during the debut of shellder. that was back in the kanto/johto days when they were playing some scenes to fill up the climax. sounds pretty good for a remix.

Last edited:

Isis-sama

Random question - if the trainer girl in this episode only liked "cute" pokemon, then why did she own a Shellder, a pokemon that she thought (rightly so, I admit) was uncute?

Sparkleo

Low on power...
I like cute as much as the next guy, but this one was... nauseating...

I do like the whole cute but deadly/tough thing, but the way the COTD looked at the cuteness factor was... swallow.

Poor Buneary got pwned by a mutant cherry...

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Still find it odd they picked a Pokemon like Shellder, whose cuteness can easily be debated, rather than a flat-out ugly dude.

This should have been Magmortar's big debut!

uber gon

Accept Change
Still find it odd they picked a Pokemon like Shellder, whose cuteness can easily be debated, rather than a flat-out ugly dude.

This should have been Magmortar's big debut!

Paul will probably debut Magmortar.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Ok...so she thought Shellder was ugly. So why did she capture it in the first place?

and please...what did Jessie shout about Shellder?

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
I wonder if the reason Dawn's hat and hair clips haven't changed is so they can include them in Dawn's 5th generation guest appearence.

Charizard Lord

Probably Napping
Meh, ok episode I guess. Seeing all of Brock's Pokemon appear AND battle was certainly a treat, considering how little screentime they get. Aside from that, and the amusing Shellder appearance, the episode was pretty boring. LOL at the insulted Piplup and Mime Jr. though. At least we have some action in store for the weeks ahead...

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Lol. You actually think they'd change her hair clips? The only reason they've got the jackets (and in Dawns case, scarf) is simply because its cold. Even they will be gone by the time they hit Mt.Coronet again.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I wonder if Ambipom is kept in the opening because it'll eventually meet up with Dawn again.

Perhaps it decides it doesn't like ping pong anymore and wants to return to Dawn's roster.

I wonder.

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
I only know two things: Ambipom needs to appear for the Grand Festival at the very least (who knows how long Ou and Ambipom will be in Kanto?), and if it does, it should have learned Fire Punch.

Anyway, this episode sounds kind of pointless. How many inner beauty episodes have we already had throughout the whole course of the anime?

Misty Fanboi13

Over Analyst
I can't believe Buneary lost to a Cherubi....Ambipom may have had its fair share of losses, but if she doesn't come back for the Grand Festival, Dawn is screwed. I mean, no disrespect to Buneary, its my second favorite Pokemon of Dawn's (well I guess first now, since Ambipom's gone) but really...losing to a Cherubi....

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I think they simply kept Ambipom in the opening because they're gonna change it soon. I can imagine once the Regigigas/Monferno stuff is through, they might redo the Opening. Or maybe a whole new opening entirely (since I figure Darkrai and Regigigas were in the opening to foreshadow their appearances, and it seems I was right).

This opening will have been around for almost 40-episodes, and irc the middle openings always seem to last the shortest. Like I recall Challenger only lasting from April to November, a mere 8 months.