• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Battling a Thaw in Relations! (656)

CaptainGarchomp

Events&ShiniesTrader
Well for the DP Series,It was definitely a good one.Pokemon BW would be a better one and hopefully it will also be a longer one.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Rewatched this battle again, and I must say, it was an awesome battle. The only thing i could change would be putting ursaring or torterra instead of froslass.

silent_control

Anyway, I think that there was a flaw in Paul's strategy. I think that he thought that Ash would make a team to counter his initial pokemon: Ursaring, Torterra, Magmortar etc; he didn't expect Ash to use the same pokemon. Anyway, I'm happy that Ash finally won.

glaceon1997

Rewatch it again and again, such an awesome episode! Like the way how the rivalry ended up, the bond they made is the best part! Hope Paul will reappear in BW but I think it's impossible >_<

wobbanut

Team Awesome
At last, Ash finally beats Paul in one heck of an epic battle. I enjoyed it. :) It's just short of being as epic as Ash's defeat of Gary in Johto (the fact that they knew each other longer puts Gary one up on Paul), but especially considering Paul's massacre of Ash's team the previous season it was satisfying.

Too bad Trip is falling so short of expectations that I don't see his inevitable matchup with Ash measuring up. Heck, Ash vs. BIANCA would interest me more. LOL

9/10

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
paul is the best rival, and the coolest, and the smartest and strongest. its like red vs green in the manga.
and im sOoo glad it was 3part battle, cuz it was THAT significant!!!
Dear paul: i'll miss u :( and trip is a disgrace
and ash: in sinnoh, u were at the top of ur game. in unova, ur a loser

DMerle

Guess who's back
Electivire VS Infernape is undoubtedly the best battle in the anime to date (imo anyway) I truly think Paul would of stood a chance against even Tobias if he'd used Electivire/Magmortar/Ursaring/Drapion/Torterra/Honchkrow.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Best Pokémon anime battle ever? Definitely a contender. It had me on the edge of my seat all throughout it. Paul and Ash were seriously amazing. I just knew it'd come to Electivire vs. Infernape and I also knew it'd be an amazing battle to watch. Infernape really showed its mastery of Blaze, I was so happy for it. The hug with Ash when they won was seriously so heartwarming. I could even see Paul show a bit of emotion when he congratulated Electivire. So glad to see Paul finally respects Ash and, while not friends, they're not enemies anymore. One of the best episodes of Diamond and Pearl. Can't wait to see Ash versus Tobias.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
paul is the best rival, and the coolest, and the smartest and strongest. its like red vs green in the manga.
and im sOoo glad it was 3part battle, cuz it was THAT significant!!!
Dear paul: i'll miss u :( and trip is a disgrace
and ash: in sinnoh, u were at the top of ur game. in unova, ur a loser

Paul is a strong trainer but he was not a good trainer! And Trip is a new trainer but is very smart so until the end of BW2 I'm sure we will see an epic battle between Ash and Trip!

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
I really enjoyed this battle. It was accurate to a real in-game battle - no matter how well-trained your Pokemon are, some will hold their weight better than others. Case in point, Drapion.

I would have liked the referee to just call Infernape down, though. I hate the fake knockouts like that. Most of the time the ref just says 'out!' without waiting.

I enjoyed Brock's moment of personal congratulation to Ash: he's finally watched his little bro grow up. He's taught him everything. He's ready to move on.

Wonder what Paul was going to say after the battle?

LizardonX

Banned
This ep is awesome, and now I know the real reason for drapion's deliberate overpoweredness after finally watching the last ep in galactic battles that I didn't see(the gliscor one), they needed to show off how much gliscor improved so it would either be torterra or some new powerhouse and I guess they wanted to leave the true strength of that turtle to mystery. though infernape would beat it anyways.

9/10

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
K love this battle. so epic. I don't care about pokemon wins that's how epic it was. Infernape was SUPPOSED to get the spotlight here, and fudge... in pokemon battles certain pokemon take spotlight ALL the time.
I'm just glad the writers proved they can actually make something like this. <3... All of the toxic spikes strategies and luck and shiz. <3...

oh and to the people complaining about Paul not showing emotion about loosing, and being contradicting to his character...

Think long and hard back to when Paul lost to Brandon. What did Brandon say to Paul? He said (I'm quoting the english dub which I don't think is THAT off.)

"Your pokemon are trained well, but you lack the ability to control your emotions during the heat of battle! When you fix this, I will take your challenge once more. *slight smile at the end*

Paul looks down, and then bows; thanking brandon for helping him. (keep in mind he just had a rage fit about Reggi not being able beat Brandon.)

IE, Brandon made him think about it and told him to NOT get pissy, and he obviously took those words to heart. That was when he started to change.

And another fudgin thing, didn't paul NOT know what ash was going to do?

Paul only figured out that Ash was using the same pokemon from the lake that he 6-2'd around halfway through the battle. He didn't know what ash was going to use. In fact he seemed quite surprised that ash used those same pokemon, but then guesses that he should of expected as much.

IE, Paul used different pokemon because he didn't think ash was gonna use the same pokemon he used at the lake. He hasn't really done it earlier in the league, and I'm guessing paul thought ash would actually try to counter him with different pokemon. So using a completely different team would screw up any counter idea.

And even then Paul's team was quite competent. :/...From my perspective, that was a choice that seems very logical.

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member
This episode picked up where the last episode left off. Ash and Paul were in the middle of their Sinnoh League match, and both of them were doing their best to win. I really wasn’t expecting Ash's Gliscor to get hit by Paul's Drapion’s Pin Missles.... because in the previous episode, Gliscor seemed to be dodge the Pin Missiles very guess. I guess Drapion fired off one too many Pin Missile at once, so Gliscor couldn't dodge them all. Man, I thought Gliscor was finished when Paul ordered Drapion to use Cross Poison, but thankfully Gliscor used Fire Fang and it caused Drapion to get burned. It was awesome how Gliscor easily dodged Cross Poison before hitting Drapion with Fire Fang. It was obvious that Fire Fang did a lot of damage, hence why Drapion finally fainted.

It was kinda confusing when Paul brought out Electivire and told it to use Thunder on the field, but it all made sense when it's revealed that Paul was using the debris from the field to pelt a Pokemon resistant to electricity. But how did Paul came up something like that? Well, It appeared that Paul got the idea from Ash's Infernape’s Flare Blitz/Dig combo. Gliscor tried to damage Electivire by attacting it with Giga Impact, but suprisingly, Electivire managed to block the Giga Impact! Whoa, That’s some impressive defense that Electivire has. I knew Gliscor was gonna lose.... and it did. It was so weird hearing Paul compliment Electvire. he never complimented his Pokémon before, but now he is doing it? I guess that's a character development moment for Paul.

Ash's next Pokémon was Pikachu, who did pretty well against Electivire. LOL, Paul was so surprised by Pikachu dodging the debris with Quick Attack. I guess Paul wasn't expecting Pikachu to do something like that. Pikachu breaking free of Electivire’s grasp was impressive, sadly it wasn't enough to defeat Electivire. Ash tried to damage Electivire with Volt Tackle/Iron Tail combo, but it didn't do a thing because Electivire was way stronger than Pikachu. Pikachu lost to Electivire, but I'm glad he at least pulled of a good fight before losing.

The battle between Infernape and Electivire was the best! Paul did a BIG mistake by calling Infernape pathetic when it was struggling to stay put. Paul's words caused Infernape to get really angry and unleashing its Blaze ability. Then Infernape pretty much destroyed Electivire with Flamethrower, Mach Punch and Flare Blitz. After the huge attackfest, it seemed like the battle was going to continue because Electivire was still standing.... but it didn't happen. Electivire fell down and was unable to fight, ending the biggest battle in the anime and making Ash Ketchum the WINNER.

This is, hands down, one of the most epic battles in the history of the Pokémon Animé. It's 'bout time Ash beat his strongest rival Paul in a Pokémon battle, and I'm glad he did. It showed how far he has become in his journey. Infernape playing a big part was the most awesome thing about the whole battle. The Chimchar whom Paul treated badly and eventually released, defeated three of Paul's Pokémon and also taught Paul a lesson. Ash and Paul's rivalry wrapped up nicely in this episode, but I think it would've been better if they explored Paul's character a little more. Especially the "my Pokémons are tools" thing that has been a part of his personality since the beginning of this series. Oh well, it dosen't matter since they gave him some character development towards the end of DP.

On a side note, Masaaki Iwane's animation was really good in this episode, it made the battle even more better in my opinion. Ash and Trip's Unova League battle is lame compared to this epic battle.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I love this episode Electivire vs Infernape was epic. The entire battle was great and Infernapes blaze was amazing. This was an end to a great rivalry. I give it a 20/10.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Electrevivre goading Infernape to continue was just epic. THAT BLAZE. This 6 v 6. So epic. I we have another battle near this quality in XY's League I'll be very happy.

AdrenalinDragon

This episode was extremely satisfying to see Ash finally defeat his rival Paul after a very tough but rewarding three-parter battle, and this 6 V 6 was one of the best in the whole series, so I'll probably rate it along with Malice in Wonderland as my all-time favourite Sinnoh episode.

9/10